WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Just a quick post to say hi. I had to take my son to his pediatric GI at Duke Children's Hospital this morning (he's been vomiting pretty much every day for about two weeks) and, although I really like her, I dislike that an appointment takes half my day (mostly because of the drive there and back). He had an x-ray (no blockage) and is scheduled for an ultrasound on Tuesday so we still don't know the cause. That child's digestive system is completely haywire!

It's been a hectic mixed up day - an hour at work, an hour to the hospital, two hours at the hospital, 45 minutes for lunch, an hour back from the hospital, an appointment for me, a quick visit with a friend (netted me a free set of 15 lb and 25 lb dumbbells), back to work to finish up, dinner with my daughter, then 30 minutes of walking in place while watching part of the opening ceremonies of the Olympics to finish up my 10,000 steps. Whew! So glad tomorrow is Saturday!

Good night from Carol in NC.

Edit: I have a Fibit Flex and love it! It really helps motivate me to move. It's also confirmed that I do NOT rest well at night.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Howdy everyone. Quiet day today other than teaching for 2 hours. It was well below zero today with a high of about 11. No good news from Oklahoma; Bert has a tracheostomy now for the ventilator and they put in a feeding tube. The high school had a threat of another shooting so that kind of put me on edge. I have no desire to stand outside the school in the snow waiting for hours to see if my daughter is ok again. It was horrible and not something I want to repeat. Nothing came of it, but DD#2 says she was scared all day and about 2/3 of the kids in school got pulled out. I didn’t know about it until after 2, and by then it was all under control.

Gloria: I have missed your post but after reading other responses to you I am sending you prayers for what sounds like it is a very hard time for you. …..Later…I read your post. I agree with you that the person who is ill is the one to consider most. I hope her pain can be brought under control

Juanita: stay warm!

Sandy: shoveling all that snow burned some serious calories

Joyce: hope the wild lettuce helps!

Michele your schedule astounds me!

Brenda: welcome to our little group! You had some tough moments recently and I am sorry for your losses

Anne: glad to hear the scale is moving again!

DeeDee: I heard you today as I made myself gulp down that water LOL

Jane: taxes? Oh my I don’t even think about them til June LOL

Cynthia; great nsv!

Tammy I use a fitbit but don’t synch it. I do synch to walgreens and get rewards points. Beagles are very food motivated too and Benny loves the bunny poo too

Heather: I make a great spinach feta pizza. I love that combination

Katla: so glad to hear your son is home from deployment

I have tried to go back and figure this out, but whose daughter is missing? That must be very scary for you!

Well tomorrow is blood pressure day at the shopping mall in council bluffs, Iowa . We are there for 12 hours and then on the 22nd another 12 hours. Each clinical group goes for four hours, but each student only has to do 2. So I am there from 8:30-12:30 It’s a real blast; well worth giving up some time on a Saturday. We are by the food court, so if the students can hear the blood pressures there, they can hear them anywhere! It’s great to build their confidence! We usually do about 1,100 each year.
    OK take care all, Meg from frozen Omaha
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,375 Member
    Options
    Went to Bi-Lo, got meat on sale and some other things, went to the deep water class at the Y, bought gas, delivered a birthday cake to a lady at the Y, went to mahjongg, went to Lowes Foods, bought Vince some doughnuts, came home for a conference call.

Brenda - I'm so sorry for your losses. That's terrible. But in a way it's a blessing in disguise since it was an "ah ha" moment for you and caused you to join the Y and come here. We're so glad you did

Anne - I don't recall if I mentioned this to you or not, but I had an incident with a company and contacted the BBB where they're located. At first they (basically) lied and said that they'd sent out a replacement to me. Well, after two weeks I contacted the BBB again and said that I hadn't received it. After I contacted them the second time, I was sent a replacement. Not what I ordered but I got something (actually, I think it was even more expensive). I really think the reason they went out and bought it and sent it to me was because they knew that if they didn't, I was going to continue to make a pain of myself. Give it time but not a whole lot. Keep after them, it may be a pain on your part, but I believe you will get satisfaction.

DeeDee - I've never heard of a black eye pea burger. I bet it was great

jane - when the kids were little and we'd drive to FL from PA to see Vince's parents, we knew every McD's along the way that had a playground. We also knew each and every hotel that had an indoor pool!!!!

Cynthia - what a great NSV. Pretty soon you'll be needing smaller sized pants and jacket!

