how to motivate my spouse

Options
2»

Replies

• rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are newlyweds - we have only been married for about 5 months! We have both gained some weight since the wedding, and I am trying to set a good example. I ... do all the grocery shopping and cooking so that we can have a healthful meal at least 5 nights a week.

We both work the same amount of hours a week, and get home around the same time ...

If you are working the same amount, why are you doing all the grocery shopping and cooking?

Maybe you can have a discussion about cooking/shopping together to discover healthy foods together.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Maybe he isn't really into the gym right now. Have you tried suggesting an activity you can do together, like hiking or biking. My husband and I enjoyed doing the C25K together. We also like to hike when it is warmer.
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm actually on the other end of your scenario. I am the one who should be getting my butt in gear, but have only managed to do it all in my head, no action below the neck.
    We have only been married 2 years and I've gained 60lbs!!!!! since we got married. I know we were having such a good time eating and visiting wineries and happily goofing around, but when it all settled down ..........I looked at myself and holy cow, what happened?

My husband is diabetic and does a good job keeping his weight in check. He tries to motivate me, (in a very loving , non nagging way), cooks healthy dinners, goes to the gym, wants to go for walks. I do enjoy going on scenic hikes, maybe you guys could do that? He even tells me he would do whatever I needed to get healthier, and I just don't know why I don't do it. I'm going to be 50 next year so it is imperative I get my butt moving, but night after night I sit. Just don't wanna.....

I know it has to come from within. I need to do it for my health and for my son and husband. I know what it feels like to be healthy........

I agree with the people who say you need to do this for you, while including him in the healthy meals. One day he just might join you..........
  • tropicaltiger
    Options
    my husband both workout-so that something he enjoys and I enjoy-but most of the time we don't go together-maybe he just isn't into the gym right now-so find other things to do together-go for a bike ride-maybe workout at home-the only prson you can change is yourself-I know you said you think it will make you relationship stronger-but he has to want it-my husband worked out for over 20 years for me its been 5 years since I took my weight off-and at first we went together now sometimes we do sometime we don't-maybe invite him -also as others said cook healthy meals if your concerned about health-maybe he feels funy if he put on weight to walk in the gym-remember my friend-don't do this for your husband do this for yourself-when I go to the gym the only person I go for is myself-your husband may come around
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My husband is obese. I have tried numerous times to get him to workout with me but he's not interested. I have asked him several times to at least try a weight lifting program but he just isn't interested. He does cook healthy most of the time and will occasionally ride his stationary bike but that's about it. We have been together 20 years and I learned a long time ago I can't force him to do anything. I have to admit it bothers me though when we do things like go hiking and he can't keep up with me.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have mentioned to my boyfriend that we could work out together and sometimes (rarely) we do. When we do- we have a good time together and we have fun. He is unhappy at his weight and admits he isnt ready to be a consistent gym goer like me. Does this make me sad- meh- a little I guess. I would never want to make him feel bad about himself- I know he will come around- and I dont want him to feel obligated to do something unless its a major health issue.

I know he has got more motivated since I have lost some weight and become more fit. Its made him say things like he needs to get his mind right- and he is always supportive of me going to the gym even if it cuts into some time with each other...

Good luck with your own health and fitness journey
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    This is one of those things where you have to "lead by example." Don't push it on him or "drop hints" or anything like that.

My husband could have stood to lose some weight when I started my journey. It took about 6 months-ish for him to "get on board" and start on MFP, and figure out what to do for fitness.

Give him time. If he joins you, great. If he doesn't, love him anyway.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You can't be the food police or the exercise police. He has to want to take care of himself.

(I'm a newlywed too. We're married 27 years.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    All you can do is be an example. Also, you could still encourage him to join you at the gym...but maybe also encourage him to do other things that are otherwise active. I personally wouldn't set foot in a gym if it weren't for the weight room.

My wife was reluctant for a long time to take up her fitness again (she used to be quite the little athlete)...she was eating a lot better largely because I'm the primary cook in my home and I started cooking a lot better and really just kept our portions in check...but she was pretty reluctant to go workout.

