How do you keep your food intake "Clean"?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    basically eating nutrient dense whole foods that have not been or have only been minimally processed. i really don't worry too much about it...i eat a well balanced diet and get in my 4-6 servings of veg per day...a good couple servings of fruit...plenty of lean protein and i get my healthy fats from things like almonds, avocados, olives and olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, etc...but i also enjoy some delicious pasta a couple times per week...i like having ice cream for desert on occasion...jelly beans are awesome...etc, etc, etc.

for me, being clean means staying away from things like Lean Cuisines and what not...mostly because they're just nasty and I'm a foodie and like good food.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<< I am 45 years old and do believe I look way better and younger than I did at 35 due to my "clean" diet.

How do I keep my food intake clean? Lots and lots of planning and being organized. I do not eat processed foods like hamburger helper or the kraft mac and cheese with the neon orange powder, if I want mac and cheese, I make it with real milk, butter and cheese. I go for as organic as I can afford and if I do buy a prepackaged food, I make sure I know what all the ingredients are, any chemical that I can not pronounce is not going into my body. I batch cook things like quinoa, chicken, sweet potatoes and steel cut oat meal. I wash all my fruits and vegetables at the time I bring them home from the market so they are ready to go when it is time to cook them or make a salad.

It is harder and takes more time to do this but I really have no choice, I have an auto immune disease that basically will cripple me if I eat processed and refined crap. It is not for weight loss but for over all health, the fact that I look like I do does not hurt though.

I, personally believe, that how we treat our bodies when we are young will dictate how we will spend our golden years. I do not want to be sitting in a nursing home at 68 crapping myself, I want to be on a hike to Monti Picchu. Now there are going to be dozens of people that are things like gym teachers, stay at home dads and car sales men that are going to come into this thread and tout that "science" does not suggest that eating kale is better than eating doritos and that will fight tooth and nail that a cheeseburger from 5 guys is just as healthy as a spinach salad. I laugh and move on. I have personal experience that eating processed crap gives me inflammation and causes me pain. There is no such thing as junk food, there is junk and there is food.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Vegans think meat isn't clean
    Paleo thinks that legumes aren't clean
    Bodybuilders think that bread and dairy aren't clean
    Low carbers think any "white" product isn't clean

and on and on.

THISSSSSSSSSSS
  • SoTiredOfMe
    SoTiredOfMe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There's a vast difference between the chemical composition of something and the chemicals added to it that weren't already in/ on the product.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Organic fruits and veggies. Meat that hasn't been "cleaned" with chemicals. Cooking with a very limited amount of oils. NOT eating something that comes out of a box. NOT something that is dehydrated.

I'm not looking to start a debate on what "diet" is "better" or "worse". All I'm saying is that this works for me and I feel amazing from my way of eating. If you do enjoy "eating clean", great. If you don't, wonderful. However, don't down someone else's success.
    In other words your definition of "clean" is your definition which is fine. Again a vegetarian wouldn't think of any animal product being "clean" in their diet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • weber22c
    Options
    Would you eat this?

Ethanol
    Propyl acetate
    2-Methylpropyl acetate
    Propanol
    n-Butyl acetate
    2-Methylpropanol
    2-Methylbutyl acetate
    n-Butyl propanoate
    n-Butanol
    n-Pentyl acetate
    2-Methylbut-3-enyl acetate
    2-Methylbutanol
    3-Methylbut-3-enyl acetate
    3-Methylbut-3-enol
    3-Methylbut-2-enyl acetate
    n-Pentanol
    n-Hexyl acetate
    E-Hex-3-enyl acetate
    Z-Hex-3-enyl acetate
    Hex-4-enyl acetate
    E-Hex-2-enyl acetate
    n-Hexanol
    Z-Hex-3-enol
    E-Hex-2-enol
    n-Hexyl-2-methylbutanoate
    n-Heptanol
    Camphor
    n-Octanol
    n-Oct-2-enol
    1 -Methoxy-4-(2-propenyl)-benzene

that's an apple

You forgot quite a few. 4,5-Bis(hydroxymethyl)-2-methylpyridin-3-ol (pyridoxine), 2-(3,4-dihydroxyphenyl)-3,5,7-trihydroxy-4H-chromen-4-one (quercetin), 1,3,3-Trimethyl-2-[3,7,12,16-tetramethyl-18-(2,6,6-trimethylcyclohex-1-en-1-yl)octadeca-1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17-nonaen-1-yl]cyclohex-1-ene (β-carotene), I could really go on for quite a while. There are a number of polyphenolics which are excellent antioxidants.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<< I am 45 years old and do believe I look way better and younger than I did at 35 due to my "clean" diet.

