Like Minded Lushes - November

Options
Hello and welcome to the thread that acknowledges alcohol. We like it. Most of us drink it. We struggle with the effect it has on our weight loss. We support each othere when we strive to control it. We support each other when we fail to control it.

November has many people with personal challenges to abstain. More power to you. It is a challenging time with the holidays quickly approaching and the stress levels rising.

My goal is to not drink Mon = Thurs. One glass of wine on Saturday and maybe one beer or cocktail on Saturday and I will take Sunday as it comes.

Replies

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    So I am sick. :sick: sever stomach cramps:explode: . dehydration. :noway: too much time in the bathroom.:blushing: And yet I gained a pound over night.:angry: Just not fair.

I hope you all have a much better day.
  • laurenbausch
    Options
    This is sooooo tough! I'm a serious wino!!! I'll go without eating if I can have a glass of wine!!! I know it's bad. . .
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    This is sooooo tough! I'm a serious wino!!! I'll go without eating if I can have a glass of wine!!! I know it's bad. . .

I do the same :) worth it to me!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Awww Robin - Feel better soon!

The plan is 40 days without imbibing
    40 days without dairy
    40 days without (ADDED) sugar.
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I made sure I left extra calories on sat night so I could have a few more beers.....That's been a tough one. Even when I want to not drink it, poeple put one in front of me. I have been able to say no to the pizzas, and wings, and all that, but I can;t seem to let one beer pass me by.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    I think that after this weekend I need to run a marathon from all the beer I drank.....Had a bad weekend overall and decided just to let loose on friday and saturday....
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    TRAV bpelltier8, Jenna and Lauren, we all hear the siren call of alcohol. It is in our soul and we love it. It just really doesn't help us to lose weight. one glass is fine. In fact it is healthy. so when you can keep within your calories good for you. My problem and so many others is that one is never enough. Thats when you get into trouble with calories, alcohols affect on your metabolism and bad food choices while under the influence. we are here to help and support.

Pam(Mojo) you are so ambitious that is quite an undertaking. I tried and made it 5 days. I hope you do better.
  • alucard75
    alucard75 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm still drinking about a case of beer each week. Even with doing that I've lost close to thirty pounds in two months. I limit my drinking to 2 days a week...a 12 pack each day so that is only 2400 cal each week. I just workout harder during the week. cheers
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    So sorry you're sick, RJ. The mantra is: this will pass, this will pass.

Lauren, therein lies the problem - the worst kind of liver damage - or at least the one that looks worst in the cadaver photos - occurs when a person consumes more calories from alcohol than from food. There's a specific name for it.

I was thinking about a new goal for November. Haven't come up with one! I think I'll stick with 'write it down, just write it all down.'
  • oldnavy1
    Options
    Wow...kindred spirits (pun intended). So here's my story...

Grew up in a hard-drinking Scots-Irish family (Definition of "Scots-Irish:" Half of you wants to get drunk and the other half doesn't want to pay for it.)...followed that up with 30 years in the Navy. Physical fitness requirements kept things under control until I retired from the Navy in '99, but advancing age, changing metabolism, private industry stress, lack of exercise, self-medication with wine and single malt, etc. etc. all combined to produce a 55 lb. weight gain over the past 11 years.

This past summer, a close family friend passed away suddenly. A long story...short version is that she didn't take care of herself. Ate poorly, smoked, never exercised and never went to the doctor. When she got sick, her body couldn't cope. My Spousal Unit took it pretty hard; I got the steely wifely glare and "that voice"...said, "That's not going to happen to you, Sparky."

So, since August, on a medically-supervised weight loss, behavior modificaiton, exercise and lifestyle change regimen. It's working. A little slower than I'd like, but it took me 11 years to get to this point, so probably shouldn't expect overnight success. Down close to twenty pounds so far, and hope to be at target weight by spring. Diet not a problem. Exercise not really THAT big of a problem. Throttling back on the alcohol intake...well.... Was doing fairly well at nothing Sunday through Thursday and a modest intake Friday and Saturday--a couple of glasses of wine each night. Transatlantic voyage on QM2 earlier this month for 25th wedding anniversary kind of blew that up, and having a bit of trouble getting back in the saddle. Determined to do it this week, though. Too much angst getting this far to give up now. But after a tough day at work, the martini shaker does call to me. It's helpful to see others with the same issues, so good to see mutual encouragement. Hang in there, y'all.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    So I am sick. :sick: sever stomach cramps:explode: . dehydration. :noway: too much time in the bathroom.:blushing: And yet I gained a pound over night.:angry: Just not fair.

I hope you all have a much better day.

