WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• RuthBoone
    RuthBoone Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 50+ and have lost 29lbs so far. It is very cold here this week, almost feel like hibernating! I have been really trying to exercise at least 3 times a week. Ruth from Alberta, Canada :smile:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I'm marking my place for tomorrow. Have a great evening.:flowerforyou:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday!!! I`m going to go boss the boys for a bit this morning:bigsmile: !

Oh my, just saw on the weather report we could have up to 7 inches of snow between Tues. and Thurs. of this week:noway: :grumble: :sad: !!!! This little southern girl is hoping NOT:frown: ! I`m so ready for spring, bright sunshine and warmer temps, and beautiful colorful flowers:glasses: :flowerforyou: !!!

Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    morning my friends,
    Up having my lemon water, then going to splurge and and have raisin toast with my tea this morning,
    then making the DH ,egg,bacon and cheese on a hard roll and home fries.
    I am not usually a huge breakfast person.. what I really miss is french toast:sad: but until i get my act in gear, then staying off the gut loading carbs.
    going to try and finish fixing my bureau today, and will get some chores done around the house.
    there is a Walton's marathon on InSP, this afternoon we have Dish network and i think it is channel 257 maybe watch a little bit of that.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello my vit f lovelies

I am extremely grateful to be home for the day. Windy here and I intend to catch up on some home jobs and latin translation. The next part of the tube strike starts on Tuesday. Grrr. Walking home on Thursday was the most painful as it was pouring with rain and took me over two hours. By the time I finally got home my knees were on fire. I've had to resort to painkillers since then, something I try to avoid, especially if I'm working. Still, before I lost weight, I couldn't even walk for two minutes - even then I used at least one walking stick. It's been a heck of a journey!

I'm afraid I've not caught up on reading the posts - my apologies, but I just can't sit that long at my computer without it involving actual work.

Enjoy what's left of the weekend my friends and have a good week ahead.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • Linda_Lou_62
    Linda_Lou_62 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

So back on the proverbial horse. Went over yesterday but just gonna keep trudging.

Looking for ideas for breakfast. I can think of much that isn't high in calories. I am not a huge egg eater and if I was it would be with toast. (darn those carbs) I had an apple with a piece of cheddar cheese but that's getting old.

Have a great Sunday! :bigsmile:
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    What about a yogurt parfait. With some chopped nuts. Or a whole wheat tortilla with lite cream cheese rolled up
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Looking for ideas for breakfast. I can think of much that isn't high in calories. I am not a huge egg eater and if I was it would be with toast. (darn those carbs) I had an apple with a piece of cheddar cheese but that's getting old.

Linda: Welcome to our group. I often have yoghurt with apple for breakfast. Cut up the apple in pieces and microwave for a minute or two, sprinkle with some cinnamon, then pour on ~175g (=6 oz if you are used to imperial measures) of yoghurt. Stir together.

This morning I am poaching myself an egg to eat on low-carb bread.

ttyl
    Renny (who is now more jetlagged than the first couple of days, bleh)
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning from snow-covered Portland, there's a good 6" on the ground. :noway: I spent a good part of yesterday shoveling walkways and knocking snow out of about 35 emerald green arborvitae (evergreens) in our yard, I knew once the snow turned to rain & ice, the branches would start breaking from the weight. Must have looked funny, old bat out there smacking trees with a broom :laugh: and wouldn't you know the wind blew most of the falling snow right into my face, brrr!

It was a good test of my eating "skills" yesterday, being around the house all day, I must say I did really well! But I was doing penance for Friday which had turned into a snacking nightmare. :grumble: I'm still subject to days of mistakes which magically snowball into all-out disasters. :huh: Oh well, another thing to put on my to-do list for February...I vow to make another step of progress towards conquering the evil :devil: snack monster.

I haven't weighed in a week, I'm giving it a little break while I reorganize my thoughts ... and get my mojo back. I started with the process yesterday by doing an hour of super-fast jitterbug-type dancing in the living room, including fast running in place and jumping jacks. It felt great, and really helped my attitude. Love dancing! I overdid it a bit, though, this morning I'm a little sore.

Welcome to everyone new! :flowerforyou: I'm not able to write often, but I do pop in occasionally and read up on what everyone's been doing.

Have a wonderful day!

:smile: jb in Portland Oregon where the rhododendrons are decked with cute little icicles
  • Kayzoola
    Options
    Joyce, usually rabbits are like giant termites with their chewing, but this one is elderly, and has bad teeth, so my living room is safe. I would have loved all the animals at your house. What fun!

