Help with a healthy pizza?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Greytfish
    Options
    Actually, no. You can't judge what you haven't tried. Period. You can only theorize, which is not at all the same thing at all.

And, you are you to judge the OP for wanting to substitute ingredients for any reason? When you cook you make adjustments and substitutions all the time. While some people may want to use a cauliflower crust because the calories are lower, other people do it simply to get their vegetables in a different format because they prefer it over other textures, and some do it because they cannot have gluten.

Not that it's all that impressive, but yes, I've had squid ink risotto (not to be confused with ink jet risotto, which is probably lesser in print quality than laser risotto) and had squid prepared dozens of ways. Lots of chefs in my circle and I like to eat.

I like all kinds of food, but I don't criticize food I have not actually tried - and I've tried a lot and will try just about anything. If I wouldn't try it, I certainly wouldn't feel I could judge it.

Oh, and wheat is a vegetable.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Don't eat pizza. Done.
    For the rest of your life.

Some goals are not worth accomplishing.
    True dat.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Actually, no. You can't judge what you haven't tried. Period. You can only theorize, which is not at all the same thing at all.

And, you are you to judge the OP for wanting to substitute ingredients for any reason? When you cook you make adjustments and substitutions all the time. While some people may want to use a cauliflower crust because the calories are lower, other people do it simply to get their vegetables in a different format because they prefer it over other textures, and some do it because they cannot have gluten.

Not that it's all that impressive, but yes, I've had squid ink risotto (not to be confused with ink jet risotto, which is probably lesser in print quality than laser risotto) and had squid prepared dozens of ways. Lots of chefs in my circle and I like to eat.

I like all kinds of food, but I don't criticize food I have not actually tried - and I've tried a lot and will try just about anything. If I wouldn't try it, I certainly wouldn't feel I could judge it.

Oh, and wheat is a vegetable.

Anyone ever seen "Dead Like Me"? It's a sort of dark comedy, I guess. Anyway, there's this scene where this "Der Waffle Haus" customer wants to order a patty melt. Basically, he wants the cheese melted on the bread instead of the patty, and he wants kraut on it. The cook (Rube) resists. Goes like this.

Rube: Hey. How are you doing? You order a patty melt?
    Customer: Yeah. Is there a problem?
    Rue: You don't know what a patty melt is. A patty melt not only implies what it is but also how it's prepared. The cheese is melted on the patty.
    Customer: I like the cheese on the bread.
    Rube: That would be a bread melt, more commonly known as a grilled cheese. How about I make you a nice grilled cheese?
    Customer (petulant at this point): I want a patty melt with kraut and cheese melted on the bread.
    Rube: Sorry. I can't do that.
    Customer: What do you mean?
    Rube: Well, you give on one little thing, you compromise and compromise.. .until you're a shell of a man beaten down and you stand for nothing.
    Customer: ... I want to talk to the manager.
    Rube: A dish is a collection of flavours, consistencies. Start swapping ingredients and it's like f**king with a Jenga tower of tastes. You don't know what you're asking for.
    Customer: I know.
    Rube: Kraut on Der Patty Melt is akin to knocking the tower down.
    Customer: "Der Patty Melt" should have kraut on it.
    Rube: ... "Der" is German for "the." The Waffle House. The patty melt.
    Customer: I want der f**king patty melt with der cheese melted on der bread with der f**king kraut on it! Got it?
    Rube: No, you got it. On der house. (Rube knocks the "unsatisfactory" patty melt that had been on the plate in front of the customer into the customer's lap.)

eta: typo
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's and Whole Foods both have whole wheat pizza dough that you can roll out yourself to your own thickness. We've made homemade crusts from scratch, used Boboli crusts, my husband even bought a Chef Boyardee kit a few weeks ago because he thought it would be fun with the kids. All were good in their own way! I also enjoy the tortilla pizza (we used to make those as afternoon snacks when I was a kid).

Topping wise - here are some combinations I like - some are lower calorie than others.

I like to buy flavored chicken sausage, like spinach/asiago from Sams, cut those into coins and put that on pizza with roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, and sun dried tomatoes. I use regular shredded mozzerella for that one.

Traditional margherita pizza with sliced fresh mozzerella, good tomato sauce and basil. We make this one on the grill a lot in summer time with basil from our garden.

I also enjoy pesto as a sauce instead of tomato sauce sometimes. It's actually more calories but it is really good with chicken, spinach, feta, and roasted garlic. I usually do shredded mozzerella on this one.

We made mexican chicken/white bean pizza one evening. Mash a can of great northern beans with some cumin and minced garlic and a little bit of olive oil. Use that as the "sauce", then a little bit of salsa, grilled chicken, and monterey jack cheese. Sprinkled with fresh cilantro it was amazing

If we are doing Friday night pizza with the kids we usually just do sausage, pepperoni and black olives. We might do heart shaped pizza this week. :)

We have pizza almost every week. I can usually make 2-3 slices fit in my day, even with the beer!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is a thin, wheat flour based crust.

I cannot, in good conscience, refer to cauliflower as pizza. I just cannot do it!!!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'm from Chicago. I know good pizza. I appreciate good pizza. Sausage patty deep dish pizza. Yes, we're talking not chunks of sausage here and there, but a solid layer of Italian sausage on your pizza.

With that said....I actually don't mind the cauliflower crust "pizza." It's one of those things where you have to go into it with the appropriate expectations. It's not going to taste like wheat-based pizza crust. If the crust is your favorite part, then it might not be for you. But, it's a perfectly fine transport for pizza toppings, and if you're the sort of person who would eat an entire pizza in a sitting every day if you could make it fit your macros (not that I know anything about that), then it's a good once-in-awhile sub. My tip is to make it without sauce - do the crust, put down a sprinkle of olive oil and garlic, then do your cheese and toppings. Then heat up some pizza sauce to dip it into. The "crust" stays a little crustier that way.
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    I use the FOLDOUT Flatbread and put 1 tbsp. Olive oil on it, then sprinkle Italian seasoning on it and as many CHOPPED up veggies as possible, from cauliflower to broccoli to carrots to mushrooms....you can literally customize it to your liking. I add onions and garlic (fresh) and then use the low fat or fat free cheese on top to melt it down.

I made it for a group of my girlfriends who LOVED it, then in turn made it for their husbands. They didn't care it was "HEALTHY" they just loved how good it tasted! :)
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    for anyone that wants a frozen pizza (if you dont care about being ""healthy"") with really low cals i suggest mccains ultra thin crust pizzas.. ive had the pollo variety and spinach provolone and they were delicious. it's about the size of a large plate, a whole pizza is ~600 calories. i usually eat half and have some scrambled egg whites and salad as a side for some protein etc and the other half the next day