I am the woman in the freeweights section of the gym

Options

Replies

• Serenitynow29
    Serenitynow29 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It can be hard on the new guy as well. I had hip bursitis from too many miles on the track so this time I took the rest that was necessary. It was closing in on holiday season and I wanted to do something so,I decided to start lifting. I found Jamie Eason's program and it was tremendous because most of the moves have video. I'd take my plan for the day, a headset and my phone into the room. Anytime I was uncertain I watched the clip between sets.

When my husband joined the club a few weeks later he almost got ran out. Some guy was circuit training & had moved off a bench, my husband didn't realize this and the guy acted ugly. My husband decided to get out and just do cardio, for now. So we do our separate workouts and I tell him I'm heading to the meathead room.

No it isn't really that, but I get how some guys get run put as well as the ladies.

Go in with a plan and a headset and "do you".
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    How do all of you handle being spotted?

I was bench pressing just the olympic bar, did 5 reps, and on the 3rd set, couldn't lift the 3rd rep (yes, I am a wimp), had to wiggle out under it. I don't go with anybody and everybody was busy doing their own workout plus I didn't know anybody.

I am sure I could have just rested the thing on my chest until my muscles recovered but I didn't.

My boyfriend spots me. *shrug*
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I was bench pressing just the olympic bar, did 5 reps, and on the 3rd set, couldn't lift the 3rd rep (yes, I am a wimp), had to wiggle out under it. I don't go with anybody and everybody was busy doing their own workout plus I didn't know anybody.

I am sure I could have just rested the thing on my chest until my muscles recovered but I didn't.

Nope not wimpy- not a thing. Everyone fails a lift. any body who has never failed a lift- isn't working hard enough plain and simple. It happens to EVERYONE. Which is why the following words are incredibly important.

LEARN HOW TO DUMP A LIFT.
    LEARN HOW TO SET YOUR EQUIPMENT UP PROPERLY.
    IF YOU LIFT- YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PROPERLY FAIL AND THEN RECOVER/DUMP.

> Google: Roll of shame
    > Or you can or dump to one side- I never lift with collars for that reason.
    > Learn how to ask for a spot.

NOW. That being said- be VERY clear about what you are intending to do.... communication is VITAL here.

Things to communicate to your spotter (since often it's someone you don't know well or lift with)
    > how many reps
    > feeling strong for the first 3- but the last two not so much(i.e I did X on the last one- just the last rep I couldnt' squeeze out and I want to hit that)
    > do you need a lift off assist- say so or not
    > hands on the bar- hands off the bar?
    > Be clear about how much help- some people want to rip it out of your hands the second you start struggling- which is awful- it's like cheating you out of an orgasm.
    That's the money rep- be clear about this-struggle- then let them gentle HELP you- no ripping the bar form your hands.

I often say- don't take the bar- just hands off till I shake my head then give me the assist up.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Nope not wimpy- not a thing. Everyone fails a lift. any body who has never failed a lift- isn't working hard enough plain and simple. It happens to EVERYONE. Which is why the following words are incredibly important.

LEARN HOW TO DUMP A LIFT.
    LEARN HOW TO SET YOUR EQUIPMENT UP PROPERLY.
    IF YOU LIFT- YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PROPERLY FAIL AND THEN RECOVER/DUMP.

> Google: Roll of shame
    > Or you can or dump to one side- I never lift with collars for that reason.
    > Learn how to ask for a spot.

NOW. That being said- be VERY clear about what you are intending to do.... communication is VITAL here.

Things to communicate to your spotter (since often it's someone you don't know well or lift with)
    > how many reps
    > feeling strong for the first 3- but the last two not so much(i.e I did X on the last one- just the last rep I couldnt' squeeze out and I want to hit that)
    > do you need a lift off assist- say so or not
    > hands on the bar- hands off the bar?
    > Be clear about how much help- some people want to rip it out of your hands the second you start struggling- which is awful- it's like cheating you out of an orgasm.
    That's the money rep- be clear about this-struggle- then let them gentle HELP you- no ripping the bar form your hands.

I often say- don't take the bar- just hands off till I shake my head then give me the assist up.

Lots of good troofs. Also, I laughed out loud* in an office full of cubicles at the bolded.

