Biggest Loser Finale...what is going on??

Options

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Also felt Bobby was too small to for a man. The man in third place looked the healthiest out of the 3 for sure.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    She's only skin and bones now.

I remember reading that one of the contestants tried to keep at her end weight, but it took so much effort she realised it wasn't healthy and put on 30 pounds or so to be at a weight she felt was healthy and she could maintain without sacrificing time with family.

Can't tell you which contestant it was, but I am sure it is a common theme among them.

EDIT: And she looked fantastic in this photo

1554445_10201314656250010_1336100621_n.jpg
  • 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Biggest loser Australia- one of the contestants stated that the trainer has them on a diet of 1000 calories, no dairy and expected to burn minimum 600 in the gym- thats 400 calories consumed before you take into account BMR... I weigh a third of what most of these guys weigh, I'm eating 2000 calories most days, earning about 800 a day from exercise! no wonder the ones in finale look sick
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I am reminded that there *is* a $250,000 prize. If I were to work that hard to get healthy, and then at the VERY end have a possibility of winning $250,000 ... I hate to say it, but I'd temporarily stop eating food too. (And then commence shortly thereafter!)
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Agree! An adult woman should not weigh 105 lbs! They need to have a rule that you can't win if you are under the recommended BMI for your height... if they need to change the rules elsewhere to make it more fair, since some people have an advantage because they have more to lose, then so be it, but that was not cool. They should not encourage people to win by being anorexic because they have to achieve a certain percentage of weight loss that is ridiculous and unhealthy for them. Anorexia is NOT cool! I usually like TBL, but that was not good at all. She was appallingly skinny and needs to gain 20 lbs stat! Hopefully she does so now that she won! Jillian's Oh my God, Oh my God, did not seem like a good kind of shock.

While she does not have the body type that I want, I think we should be careful in what we say. I am under my recommended BMI and on the border of healthy and underweight, according to the charts, and you certainly can't say that I am "all skin and bones". "Appallingly" skinny to you, is what some people are naturally. They eat just as much as I do, exercise less, and are completely healthy. I'm sure I would get bashed if I called somebody appallingly fat. Lets be careful with what we say, since I am positive there are healthy, active, well fed women on here that have her exact body type.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    Biggest loser Australia- one of the contestants stated that the trainer has them on a diet of 1000 calories, no dairy and expected to burn minimum 600 in the gym- thats 400 calories consumed before you take into account BMR... I weigh a third of what most of these guys weigh, I'm eating 2000 calories most days, earning about 800 a day from exercise! no wonder the ones in finale look sick

I just watched "half ton killer" on TLC and they had her on a 1000 calorie diet for months. Considering her weight, her BMR is probably more than that. The heavier you are, the more you can cut calories....or so I read.

I haven't watched the show, but have watched celebrity fit club in the past. Didn't the doctor on there have them on a veggie and fruit only diet for the first 2 weeks, at about 800 calories a day?
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Agree! An adult woman should not weigh 105 lbs! They need to have a rule that you can't win if you are under the recommended BMI for your height... if they need to change the rules elsewhere to make it more fair, since some people have an advantage because they have more to lose, then so be it, but that was not cool. They should not encourage people to win by being anorexic because they have to achieve a certain percentage of weight loss that is ridiculous and unhealthy for them. Anorexia is NOT cool! I usually like TBL, but that was not good at all. She was appallingly skinny and needs to gain 20 lbs stat! Hopefully she does so now that she won! Jillian's Oh my God, Oh my God, did not seem like a good kind of shock.

While she does not have the body type that I want, I think we should be careful in what we say. I am under my recommended BMI and on the border of healthy and underweight, according to the charts, and you certainly can't say that I am "all skin and bones". "Appallingly" skinny to you, is what some people are naturally. They eat just as much as I do, exercise less, and are completely healthy. I'm sure I would get bashed if I called somebody appallingly fat. Lets be careful with what we say, since I am positive there are healthy, active, well fed women on here that have her exact body type.

The difference is, you still have muscles. She doesn't, anymore!
  • browneyedgirl7928
    browneyedgirl7928 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I thought Rachel looked her best during makeover week and right before she went home. Now, she looks GROSS and well, OLD! She's skin and bones! I agree that Bobby looked too thin too. I love this show, but this was a very sad ending. The look on the trainers faces, and the other contestants said it all!

I hope they adjust the rules in the future to account for muscle gained -- Rachel has NONE!!
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I think Bob and Jillian's (and Tonya's!) reactions say it all:

BfrnHhZIYAA5cQL.jpg
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

BfrnHhZIYAA5cQL.jpg

I have no opinion on this Rachel girl or how she looks (Not my business) but the look on these people's faces!!

