WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I guess the one thing we all learned the most with my Mom when she was in hospice care was to get IV pain medicine. They gave it to her sub q (right under her skin like an insulin shot, at first but we started noticing that her gown was wet right where they gave the shot and figured that the medicine had all just leaked out. So they had a team come in and put in a PICC line and everything went fine then. Mom finally had good pain relief and rested then. I can't remember what the dose they gave her of her [pain medicine but it was pretty big. That's one thing that Hospice does vs a regular non hospice situation does. You really get the dose of medicine that would in the old days be considered an overdose.

Used my Panera Bread gift card tonight and had a Fiji apple, chicken salad with a ham and swiss sandwhich. It was the pick two where you get 1/2 portion of each. I don't think my husband will ever go back. He just didn't like the sandwich, mainly the type of bread they serve it on, also the potato chips were some kind of a health wise kind and I guess weren't as tasty as he likes. I have a feeling that when we go to Jason's Deli Sunday he will be getting the same kind of food. I am hoping he likes it and we can go often at the new one that has opened here.

My daughter has taken over our search for a beach front rental house for a family vacation. It is my request that she take over the search. It stresses me out to much. She finds homes and sends me the links and I narrow them down. I'm going to have to tell her she is looking in to high of a budget. I gave her the guidelines that my husband had said. When I tell him what she has found, he now has changed his mind. Our big problem is that most of the rentals are wanting a week minimum rental and we want 4 days. Also everyone wants July and that is right in the high peak. I think it may have to be fall break again. We did that 2 years ago and it did get pretty chilly in Myrtle Beach even during the day. My daughter's thinking is that if we went up the coastline further toward Virginia and North Carolina it would be cool enough in July that my MS could handle it. But I guess my attitude is that I should be very grateful that we have the budget that we can take our whole family on vacation. I am on another forum for weight loss and it seems like the majority of them women there are a pretty low income. Being in that forum makes me feel grateful for what we have. There is a lot in my life I take for granted. We would be able to get a much cheaper rental if I wasn't wanting a 5 bedroom house. It is a vacation for my daughter and her husband even if we are paying for it and having to share a bedroom with their 2 children isn't taking a vacation. Also my husband and I rest so much better when we have 2 seperate rooms. I know, greedy.

Was so happy when I stepped on the scales this morning, yep I am one those that weigh daily. Down another .4 pounds. It put me in another number I haven't seen in ages, the 178s!!! Is the plateau over??? Only time will tell. Make me eager to get up in the morning.

My daughter gave me an herbal pill that was recommended to her when she was going off her antidepressant. Wild Lettuce. Yep, wild lettuce. Never heard of it. She bought it and tried it but she is on Ambien and you aren't supposed to take them together. When she did she couldn't hardly wake up the next morning. I took one last night since I had hardly slept the night before. I wish I could take a picture and post it here. My FitBit tracks my sleep and lasts nights sleep was so different than other nights. I think it showed me moving one time the first 6 hours in bed.

Enjoying the Olympics!!!! Had to watch American Idol also so I watched American Idol then turned on the Olympics from my DVR so I could fast forward through commercials. But still that's watching 3 hours of programming in 2 hours before the news is on at 10. So that's my night.

Joyce, Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did about an hour of Jari Love's Revved to the Max DVD today. Tomorrow I'm planning to do the deep water class. Before class I'll probably stop at Bi-Lo to get the items on sale and things that I need that I can only get at that store. Then probably mahjongg. But I have to leave early since I need to be home by 12:30 for a conference call

Going out to lunch with the Newcomers today. I've been to this place and I already know that I'll get their black bean burger, no bun, and instead of the fries I'll get steamed broccoli and have just water to drink.

Then tonight I usher at the Green Room. The Green Room is the local community theater. If you usher, the nice thing is that you sometimes get to see the show (if they have extra seats). They're putting on "Almost Maine" and I wanted to see that show but didn't feel like paying for it. The other good thing is that I volunteer in the box office. If I've seen the show, when people call with questions, I can answer them having seen the show.

bjkidfun - you joined by posting! Now this thread will show up under your tab of "my topics". Put your feet up and hop right in.

Susan in St. Louis - let us know how it works for you lowering your calories, OK? All our cats were rescues, I know that it took PJ years, literally, before he would trust me. But I think they do eventually come around.

Joyce - how nice of you to give that bed away. Sounds like something that you'd do. What a wonderful thing that lady did for you, I'm sure she appreciated the bed.

