What to do with a head of cabbage?

Options

Replies

• PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Cook up some bacon; cook chopped onion and garlic in bacon fat; shred cabbage, add that to the pan; add apple cider vinegar, a little brown sugar and some soy sauce... cook until cabbage is tender and most of the liquid has cooked off. DELICIOUSNESS.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/kalyns-stuffed-cabbage-casserole.html (looks good and I'm trying it this week)

or

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cabbage-soup

Cabbage soup with beans and/or ground beef. Make a TON and its delish
  • saimabhaidani
    saimabhaidani Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thx for ideas
  • bernicesmission
    Options
    Bump as I love cabbage and have a garden full!
    I like to stirfry cabbage and bacon yummy!
  • debbie7373
    debbie7373 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Roxmom66
    Roxmom66 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! I needed something a little different from the usual salad. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    coleslaw with apples (yum)
    soup
    cabbage rolls
    slice it and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper a little garlic and roast it

I like it raw and eat it like any raw veg
  • Weezabella
    Weezabella Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I normally shred it then either saute with mustard seeds and chilli, or stir fry with soy and sesame oil. Never occurred to me to roast it in chunks in the oven - sounds delicious!
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I make faux mashed potatos with it. I steam the entire head of cabbage for 10 minutes with 3 cloves of garlic. I then take the cabbage and garlic and place in my food processor. I blend with 1-2 tablespoons of butter, salt and pepper. I eat it all the time. I keep in the fridge and reheat.
  • clsindc
    clsindc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Roasted cabbage! Yum yum! Its the only way the kids and husband will eat it. http://www.marthastewart.com/315062/roasted-cabbage-wedges

This. Every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Braised cabbage is nice. Slice up an onion and chop up some bacon, saute those in a little olive oil (in a coverable saucepan big enough to hold the cabbage) til the onion is clear and the bacon cooked. Slice the cabbage - maybe around a quarter of a cabbage would probably feed 4-ish depending on the size) finely and add it to the saucepan. Cook for a couple of minutes, then add around a cup of white wine and around a cup of good chicken stock. You could also add a couple of bay leaves and a few peppercorns at this stage, and a teaspoon of brown sugar can be nice as well. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for at least an hour. Season to taste at the end (sometimes I find it needs a bit of lemon juice to bring out some tartness).

Goes nice with sausages.

Sorry if this appears twice - computer is having a bad hair day.

Wow! That sounds amazing!

I have only attempted cole slaw with cabbage in the past. I remember one of my employees bringing some home made authentic sauerkraut that his Mom made. It was amazing!
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I refuse to read 8 pages of replies, so if it's been said before...oops

Cabbage soup.

cole slaw (I use shredded cabbage, shredded carrots and Marzetti dressing)

take the soft outer leaves and wrap them around ground beef/chicken and simmer in some red sauce (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/stuffed-cabbage-with-tomato-sauce-recipe.html)

Make all sorts of Chinese recipes

Use shredded cabbage leaves in your normal salads for an added crunch.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i chop it up and throw it in a slow cooker with canned tomatoes, veg broth and other veggies to make a soup
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Cabbage has a good taste to it. I cut it into wedges and eat it raw without any dressing. It makes a great crunchy snack.
  • Weezabella
    Weezabella Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I make faux mashed potatos with it. I steam the entire head of cabbage for 10 minutes with 3 cloves of garlic. I then take the cabbage and garlic and place in my food processor. I blend with 1-2 tablespoons of butter, salt and pepper. I eat it all the time. I keep in the fridge and reheat.

Is it tasty or is it just lower cal than potato?

ETA - Do you use normal white cabbage or darker ones like Savoy?
  • Bumping for recipes
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Old thread but whatevs...

Cabbage is a staple veg in my home...I usually saute it in some olive oil with some red onion. I cook up some chopped bacon separately and throw that in there as well. A little caraway seed is nice too.

I also make my own sauerkraut...sometimes I throw a few tablespoons of that goodness into my saute above just to get it a nice tang.
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!!
  • RockingGranny
    RockingGranny Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I made this, last night, and fell in love with it. For my meat loving husband, I added Hillshire Farms Beef and Jalapeno Sausage. I love cabbage and this gave me a new go-to recipe.

http://naturallyella.com/2010/06/29/quinoa-and-cabbage-salad/

Author: Erin Alderson
    Recipe type: Main Dishes
    Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 15 mins Total time: 20 mins
    Serves: 2

QUINOA CABBAGE SALAD

1/2 cup quinoa
    1 cup water
    2 cup cabbage
    1/2 cup chopped carrots (I used a cup)
    1 cup chopped green onion
    1/2 cup chopped zucchini (I used a cup)
    3 tablespoon soy sauce
    3 tablespoon rice vinegar
    2 teaspoon sugar
    2 teaspoon sesame oil

Place quinoa and water in a medium pot, bring to a boil, reduce, and cover. Let cook for 15 minutes until water has been absorbed. While quinoa is cooking, in a pan, heat oil. Place carrots, green onions, and zucchini in pan and saute until vegetables are slightly tender. Add in cabbage and continue to saute until cabbage has cooked through and wilted slightly. Once vegetables are ready, stir in soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sugar. Continue to cook until liquid is almost gone, about 1-2 more minutes. Stir vegetables into quinoa and serve right away. Top with meat, if needed.
  • Fit_Natasha
    Fit_Natasha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Thanks everyone!