How does everyone manage to eat enough protein?

Options

Replies

• archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Look at my diary.
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, some great ideas - I'll get myself some Greek yogurt as that seems a good place to start! I think I need to look at my food intake meal for meal as dinner is never an issue but breakfast and lunch are where I fall down.

Some great snacks as well - I will sneak a look at those with open diaries for more ideas as well.
    2,261 calories? I am guessing you do a lot of exercise.
    I have a 2,000 allowance each day today I was on cardio so I thought I should eat back some of my calories there as I only want to lose a very small amount of weight and want to lose it very slowly so my body doesn't give up the muscle I have built.
  • amrluvarr
    amrluvarr Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    rethink the amount of protein you think you "need" and how much your body can actually use :)
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Whey protein, Muscle Egg, and Quest bars.

When my macros got reduced, I FREAKED OUT because I WANT to eat a butt ton of protein. I miss more macros. :( (Cutting.)
  • Barbaraann70
    Barbaraann70 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That is hard for me too! I like Siggi's Icelandic style yogurt which has 14 grams. I also have been mixing canned tuna with a tablespoon of feta cheese for a snack but that is getting a little old.
  • FatGirlSad
    Options
    Protein-Rich Fruits
    Fruit is often not thought of as a source of protein, but some varieties are surprisingly good sources. For example, a cup of dried apricots contains 5 g of protein, whereas the equal measure of dried prunes contains 4.5 g. One cup of cherries contain 3 g, a banana has 2.5 g, a papaya, 2.3 g and a kiwi has 2.1 g. Avocado is often misclassified as a vegetable, but it is a very protein-rich fruit containing about 4.5 g of protein per cup. Coconut is also a fruit and the average sized fruit contains about 2 g. Other fruits considered decent sources of protein include dates, watermelon, peaches and tomatoes.

Protein-Rich Vegetables
    The protein content of vegetables often pales in comparison to that of beef, fish or eggs, but many vegetables contain some protein and a few are considered very good sources. For example, a cup of packed spinach contains 5 g of protein, whereas the same size serving of asparagus contains 4.2 g, broccoli has 4 g, cauliflower has 3.8 g, a potato with skin has 3.8 g and a cup of celery has 1.5 g. Other decent sources of vegetable protein include kale, celery and carrots. An advantage of plant protein over animal protein is that it is low in fat content and high in dietary fiber, which can reduce the risks of heart attacks and atherosclerosis.

Legumes
    Legumes can be considered plants, vegetable matter and even dried fruits of specific plants. They are often generically called peas, nuts and beans. In general, legumes are the best source of non-animal based protein. Legumes contain relatively low amounts of the essential amino acid methionine, but are rich in lysine. So some vegetarians compensate by mixing legumes with grains, which are high in methionine and low in lysine. A good example of this is native Indians eating beans with corn tortillas, or the Japanese eating tofu with rice. Protein-rich legumes include soybeans, which contain 29 g of protein per cup, while lentils contain 18 g, black beans 15 g, chickpeas 12 g and green peas 9 g. Other good sources of protein include quinoa, alfalfa, clover, carob, Brazil nuts, almonds and peanuts.

per http://www.livestrong.com/article/394772-protein-rich-fruits-vegetables/
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Have you noticed that, as you add exercise to the MFP diary, your Carbs, Fats and Proteins increase in relation to the increase in exercise calories.

So, your daily protein target may actually be above your protein needs for the lean body mass you actually are.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Premier Protein chocolate shake for breakfast along with my eggs. 30 grams/protein from shake, 14 from two eggs. The rest sort of takes care of itself. Meat dish for lunch and dinner, maybe a turkey and cheese snack.
  • strakerc
    Options
    I mix my almond milk with protein powder to pour over cereal for breakfast. Every Monday, I make lunch for the week in a crock pot which has to have 10g of protein for every 100 calories or better (usually various forms of chicken with veggies in an awesome sauce over rice). For dinner, I do all kinds of things...often meat with Explore Asian noodles. If you haven't heard of explore Asian noodles, check out one type of their high-protein noodles here:

http://www.amazon.com/Exas-Fettuccine-Mung-Bean-7-05-Ounce/dp/B004UB9P38/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392152592&sr=8-2&keywords=mung+bean

