"Unclean" IIFYM Success Stories and Pics please?

Options

Replies

• qariqiz
    qariqiz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    "Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds:

His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.

"That's where the head scratching comes," Haub said. "What does that mean? Does that mean I'm healthier? Or does it mean how we define health from a biology standpoint, that we're missing something?" "

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

My apologies, I don't know what IIFYM is, but this scientist experimented on himself using the un"clean"-est diet EVER and found that eating almost pure junk food in a calorie deficit caused him to lose weight.

Obviously, this is unhealthy (imo stupidly so), but the point remains. Calories matter for weight... but nutrients are what matter for being healthy.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! Very much. :flowerforyou:
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    This thread is epic. I'm not a success yet so I'm not going to post pictures, but I'm a success in training, and I follow IIFYM.

Looking good everyone.

Rigger

based on your ticker I have to disagree...you have done an amazing job...

I am not sure if anyone is ever "done" because after the weight loss come maintenance or bulk/cut cycles...I think as long as you are on the path and succeeding on that path you are a sucess.

If you're done, it means you're dead.

Or lame. Both are roughly equivalent.

Good point brother, and thanks Stef, I appreciate the kind words.

I'm actually looking forward to/dreading my first bulk here in a few months.

Rigger
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    "Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds:

His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.

"That's where the head scratching comes," Haub said. "What does that mean? Does that mean I'm healthier? Or does it mean how we define health from a biology standpoint, that we're missing something?" "

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

My apologies, I don't know what IIFYM is, but this scientist experimented on himself using the un"clean"-est diet EVER and found that eating almost pure junk food in a calorie deficit caused him to lose weight.

Obviously, this is unhealthy (imo stupidly so), but the point remains. Calories matter for weight... but nutrients are what matter for being healthy.

In what way is it obviously unhealthy? Apparently all of his risk factors improved significantly.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?
  • rebeccaaa_elizabeth
    Options
    Everyone looks absolutely AMAZING! :love:

I also follow IIFYM, and am having success.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    This thread is epic. I'm not a success yet so I'm not going to post pictures, but I'm a success in training, and I follow IIFYM.

Looking good everyone.

Rigger

I am not sure if anyone is ever "done" because after the weight loss come maintenance or bulk/cut cycles...I think as long as you are on the path and succeeding on that path you are a sucess.

Rigger

Oh hey, are you me? I'm on a whole "well maybe I should just keep losing weight(past my goal)?" Trip right now.
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I track macros and can fit whatever I want... however I choose to eat healthy foods most of the times and avoid processed foods and eat a lot of veggies and some fruit. I do have the casual pizza, hamburger, cereal, eat... but those are not my everyday choices. I've lost over 30lbs now.
  • Binouchette
    Binouchette Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Looking good everyone.

Rigger

Rigger

Oh hey, are you me? I'm on a whole "well maybe I should just keep losing weight(past my goal)?" Trip right now.

As a former lifelong fat kid, eating at a calorie surplus was incredibly difficult for me mentally.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Looking good everyone.

Rigger

Rigger

As a former lifelong fat kid, eating at a calorie surplus was incredibly difficult for me mentally.

Struggled with the first one also. So ready for the first bulk after losing weight. Gained 5 pounds almost instantly (probably all water) then went on this bulk/not bulk phase for months before I decided I should cut back down again. 1.5 years later it is still a struggle to see any fluffiness. Its getting better. (Not really.)
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss31/topazora/before-after_zps53b6df0c.jpg
    220lbs to 180lb
    I still got quite a ways to go. But it was all caloric deficit and very small to no dinners. I actually do lose a lot of weight when i skip dinner over long periods of time. But I did this, eating both healthy and unhealthy foods. Its just hard to give up my poptarts and chocolate.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Looking good everyone.

Rigger

Rigger

Pretty close, I still have 12 pounds before I hit my current goal, but I know where you're coming from, I'm starting to get apprehensive about it, not sure if my current goal will be the right place to switch gears so to speak.

Rigger
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Looking good everyone.

Rigger

Rigger

Struggled with the first one also. So ready for the first bulk after losing weight. Gained 5 pounds almost instantly (probably all water) then went on this bulk/not bulk phase for months before I decided I should cut back down again. 1.5 years later it is still a struggle to see any fluffiness. Its getting better. (Not really.)

I don't think it ever gets all that much easier.

Bulking is challenging mentally. It takes a lot of fortitude to stay the course in the face of what at first blush appears to be disaster.

One of the reasons I like shorter bulking cycles, keeps me leaner always.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    21oxb9e.jpg

Four years of solid progress.

Still can't smile at a camera...

:wink:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I am sure this is pretty obvious to most but smaller people who are looking to lose weight are going to have a lot less flexibility with their discretionary calories based on the lower cal/macro targets.

And conversely, larger guys aiming to add weight are going to have much more discretion.

I was amazed when a 110kg (242lbs) powerlifter mate of mate was put on a diet by a well know bodybuilder (in Australia). Was aiming to increase weight yet was somehow unable to eat pizza. Apparently, can only gain weight with sweet potatoes and rice :laugh:
  • callmestephanie
    callmestephanie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    IIFYM = If It Fits Your Macros. Basically set up a calorie goal and proper macro goals (X grams of protein a day, X grams of fat a day, X grams of carbs a day) and eat basically whatever you want to meet those macros. It's also referred to as flexible dieting. It's an alternative to "Clean Eating" which cuts out tons of foods due to the claim that they are "unclean". IIFYM helps by setting up a plan that's easy to follow and doesn't cut out foods that taste good and that you enjoy which is why people are less likely to give up on their weight loss or go on binges on IIFYM as opposed to "Eating Clean"

Ohhhh ok. Well that's what I've been doing off and on since 2009 to have lost the 42lbs. :) I keep losing motivation or life events happen (another pregnancy/baby) but I'm hoping I can get back to it and stay on it to reach my goal.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    I follow IIFYM. I eat mostly home cooked meals, but I eat just about anything, including an daily allotment of chocolate chip cookies, and a glass of wine, and the occasional late night shwarma.

Me at approx 175 lbs

db69d00e-0a73-41ca-bda2-748634bf0364_zps9913b42c.jpg

And me after 18 months of lifting and following IIFYM, at 158 lbs.

f8b4f05f-ef81-491a-b6f5-3f03e503ddf6_zpsa3d2ab7b.jpg
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I follow IIFYM. I eat mostly home cooked meals, but I eat just about anything, including an daily allotment of chocolate chip cookies, and a glass of wine, and the occasional late night shwarma.

Me at approx 175 lbs

db69d00e-0a73-41ca-bda2-748634bf0364_zps9913b42c.jpg

And me after 18 months of lifting and following IIFYM, at 158 lbs.

f8b4f05f-ef81-491a-b6f5-3f03e503ddf6_zpsa3d2ab7b.jpg

Hawt!!
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Look at all these sexy mo fos

"Eat WHATEVER THE F*** you wanna eat" (Hodge Twins)
  • graycaro
    graycaro Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread, guys. Bumping for inspiration later!