Anne - I do hope things work out with Visa and the BBB. Keep us updated.

Renny - welcome back! I know you had a great trip

Patty - a torn miniscus is no fun. Wishing you well. Yes, water aerobics will probably be a good alternative.

Heather - all's I can say is "please pass something to wipe the drool from my mouth". Your dinner sounds so scrumptious.

katie - look how far you've come with your wrist, and you still managed to lose, fantastic!

katla - what a wonderful hubby you have to change his appt for you. Love the story about the hummingbirds

Cynthia - what a wonderful memory of your mother!

Laura in CO - Newcomers is a social group. They're in just about all areas. I bet if you googled it, you would find one in your area. How horrible about your car. Sure hope it isn't something real serious.

Gloria - ((((hugs)))))

Jill - you can't seem to get a break. Stay safe and warm

Margaret, thanks for the smile. And here's one for you: :)

arios - WTG girl!!!!

alison - glad you are getting your money back,

Sylvia - out of the mouths of babes!!! I'm so sorry about your friend.

Vicki - sympathies to your son and your whole family on your loss. I have been to a funeral where they played a video of his daughter's wedding and him dancing with her, but that's the only experience I've had with videos at funerals.

Meg - (((hugs to you and your hubby)))))

Sandy - you dear. I remember how little fun it was digging my car out, that was when we lived in NJ

Glloria - you and your stepdad and mom are in my thoughts. I'm sure this is a real stressful time for you.

Just got back from ushering for the Green Room (community theater). It seems that originally the lady sent an email telling me to be there at 7 but then she sent another email to the other lady but not me telling her to be there at 6:30. So I get there at 7 and the show had already started! Really, there isn't much to ushering when its in the black box (a much smaller theater, no reserved seating). You basically have to sell the concessions.

I also need to drop the birthday loaf for the gal at the Y tomorrow. I just realized how low I am on gas so I'll probably need to buy that, too.

Michele in NC
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Oops
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    :

Hello everyone,
    I read through the posts from the beginning of Feb, trying to familiarize
    myself with everyone. I'm sorry that so many of you are going through
    some tough times. The reason I got on this Sight is that I got a wakeup call
    back in Dec. My youngest brother died of a massive heart attack at the age of 50.
    He wasn't over weight at all. Although he was a heavy smoker. And just a week
    ago a friend of my daughter'passed away from a heart attack, complications of
    pneumonia and he wasonly 34 yrs old. It definitely made my mind up to get fit
    and to eat healthier now. I've lost wght before on my own but never kept it off.
    I joined a program at the YMCA and they stress that everyone needs a support
    Group and they recommended this sight. So here I am
    Brenda from Md
  • AnswerintheSky
    Options
    Welcome Brenda from Md. I'm pretty new to this topic myself - this is my second month with these Wonderful Women. You'll find lots of support here.

Sorry to hear about your youngest brother and your daughter's friend. Such tragedies. May you be blessed with good results in your efforts to improve your own health and well-being.

As for me: nothing new to report on the BBB complaint against the first personal trainer. Visa still hasn't called me again either. I guess it's a time for patience.

One of my modest February goals, set yesterday, has been (partially?) achieved. The scale is finally moving in the right direction. It showed that I had lost a pound this morning. :bigsmile: The revised goal is to continue with a downward trend on the scale.

Well, it's just past 9:30 pm and time to begin the beddie-bye (sp?) trail in order to be in bed by 10:30 (another goal). :yawn:

Goodnight,
    Anne, Vancouver area, BC, Canada
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,805 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    just poppin in to say howdy..I have been in an exercise slump,have gained a lb or so,but am not going to beat myself up.
    going to the gym early tomorrow to meet a friend ,5-6 guys that I work out with are shaving there heads for that friend
    Scott has had his last chemo treatment and he I think will be thrilled to see us all.
    we are like family there us early group. I feel bad that I havent been there as much as I should ..

I have to get back in the habit of getting my butt up early and going, with my schedule different at work and the weather,and my brother being in the hospital has thrown my whole schedule off.

Michelle~ I admire how busy you are,I know the saying goes a body in motion stays in motion,so I have to keep going thats for sure..
    I cant wait to see the scale move down again,but if I am not doing anything to make it move it wont by itself will lt?:huh:
    had my lemon water and having my tea and a banana, then a small breakfast..
    I forgot to make the DH lunch yesterday for him and I feel bad,but he has a cafeteria at work so if he needs to he can get something.
    I did make him rice pudding last night,so he will have that for tonight ,and even though it is cold out he can grill a burger on the grill
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, wishing everyone a good day, and strength for those who need it. :flowerforyou:

Cynthia
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Linda C :smile: Woo hoo congrats on the pounds gone:bigsmile: !!!