Heather - you could cut up that spinach and feta and put it on a cocktail stick? I would have thought that it would be too runny. What an interesting idea, something decent to take to Mexican Train. I do have some cocktail toothpicks so that might work. I bet the feta is part of the culprit for the sodium. But if you cut it up and put it on cocktail sticks, the sodium probably isn't all that bad. Thanks for the idea. Do you use caliphers to test your body fat?

katla - what great news about your son!!!! And your DIL, things are really looking upward. Your hummingbird photos are beautiful. I especially like the one of the bird and the snow.

Tammy - someone else said to me that they give their cat a bit of canned pumpkin and it prevents hairballs.

yanniejannie - Gwen is ever so lucky to have you watching out for her. So is her family.

Joyce - I think I know what kind of rings you're referring to. We used to have them in the pilates class when we lived in PA. Yes, they were very strong, but they also gave you a good workout.

Pat - I like Aldi for their veggies and fruit (sometimes). I did get a bag of tangerines recently, tho, and some of them were way too ripe. But on the whole, their fruit and veggies are pretty good. I don't think they're good on their price of eggs and milk, tho. They're pretty decent on frozen veges, they just don't stock everything. Stay safe with all that snow. Good luck on the 30DS

For those who are getting a lot of snow -- what do you do about getting it off the roof of your house?

Dayna - welcome! I'll say you do a hard stair workout!!!!

Sandy - it sure does feel good when someone gives you such a good compliment, huh?

Carol in NC - I feel for your son. Is he losing any weight?

Meg - how scary for you and your daughter! How wonderful of you to take bp's!

Michele in NC
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Michele we have a roof rake its flat without the teeth a normal rake has and it has a telescopic handle to reach a fair ways, Dh spent one whole day pulling snow off the shed roofs there are 2 then he had to snow blow that out of the way our house roof is steep enough we dont worry about it but lots of people get up and shovel theirs off not a safe idea, joys of living in the north have a pile inthe back yard thats over my head im 5ft 2 so it will be awhile before it all melts this spring where is spring - 24 c tonite

Enjoy your weekend everyone

Juanita
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Meg: It sounds like you had a stressful day. I’m glad the high school situation didn’t turn into a tragedy. Blood pressure day at the shopping mall sounds like a very good training opportunity for the students, and a good health check for the people who are screened.:flowerforyou:

Carol in NC: I’m sending good thoughts your way. I’m sorry your son is having health problems. I hope he’s better soon.:flowerforyou:

Michele: I admire your active social life. You’ve always got things to do and people to see. I’m glad you enjoyed the hummingbird pictures. Those little guys give us a lot of entertainment. We don’t do anything about the snow on our roof. It would be way too dangerous to climb up there. The snow falls off eventually. We get snow about once every three to five years, so it doesn’t come up often. I wonder how the people who have snow for months every winter deal with it.

We just had a yummy dinner. We barbecued a salmon filet, and had marble sized new potatoes with Mrs. Dash, a little olive oil, peas and parsley, and we also had fresh asparagus. I had a square of Endangered Species 72% dark chocolate for my dessert. I feel like I’ve had a real treat. The store where I bought the chocolate has stopped carrying the individually wrapped squares, so I ordered some online.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • AnneCarolOne
    AnneCarolOne Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say that I went off my diet regimen today. My only excuse is that my hubby asked me to try a new restaurant for dinner. As this is a rare occurrence, I couldn't turn the opportunity down! On a more productive note, I found a near new adjustable bed- a three thousand dollar one- for just $265.00! I have been eyeballing them for years, but the price was too high! I hope you are all keeping warm and close by the fireplace! Brrr..., it feels like winter out there! As the wolf said on Groundhog Day, "The groundhog said that winter would be longer than usual this year, So I ate him!" And on that note, I'll sign off! :wink:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no time to read anything tonight at al. Last year in March my husband had a heart attack. the doctor put 2 stents in but told him there were more blockages that could only be taken care of with open heart surgery. So today he has chest pain and atrial fibrillation (irregular heart beat). So back to the ER, took several hours and IV cardiazem to clear him up but he is now in a regular beat. He will be having a chemical stress test tomorrow morning. I sure hope it doesn't show more or worsening blockages.
    even though I took my water with me I never got a chance to get to the cafeteria before they closed. So when I got home after 10 the only thing i wanted was my bedtime mini meal. So I doubled it. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt me. Lots of carbs before bedtime. I usually eat it a 10 them bed at 2 AM. But it is such a comfort meal to me and I needed that. So I cherish your prayers for me and my husband in the next coming days. I will be taking my laptop to the hosptial with me as it is the only thing that helps keep my sanity!