For snacks, try edamame beans, beef jerky, or OS Trim sticks:

http://www.amazon.com/Ostrim-Beef-Ostrich-Snack-Barbeque/dp/B000RZDLD6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1392152671&sr=8-4&keywords=os+trim

Honestly, it's easy to do (and freaking delicious) once you find the right things to buy...I easily get 150g of protein under 2000 calories every day now.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Protein bar almost every day, whey protein powder, and I LIVE off of protein cereal. Have it for dinner almost every day lol I have an addiction haha But ya I guess I would say the easiest to fill in the gaps would be the protein powder. I just mix mine with water and I'm good to go!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I try to get minimum 135 g of protein every day and find that I really have to focus my meal planning on it to get there. If every meal isn't built around protein, then you have to sneak it in and/or have "super protein" meals to make up for lower protein meals. I eat a lot of chicken breast and I get a solid amount of low-fat dairy every day and those probably make up about 3/4 of my goal. The rest I typically fill out with non-animal proteins, particularly beans, plus some wheat.

+I put black beans in my scrambled eggs and omelettes
    +I often have pinto beans or lentils with a piece of chicken for lunch.
    +Garbanzo beans make terrific snacks
    +Edamame also make good snacks. Or, combine with chicken or fish or tofu and soy sauce and ginger for a tasty foil-baked dinner.
    +My end-of-day treat (which I save calories for all day!) most days is a whole wheat english muffin or piece of toast with peanut butter. Choose your bread wisely, and you can get >10 g of protein right there for about 200 calories. It's not as efficient as eating chicken breast, but it's delicious and filling and has healthy fats etc.
    +12 oz glass of nonfat milk every day; 12g of protein
    +Breakfast cereal + greek yogurt instead of milk for a bigger protein hit.
    +I keep individually wrapped cheeses (low fat string cheese, babybels) around for another quick hit. I don't eat those every day but I would if I weren't spending my calories on peanut butter.
  • germslyde
    Options
    Supplementation is a great way of adding some much needed protein to your diet. I would suggest a good quality spirulina protein or casein protein supplement. If possible, try to find a protein powder that has a mix of whey and casein. The whey is absorbed very quickly, which is great post exercise and the casein protein breaks down far more slowly, which will help provide protein to your body over an extended period of time.
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It's .8g per lb of LBM, not bodyweight. You probably don't need much more than 90-100 grams of protein.
    Really? So no wonder it is so hard! 120 grams is just so much - I think I could easily manage 100 grams - so much easier, thank you!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    120g is "so much," but 100g is easy? ;)
  • SouthernMommy11
    Options
    I like fish and peanut butter. Protein shakes help too
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Beans with edamame, corn, hominy and rice, soymilk, fish
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Check out the protein chef on youtube. Lots of good ides.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a fitness competition soon, so I have to eat like 170 g of protein a day. Cottage cheese, protein shakes, protein bars, chicken, tuna, shrimp, lentils, anything I can get. Somehow I get there every day, even though it's a struggle. Feel free to check my diary for ideas.
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I try to get minimum 135 g of protein every day and find that I really have to focus my meal planning on it to get there. If every meal isn't built around protein, then you have to sneak it in and/or have "super protein" meals to make up for lower protein meals. I eat a lot of chicken breast and I get a solid amount of low-fat dairy every day and those probably make up about 3/4 of my goal. The rest I typically fill out with non-animal proteins, particularly beans, plus some wheat.

+I put black beans in my scrambled eggs and omelettes
    +I often have pinto beans or lentils with a piece of chicken for lunch.
    +Garbanzo beans make terrific snacks
    +Edamame also make good snacks. Or, combine with chicken or fish or tofu and soy sauce and ginger for a tasty foil-baked dinner.
    +My end-of-day treat (which I save calories for all day!) most days is a whole wheat english muffin or piece of toast with peanut butter. Choose your bread wisely, and you can get >10 g of protein right there for about 200 calories. It's not as efficient as eating chicken breast, but it's delicious and filling and has healthy fats etc.
    +12 oz glass of nonfat milk every day; 12g of protein
    +Breakfast cereal + greek yogurt instead of milk for a bigger protein hit.
    +I keep individually wrapped cheeses (low fat string cheese, babybels) around for another quick hit. I don't eat those every day but I would if I weren't spending my calories on peanut butter.

Thanks for sharing your great ideas!!