Any Empaths out there? Hello? This thing on?

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Is it always like this here? Because, you do understand that some of us are brand new here and haven't a clue of what's gone badly for you previously.

More or less.

OK. Thanks. Then I think I've come to the wrong place :-)

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Don't forget your towel.
  • Boringdoug
    Boringdoug Posts: 72 Member
    Are you full Betazoid. or just half?
  • Hi Jessie, Yes i do understand you. Hope your journey is going well. I did look at other posts on here and shook my head. I'm here for support and for better clarity for the future. What is your journey? regards Bonnie
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Empathy is a human trait that probably goes back possibly more than 2 million years. Even bonobos have it to some extent (more than common chimps but less than humans). Non-verbal communication of emotion (among other things) pre-dates spoken language.

some humans are better at this than others............ re the bit in that article about detecting "true" feelings underneath the facade, that's been shown to be an ability to read other people's micro-expressions (yes like on "Lie to Me" - that series is based on this particular branch of science). It's nothing supernatural, or even anything that unusual. And the fact that some are better at this than others, is because there's variation in any population. But compared to most animals, humans are geniuses at empathy, it's a trait we evolved, presumably because co-operation and helping sick and injured people in the group increased the group's chance of survival, and individuals who were more empathetic were more likely to do those things, and able to work together more effectively due to understanding each other at a deeper level. Anyway, my take is that the OP is better than average at reading micro-expressions and other non-verbal cues in other people, or maybe some neurological variation that leads to a great degree of empathy than average. If they can detect this on brain scans between bonobos and common chimps then it's likely something that shows some degree of variation within species as well.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    To be fair to the OP...there was a similar thread not too long ago and it didn't end well.

lebowski-opinion.jpg

Hey! I not a man :angry:

Well, then I think we can rule Johnny out of the empath club.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Are you full Betazoid. or just half?

lolololl!!! :drinker:
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    I could tell that the hot guy at the gym last night wanted a piece of this.

Is this how it works?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,363 Member
    Is it always like this here? Because, you do understand that some of us are brand new here and haven't a clue of what's gone badly for you previously.

This is only my second topic ive made on here.. so i really dont know who its gone badly for before me.. honestly i couldnt care less... I see what I need to see and the rest is static haha.. Ive gotten a few messages from empaths from this post (i guess didnt want to come forward since they saw the welcome i got) And that was my aim! So... :-)

hm . surprised they didn't send you a message before the thread.

or is that psychic?
  • Empathy is a human trait that probably goes back possibly more than 2 million years. Even bonobos have it to some extent (more than common chimps but less than humans). Non-verbal communication of emotion (among other things) pre-dates spoken language.

some humans are better at this than others............ re the bit in that article about detecting "true" feelings underneath the facade, that's been shown to be an ability to read other people's micro-expressions (yes like on "Lie to Me" - that series is based on this particular branch of science). It's nothing supernatural, or even anything that unusual. And the fact that some are better at this than others, is because there's variation in any population. But compared to most animals, humans are geniuses at empathy, it's a trait we evolved, presumably because co-operation and helping sick and injured people in the group increased the group's chance of survival, and individuals who were more empathetic were more likely to do those things, and able to work together more effectively due to understanding each other at a deeper level. Anyway, my take is that the OP is better than average at reading micro-expressions and other non-verbal cues in other people, or maybe some neurological variation that leads to a great degree of empathy than average. If they can detect this on brain scans between bonobos and common chimps then it's likely something that shows some degree of variation within species as well.

This was a wonderful read! And so true! I saw something in regards to this in a video 'Empathy in pictures' Not sure about "better" I dont feel im better than anyone or any animal in general on this planet.. As we all have our places.. But Id say I pay attention, Im aware of others.. That actually bothers people.. When you see past the facade they put out there.. (after all when youre happy theres no reason to steal anothers happiness ) It makes them feel like they have no privacy, that they are exposed to be judged.. When the truth is everyone will judge you, its how you judge your self that matters.. Just my opinion tho...
  • i'm getting the feeling that.....

oh wait....wait....nope...lost it....

i lost that loving feelin.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    i'm getting the feeling that.....

Gawwwd...Top Gun was just on too
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

Is this how it works?

Seems legit to me
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    i'm getting the feeling that.....

Now it's gone, gone, gone ... Whoa-oh
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member

you got here fast! do you have a google alert set for empath topics or could you just feel a disturbance in the force?

*snicker*
  • I could tell that the hot guy at the gym last night wanted a piece of this.

Is this how it works?

Actually yes, that could be how it works.. unless you just automatically assume every hot guy wants you, then no.. thats not Empathy, its Ego.. <3
  • Hauntinglyfit

Is this how it works?

Actually yes, that could be how it works.. unless you just automatically assume every hot guy wants you, then no.. thats not Empathy, its Ego.. <3

I could also tell that his girlfriend didn't want him to get a piece of this.
    So i'm going with empathy. Do i get to wear a cape?
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    lol wut
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member

Is this how it works?