Joyce, indiana
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello vit F !:flowerforyou:
    Its been difficult to cut down my comp time - read mfp time. But after reading most of the posts I have been just logging my food and ex for the day.
    So, first I would like to give virtual hugs to all my friends here facing challenges. Secondly Cheers to all who have been victorious on the scale and more importantly in the NSVs.:drinker:
    Well after my run this morning I was pleasantly surprised to note my weight had gone down to 71.5kg ( Yay)It had gone upto 73.8kgs last to last week :sad:
    So, what have I done in the interim?:frown:
    I have got back to my routine after the departure of my mom and sisters.
    I have increased my water intake :wink:
    I have started adding a stick of cinnamon in my waterbottle..... as it increases metabolism:drinker:
    I am consciously dropping my cals on 2 days according to the 5:2 intermittent fast diet, but I am having more than the recommended 500 cals:blushing:
    I try to get in half an hour of yoga in the morning, basically sun salutations, 2 to 3 times a week.
    I am trying to increase the weight I lift during weight training days:flowerforyou:
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Meg:smile: How scary for your daughter and you! What in the world is wrong with people these days:angry: ? Have fun with the students at the mall!

Carol in NC:smile: I hope they find out what`s wrong with your son, that has to be scary!

Joyce:smile: Will be keeping your hubby and you in my prayers!

Anaminka:smile: It`s always nice to read your posts:happy: ! Congrats on the weight loss:bigsmile: !!!!

Michele:smile: Are you ready for another blast of wintertime weather? They say it may be here next week:sad: ! When are you leaving for FL? I might have to jump in your suitcase and go with you:laugh: !

Katla:smile: Hope your doggie is okay:love::flowerforyou: !

Have a wonderful Saturday ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,319 Member
    Options
    Not much time today as family arriving soon. All food prepped.
    Joyce - hope DH is ok.:heart:
    Carol - hope your son gets better soon!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Meg - so sorry about DH'S cousin. :cry:
    Katla - looking forward to news on the poor dog.:cry:

Must run. Want to roll some truffles. My chocolate and gold hearts arrived this morning! They look beautiful.:love:

Love to all. Heather in damp and windy Hampshire UK
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Read the last two pages golly you don't come here for a few hours and fall way behind.

Katla
    Is your dog overweight at all. Is he eating still. I'm asking all this as we thought our dogs had constipation problems.
    Brought them to the vet I think they were near death. Ended up they had pancreatic attacks caused by to much table food.
    They were in vet hospital for 3 days had to give them IV meds. and cost us close 1,400 dollars. Do we give them table scraps I don't think so.
    Good luck with your furry friend.

Susan
    I don't think we need all kinds of gadgets. We know at the end of the day if we were good or not. It's mostly for motivation.

Michele
    I'm one of the fortunate ones with a tin roof the sun melts it and it comes down.

Juanita
    The sun we are getting at this time is so nice. Good boost to the moral.

Joyce
    Hope all goes well with hubby.

Only took a few notes other wise I'd be here until noon. I have a Carnaval Parade to go to this afternoon. Then going to see activities on the lake. We have one of the biggest Canavals in Ontario.

well Wii was nice to me this morning another 1.1 loss. So far this is how it went Thursday 1.3 yesterday .4 today a big one again. So all is going well. If I could only do exercise. Did two min on the bike this morning. Going to try for another 2 min. two more times today. Then there will be all the walking on the lake if I can do it.
    So on to a good day again today.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'd like to come back to this board for new inspiration, as I've been neglectful of my health.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    AnneCarolOne: When I go to a restaurant with big portions, I’ve learned to ask for a take out box to be delivered with the meal. I divide it in two when I’m served and put half into the take out box. I learned this trick from people right here on MFP. I am able to enjoy a wonderful meal at the restaurant without stuffing myself, and get to enjoy it again the next day. You might consider the idea for future occasions.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: You and your DH are in my prayers. Be sure to let us know how his tests go.:flowerforyou:

Anamika: I love cinnamon but never thought of putting a stick in my water. I want to try it and see what it is like. Congratulations on getting back to basics now that your mom and sisters have gone home.:flowerforyou:

My dog has good energy and is eating and drinking just fine. I’ve given him the canned pumpkin recommended by Tammy and the vet’s office and will do so again. I don’t know if he’s had a bowel movement because I can’t see the ground. I’ll have to go out at first light and look. I’m not sure how successful I’ll be. The snow has covered a lot of “evidence.” I haven’t been able to stand out there long enough to watch him when we put him out.:noway:

