There is No Such Thing as Willpower (or Lack Thereof)

Options
2»

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    You're welcome. I hope it helps a few people to lose weight painlessly.

Learning more and more about consciousness and self-awareness are one of my weird hobbies. I'm an artist, but I just adore the brain. I find it amazing how much stock us humans tend to put in our own thoughts, especially negative self-talk. It's like we've never considered the possibility that those voices of self-doubt and criticism are lying.

Oh dear, I'm a psych major (emphasis on relaxation therapy)...it's not a weird hobby for me, it's worth my tuition lol I love behavior management, it makes so much sense to me. I also buy into Reiki and meditation, I didn't think it worked until I took a course in Reiki, and I'm now a believer, even if it's in my own head. The thought of changing my energy and thought patterns is fascinating...i can believe what ever I want and it's real (to me)...it's amazing to me that it's just as easy to say "i can do it" as it is to say "i can't do it" but the affects of those simple statements are HUGE!
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    Otherwise known as "Cognitive Behavioural Therapy" by your doctor.

I once had a guy say to me (while I was on a high dose of antidepressants) "Just think you are happy and you will be happy". Back then I could have stabbed him with a spoon in his face. But. To some extent (he was rather simplistic) he was right. You have to change your pattern of thinking. Many people say "people tell me it's all in my head" and guess what? Your thoughts, your feelings, your depression, your anxiety, your willpower, ALL of it IS IN YOUR HEAD. You just have to re-program yourself to think and feel better, food is one thing, depression and other medical issues are a bit deeper and take a lot longer to visualise (took me 5 years).

Anyway. My rant's done *L*
    I like the Matrix because there really is no spoon and it's all in your head, you can control your own destiny.
  • diverdi
    diverdi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Great post and so true. You can apply this to so many things, stopping overeating/drinking/smoking or any other negative behaviours.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sherry_80
    sherry_80 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Gershwyn
    Options
    I got bumped! <blush!> :blushing:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I got bumped! <blush!> :blushing:
    :laugh: It works that way...nice way to kick it over to 'my topics' for a later read:tongue:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,717 Member
    Options
    And bump-worthy it is, indeed!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,717 Member
    Options
    There's a weird, emotional heft to the word "willpower" in our society. When we claim that something "requires willpower", we are really saying that it will be difficult. But is it always? It is often repeated that weight loss "requires willpower", but is that everybody's experience? It hasn't been mine. In terms of counting calories and working out, it only seems to require some math.
    This line of thought applies equally well to quitting smoking. I quit, finally, after many years of smoking, Afterward, it occurred to me I could have stopped much sooner if only I hadn't believed it would be too difficult.
  • Gershwyn
    Options
    This line of thought applies equally well to quitting smoking. I quit, finally, after many years of smoking, Afterward, it occurred to me I could have stopped much sooner if only I hadn't believed it would be too difficult.

I found the exact same thing. In the end, the power the cigarette had over me was nothing compared to the power I had given the cigarette over me.

This can actually be demonstrated. I once took a 6-day canoe trip in the wilds of Northern Ontario. At the end of day 1, I ran out of cigarettes. But, knowing I was in the middle of nowhere and could do nothing about it, the pangs of withdrawal were almost unnoticeable. However, when we finally landed in civilization, the cravings returned with a vengeange -- some 5 days after I had escaped the physical addiction.
  • kdblev
    kdblev Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks, I needed that!
  • MsPitt
    MsPitt Posts: 78
    Options
    If only I could get my husband to think this way about spending money! lol!
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    This is very good, and I mostly agree with you. I mean, personally once I realized that I was using my weight as a reason not to have good relationships, it was a logical next step to realize that each small food transgression was still a judgement against having people in my life. I realized that for me it really came down to what was more important: food or people. Thankfully I chose people and since then I have been able to lose weight, exercise, and enjoy eating healthy!

The only thing is, I really do believe in will power, or something like it with a different name. I was reading some clinical studies of brain scans done, that showed that using will power on ANYTHING (saying no chocolate, or saying yes to cleaning) used up stores of glucose in the brain, and made it significantly harder, sometimes impossible to make more consecutive "will power" decisions. Basically it is hard work for your brain when you override it's instincts and try to do something you don't want to do. It requires more energy, is exhausting, and you need to be replenished.

I don't think that this is out of line with what you are saying though. Because really, for me now I don't have to tap into my "will power" glucose stores in order to follow my diet plan. Diets I tried doing before my revelation about food vs. people were a torture of continuous hard decisions, but now I really am happy and excited to do those things. Perhaps because of that I am also not letting other areas of my life suffer because of my diet like I had done during those previous torture diet spells.

The literature I read about the will power glucose stores suggested that students should be sure to eat small healthy snacks while studying to ensure they continued studying and also had the will power to make good meal decisions later in the day. I think that for dieters like us who have tapped into a reason that dieting is not a chore, this knowledge is mostly useful in times of diet trial like Thanksgiving, or a plateau.

It's also useful to me to know that if I have a long day of chores ahead of me, I should make sure to bring small healthy snacks along for the ride :P
  • lehuagirl
    lehuagirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi. Just wanted this to be in my topics so I could follow it and be inspired. I agree, so how do I change the "I can't" to "I can." Is it willpower? He he
  • lehuagirl
    Options
    I love your half mile by Christmas goal! Last year I did "Couch Potato to 5K" (You can google it) and it was sooooooo helpful. I did not make my 5K goal, but went from not being able to run 60 seconds without sucking wind to running 2.3 miles and 25 minutes steady!!! I was so surprised at how short a distance I could go in those LOOOOONG 60 seconds at first LOL
  • gurlondrums
    Options
    We need a like button on here.

*LIKE LIKE LIKE!!!*
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    @lehuagirl - Yes, I am using C25K, but kind of modified. I listed to the Ullrey podcasts in order to direct the intervals, which is very helpful. I am really happy to hear that you found so much success with it. It isn't necessarily my goal to run in 5k's I just really want to be able to run. It is something that I didn't believe was possible for me to do my whole life, but I recently realized that the only thing holding me back was the belief I couldn't. Anyway, I can run about a quarter mile right now, which is huge progress since I could barely run a few feet before I started losing weight and exercising. My attitude towards running has also changed and I'm slowly beginning to actually enjoy it!
  • lehuagirl
    Options
    You go girl, for that Christmas goal. I have heard that you get addicted to that "runner's high." Wish I could say I got there, but the pride in my accomplishment was huge! I live in MN, so I am re-starting my exercise on a cross trainer. You can bug me on that front anyone!