What do to do with your big clothes when you get small?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,241 Member
    Yes I donated mine too except a couple of pants which got taken in at the waist to fit.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    yep I set fire to all mine thus far...lol. don't want them lurking around cause I will never fall back there...nor would I "condone" that to anyone else.....so fire it was. now the plain white ts got sent to the garage for oil rags.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Out they go - as another commenter said "selling what's worth selling" and donating the rest.

What I'm really enjoying is downsizing the stuff I finally fit into. It's so much easier to let go once I know that I fit into it again - oh, yeah. It's ok, but I really don't need it or love it THAT much.

Not worried about going back, because I've done this after unplanned back surgery and (to a lesser extent) after having children. So I've got 100% confidence.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Throw it out. I'm never going back there, so I don't need the clothes.

I sleep in some of my old tee shirts, it makes me feel good to know that tee shirts that used to be tight on me are now big enough to be night-dresses.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Jeans I just throw out, but shirts I keep to sleep in.
  • action_man
    action_man Posts: 21 Member
    I'm not giving them away as a "There! This will keep me from gaining weight!" And I'm not keeping them as a "I can overeat as long as they're here!" Neither of those mindsets work for me. I'm keeping them until I don't feel like keeping them any more. When they become meaningless, then I know my new body is really mine.

This has happened two or three times during the seven years I've been shrinking. It's ... anticlimactic, kind of, but also very soothing. I don't have to slam doors behind myself; one day I just realize I don't want to open them any more.

I tend to agree with this. Its taken me a long time to get rid of my old clothes. Not because I ever thought I'd wear them again but more of a "that's a nice shirt, I can't get rid of that" or "well I don't have one of those that fits me properly so..." But one day I realized they weren't relevant to have around anymore. I wasn't going to wear them, they didn't look good on me anymore. I have a few old shirts just to wear for yard work or car stuff just because I'm not going to buy new clothes to get dirty in.
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Give it to a thrift shop. All of it. Don't look back.
  • I duno I've gone down quite a few sizes but I guess I'm cheap and still trying to wear clothes that don't exactly fit anymore
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    If it is a dress or a skirt I really love, I get it altered.

Otherwise I donate it to charity.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    I donate my clothes. I don't need clothes to fall back on because I'm never going to allow myself to be that big ever again. I am in control now, so I don't need any crutches. My 6-year old son weighs about 72 pounds and I have lost a little over that. I cannot imagine gaining all of the weight back and feeling like I am carrying him around again. No thank you.
  • Elafacwen
    Elafacwen Posts: 44 Member
    The better clothes I consigned at a second hand clothing store and actually made about $30. The rest I dropped off at Goodwill.
  • Felecia1923
    Felecia1923 Posts: 61 Member
    I feel that if you keep them as a just in case you are more likely to gain the weight back. I get rid of mine, because I know I will never gain that weight back.
  • I sold mine to a thrift store and used the money to buy new clothes that fit!
  • uhhhDoodle
    uhhhDoodle Posts: 41 Member
    I go through them and the raggedy ones I turn into just that - rags.

Otherwise I donate them
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    I went to the place where I bought my last suit and asked who did their alterations.
    Took my suits there.
    Asked if she did jeans, yes, so I had several pair of my newer ones altered.
    Gave some shirts to a relative.
    Remainder went to the Salvation Army.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Get rid of your big clothes!!!

I've decided that I never want to fit in that size again, so why bother holding on to my old clothes? Besides, I'd rather have my closet and dresser containing clothes that look great on me right now rather than stuff that does not fit. Clothes that don't fit are just excess clutter, and I DON'T have the space to store them in my apartment.

I get rid of my too-big clothes and get 'new' just-right clothes at clothing swaps. Swaps are great for those of us who can't afford to keep buying new clothes only to discard them a few months later as we continue to lose weight. About half of my current wardrobe is the result of attending swaps and castoffs from friends also pursuing weight loss.
  • I would LOVE to set fire to my fat clothes!! I will donate other stuff but the fire thing would just be great.
  • I get rid of my too-big clothes and get 'new' just-right clothes at clothing swaps. Swaps are great for those of us who can't afford to keep buying new clothes only to discard them a few months later as we continue to lose weight. About half of my current wardrobe is the result of attending swaps and castoffs from friends also pursuing weight loss.

Could you elaborate on the swaps? Assuming you don't have friends you can swap with where do you go to locate these?? Because I definitely can't afford new clothes for every size I lose. Thanks!
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    I've donated SO many already. Its funny because a couple years ago I donated all my smaller clothes that didn't fit...now I wish I had those lol. I'm never going to wear my big clothes again though!
  • benjaminlight
    benjaminlight Posts: 78 Member
    Donated em all, save one pair of 'Fat Jeans' for comparison purposes when I get done. I will hang on to those as a reminder... but the rest of them... I treated them like Cortez - burn the boats, there's no going home.

I don't want to have them on the back shelf as a just in case. There is no just in case. I took all mine all mine to Goodwill particularly as I'm shopping the sales at Goodwill to restock the shelves with the sizes I'm in now. I'm down 4 pants sizes, and the old ones were looking like I bought them at a sail shop.

I've been able to resupply my closet for less than $15.00 so far by shopping second hand - figure I can give my old ones to them to help someone else.
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    My wife donated them all to charity. I wish I could have kept my largest jeans back for comparison but she beat me to it. I did manage to save one shirt which I always wore when I was at my heaviest.

I wouldn't want to keep them. I love the feeling now of going in the wardrobe and anything will fit.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    I've donated good clothes, binned some, with holes or rips in, and some kept for the material - kept an outfit from my largest fo comparison. I think it's best to donate clothes though, and I can see that's most people's opinion too.
  • I'm all for donation/ selling for the most part.

There's a possibility I might get pregnant in the near future, and part of me wants to hang on to my fat clothes because they'd fit again with pregnancy (there's no way I'd otherwise regain). Anyone else hang on to theirs for possible pregnancy?
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    The majority I donated to charity and few select items I gave away to friends and family. I kept just a couple items. A 6XL shirt and a 56 waist sized jeanss from when I was at my biggest size
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Donate them to charity or my lovely Mum will alter some of my nicer dresses. :)

I know it can be cathartic but I can't bare the idea of trashing or burning something that is still useful when there's people out there who have nothing, it seems like privileged waste, like a banker using a 50 note to light a cigar xxx
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Donate!
  • lizcraft
    lizcraft Posts: 35 Member
    I donate them and then I shop for smaller clothes for myself. Usually at goodwill or salvation army stores. If I am still needing to lose weight I tend to buy used rather than brand new. It is a waste of money to buy new just to lose more weight and not fit in them in a month or two. Donating them helps to pay it forward to someone who really needs them.
  • Give them away. Either to a family member or a charity.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Donate them to a worthy charity, sell them at a consignment shop or just keep them to remind yourself of how far you have come.
  • fjcone
    fjcone Posts: 19
    I have been visiting the donation box at a nearby church.