I died.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    BfrnHhZIYAA5cQL.jpg

What the?! When did Bob go "punk" style?
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

The difference is, you still have muscles. She doesn't, anymore!

So its ok to have a low body fat percentage as long as you have muscles? Maybe she doesn't want an athletic build. It said she was at 19% body fat. I guarantee you that jillian michaels has a lower BF percentage. I have a lower body fat percentage. What makes her unhealthy and jillian not? She wanted a more slender build. I have seen competitions with women who have a lot of muscles, and 13% body fat. THAT is unhealthy for a woman. They don't even menstruate any more. Yet we celebrate them and call them awesome and bash this woman? While you may not find it attractive or desirable, it doesn't give you the right to bash her. Plenty of men and women call me gross and ugly for having muscles. I don't see how it is any of their business unless they are my husband.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options

You beat me to it. Pardon me but I'm a young lady who floats comfortably between 104 and 107lbs. And I think I look pretty darn good, thank you kindly. My bmi says I'm underweight, you assume I'm skeletal and yet every doctor I've had has given me the thumbs up health-wise. Quit making such rash generalizations and coming up with arbitrary "acceptable" weight ranges for women other than yourself.

Please and thank you:)
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options

BfrnHhZIYAA5cQL.jpg

The one in the back cracked me up!
  • DjinnMarie
    Options

You beat me to it. Pardon me but I'm a young lady who floats comfortably between 104 and 107lbs. And I think I look pretty darn good, thank you kindly. My bmi says I'm underweight, you assume I'm skeletal and yet every doctor I've had has given me the thumbs up health-wise. Quit making such rash generalizations and coming up with arbitrary "acceptable" weight ranges for women other than yourself.

You look great! I'm sorry that many find it perfectly acceptable to comment about your weight....you don't have to say it, I already know that they do. Just today I was called too thin AND too muscular. WTF?
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options

No negativity intended to either or any of you. :flowerforyou: But I was also not one of the people who posted those comments quoted above (though I did say I felt Rachel was down to mostly bone and tendons, and I felt it wasn't a good thing).

Another thing to keep in mind is that in her case, the change to a thinner body was made so quickly that it placed a lot of stress on her. There is no way it didn't.

Btw, my own BMI is only 20.7 currently (though I'm working on increasing it)...so I am definitely *not* bashing thin people...I *am* one. :smile:
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options

I definitely agree with not blanket-generalizing - that 104-107lb range looks great with you!

On Rachel from TBL.. 105 is definitely too little for her. I figured she would be "optimal" somewhere within the 120s.

I have a friend who is about 5'2" and has an extremely petite frame - I've observed her weigh in at about 93lbs on the gym scale - but she actually looks great at that weight as well. She could stand to put on a bit more lean mass, but she neither looks nor is anorexic/bulimic.
  • CLD79
    CLD79 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am the one that started this topic and it was not set up to bash anyone thin or fat. I do think that this episode is going to raise the concern that a lot of people have had with the show as far as health. Do I think that someone can be underweight and be healthy? YES! Do I think that some can be overweight and healthy? YES! But beyond that, there gets to a point where unhealthy is unhealthy no matter how you tip the scale. On the skinny side, yes Nicole Richie is thin, but she is a slender healthy thin. What we saw tonight on Biggest Loser was a different level, at least what I saw. If we are too afraid to say it when we see it, then we are just as big as a problem than the people who call others "fat" or "twiggy". Its not about that...it is about being HEALTHY.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Rachel looks too thin @105 lbs!
    Normal weight for her height would be 117lbs to about 127lbs. That 12lbs less makes her look a little "willowy".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    I am the one that started this topic and it was not set up to bash anyone thin or fat. I do think that this episode is going to raise the concern that a lot of people have had with the show as far as health. Do I think that someone can be underweight and be healthy? YES! Do I think that some can be overweight and healthy? YES! But beyond that, there gets to a point where unhealthy is unhealthy no matter how you tip the scale. On the skinny side, yes Nicole Richie is thin, but she is a slender healthy thin. What we saw tonight on Biggest Loser was a different level, at least what I saw. If we are too afraid to say it when we see it, then we are just as big as a problem than the people who call others "fat" or "twiggy". Its not about that...it is about being HEALTHY.

What makes you think that she is unhealthy? It said she was at 19% bodyfat. If that is unhealthy, then I guess I have one foot in the grave, and jillian 6 feet under. Yet I'm willing to bet that Rachel could probably outrun the majority of people making the negative comments about her.

Yes, she is very thin. But she is far from anorexic. And judging by the amount of negative comments on here and the internet in general, we have a huge perception problem in this country when it comes to what "healthy" looks like.