I started really hitting my fitness in November of 2012 with mostly running and riding my bike and walking, etc...in January of 2013 I joined the gym to start lifting...my wife came with me all of 2 or 3 times early on. As I continued to progress in my fitness and my weight-loss and started entering races and other events I think that's when it finally clicked for her that she needed to get on board with this stuff too...she could see that I was in this for the long haul and these things were becoming an intricate part of my life.

She finally started getting back into things in June of 2013...almost 7 months after I started...and she's been going strong ever since. We don't really do the same stuff and we alternate days at the gym due to needing someone to watch the kids...she does New Rules and I do a slightly altered version of 5/3/1 in the weight room...she runs and is training for a 1/2 marathon and I primarily ride my bike and am training for a 1/2 century and a metric century. We will both probably do a couple of mud runs in the summer just for ****s and giggles.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I talk to my husband about what I'm doing and why. He sometimes works out on the weekends especially when I'm trying hard. We do like to go on hikes together when the weather is nice. It takes time. 5 months is a drop in the bucket when you're talking about 50 years of marriage! Let him take his time and just be there for him when he's ready.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    You can't be the food police or the exercise police. He has to want to take care of himself.
    Ding ding. If you're (generic "you") exercising for anyone other than the person in the mirror, it seems to me you've got your priorities wrong and are more likely to fail.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    well, if you do not do it together
    there are lots of other hotties out there that will.
    giddy up.
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I tried this. My husband joined the gym but never wanted to go when I wanted to go. I wound up going less because I didn't want to "force him" to go. Eventually he told me he just hates doing it and so I do my own thing now. You can't force somebody to do something they dont want to do. You'll both regret it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are newlyweds - we have only been married for about 5 months! We have both gained some weight since the wedding, and I am trying to set a good example. I joined a gym, work out consistently, and do all the grocery shopping and cooking so that we can have a healthful meal at least 5 nights a week.

We both work the same amount of hours a week, and get home around the same time, so I have been encouraging him to join my gym with me. He usually claims that he's too tired or just wants to relax instead of going to the gym.

I want us both to be healthy so that we can have a long and happy life together - I also think that working out together would strengthen our marriage! How can I convince him that this is something we should do together?
    You can't convince him. He has to do that on his own. And trust that mentioning it all the time isn't going to encourage him to go. Just do what you do. If he's interested, he'll end up going.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    OP, it's admirable and very natural that you want your husband to be as healthy as he can be; we usually want the best for the ones we love, right? But like everyone else has said, motivation comes from within. Your profile says that you've been struggling with your weight since you were a teenager--so I'm going to go out on a limb and hope that means that at some point in your life someone else wanted *you* to lose the weight when you weren't at that place. Did you do it then? Probably not, or not for long. Did you need someone to tell you that you needed to lose weight? Probably not, because you already knew. Do you remember what it felt like to be told that (directly or indirectly)? Hold onto that feeling and apply it to the current situation.

That sort of pressure makes a lot of people rebel; we *know* what we need to do, but we might not be ready to do it, so laudable as it is to want your family to be healthy, all you can do is worry about your best health and keep leading by example. Your husband will join you when he's ready (which hopefully won't be long but could be, alas).

All the best to you and your family!
  • TXEXrunner
    TXEXrunner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    XO - I applaud your effort - your motives are exactly where they should be - a healthier you and your husband. Don't ever stop making that a priority in your marriage.
    Change is hard (especially for us guys) but with marriage comes a lot of change (and compromise). Continue to impress upon him how important workouts and healthy eating are to you. Working out together also means time together - something important to all married couples (as you note strengthens the marriage). Especially as newlyweds (I expect y'all are still "stupid in love" about each other) time doing anything together is highly desirable. You may also consider inviting him to help prepare dinner with you, another opportunity at time together.
    Perhaps walks around the neighborhood or other fitness activities outside the gym may be a near term "compromise" that meets your needs/ goals. Let him know you respect his decision, but continue to encourage him to join you in those activities you like to do. Best of luck.