Lamest/funniest excuses for calling in sick

Options

Replies

• notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Last year we had some big rains and they predicted a higher than normal king tide. The premier even warned people who had gotten flooded in two years before to stay at home off the roads that night. So I called in work to let them know. I think about 5 backyards ended up with water and there was very little on the roads. Though when it last flooded my husband had to leave work early and had most of the week off due to water.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This was actually true, I didn't call in sick but the brake hose in my car went out on the way to work, I took it to the shop ASAP and it was because a mouse chewed on it. It was a little funny calling into work about it and blaming a mouse.

I had a co-worker call in with an "upset stomach" the day after England had a very important football (soccer) match. He just made it worse by saying "It's not because of any drinking or the match, honest!"
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    One ex co-worker multiple excuses

The dog ate an entire roll of toilet paper.
    The dog ate an entire box of chocolate cupcakes.
    The horse ate an entire bag of sweet feed.
    I broke up a fight between two roosters and have to go to the doctor.
    I was trimming the shrubs and fell off the roof.
  • BlueAngelChar
    BlueAngelChar Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    True Story - my brother got caught chopping up our snowman Jamaican Bob (yes we named him) with a samurai sword and my mum's neighbour called the police, he got arrested and held overnight so missed work the next day!

I had to phone his work and tell them...
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I had an employee call in sick bc the tip of her Q-tip got stuck in her ear.. To this day I'm still not sure what to think of it.. Still got a laugh out of it so I let it slide.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I had an employee call in sick bc the tip of her Q-tip got stuck in her ear.. To this day I'm still not sure what to think of it.. Still got a laugh out of it so I let it slide.
    It can happen! I got chalk stuck up my nose as a child.
  • bperkins88
    bperkins88 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken a sick day in 4 years unfortunately.. lol

And I've been pretty sick some of those days :sick:
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    My coworker called in on Thanksgiving because she dropped the turkey on her foot. She was fired, but her holiday call in excuses were the best.
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options

I'm sure it can, and it probably did, It was funny getting a call at 6am in a panic bc she was holding the Q-tip stick and couldnt find the end of it in her ear or on the ground, she also mentionned the next day that the Dr. told her it happens quite often. So beware...
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I manage a kitchen and have woken up to the most ridiculous texts from my staff .

I woke up around 6am and I read one from the morning guy who couldn't make it in that day.

I thought he said he had an accident just outside of town, but I was a little groggy and misread it ...

Turns out the 'accident' was that he **** himself.

Twice.
  • whatshouldieat
    whatshouldieat Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have an Eye problem!! I just could not see myself coming to work today....
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options

I'm sure it can, and it probably did, It was funny getting a call at 6am in a panic bc she was holding the Q-tip stick and couldnt find the end of it in her ear or on the ground, she also mentionned the next day that the Dr. told her it happens quite often. So beware...
    This is exactly that whenever I use a qtip, I tighten the end where the cotton is before using it. I don't trust them XD
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

This is exactly that whenever I use a qtip, I tighten the end where the cotton is before using it. I don't trust them XD
    How do you tighten the end of a q-tip?
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    "My car is dead so I have to go car shopping"

I have done this
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    One guy called in and said a squirrel had chewed the power lines so his alarm didn't go off... it could happen, I guess.

A lady that used to work here could've written the book on excuses A couple examples:
    - claims she had a "mini-stroke", so she took a week off, but was perfectly recovered the next Monday.
    - had food poisoning numerous times - strangely always after long weekends, or events like the Superbowl
    - got into an accident where her friend was driving & swerved to the side, but somehow she hit her forehead on the windshield, claimed she had head trauma, but there was no bruising or anything
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    my close friend said he fell asleep on the wrong train and it was express train to Florida from NYC.
  • BootCampC
    Options
    True! I called into work because my wife was cleaning the pasta colander and got angel hair stuck under her nail bed and went to the hospital. didn't I fusilli!
  • BootCampC
    Options
    not to long after that I had to leave work early one day I got a call from my kids that my wife was stuck in the ceiling , she was in the attic putting the Christmas stuff away and stepped between the beams and was hanging halfway through the ceiling in my sons room
  • BootCampC
    Options
    I an see the cotton falling off those cheap ones
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I was tempted to phone in sick because I had a brand new phone at home that I wanted to play with... Thought against it though :)