I watched a little bit of the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics and was astonished to see a team from the British Virgin Islands. We had a wonderful Christmas vacation there several years ago, and I can assure you that swim wear was the order of the day every day, not ski togs. I wish them luck.:flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Right now,there are no Steps,let alone miles in my life:grumble: ,due to weather. Almost no sidewalks cleared & side streets are a glare of ice.
    FitBit is having a long Winter's nap. Only a few wks to go,Spring is going to be very welcome this yr :love:

Hey patceoh, I have the FitBit ZIP and have it sycned to MFP. I do like it for tracking steps and miles.
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    How many times can one start over. I have just completed 15 of 25 radiation treatments for breast cancer. The only weight I have lost is the 2 pounds they removed from my breasts to cut out the cancer. At least now I have perky c cups instead of droopy double dad's and the cancer is all gone. So I am one of the lucky ones. I planned to lose 25 pounds - the same 25 pounds that I have planned to lose for 3 years. I will be 60 in May and want to move on from the past year of 4 mammograms, 3 biopsies, 2 needle locations, 2 MRI's, 6 surgeries lumpectomies and now 25 radiation sessions. I am very tired from the radiation right now but will try to exercise at least 30 minutes per day. I will log all my food (I believe that is key to losing weight) and attempt to not eat after supper. So I need to be thankful for my now good health and new chance to get happy

Sorry to vent but I am very discouraged today as I ate pizza and onion rings last night and gained 2 pounds when I weighed myself,this morning. I weight every morning when I get up so I guess you could say I am obsessed

Thanks for listening

Ssan
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I know that 7 AM is late for a lot of you women to get up for not for me. UGHHH.I have all his sundry type items that I imagine he didn't think of wanting also lugged my laptop and everything up to his room, It's a workout. He is presently in having his stress test done so I haven't seen him. Talk at you later. Maybe I can get some sleep in a bad hopital couch witt the lights on and hustke and bustle all over the place. NOT

Joyce indina
  • Lauriesongs
    Lauriesongs Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi to all!
    I'm new here - just joined last week. I definitely need to get here more often to keep up!

Susan - I'm sure that the weight gain from yesterday is from the salt in the pizza and onion rings. I admire you're determination to start losing weight now after all you've been through. I didn't think you were venting at all! Someone told me something that has helped me a lot when I'm discouraged about the weight not coming off. It takes 3500 calories to gain or lose a pound. Not sure if that's right, but when I work really hard for two days and the scale doesn't budge, it makes sense. That's probably why they say to not weigh every day (but I do, too!) So happy for you that the cancer is gone!

And - can someone clue me in to where I can read more about Carol in NC? Her son is ill and they don't know what's wrong. I had the same thing happen with my son and I may be able to give her some moral support.

I just joined our local rec center and plan to at least do the treadmill or walk the track as often as possible. Burning those extra calories will really help me get the weight off more quickly. I have a trip to Hawaii coming up and I want to lose as much as possible before that! It's too snowy and cold here to walk outside yet.

I hope to get here more often so I can start connecting with you all!

Laurie - St. Charles MO
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,870 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: It is snowing here today but not a lot. I have a Fitbit but not synced to MFP. It does keep me motivated to take more steps. This morning I got a message from Fitbit saying I had completed 500 miles! Yeah for me!:happy: Feeling good but beginning to notice the effects of the prednisone, had a hard time sleeping last night so am tired this morning. There may be a nap in my future this afternoon.:yawn: Symphony tonight, Jeans and Classics Fleetwood Mac. Should be fun.

Katla - Your visual of a sharpei in a bathing suit gave me such a laugh:laugh: I have been working in pools since 1969 and spent a lot of time in bathing suits. I am hoping to get my thighs tightened up with horseback riding.

Joyce - Hope your DH's tests come out well. My DH finally had bypass surgery two years ago after five stents. It was hard but he is now able to be off the Plavix required by the stents and that has made it easier for other medical concerns.

Healing angels to those who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Take care all, Sue in SD
  • drlewando
    drlewando Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I slowly shrugged off the holidays in January..... Each week improving the discipline.
    The few holidays pounds that were added were removed in January.

February is serious though.

Yoga class twice a week.
    Pilates twice a week with home DVD.
    Daily walking/fitbit updates with goal of 8K average
    Daily MFP updated and 1500 caloies
    Journal daily to maintain my focus.
    Walking,Water,Vegetables is my mantra
  • drlewando
    drlewando Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The weather has been painful this last month. Cold, snowy and not safe for walking. I have started to go to Walmart and walk laps
    around the store.