help need to lose 20 pounds in 2 months is it possible?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am obese 5'4 221lbs

I started way heavier, but the first 20 came off in the first three weeks for me. I think about 8-10 of it was water weight. I cut to 1500 calories. Mind you, I was starving and too weak to exercise, but it came off.

Just out of curiosity.... would you recommend doing this to others? Or in hindsight, would you have taken things slower, right from the get-go?

You know what? I am glad that I began my "journey" the way I did. I quickly unlearned all the dieting myths that I had believed from experience, and from the MFP forums.

I generally don't make calorie recommendations to people. The OP asked if it was possible, and yes, if you are obese, then it's possible. In fact, while it might be uncomfortable, it isn't unsafe for an obese woman to eat 1500 calories. I am currently eating roughly 2500ish to maintain. I rarely eat less than 2000 to lose. But not every woman can eat like me. A lot of women would be *gaining* if they ate at 2500 calories without doing buttloads of cardio.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I am obese 5'4 221lbs

I started way heavier, but the first 20 came off in the first three weeks for me. I think about 8-10 of it was water weight. I cut to 1500 calories. Mind you, I was starving and too weak to exercise, but it came off.

Just out of curiosity.... would you recommend doing this to others? Or in hindsight, would you have taken things slower, right from the get-go?

You know what? I am glad that I began my "journey" the way I did. I quickly unlearned all the dieting myths that I had believed from experience, and from the MFP forums.

I generally don't make calorie recommendations to people. The OP asked if it was possible, and yes, if you are obese, then it's possible. In fact, while it might be uncomfortable, it isn't unsafe for an obese woman to eat 1500 calories. I am currently eating roughly 2500ish to maintain. I rarely eat less than 2000 to lose. But not every woman can eat like me. A lot of women would be *gaining* if they ate at 2500 calories without doing buttloads of cardio.

Thanks. I just wondered, because I did 'my own thing' before I found MFP.... I juiced, for a bit, then did juice and salads... and lost the majority of what I had to lose, before I sought any real guidance. Now, when I look at myself, and where I am today... I wonder if I shouldn't have done things differently. I'm happy to be much lighter, but I think I brought alot of this skinny-fatness upon myself, and could have wound up with a much nicer body at this same point in time, if I'd have found and listened to MFP in the 1st place.

Our situations are quite a bit different, though, I think.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    You should find a pro ana or pro mia site to give you better results. No, seriously, get your head on straight.

Okay, you don't want to? In that case...You like losing muscle with your fat? Then don't eat. Get your skinny fat on, girl.

Reading fail.

obamam-lol-y-u-mad-tho.jpg?1261515514
  • abelthephotographer
    Options
    I was very surprised to go back and check and find that I lost 18lbs in two months at the beginning of the year. To do that I was pretty strict with calorie intake and became 1000% more active than I had been - mostly very brisk walking, a few miles a day. So it is potentially achievable, but don't look for or expect to lose at that rate in the long term.

Good luck.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I am obese 5'4 221lbs

Thanks. I just wondered, because I did 'my own thing' before I found MFP.... I juiced, for a bit, then did juice and salads... and lost the majority of what I had to lose, before I sought any real guidance. Now, when I look at myself, and where I am today... I wonder if I shouldn't have done things differently. I'm happy to be much lighter, but I think I brought alot of this skinny-fatness upon myself, and could have wound up with a much nicer body at this same point in time, if I'd have found and listened to MFP in the 1st place.

Our situations are quite a bit different, though, I think.

Yes, indeed. In fact, it was when someone posted the link to MFP on Facebook that I checked it out. I never would have even tried to lose weight without this site because I thought losing weight meant you had to be hungry and never eat sugar, etc.
  • katybobo
    Options
    How is your goal coming along? what did you decide to do to accomplish your 20lb target?
  • spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    1) Totally doable.
    2) I respect your choice in goal and date. No you don't HAVE to lose for a concert, but this is clearly a motivation for you and therefore positive.
    3) Would love to hear how you're coming along.

Good luck!
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    It was possible for me, but everyone's body does not react the same. Having a weightloss goal is a good thing. Just keep in mind that your progress may not show up on the scale the way you want it to. A lot of people drop dress sizes without losing a lot of weight. Just make sure your route to successful weight loss is sustainable. Don't starve yourself. Make sure your body is getting the calories it needs to keep up with your workouts. The more you workout, the more you need to eat. Drink lots of water. Good luck.
  • Annalisa_87
    Annalisa_87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes it is seriously possible. Takes commitment, but you can do it.
  • ash_37
    ash_37 Posts: 35
    Options
    Determined how on earth do you lose 10ibs a month? I barely lose 1ib a week and I workout a lot? Please tell what you eat and u ow you do it?
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    WOW that is quite a lot in 2 months - But I wouldn't say you couldn't do it!

All depends how much you want it!!!

Get down the gym, sweat your *kitten* off, drink lots of water, up your protein, Lots of veggies & fruits, log on here everyday or hit your macros, weigh once a week : )

GOOD LUCK!

Wish you all the best
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    If you only have 20lbs to lose, no way. Not possible at all, barring some extremely unhealthy measures taken.

The closer you are to goal, the more your body will cling to those last few pounds. Sorry, it happens to everyone.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Given that the concert was yesterday, I'm curious to see whether the 20lb in two months was doable?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Given that the concert was yesterday, I'm curious to see whether the 20lb in two months was doable?

me too!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Woah, did I just fall for a zombie thread? Damn, I need to check OP post dates better...:ohwell:
  • SouthGaPeach
    SouthGaPeach Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    it is possible - I have lost 6lbs. in 10 days eating 1200 calories (gone over the limit 2 or 3 days for various reasons but not by a whole lot) and working out about 1/2 of that amount of time. (the first week, I wasn't doing hardly any exercising) It all just depends on your body! :)
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You can try. Start today, make a commitment. Even if you haven't lost all twenty pounds, you'll still be closer to your ultimate goals than you were yesterday. With a higher starting weight, it seems more feasible than if you were only a little overweight. Be persistent and consistent, log everything (weigh & measure it, too). Drink water, drink a lot of it.

I lost 9.2 pounds in January, but it's been slower this month. Maybe consider making your goal a range--you want to lose 20 pounds, but make it your goal to lose 12-20 pounds. If you didn't quite make it to twenty, you still met your first goal if you "only" lose 15 (or whatever).

It's not a race. It's good to set a goal, but don't be too hard on yourself if you don't quite make it.

ETA: I see this is an older thread. Oops.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

Woah, did I just fall for a zombie thread? Damn, I need to check OP post dates better...:ohwell:

Crap. Me too.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I am attending a concert in 2 months and really would like to lose 20 pounds prior to going? how many carbs and calories should i eat to achieve this goal ?

You won't know unless you try. Start now!

This doesn't seem to be a black-and-white issue, where you'll either successfully lose 20 or slack off and lose 0.

At the end the day (or, err...2 months), if you lose 10-15 pounds and not 20, would you consider that a failure?

Regarding carbs and calories, I don't even watch carbs. I go over the things I'm eating, in general, and make sure I'm putting healthy things in me (which of course would include good sources of carbs, though I don't meticulously count carbs). Other than that, it's about calories. And working out. If you're going to lose that much weight in 2 months, working out is imperative.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Crap. Me too.

Oh geez. We all got punk'd.