Robin :smile: Nice to see you popping in!!!

Renny :smile: Glad you`re home:flowerforyou: !!!

Heather :smile: Do you have room for one more over the weekend:bigsmile: ? Sounds like it`s going to be delicious and fun!

Kay (Drkatie bug) :smile: Glad your wrist is getting better:flowerforyou: !!! Great NSV!!!

Katla :smile: Sounds like you had an extremely windy day! I know those hummingbirds love you:heart: !!! Stay safe in the snow!!!

Cynthia :smile: What a great story about your mom:love: !

Laura :smile: Hope it`s nothing serious with your car!

Gloria :smile: Sending hugs! This is such a difficult time for you:brokenheart: :cry: !

Sue in SD :smile: Time does seem to sneak up on us:grumble: ! Retirement sounds fabulous:smokin: !!!

Jill :smile: Oh my, your beef stroganoff sounds so good:bigsmile: !!! I might have to give that a try!!!

Kayzoola :smile: Warm air on the feet…love it!!! Glad your mom only had bruises after her fall! It`s good to hear she`s still exercising!

Margaret :smile: Sending prayers for your friend Lisa! Hope her daughter comes home or gets in touch with her soon!!! Smiling right back at you:bigsmile: !!!

Jane Martin :smile: Would you like to come clean my oven too:tongue: ? A pot of homemade soup sounds delish!!! Stay warm!

Arios :smile: Congrats on getting rid of another 2 pounds:bigsmile: !!!

Sylvia :smile: My 7 yr. old granddaughter loves Barbie and Barbie clothes. Sounds like you get a bargain there at the Flea market! Out of the mouth of children, they do tell the truth:laugh: ! It`s nice that your hubby has joined you! 2180 calories:love: , not even in my dreams:angry: ! Sounds like Bruno is really enjoying his puppyhood:laugh: !

Vicki :smile: Ouch, that sounds painful. How did you tear the cartilage on your rib cage! Hope it heals soon:flowerforyou: ! So sorry to hear about your SIL:cry: ! So nice that you`re going to be able to spend some time with your mom and dad! Good luck with your dads surgery:flowerforyou: ! I`m still working on my tax stuff, not my favorite thing to do:noway: !

Meg :smile: Sorry to hear that Bert is still in a coma:cry: ! How nice that you don`t mind that DH goes to visit on Valentines Day. My hubby traveled a lot and was very rarely ever home on Valentines day, didn`t bother me in the least!

Juanita :smile: Are you finally feeling better? Seems like that crud that was going around liked to stay around for a long while!

Jenero :smile: Swimsuit shopping……woo hoo!!! I always say my legs are too short:angry: , if they were longer I would look balanced:laugh: !

Sandy :smile: Digging out your car and going to the gym, sounds like a great workout:bigsmile: ! Hope your arms and back are not as sore today:flowerforyou: !

Joyce :smile: The coast here in NC is HOT in July:glasses: !!! Good luck on finding a rental home, most, like you said have a week minimum! I love the beach in the fall:love: , cooler temps and not as many people:tongue: ! Hoping the scale will continue to go down for you, that`s fabulous news!!!

Michele :smile: I love black bean burgers, there used to be a restaurant here that had them and blackeye pea burgers…yummy!!!!

Brenda :smile: So sorry to hear about your youngest brother, and your daughters’ friend:brokenheart: ! This is a great group of women, I think you`ll enjoy being here!

Anne :smile: Yay, the scale moving in the right direction!!!! Congrats on that pound gone:flowerforyou: !!!

Alison :smile: You`ve had so much going on lately, you`ll get back in your routine!!! How much snow did you get?

Time to get the behind up and moving!!! Have a wonderful day ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF~~Going to do taxes.Taking Violet to Mcd`s after school.She loves the playground inside more than the food.
    Hope everyone is doing ok.
    HUGS
    jane
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Page 11

NC Carol
    Thinking of you in this hard time. It's hurts to see them go. But hurts more to see them suffer.

Sue
    Your looking into retirement in the best time of year. Summer is great lots to do.

Jill
    That beef stroganoff sounds yummy think i'll make it with my leftover ground beef from last night.

