Biggest Loser Finale...what is going on??

Options

Replies

• oakaustrian
    Options

What makes you think that she is unhealthy? It said she was at 19% bodyfat. If that is unhealthy, then I guess I have one foot in the grave, and jillian 6 feet under. Yet I'm willing to bet that Rachel could probably outrun the majority of people making the negative comments about her.

Yes, she is very thin. But she is far from anorexic. And judging by the amount of negative comments on here and the internet in general, we have a huge perception problem in this country when it comes to what "healthy" looks like.

She's not at 19% bodyfat here, she was at 19% in the footage of the semi-final show presented last week but was filmed well before that. The amount of muscle and fat she lost from the time they filmed the portion of the show when it was declared she was at 19% bodyfat, to tonight's footage, is absolutely staggering. She is unhealthy right now.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

What makes you think that she is unhealthy? It said she was at 19% bodyfat. If that is unhealthy, then I guess I have one foot in the grave, and jillian 6 feet under. Yet I'm willing to bet that Rachel could probably outrun the majority of people making the negative comments about her.

Yes, she is very thin. But she is far from anorexic. And judging by the amount of negative comments on here and the internet in general, we have a huge perception problem in this country when it comes to what "healthy" looks like.

She's not at 19% bodyfat here, she was at 19% in the footage of the semi-final show presented last week but was filmed well before that. The amount of muscle and fat she lost from the time they filmed the portion of the show when it was declared she was at 19% bodyfat, to tonight's footage, is absolutely staggering. She is unhealthy right now.

She doesn't look unhealthy to me. Very thin? Yes. Dangerously thin and unhealthy? No.

biggest-loser-rachel-2-400x266.jpg

biggest-loser-rachel-4-266x400.jpg
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I am the one that started this topic and it was not set up to bash anyone thin or fat. I do think that this episode is going to raise the concern that a lot of people have had with the show as far as health. Do I think that someone can be underweight and be healthy? YES! Do I think that some can be overweight and healthy? YES! But beyond that, there gets to a point where unhealthy is unhealthy no matter how you tip the scale. On the skinny side, yes Nicole Richie is thin, but she is a slender healthy thin. What we saw tonight on Biggest Loser was a different level, at least what I saw. If we are too afraid to say it when we see it, then we are just as big as a problem than the people who call others "fat" or "twiggy". Its not about that...it is about being HEALTHY.

I believe Rachel was at 19% bf on the previous episode when she weighed in at 150 (the triathlon epi filmed 3 months ago). She was literally skin and bones tonight. It's not quite as obvious in the before/after pic posted earlier....but her absolute *frailty* was astonishing when the other contestants and Alison hugged her. She look like a light draft could blow her over like it was a gale force wind. It didn't look like shehad lost ssome muscle tone...it looked like she had lost nearly ALL her muscle. No way could she do a triathlon today...she wouldn't even have the strength to complete the swim. I have my doubts that she would even have the strength to tread water. I am seriously concerned for her health (both mental and physical), because I really identified with her on the show.
  • Thatsdatdiva601
    Thatsdatdiva601 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I just pulled it up on youtube...this show should be cancelled! Rachel looks sick! Several of them looks sick and the trainers know it!
  • stchat123
    Options
    I agree and I loved her!!!!
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options

She doesn't look unhealthy to me. Very thin? Yes. Dangerously thin and unhealthy? No.

Imho, it's not her current *state* that's the potentially dangerous part. It's that she got there so...fast. This appears to be the fastest fat/LBM loss on the show, ever. It doesn't set a healthy precedent.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    I am the one that started this topic and it was not set up to bash anyone thin or fat. I do think that this episode is going to raise the concern that a lot of people have had with the show as far as health. Do I think that someone can be underweight and be healthy? YES! Do I think that some can be overweight and healthy? YES! But beyond that, there gets to a point where unhealthy is unhealthy no matter how you tip the scale. On the skinny side, yes Nicole Richie is thin, but she is a slender healthy thin. What we saw tonight on Biggest Loser was a different level, at least what I saw. If we are too afraid to say it when we see it, then we are just as big as a problem than the people who call others "fat" or "twiggy". Its not about that...it is about being HEALTHY.

I believe Rachel was at 19% bf on the previous episode when she weighed in at 150 (the triathlon epi filmed 3 months ago). She was literally skin and bones tonight. It's not quite as obvious in the before/after pic posted earlier....but her absolute *frailty* was astonishing when the other contestants and Alison hugged her. She look like a light draft could blow her over like it was a gale force wind. It didn't look like shehad lost ssome muscle tone...it looked like she had lost nearly ALL her muscle. No way could she do a triathlon today...she wouldn't even have the strength to complete the swim. I have my doubts that she would even have the strength to tread water. I am seriously concerned for her health (both mental and physical), because I really identified with her on the show.