Linda Lou, I have the same breakfast almost every day, a fourth cup of pure oat bran topped with various seeds, nuts, cinnamon and fruit. I stir in a tablespoon of ground flaxseed too. I never add salt or sugar, other than the fruit. Just a little water, and two minutes in the microwave makes an evil-looking pudding. Somehow, my husband and I have gotten to rather like it. Mmmmm...fiber :tongue:

We are enjoying a winter wonderland this morning with fresh snow that fell overnight.
    Kayzoola (PNW USA)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Have a great sun!!
    Off to church.
    Linda,how about oatmeal for breakfast.
    HUGS
    jane
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DeeDee: We have had snow and may have some freeing rain today before things melt off. We’re getting tired of being housebound! Well, I can’t say we’ve been exactly housebound. I did walk the dog and went to Walmart and bought yarn yesterday so I have something to do. Make sure you stock up on things to do at home before it hits if you get the chance. :flowerforyou: The Midwest, New England and Canadian girls probably think we’re wimps.:tongue::wink:

Amanda: I can’t imagine they’re keeping the gallery open if no one can get around. I hope you find ways to meet your responsibilities there without wrecking your knees or giving yourself pneumonia.:flowerforyou:

Linda Lou: We all go over once in awhile. You’re right to just keep going. Carbs are not an enemy when they’re in balance with other nutrients. Like everything else, there are good carbs and garbage carbs. Weight loss depends on calories in v calories out. :flowerforyou: Breakfast ideas: cottage cheese and fruit, oatmeal and blueberries, hardboiled eggs & fruit or dry toast… Much to my surprise, I’ve come to prefer my toast dry. I would have bet hundreds of dollars that would never happen.:laugh:

JB: Emerald Arborvitae plants and hedges are beautiful, and you are absolutely right that they can suffer from snow and ice damage. The neighbors who didn’t follow your example will be sorry. I know that sore feeling from a little too much exercise and am learning to like it. Put that on my list of surprises that have happened since I started this weight loss adventure. My rhododendrons are decked with icicle stalactites. I’m afraid of breakage. Stop by as often as you can. You are missed.:flowerforyou:

Renny: It sounds like you have jet backwash. I hope you’re better soon.:flowerforyou:

I bought yarn to make a baby blanket yesterday, and started. I bought an extra skein just in case, but now I can’t find the receipt to be able to return it when I’m done. I’ll look again. If I can’t return it, someone will be getting a hat or scarf!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Recovering from our family weekend. DGS and DGD were absolutely fabulous, but the parents were coming down with colds and sore throats and didn't sleep well as a consequence. Next weekend we will put them in separate bedrooms and hope they sleep better. That means my brother and wife wont be able to stay over for Valentines, so one of them will have not to drink again. Bit of a shame, but the food will have to make up for it! Hope we don't catch the colds!
    All the food was gratefully received and the zucchini tots vanished in a flash, on behalf of adults and DGS. :laugh: Now I've got to plan next week very carefully as my stepdaughter is coming on Wednesday, then it's Valentines with the six adults plus DGS and they are staying on for Saturday so more food required! Shopping tomorrow and freezer put to work! Of course I LOVE it and feel that was what I was put on this earth to do.:laugh: DH said he loved playing with DGS and found it very energising and mood elevating. So all round good, but I feel for the poor, ill parents. They are going back to a house which is a building site and a new nanny arriving this evening!

Had masses of posts to read through, but made notes on a few. . .

Susan - what a lot you have been through snd are still going through. I had breast cancer over 6 years ago and so far I am well. It took me a while to get over the chemo. Losing the weight was the last hurdle, which I have accomplished and I did it slowly. I am now around my goal weight. You can do it. :flowerforyou: I remember falling over in the street and barely being able to walk for five minutes.

Sue - I hope the prednizone nights get better. You have a lot to deal with.:indifferent:

Ellenja - I personally never look at the micros on MFP. I am not diabetic, nor do I have high chlorestorol. I am on medication for blood pressure, though right now it is perfect, but I do keep an eye on sodium. Life is too short to be cutting out food groups, unless there is a real medical reason to do so. For me the most important thing is to enjoy every morsel that passes my lips and eat in moderation.

FirforRiding - welcome!

Patty - good for you to avoid the creepy guy!

Gean - welcome! Yes we use this thread for just about everything! Vitamin F for Friendship we call it!

Joyce - stress chocolate sounds good to me. One day at a time.:heart:

Gloria - you have a real load on your shoulders. Can you spare yourself some lovingkindness in the midst of all this?:love:

Renny - what a great photo!

Kayzoola - that rabbit sounds smazingly smart!

Sandil, Linda - welcome to our happy band!

Michele - 30 burpees! Wow! I wish I had your knees!:laugh:

Amanda - hope next week's tube strike is easier on your knees! Here's hoping for dry days!