Heather
    Thank you.
    I love to cook for others and the more the merrier.

Kayzoola
    Starting spring clean early great. Will give you lots of free time when spring rolls around.

Margaret
    We love hummingbirds also. Can't seem to get them here at home. But have lots out at the cottage.
    Thinking of your friend Lisa. My god what a scary situation.

Jane
    Busy morning. But busy is good. Makes us feel good about oneself.

Arios
    Doing great

Alison
    Great loss for the doctor. Showing him you care for you.

Sylvia
    I bought a pattern for Barbie clothes and also for the 18 inch doll but didn't tackle any of them yet.
    If I would have known getting old was going to be all pain and gloom I would of stopped birthday at 40.
    Ha could be worse. Look around me and always can find someone in worse shape than me.

Vicki
    Guess doctor would have been happy. Great loss. Sorry to hear about your DIL.
    Good for you for rescuing a dog so many need good homes.

Katla
    Inches of snow keeps you home.
    I have many feet of it. And that don't keep me home.
    But then been living like this for many years.

Well that's another page done. Hubby should be here shortly and I have to make a run to the bank and transfer money to my sister. Opps he's home might as well have him drive me.

Linda
    Northern Ontario.
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    NSV: too bad I had to go out in my rain pants and jacket, but the good news is, I felt them moving around on my body! That's a big change from feeling like the pants were choking me. :bigsmile:

Cynthia
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

This page is such a wonderful source of support! I love reading about everyone's triumphs... and feel for all who are struggling.

The only bad thing about it is I spend way too much time reading it all... when I probably should just be at the gym!

@ Exermom.... thanks for cracking me up today! I didn't realize that the makers of those videos and personal trainers get a kickback from the guys who install the handrails around the toilets!!!

I am almost painfree after my first day back on 30day shred. I'm going to tackle it again today and hope I can walk, sit, and climb stairs tomorrow!

Question:
    How many people are using Fitbit... and do you synch it with MFP?

Have a great day!

Tammy:flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    Options
    Cynthia - great NSV! :flowerforyou: Many congrats to all the losers!:flowerforyou: :drinker:

I checked my body fat today and, for my age, I'm in the lean category. Amazed, as I still have a flabby stomach! They give a big allowance for age though. :embarassed:

Big hugs for Gloria, Vicki, Meg, Margaret, and lots of others who have family and friend troubles.:heart:
    A lot of England is sinking under water. Poor people who are losing their homes and livelihoods.:heart: We have more storms on the way tonight and I am holding my breath for the electricity. But we have had it easy here.

I have had four Amazon deliveries today! Mostly supplies for my parties plus a new, thicker yoga mat. Story of my life!:laugh: I'm loving my bamboo cocktail sticks with a little woven heart on the top. :love: My food will be full of lovingkindness!:heart::laugh:

I've just got my Easy Crustless Spinach and Feta Pie out of the oven. (skinnytaste.com) I will reheat it for Sunday lunch. :love: Between 4 of us it works out st less than 200 cals a portion. I adore it. You could also chop it up and put it on, wait for it, COCKTAIL STICKS for a party or potluck. Michele? ? It's quite high in sodium tho, if that's a concern.

Sun is shining here. DH has just come in from a walk. He will now have to deal with all the Amazon boxes.:blushing: We forgot it was recycling day this morning so we might have to go to the dump next week.

Lots of love to all. Those of you who have them, take care of those gorgeous grandchildren! :heart: Seeing mine tomorrow, storms and electric willing.:ohwell: :huh: :laugh:

Hesther in sunny Hampshire UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Meg: It is good to see you. I hope your life settles down & you’ll be able to post more often.:flowerforyou:

Juanita: Be gentle with your twisted knee as it recovers. Small steps win the day.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: Congratulations on a new low weight and on a good night’s sleep. Rest is essential. :bigsmile:

Brenda from MD: Welcome! Now that you’ve found us, you can find us again by looking under Community and My Topics. Your quest for a healthy heart is admirable. Working toward a healthy weight and getting regular exercise is bound to be helpful.:flowerforyou:

Alison: You do a great deal for everyone you know. In fact, you do more for others than most people. I hope you are able to find enough time for yourself so that you can exercise and rest.:flowerforyou:

LinC: You’re right that experience makes people more confident they have the driving skills to get out in the snow. I’m pretty confident in my skills, BUT it is my experience that far too many drivers around here go completely insane in snow. I don’t want to share the roads with them if it can be avoided. :noway: :wink:

Cynthia: Congrats on the loose rain wear. Great NSV! Mine is looser now, too. I LOVE it!:flowerforyou:

Heather: How do you check your body fat? I have no idea where I am on the fat or fit question and I’d like to learn more. Your cooking adventures are so interesting. I’m glad you share them. It looks like I need to take a look at the skinnytaste website. I’m sorry to hear about the continued weather problems in England, but happy to know your place is doing fine.:flowerforyou:

Great news. I got a call from my son last night. He is back from his deployment! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Unfortunately, he‘s been sick with a nasty cold or we might have heard from him sooner. Our DDIL is finishing up her apprenticeship as a Theraputic Pilates instructor and has received two job offers already! Yay! Our dog is our current concern. He isn’t feeling well and seems to be constipated. Does anyone have recommendations on how to help him? The vet’s office was closed yesterday but I’ll try calling them a little later this morning.

The snow is still on the ground here but it isn’t still snowing and the wind is gone! The landscape outside is gorgeous to look at. I may be able to take the dog and go walking after I talk to the vet’s office. Have a great day.:flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful and snowy NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! I haven't read on here for 4 days and can't believe I'll make it through all those posts!
    @Jettypeople--you didn't mention exercise--that usually gives a person more of an appetite. By exercise, I mean walking, dancing to music, biking, etc. Don't stress out that you can't eat the 1200 calories, but you might be able to eat some of the "calorie dense" foods others of us avoid...ice cream, pudding, potatoes, rice, etc. in order to get closer.

Feb goals:
    Curves at least 3x/wk and doing Jillian workouts 2 of those times
    Planking 3-4x/wk (I can do 30 seconds, but shaky at the end)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I added some hummingbird photos to my profile. The one that is currently chosen is accompanied by others and shows our neighbor's house in the background. The pictures were taken 2-06-2014 with my iphone. My goal was to show our birdies in the snowy weather. I love hummingbirds.:heart:
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    @Katia -- Our little schnauzer was so full she had to have an enema... she loves to eat bunny poop.... and anything else she finds on the ground. We say she is extremely "food motivated."
    The vet said in the future that a little canned pumpkin helps to get things moving. I have used it and it does seem to help. Good luck with your little fella.

Tammy
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    :

Hello everyone,
    I read through the posts from the beginning of Feb, trying to familiarize
    myself with everyone. I'm sorry that so many of you are going through
    some tough times. The reason I got on this Sight is that I got a wakeup call
    back in Dec. My youngest brother died of a massive heart attack at the age of 50.
    He wasn't over weight at all. Although he was a heavy smoker. And just a week
    ago a friend of my daughter'passed away from a heart attack, complications of
    pneumonia and he wasonly 34 yrs old. It definitely made my mind up to get fit
    and to eat healthier now. I've lost wght before on my own but never kept it off.
    I joined a program at the YMCA and they stress that everyone needs a support
    Group and they recommended this sight. So here I am
    Brenda from Md

The one thing that I do know Brenda (and have to often remind myself of) is that our health, fitness and well being can NOT take a back seat to the tough times and tragedy that happens in our lives. Those ARE a part a life that will always be there in some form or level.....just like the good. I know that saying "I'll eat better and start exercising regularly again after this and that passes" only means I'll likely never be fit and healthy.

With that said, as soon as I finish some of my TONS of left over pasta fagioli (tosses some spinach and kale in today), I will head down to the treadmill because my aunt called to check on my mom this morning while I was supposed to be working out and I am NOT going to write it off.

Happy day to all. Try your best to be your best (as I tell my devilish little boy every morning before he gets out of the car to go into school). xoxo

Gloria from "crisp" Metro Detroit
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Quick stop today. We have SUN!!! Chilly, but SUN!!!

Gym this am: ladies exercise then 34 min. on tm. varied up to 3.3mph and 11.5 incline. Spent last night at Gwens after watching Leno's last show. Checked her daily med boxes, sure enough, she had a vitamin in where her coumadin should have been; that explains why the blood work was off last Monday if that is what she's been mixing up. Well, at least I know she's straightened out for the next week. Have a bunch of calls to make on her behalf including one for a script she lost.

Best to everyone........thinking of Gloria and Margaret especially and hoping the missing daughter is found and Gloria's mom is in less pain.
    Katla.......Enjoyed the hummers very much!!!

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Katla, how's your dog?

Cynthia