How do I keep my food intake clean? Lots and lots of planning and being organized. I do not eat processed foods like hamburger helper or the kraft mac and cheese with the neon orange powder, if I want mac and cheese, I make it with real milk, butter and cheese. I go for as organic as I can afford and if I do buy a prepackaged food, I make sure I know what all the ingredients are, any chemical that I can not pronounce is not going into my body. I batch cook things like quinoa, chicken, sweet potatoes and steel cut oat meal. I wash all my fruits and vegetables at the time I bring them home from the market so they are ready to go when it is time to cook them or make a salad.

It is harder and takes more time to do this but I really have no choice, I have an auto immune disease that basically will cripple me if I eat processed and refined crap. It is not for weight loss but for over all health, the fact that I look like I do does not hurt though.

I, personally believe, that how we treat our bodies when we are young will dictate how we will spend our golden years. I do not want to be sitting in a nursing home at 68 crapping myself, I want to be on a hike to Monti Picchu. Now there are going to be dozens of people that are things like gym teachers, stay at home dads and car sales men that are going to come into this thread and tout that "science" does not suggest that eating kale is better than eating doritos and that will fight tooth and nail that a cheeseburger from 5 guys is just as healthy as a spinach salad. I laugh and move on. I have personal experience that eating processed crap gives me inflammation and causes me pain. There is no such thing as junk food, there is junk and there is food.

such post. strong logic. no care
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There's a vast difference between the chemical composition of something and the chemicals added to it that weren't already in/ on the product.

Please tell us the difference.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    If you cant pronounce the names of the ingredients or the list takes up half the label, you shouldn't be putting it in your body.

Then what do you eat??? Even fruits and veggies are made up of things I can't pronounce....
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    So you're saying the body can distinguish vitamin c from an orange vs vitamin c from a supplement?

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options
    If you cant pronounce the names of the ingredients or the list takes up half the label, you shouldn't be putting it in your body.

Then what do you eat??? Even fruits and veggies are made up of things I can't pronounce....

Wow, where do you shop? I have yet to see the ingredient list of chemicals on the side of an apple.
  • thekyleo
    Options
    oh man, the butthurt on this thread from "clean" eaters is going to be EPIC
  • thekyleo
    Options

Wow, where do you shop? I have yet to see the ingredient list of chemicals on the side of an apple.

it's called the internet and science
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Take a biochemistry or organic chemistry class. Any organism is filled to the brim with unpronouncable chemicals.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

If they listed ARSENIC as part of the actual ingredient, do you think many may think twice about eating it?

IDEA Fitness member
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options

it's called the internet and science

So its not on the label then? That is what you are saying? We are talking about the label here, nothing else. :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    in-image55.jpg

I don't worry about "clean" food. I have better things to be anxious over.
  • TCarter18
    Options
    I am staying away from things like potatoes, corn, bread, pasta, juice, sodas, sugars, rice, condiments, and any other processed foods. I try to eat grilled, baked, or broiled meats, fresh veggies, and fresh fruits. I only drink water. And I limit the oils I use to prepare meals. To me that's eating clean.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

here you go...

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, and Silver, Vitamin A, B1, B2, and B6, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, Folic acid, Vitamin C and Vitamin E, Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Pottassium, Selenium, Sodium, and Zinc, Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lycine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Argenine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic Acid, Glutamic Acid, Glycine, Proline, and Serine and Trace amounts of Boron and Cobalt

I'd suggest steering clear of you apple until you figure out what all of these things are...