*ETA: Because it's hilarious and true.
  • antxoable
    antxoable Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am the only woman on the free weights area most of the time. At the beginning none notice me, now that i have been going for about 5 months the guys(usually the same ones coz i go at the same time), say hello to me, congratulate if they see i am using heavier weights etc…its nice, i do not have conversations but still, it makes me feel one of the group. lol
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I am the only woman on the free weights area most of the time. At the beginning none notice me, now that i have been going for about 5 months the guys(usually the same ones coz i go at the same time), say hello to me, congratulate if they see i am using heavier weights etc…its nice, i do not have conversations but still, it makes me feel one of the group. lol

The perk of being a lifter- you have a little family that you aren't actually friends with... .you don't get that from the cardio bunnies.
  • Shieva
    Shieva Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I wish i could share this on my fb like site... I tell my ladies all the time nothing wrong with hitting the weights! and to never be afraid I'm one of those women that are in the weight area with the men too! <3
  • Baroness83
    Options
    Fantastic post!
  • liltxgrl4e
    liltxgrl4e Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! I started lifting in October 2013 and had to overcome some of the nervousness. Although its not a problem for me now, I realize it can be intimidating for some. All women should just get in there and lift! Lol
  • jahnae10
    jahnae10 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! Very informative to read all of the tips from everyone!
  • redambition
    redambition Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A very informative read - thank you!
  • kellytheevil
    kellytheevil Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    yeaps ladies dont be afraid. put on yr earphones and walk in to the free weights area. its not that intimidating. I used to think the guys are judging but after knowing most of them I realize I was just thinking too much :)
  • Nimroth
    Options
    The first few times I put on my most badass music and turned it up loud so I could mentally block out the rest of the room, and just walked in like I meant business. I am short (4'11) and fat (170lbs) with a post pregnancy belly, I wear super tight workout leggings and a vest top. I look weird in the gym, never mind lifting. But after a couple of sessions, I just don't care. I have had a couple of starers, but I just smiled at them. Guys don't tend to talk to me other than to ask if I'm done with X or if I'm waiting for Y.
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I love this. I'm starting the New Rules program tomorrow and am a little intimidated. Thanks for posting!
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    This is a great post! I frequently go to the gym but I haven't had the nerve to try free weights either. Frankly, I don't think I could lift much except the bar itself right now. I'm thinking of taking a weight lifting class at my college. Then I would be learning proper technique and would feel more like I belonged in the free weights area.

One of my issues is that I am 63 and my knees aren't in great shape. I'm not sure I could do squats with weights (or if I did, I'm wondering if I might do more damage to my knees).

Right now, I'm just trying to work out heavier and heavier on the weight machines.
  • allysteven880
    Options
    I also agree with you. This is a nice information. It will help more to me and others also. thank you.
  • white_roses09
    white_roses09 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great post! Keep lifting, ladies. We were made to be strong too!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    This is a great post! I frequently go to the gym but I haven't had the nerve to try free weights either. Frankly, I don't think I could lift much except the bar itself right now. I'm thinking of taking a weight lifting class at my college. Then I would be learning proper technique and would feel more like I belonged in the free weights area.

One of my issues is that I am 63 and my knees aren't in great shape. I'm not sure I could do squats with weights (or if I did, I'm wondering if I might do more damage to my knees).

Right now, I'm just trying to work out heavier and heavier on the weight machines.

My first introduction to weight lifting was a college weightlifting class. It was an invaluable experience- I would highly recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity.

As for your knees- I would suggest trying to work with a Physical Therapist- if only for a few sessions to have them set you up with appropriate exercises to strengthen the muscles around your knees (which helps rehabilitate bad knees) without adding undue stress.

A pro-tip on squats- Going to parallel or lower actually reduces the stress it puts on the knees (versus partial depth). I would still consult a PT first, but if you're going to do them try to go full depth. A good way to start is with unweighted box squats. Basically you use a bench/box/stool/chair at a height just below parallel and you sit down and stand back up.
  • jeneferphillips89
    Options
    Bump! I hope to be the woman in the free weights section soon also.... I've been playing around with some of the equipment but not knowing if I'm doing it right scares me