Gosh, I am tired. I fell asleep on the sofa after they left. Now to plan my menus...........:laugh: :wink: :love: :heart: :drinker:

Bye for now, Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Kayzoola, at the time we had all these animals we had a dog our own. Buddie was a sheltie so it was inbred in him to herd animals. He didn't like the rabbits roaming at all and did his job of herding them into one area in the kitchen and they worked hard to get out of his little herd.

Charlie is back in his irregular heart rythm again this morning. When I got there he was in a normal rythm but went back into the other later. So he stays another night at least and sees an electrophysiologist tomorrow. Who knows what this guy will want to do.
    I'm weary, he is worse than weary.

Joyce, Indiana
  • julsmill49
    julsmill49 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site, about 3 months now and I am cheating a bit as I won't be 50 for another 8 weeks, but figured I'm so darn close. I've been up and down with my weight since kids were born (over 21 years ago) and decided I'm so sick of this lifestyle and was on a path to be fit by 50. I didn't get really serious until after the New Year and I am committed to living healthy for the long term. The food logging is such an importment compontent of this process. I try to exercise at leat 5 times a week about 60 minutes on the treadmill and have been able to keep at it and hoping to work some intense cardio in as well. It seems it is so much easier to keep a healthy diet when you don't have to cook for the entire family everynight. I've informed my husband that he's on his own 3 nights a week, which basically means he orders a pizza or makes a hamburger while I have some grilled eggplant, soup or just a large salad. That alone has helped so much! I've been using my blender quite a bit for morning shakes and green smoothies and it is amazing how filling these can be while getting so much fruit and veggies.

I plan on checking in here everyday and look forward being part of a great group.

Thanks,

Happy Sunday
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    well I have lost 8 lbs in a month...2 probably because the grandkids Son and DIL had flu...guess who was being good to help them out and got sick>

I seem to be in a rut with food....I buy the same thing every time at the store for the week. Are any of you in the same boat? I have the same things for breakfast , yogurts, cottage cheese, sometimes hard boiled eggs, a waffle with PB....Since I had the flu this week, and salad was what returned.....Im off salads this week..... I am opposite of most people....I don't over eat....I under eat, food is just not a priority for me....Yet I know I have to eat more to lose more.....I am walking...and doing some exercise....

Thoughts?

Sherry SO Calif
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hello lovely ladies,

I got a new computer yesterday to replace the dead one. I will try to keep up with you chatty ladies but I make no promises I have to limit my computer time and I get sucked up into games. (sometimes I am so weak) I have been working hard and loving it and walking a lot at work. I hope you all are doing well

Deedee and Katlia thank you for your words. Its nice to be missed.

took the dogs out in the snow we weren't supposed to get this morning it was exhilarating. .

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    Snowy PNW
  • Linda_Lou_62
    Linda_Lou_62 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcomes. I look forward to contributing to the group.

Happy Sunday!
    Linda_Lou_62:heart:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good afternooon,

Happy Sunday! The banquet last night turned into quite a surprise as it turned out I was one of the honorees; I'm very grateful and amazed. Thankfully, I did not have to say more than a few words!! I had saved tons of cals (about 800) so I'm certain I didn't go over---no drinks, just water and decaf coffee, my usual when out........not sure why, but I drink only tea at home. This am was our gym friends breakfast at Golden Corral, so I'm cutting down for the rest of the day even though I didn't go overboard.

To the person looking for breakfast ideas.........sometimes I have made a big pot of homemade soup and it ends up being breakfast for me a couple times until it's gone.......nothing wrong with that.

Amanda......... My DD took 7 years of Latin, the last being her freshman year of college, all thanks to Harry Potter.....I had 2 years of it and loved every minute.

Joyce.......Hope Charlie stabilizes soon.

Dee Dee...........Yep, we'll be getting snow, then ice according to what I just saw on the weather; oh, no not again........

Scanned the posts but didn't make notes today. Welcome newbies!

yanniejannie
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Very cold here today but no snow. I feel for those of you in the PNW who are not used to that although according to my DGD in Snohomish WA it is a treat.:laugh: Got my valentine cards sent, sang at church and planning to go to the Wellness Center this afternoon. :happy:

Question: I know some of you have digital scales. We are needing a new one and I was wondering if any of you have a particular one you would recommend. I don't need anything terribly complicated just more accurate.

Sandy - I am rooting for you breaking the 300 barrier this week.:bigsmile: WooHoo!!!! Hope you have a nice reward planned like a massage or mani or pedi.

Joyce - Hope things settle down with your hubby soon. Please take care of yourself too.

Welcome to all the newbies. Keep coming back.

Healing angels to those who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD