What to do with a head of cabbage?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Yum! Great ideas everyone.
    When I am pressed for time and need a fast dinner I slice up a turkey kielbasa and lighty brown in tiny bit of olive oil with onions, garlic, and McCormick's Grillmates Spicy Montreal Steak spice mix. Then add shredded cabbage and a couple dashes soy sauce. Will add sliced green peppers or wilt spinach/kale into it if available.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    bump
  • momtastic2014
    Options
    Steam it then stuff it into egg roll wraps and bake
  • Sapho38
    Options
    go to the local butcher, and buy a nice juicy steak. i like rib eye. A lot of people like to season it with a lot of different stuff, but i just like salt, pepper, an a drop of olive oil.

fire up the grill and grill that steak up. just 3-4 minutes on each side depending on how thick it is and how you like it cooked.

stare at the head of cabbage for about thirty seconds before throwing it in the garbage. that is enough cabbage in your day.

eat your steak.

Just love it !:heart:
  • ossentia
    ossentia Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love roasted cabbage.

Cut about 1 inch "wheels" of cabbage. Lay flat on a cookie sheet and spray with olive oil cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put in 350 degree oven until cabbage is tender. The edges will char in the oven. That's good. Let them.

This is also great for a filler for wraps or (if you're being "bad") egg rolls.
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all 9 pages, but if nobody has mentioned it yet, I make these:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/gyoza/

Haven't used that exact recipe, but I have made a tonne of them before and frozen them. Just bust them out of the freezer and sautee or cook in a pan with a bit of water and a lid.
  • cruiserloser
    Options
    Saw this on Dr. Oz - Cabbage steaks; slice head into 1" slices and brush each side with olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper and bake 400 degrees 30 mins on each side.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I cook some bacon, and drain off most of the fat. I cut up the cabbabe pretty thin, and saute it with a little chicken stock utntil it is brown and tender. I serve it with the bacon bits on top, and there's never any leftovers!
  • SugarLou57
    SugarLou57 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump because I love cabbage
    :love:
  • Jaylello
    Jaylello Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Pig's *kitten* and cabbage
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone posted this yet (my computer is being very wonky - need a new router) but cabbage salad as a topping for fish tacos -
    http://www.chow.com/recipes/29193-basic-fish-tacos
    INGREDIENTS
    1 pound firm white fish, such as tilapia, snapper, cod, mahi mahi, or catfish
    2 medium limes, halved
    1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon chili powder
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for oiling the grill grates
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

Cabbage Slaw
    1/2 small head of green or red cabbage (about 14 ounces), cored and thinly sliced
    1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
    Lime juice and some oil

6 to 8 soft (6-inch) corn tortillas
    Sliced avocado, for garnish (optional)
    Guacamole, for garnish (optional)
    Salsa, for garnish (optional)
    Sour cream, for garnish (optional)
    Hot sauce, for garnish (optional)
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Place the fish in a baking dish and squeeze a lime half over it. Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Season with salt and pepper and turn the fish in the marinade until evenly coated. Refrigerate and let marinate at least 15 minutes. Meanwhile, make the slaw and warm the tortillas.
    Combine the cabbage, onion, and cilantro in a large bowl and squeeze a lime half over it. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary; set aside.
    Warm the tortillas by heating a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tortilla at a time, flipping to warm both sides, about 5 minutes total. Wrap the warm tortillas in a clean dishcloth and set aside while you prepare the fish.
    Brush the grates of a grill pan or outdoor grill with oil and heat over medium-high heat until hot. Remove the fish from the marinade and place on the grill.
    Cook without moving until the underside of the fish has grill marks and is white and opaque on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip and grill the other side until white and opaque, about 2 to 3 minutes more. (It’s OK if it breaks apart while you’re flipping.) Transfer the fish to a plate.
    Taste the slaw again and season as needed with more lime juice. Slice the remaining lime halves into wedges and serve with the tacos. To construct a taco, break up some of the cooked fish, place it in a warm tortilla, and top it with slaw and any optional garnishes.

Another slaw option - could use fat free sour cream:
    Cabbage Slaw:
    1/2 small head green cabbage, cored
    1/4 red onion
    3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 chipotle, packed in adobo, finely chopped
    Juice of 1/2 lime
    1 tablespoon honey
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/grilled-southern-fish-tacos-with-cabbage-slaw-recipe.html?oc=linkback

Made the first fish taco recipe for my brother - a very picky eater - he loved them.

Off to best buy...
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    cabbage rolls =) soooo yummy and filling/healthy
    I second this
    Yum
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this one has been mentioned but I like wedges of (savoy) cabbage braised in a good chicken stock
  • pcain123
    pcain123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Jose's Chimichurri Burgers--half a head of cabbage is sauteed with whole onion in 1 Tbsp oil and used as a topping on the burgers! I used ground turkey for the burgers--still yummy. I made my own lite aioli rather than the one in the recipe. Very tasty burgers with sauteed cabbage and onion! I made 12 tiny burgers to put on 100 calorie slider buns. Still delicious!

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipe/17206_Jose_s_Chimichurri_Burgers/index.html
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    jigglewiggles you can cook at my house anytime
  • savvysabby01
    Options
    So many yummy recipes!

Here's a couple we do at my house:

Bierocks~

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/bierocks

and Cabbage Salsa~
    http://www.macheesmo.com/2012/11/cabbage-salsa/