Actually yes, that could be how it works.. unless you just automatically assume every hot guy wants you, then no.. thats not Empathy, its fact.. <3

FIFY

:flowerforyou:

The hotness that is haunting cannot be denied.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member

This is only my second topic ive made on here.. so i really dont know who its gone badly for before me.. honestly i couldnt care less... I see what I need to see and the rest is static haha.. Ive gotten a few messages from empaths from this post (i guess didnt want to come forward since they saw the welcome i got) And that was my aim! So... :-)

Spoken like a true empath.
  • packratpatty
    packratpatty Posts: 46 Member
    Hi Otterluv. After reading the original post, which seemed innocent enough, I read the comments and realized why I stopped coming to the forums a year ago. There are a bunch of people on here who take great pleasure in making fun of people. It turns into a joke every time. Don't bother with the forums. They never end well.
  • I could tell that the hot guy at the gym last night wanted a piece of this.

Is this how it works?

I could also tell that his girlfriend didn't want him to get a piece of this.
    So i'm going with empathy. Do i get to wear a cape?

UUh YES! Duh, if not for the cape it wouldnt be worth it at all.. Seriously.
  • Hi Jessie, Yes i do understand you. Hope your journey is going well. I did look at other posts on here and shook my head. I'm here for support and for better clarity for the future. What is your journey? regards Bonnie

Eh just want to be healthy and happy! Never realized how many calories I ate... So tackled that, as well as rode my bike every where, lost 31 pounds in 3 months!!! Now Im aiming for the rest! What about you? :-))
  • Hey!
    I wasnt sure were to put this, so im putting it here..
    I am empath, and Id like to connect with others, positive vibes, but Im also willing to be there for support.. Its hard for an empath not to support..sooooo :-) Yup, thats about it!

Oh im not psychic but I can see this coming.. "Whats an Empath?"

http://healing.about.com/cs/empathic/a/uc_empathtraits.htm <<<< GO RUN! SKIP! FORWARD MARCH! Gain knowledge for gods sake! Thats the best part about life!!

I like you already!! So can you sense things from a message board? :wink:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    ForestFireLikeWhereThisThreadIsGoin.jpg
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Hi Otterluv. After reading the original post, which seemed innocent enough, I read the comments and realized why I stopped coming to the forums a year ago. There are a bunch of people on here who take great pleasure in making fun of people. It turns into a joke every time. Don't bother with the forums. They never end well.

You take from it what you want. There is good info on here, and bad, and everything in between.
  • Hi Otterluv. After reading the original post, which seemed innocent enough, I read the comments and realized why I stopped coming to the forums a year ago. There are a bunch of people on here who take great pleasure in making fun of people. It turns into a joke every time. Don't bother with the forums. They never end well.

Well with that thinking Rosa Parks woulda parked her tush in the back! I cant let others take away from my experiences.. Im actually meeting a few great people in private messages.. and THAT was my goal! :-)) Trust me, Im 27, the only person in my family thats not white, and empath.. i can handle teasing and a little bullying! <3
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Empathy is a human trait that probably goes back possibly more than 2 million years. Even bonobos have it to some extent (more than common chimps but less than humans). Non-verbal communication of emotion (among other things) pre-dates spoken language.

This was a wonderful read! And so true! I saw something in regards to this in a video 'Empathy in pictures' Not sure about "better" I dont feel im better than anyone or any animal in general on this planet.. As we all have our places.. But Id say I pay attention, Im aware of others.. That actually bothers people.. When you see past the facade they put out there.. (after all when youre happy theres no reason to steal anothers happiness ) It makes them feel like they have no privacy, that they are exposed to be judged.. When the truth is everyone will judge you, its how you judge your self that matters.. Just my opinion tho...

It's interesting, because some theories say that humans are not as good at detecting others' emotions as we should be, and that the ability to hide emotions may have evolved later on, after we evolved a high level of empathy, as our societies got more complex and humans interacted with a lot more people, traded more, etc. It's not totally clear how all of this evolved... there's a big evolutionary advantage to being empathetic, but at the same time there are advantages in a lot of situations in being able to hide your true emotions. The latter probably evolved later as the micro-expressions are there, but the facial expression representing the true emotion is being suppressed (as opposed to being absent, so the brain wiring to show true emotion on the face is there, with the ability to suppress it kind of superimposed upon it)

anyway, there's quite a bit of interesting science behind this, even if scientists don't know the full picture of when/how it all evolved.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Hey!
    I wasnt sure were to put this, so im putting it here..
    I am empath, and Id like to connect with others, positive vibes, but Im also willing to be there for support.. Its hard for an empath not to support..sooooo :-) Yup, thats about it!

Oh im not psychic but I can see this coming.. "Whats an Empath?"

http://healing.about.com/cs/empathic/a/uc_empathtraits.htm <<<< GO RUN! SKIP! FORWARD MARCH! Gain knowledge for gods sake! Thats the best part about life!!
    Here you go. Please let us know how you plan to spend your million dollars.:happy:
    http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    if you're talking about highly sensitive people who feel a lot of feelings, one of them being empathy, then hi.

if you're talking about some psychic weird stuff then i cant say im an 'empath'

this always reminds me of Peter from Heroes, absorbing other peoples powers.

anyway i learned the hard way to be careful what you post on these boards. i made a thread about being unable to cook and everybody went ballistic. i can just imagine what a spectacle this will be!
  • Hauntinglyfit

Is this how it works?

Actually yes, that could be how it works.. unless you just automatically assume every hot guy wants you, then no.. thats not Empathy, its fact.. <3

FIFY

:flowerforyou:

The hotness that is haunting cannot be denied.

reverse-1267379317_cute_baby_otter.gif