There is no way she was 5'4" and 150, with only 19% bodyfat. Unless she was a body builder, which she obviously is not.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm trying SO HARD to watch this show, but a lot of the badly written script is making me laugh :cry: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought she was actually too skinny now and appeared unhealthy.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

Imho, it's not her current *state* that's the potentially dangerous part. It's that she got there so...fast. This appears to be the fastest fat/LBM loss on the show, ever. It doesn't set a healthy precedent.

Losing weight too fast is one thing. But that is not what people are saying on here. They are saying she is sickly, skin and bones, and anorexic. And it makes me wonder if they have ever seen somebody who is actually anorexic. Its a sad day for humanity when she is considered anorexic.
  • gobonas99
    Options

Exactly. She basically went from the pic of her in the red dress on page 3 to this in a little over 3 months. NOT healthy.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options

There is no way she is 5'4" and 150, with 19% bodyfat. Unless she was a body builder, which she obviously is not.

Were these her stats? I don't have trouble believing she could have been there. That's 121.5 lbs of LBM. Not unreasonable for someone her size. Obese people tend to carry a lot of LBM--some of it muscle, some connective tissue, etc. If she retained a decent amount, I could definitely see her having been 5'4, 150 @ 19%.

But were these her actual stats previously?
    Losing weight too fast is one thing. But that is not what people are saying on here. They are saying she is sickly, skin and bones, and anorexic. And it makes me wonder if they have ever seen somebody who is actually anorexic. Its a sad day for humanity when she is considered anorexic.

Point taken.
  • gobonas99
    Options

There is no way she was 5'4" and 150, with only 19% bodyfat. Unless she was a body builder, which she obviously is not.

False. I am 5'5". When I weighed 170, I had my body fat tested in a bod pod and it was 21% (and I wore a size 10). I'm down to 162 now and my 10s are loose. She absolutely could be 5'4", 150 and 19%.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options

Exactly. She basically went from the pic of her in the red dress on page 3 to this in a little over 3 months. NOT healthy.

And the show is supposed to be promoting healthy *practices* or at least that's what most of America probably thinks. Nothing about the show's practices are truly healthy, are they?
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

There is no way she is 5'4" and 150, with 19% bodyfat. Unless she was a body builder, which she obviously is not.

Were these her stats? I don't have trouble believing she could have been there. That's 121.5 lbs of LBM. Obese people tend to carry a lot of LBM, some of it muscle, some connective tissue, etc. If she retained a decent amount, I could definitely see her havig been 5'4, 150 @ 19%.

But were these her actual stats previously?

I know she is 5'4". Somebody else said 150. And I am telling you right now, as somebody who is 5'4" and muscular. No way she was 5'4", 150, and only 19% bodyfat. WAAAAAY OFF. I would say more like 25-30%
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

False. I am 5'5". When I weighed 170, I had my body fat tested in a bod pod and it was 21% (and I wore a size 10). I'm down to 162 now and my 10s are loose. She absolutely could be 5'4", 150 and 19%.

No offense, but I seriously question those results.
  • queen_of_hearts11
    Options
    Well said!
    Guess contestants will now stop at nothing for money!
    Sad indeed.
  • HazelDiva1913
    HazelDiva1913 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Rachel almost made me cry! She looks
    Like she's been doing unhealthy things to loose weight. Jillian was appalled.! Not fair to everyone else who did it the right way
  • gobonas99
    Options

Bod pods are accurate to within 2%. They calibrate the machine before each test and run the test 3 times (to ensure no wacky readings). The first time I lost weight (before I started lifting) I had the bod pod test done....that time, I started at 185 with 40% bf in a size 16....ended at 155 with 30% bf in a size 10. The 10s I started wearing at 170 this fall were the exact same jeans that had been in my closet for 3+ years that I wore at 155.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

Bod pods are accurate to within 2%. They calibrate the machine before each test and run the test 3 times (to ensure no wacky readings). The first time I lost weight (before I started lifting) I had the bod pod test done....that time, I started at 185 with 40% bf in a size 16....ended at 155 with 30% bf in a size 10. The 10s I started westing at 170 this fall were the exact same jeans that had been in my closet for 3+ years that I wore at 155.

On average, with error rates as high as 15%.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=175