How does everyone manage to eat enough protein?

Options

Replies

• justinproulx1
    Options
    with my mouth
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Chicken, Lean Beef, Fish, Whey and Casein protein powder, Cottage Cheese, Greek Yogurt, Eggs, Beans.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I suggest nuts, sausage and protein shakes. Very good sources for protein. Try having them concurrently for maximum protein intake.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    2,261 calories? I am guessing you do a lot of exercise.

You seem to suggest that is a lot.

It isn't.
  • kaylagaston13
    Options
    Oikos greek yogurt. Can't get enough of that stuff it tastes so good and only 100 cal per cup, which is pretty good considering how filling it is. Other than that, the only other protein I get during the day is dinner, and I usually have chicken as my meat choice. Most days, even without trying I tend to go over my daily goal of protein. So, I'd definitely add in the yogurt. It's so worth it.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I always fall short unless I have a protein shake. I get whey isolate with 30g protein per scoop in it and make it with milk (another 8g) and fruit for breakfast. Including 4-6 oz of meat or a cup of beans in lunch and dinner and having nuts for a snack gets me to where I need to be pretty easily. And cheese helps. And if I'm still a few grams short at the end of the day, gelato :wink:
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Every breakfast I have a protein shake

Morning snack Peanut butter, or chicken

Lunch has yogurt (in addition to entree)

Afternoon snack usually is light on Protein (like 4-10g)

Dinner another protein like a cheese stick, yogurt, chicken along with the entree.

Meals usually at least 20g of protein and snacks 10-15g.
  • karkaskompetisie
    Options
    bump
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    provides for various diets; vegan, non-vegan, etc. Enjoy!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

hope this helps.
  • dgeorgiadis
    dgeorgiadis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Eggs, egg whites, quinoa, lean meat,. I usually end up going over on my protein.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    try egg whites... triple the protein!! =) Cottage cheese, Quest bars and of course lean meats.

ETA: Oikos 2% vanilla greek yogurt is my evening dessert with a Quest bar! =)
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have been add whey protein powder and Quest Protein Bars.

I like the plain-Jane Walmart chocolate whey protein powder best.

Quest Bars you can buy individually at GNC and in bulk on Amazon.com
  • typicallystrange
    Options
    i eat things like tofu and tempeh and vegetarian sausages, which have around 20g of protein per 100g or per serving (like two sausages for example) (sometimes a little bit less sometimes a little bit more depending on the product/brand)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    2,261 calories? I am guessing you do a lot of exercise.

meh- not really. I eat upwards of 3000.

actually I LOLed so hard at the body building professional cheerleader- red/black team- don't remember who- anyway- they wrote an article saying she was consuming 900 calorie shakes- eating 3000 calories a day. at 3000 calories a day there is no way I could fit in a 900 calorie shake without giving up food. 3000 is just NOT that much. It's a lot long term if you do it months on end 3000+ can be tedious- but for day to day average eating- you have some ups and some downs- it's not that hard to hit 3000 a day.

That being said.

Eggs- bacon- I eat upwards of 10 a day- i've been slacking so mostly 6 at this point.
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Steak
    Protein + milk for a shake. delicious.
    Cheese
    Greek Yogurt + Protein
    all full of win.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    chicken, greek yogurt, protein shakes, meat in general and I'm loving shrimp as a quick low cal high protein snack. Good luck!
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, so it can be pretty difficult for me. I just recently started adding a vegetable protein powder to my diet that adds 22 grams of protein (and only 120 calories). HEB in Texas has a lactose free milk called "mootopia" and it's got 12 grams of protein! So I mix my protein powder with some mootopia and I've got 34 grams of protein right there! I don't know if mootopia exists everywhere, but it should because it's delicious.
    Also lentils, tofu, beans, quinoa are all ways I get my protein. But those alone never allow me to reach the amount of protein I need without going way over my calories and carbs.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have a protein powder shake with every workout and I recently grilled up a ton of chicken breast and froze it so that I can have high-protein snacks and meals in my dorm. I always keep protein bars around for snacks. I want to go pick up some eggs (need eggs! maybe a carton of egg whites just for MORE protein) and a wheat pancake mix that I can mix with protein powder and make delicious protein pancakes.

Try the recipes section for more help! I know in the past I've made some great protein brownies and stuff too.
  • ash_37
    ash_37 Posts: 35
    Options
    Wow you have managed to lose 66ibs. Congrats!!!! I am working out to turbo gire and have been a c vised high protein diet so I went shopping n bought peanut butter, beans for salad n curry and also I heard lo we fat cottage cheese is very good in protein.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    So basically if I am unable to meet my protein goals, add more chicken and greek yogurt to my diet- is what Im getting from the responses... And whey protein powder? Good tips! But I hate greek yogurt, so Ill be upping the protein in bars and whey... LOL
    Try mixing the whey with the Greek yogurt, much nicer :)
    But yeah I eat a lot of lean meat, eggs, whey, and dairy such as cottage cheese
  • Will32283
    Will32283 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Tuna
    Salmon
    Turkey
    Tilapia
    Chicken breast
    Shrimp