Like Minded Lushes - November

Options

Replies

• lilrhody
    lilrhody Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    How did I miss this thread! Hello to my fellow lushes!

Wine is my weakness - I love the stuff. I actually calculate how much time I have to spend in the gym so that I don't have to give it up. I have cut down from my "worst" behaviour - but certainly haven't cut it out of my life.

As of this morning, I'm officially down 20 pounds since July - although I just joined here this month - so my loss might be slowed a bit by by imbibing, I'm still going down.

I look forward to getting to know my fellow lushes.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Welcome lilrhody. Most of us on this thread enjoy the alcohol and we know it may impede us to losing faster so we struggle together to find the balance that works for us. I have a lot of extra calories today. I really pushed myself today on the workout front so I will definately imbibe this evening. the Key is moderation. Yeah, that's it, moderation.smiley-eatdrink048.gif
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Oy vey prosecco!

Love it, love it, love it. Since it already feels like the holiday I thought I'd sample it to make sure it was okay to bring to the dinner tomorrow and may I say - yes, it passes the test and is fabulous! Especially with a seriously twisted lemon to cut the sweetness.

And I was so happy I was down a half pound today!

And my husband's mother (Mother in Law would be too intimate a take on our relationship!) is coming out of hospital!

And my injured cat is out of danger and will officially keep his leg on!

And my two autistic kids both (spontaneously) did something to contribute to Thanksgiving today!

And I guess at this moment, prosecco not withstanding, I am a very lucky girl.

And my Alzheimer's Mum doesn't remember very much but she does remember that she loves me!
  • Oldbat61
    Oldbat61 Posts: 141
    Options
    Karin, that is all so beautiful - a really great time to say Happy Thanksgiving. Live in the moment and enjoy all these wonderful blessings.:smile::smile: :smile: :smile:

Pam
  • lefrance12
    Options
    Holy Crap, I have been hitting the gym hard... I have also been drinking everyday this week and I know i will tonight. I guess it is due to the stresses of family and the pressure of the holidays. Oh well, I still feel good about the workout progress, lol. Happy Thanksgiving Fellow Lushes!! :drinker:
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    All the talk of turkey on here is making me feel hungry. Proud to say I'm still keeping with my goal of no chocolate or alcohol this week. Just been checking and deciding what day I'm going to let myself start drinking again, think I'll go for Saturday 4th December and it'll be a glass or 2 of white wine. It's actually got easier to resist the urge to drink the longer I've gone, it's a bit weird to think about starting again.
  • lilrhody
    lilrhody Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    karin - it sounds like you have a lot to be thankful for today. Enjoy that prosecco!
  • kalmf
    Options
    Thank you Pam and lilrhody!

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I made myself designated driver so I had pellegrino with pomegranate juice all evening. But now I get a nice glass of red wine as a reward. I'm over 700 calories for the day but I'll go for another big walk in the morning - so all in all, not so bad.
  • rjadams
    Options
    sounds like a nice day karin.

I made some mulled wine yesterday and then a bottle of our favorite with ribeye dinner. today is our thanksgiving dinner so it will be bad. The place we are going they always have the best wines ever. and tons of great food. 38 people and everyone brings stuff. I don't think I will be tracking today. Here's to black Friday glasses of wine !
  • yvonnej1
    Options
    Check this out http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/healthy_snacks/Alcohol.php I stumbled across it whilst checking out some workout ideas. See, drinking a couple of drinks most days of the week is better than drinking more drinks but only once a week or fortnight. Doesn't compare it to not drinking at all though but hey ho :drinker:
  • beverlyfox
    Options
    I would give up food for drinks too...I am guessing from the number of posts on this topic that we are not alone:)
  • lefrance12
    Options
    I am so struggling this week.. The one thing that make it so difficult not to drink, Friends and Family. Holidays mean friends and friends mean drinks... aaargh. The weekend is here and I am back from visiting the family. Now here's to the other Thanksgiving for Thanksgiving being over!! Cheers my Fellow Lushes:drinker:
  • mrhelpless
    Options
    Hi Folks

Glad to see I'm not alone on a fitness diet site with this thread! I'm "cider man", having spent years drinking copious amounts of commercial "Scrumpy Jack" (UK brand) cider. I love every drop of it - cheers me up and tastes wonderful ultra-chilled. Slightly worried about my consumption, I cut down the last year - three cans a night and four on a Friday or Saturday. That and a few "harmless" (!!) snacks. I have tried to give it up many times as it kept blowing my attempts to lose weight.

Until last week, when my heart when absolutely mad and I had to see the doctor as I knew things were seriously wrong. She was so alarmed when she took my blood pressure she asked me if I was really feeling OK while pumping the cuff tight, like something would pop! Myblood pressure has gone through the roof - 220 tops so ACE inhibitors immediately prescribed, have to have ECG, etc.

So the alcohol really has had to go. That's it. Made scared, my motivation is to get well, as well as really lose weight. It is a real shock to me as I felt fine for all these years.

It's hard calling it a night with a glass of water and a very light healthy snack - but it's worth it for wife, kids and myself. In a few weeks time when things have settled, I'll allow myself the odd beer, or cider - but only one. I do hope when it comes to drinking that occasional beer, I don't follow it with another, then another...

So for all of you, my best wishes to you and good luck with your determination! Hang in there! I think it really is worth it. And wish me luck on my new, dry life.

All the best,

Clive
  • rjadams
    Options
    good luck Clive.. I am sorry that you have to do it because of your health but you are right, it is worth it to keep you around. We will definately support you in your journey.

Well yesterday was my Thanksgiving. I didn't log. I had so many wonderful wines to choose from and you know me, I couldn't decide so I tried most of them. I did well on portion control of food, I nibbled a little and I tried a little taste of most things (just a little spoonful). It still amazes me how much my eating has changed since I started using this sight. I eat so much less the quantities are definately smaller.

I hope you all have a wonderful lushy weekend.
  • crazycat59
    crazycat59 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Happy post Thanksgiving All! Calorie overload Thursday all because of the beer. BUT YESTERDAY, didn't have a one! So proud....gonna do it again today, so far with all good intentions.
  • BeemersMom
    Options
    I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. I too have an issue relating to wine. Somehow it went from a social special occasion thing to an almost every day craving. It has to be affecting my health and damaging my weight control progress. All those extra calories and losing track of time and the foods I'm putting in my mouth can't be good. It seems like if I don't get started, I'm fine, but all it takes is one little sip and I'm down for the count. I'd like to return to the social special occasion only drinking, not the every evening's a blur thing. Ugh....

Congratulations to all of you who are setting and keeping your goals. Let's see if I have any luck with this - all the open bottles left over from Thanksgiving are empty, and there are only 2 unopened ones left, and I'd like to keep it that way for a while - one day at a time. And not bring home any more, either.

With all of you to help keep me accountable, I can probably do it. I'll keep you posted, and thanks so much for being there!

--MK
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Hey Lushes...didn't catch up on previous posts...hope all survived the TG holiday

I was horrible and will give the final, scary number on Sunday...need a calculator to add it all up
  • Oldbat61
    Oldbat61 Posts: 141
    Options
    Welcome Clive. So sorry for your health scare - it must have alarmed your wife too. Anyway, it is certainly a motivator to give up for the time being.

I don't think I had a particular problem but rather that it was turning into a habit to have one drink every night. My weight was creeping up and I realised that along with the comfort eating it might be a good idea to cut back on the alcohol. So, most weeks I stay dry on week nights and allow myself a treat of one drink with dinner on Saturdays and Sundays. Tonight I am slowly drinking a glass of merlot which went very well with my plate of chilli. Apart from red wine my usual poison is gin and tonic which does mean that if I am out during the week, and I want to abstain, I can stick to a diet tonic and nobody needs know that there is no gin in it. Hopefully in a few weeks you will be able to allow yourself the occasional treat. If, like most of us on this thread, you set yourself goals it is a lot easier to stick to them when you have the support of the other Lushes:drinker: Anyway, the very best of luck with the weight loss and a much improved and healthier life.

MK, good luck to you too. MFP has been a revelation for me in terms of finding these threads and also having somewhere to log what I am eating and drinking. I have certainly found that the daily log has helped me to control what I am eating and, like Robin, I have found that the amount I am putting on my plate at meal times has reduced considerably.

Anyway, I am looking forward to Christmas in a month. I fully intend to enjoy my food and drink, although I will watch the portion sizes and I hope to be going out for a nice long walk with my daughter and her sister and mother-in-law to try and counteract some of the additional calories.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, Lushes. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kalmf
    Options
    Welcome Clive and MK,

That must have been scary as hell for you Clive. Good luck over the next few weeks.

It seems to be working for me to be designated driver. I'm doing it again tonight so I know I'll be good. Yesterday we walked to a restaurant for lunch so I had two white wines with pellegrino and ice but then when we came home a friend brought over two pricy wines she wanted us to try and it would have just been too rude to say no! Oh well. The scales been up since Thanksgiving and I'm in a lazy mood so come Monday I'll hit the workouts again.
  • yvonnej1
    Options
    Welcome Clive and MK,

Clive, you sound like you are determined to stick to your changes and I am sure you will see some improvements in your health soon.

MK,

Like you, once I have a had one drink it is hard to resist another. I generally find it easier not to have any than stop at one. I also try not to keep wine in the house as it is my weakness, I have quite easily managed to resist the half empty bottle of vodka that 's been lurking in my fridge this month whilst I've been abstaining but if that had been a chilled bottle of white wine I suspect it may have been a different story. I love having a couple of glasses of wine with dinner at the end of the day.