@rjadams - feel better! don't get on the scale when you aren't feeling well - that can wait till you feel better!
    I will join your M-Th wagon days, but already know I will have to do a few 'trade' days due to weekday birthdays or parties coming up.
    I've stopped keeping beer and wine in the house, but I could not bear to get rid of my lovely bottles of the Woodford Reserve and Hudson Whisky (4-grain bourbon). Luckily these are 'nice' enough (for me, anyways) that I don't have more than one tipple of this at a time...

For those of you that can still drink a case a week and lose weight - I congratulate you, but that doesn't work for everyone.
    I feel cheated! :grumble: and am jealous of you!!
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

I completely missed October due to major surgery the first week of the month. That, of course, meant no drinking. In fact, I was so paranoid about bleeding and anesthesia that I quit drinking and taking any over the counter stuff way back in mid-September. So this past weekend was my first adventure in alcohol. Wow, but did I turn into a lightweight fast! Hit me like a rock. So I'll be very much limiting my intake.

My goal is to keep it to no more than once a week, and given how rotten I felt after just a couple of drinks on Saturday I don't think it will be that hard!

I don't know if it's a side effect of the anesthesia or simply the result of breaking my pattern, but by the beginning of October, I didn't even miss it. Hopefully this new mindset sticks around because even without the ability to work out (slow shuffling walks around my subdivision don't really count as a work out :happy:) I've lost 12 pounds since surgery. And that's without any diet restrictions or stomach problems.

We shall see! It's good to be back -- I missed you guys! This is the only thread I post in anymore!

Liz
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    My goal is not to not drink AT ALL for the next 11 days!

Then I fly to Mexico and all bets are off for an all-inclusive, free booze vacation! :drinker:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Big Lushie weekend for me. Margs on Friday but not too much and I finished drinking early so I didn't feel too bad on Saturday where I had a bloody mary at brunch, then went to a halloween party and lost track of how many beers I had, which led to late-night taco bell run :embarassed:
    Sunday I didn't feel too bad, no drinking on Sunday. Not sure about this week. Maybe I will just try not to drink beer.
    sillygoose, for an all-inclusive you have to drink your money's worth! have fun!
  • fsuxo2003
    Options
    I was good all weekend and then finally caved and had two Bud Selects.....which then put me over my calories for the day but oh well. I helped a good friend clean out her bedroom and closet......she needs to be on the show 'hoarders' that's all I'll say! It was such a long day, and her A/C broke in the beginning of it! (I was in FL where it's still 80 degrees during the day!)

I started Jillian Micahels 30D shred and ran 45 minutes after each session fri/sat/sunday and the scales showed me up 2lbs this morning. Talk about discouraging! Sigh.

I don't think the 2 light beers did it. Makes me feel like I should just throw the scale in the closet and focus and feeling good and my clothes fitting!
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Definition of "Scots-Irish:" Half of you wants to get drunk and the other half doesn't want to pay for it.

:laugh: Oh how I love that definition :laugh:

Robin - I thought I was the only one who managed to put on weight whilst not eating for 2 days with a tummy upset, in fact you're just as 'talented' as me!

Nice to see a busy thread already this month with some new faces.

Day 1 of no alcohol for me, 29 more days to go!
  • bobspdx
    bobspdx Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am one week in, 3 more weeks to go with no drinking. I have put the wine that I bought for the holidays down in our tenant's closet so I can't get to it as easily. Forgot it was down there until I had to do laundry this weekend.

I almost caved this weekend but I told myself I had to start all over with my 4 weeks no alcohol which meant no wine on Thanksgiving. I am thoroughly looking forward to that so I passed.

Good luck to you all this month!!
  • Oldbat61
    Oldbat61 Posts: 141
    Options
    Hi everyone. Good to see the new thread for this month.

Robin, hope you are feeling a lot better now.

fsuxo - I have definitely decided to go much more on how I feel and how my clothes feel rather than getting too hung up on the scales. They seem to yoyo so much in defiance of whether I have been good with my calories and exercise or not. I am still watching the calories (and recording them) but, as I have said on earlier postings, I like to confuse my metabolism by occasionally doing thinks out of sequence.

Have a good week, everyone. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Pam
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Hello everyone! Last week saw a lot of beer (leftover from our Halloween party). The good news is, almost all of the good beer is gone, so now maybe I won't hear it calling to me after work. The bad new is, almost all of the good beer is gone so I'll have to drink the crummy beer when it calls to me. :laugh:
  • amccabe110
    amccabe110 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ay yi yi....I'm exhausted! :ohwell: Wedding Friday night, Halloween party Saturday night....I think I've been either intoxicated or hungover for the past 3 days! Didn't exercise a bit last week, but I am dragging my tired *kitten* to the gym every night-I have another wedding this Friday night, so I really need to push myself all week!