Anyone have any suggestion on a jump start program

Options

Replies

• Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I jump started my weight loss journey on 10/13/13 by making a decision....to get off my back side and move.

Everything else after that is really quite simple and it boils down to TIME, EFFORT and PATIENCE.

No gimmicks, no fads, no get slim fast pills or smoothies.

Eat at a calorie deficit and move....the end.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have been at it for 5 weeks and have lost 26 pounds. For the first 3 days, I did 1/2 hour on the eliptical. Then I moved to an 800 calorie burned daily goal (about 56 minutes). When I lost the first 10 lbs after like 2 weeks, my goals were re-calculated and 80 calories were taken away from my daily allowance (ughhhhhh!!) so I upped my calories burned to 880 daily. I didn't see the results I wanted that week, so I bumped it up to 1200 calories burned daily. On top of that, I try not to eat more than 1000 calories daily; although on the days I have to be in the office all day, I usually go over. I look at it like this: When I am down to my goal weight, my metabolisim will be functioning correctly and I will be able to eat whatever I like (in moderation), but for now I GOTTA WORK. Which sucks.

^^ NOT this. This is a recipe for a.) disaster, b.) bad health, and c.) yo-yo dieting. As soon as you hit your "goal", you will immediately gain 20 lbs. back when you *attempt* to transition to a maintenance diet.
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options
    I assume you are on a chair at the moment. Jump up.... then start.

BAM!

^^ This person has won the interwebs for the day :)
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options
    I have been hearing good things about alli. Supposed to jump start weight lost Give it the try!

^^ Seems legit.. IF you consider spending a significant amount of money on a "magic" pill and having to wear a diaper at all times a *good* thing.
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options
    Cleaning up your diet can make a big difference, along with lots of water (2 liters per day) and some exercise.
    YES
    When you are up to the challenge, they also have a 21 day cleanse. It is challenging - fruits, vegetables, nuts, and healthy fats. Designed by a nutritionist, it keeps the proper nutrition going, including protein, with cleanse friendly food. It is about removing the toxins from your body, and getting your gut working well, not about weight loss. Still, many lose 5 or more pounds because they are eating healthy. Be aware that this cleanse is not about counting calories, but about getting proper nutrition. During that 21 days you will get rid of coffee, alcohol, soda, refined sugar, gluten (most grains), and meat. The foods are fresh, mostly organic and the recipes require a good deal of prep. That being said, after the first few days of toxin release, you feel great have great skin and can think clearly.

NO!!!!!! Toxins, schmoxins - cleanses are a bunch of hooey.

^^ THIS. And by toxins, why don't they just call the "toxin" what it is: s**t. All you are doing is using diuretics to empty your bowels. Period. If that's what you are looking for, save your money on all the fad "cleansers" and spend less that $5 on a couple of bottles of magnesium citrate. Just don't make any plans afterward :).
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options
    The best "Jump Start" that I can recommend would be to start with the basics:

1. Good Nutrition (count all calories)
    2. Increase activity
    3. Drink plenty of water!

Good luck!

^this

...and #2 and #3 are optional.

#2 isn't really optional.

I mean, if you want to be healthy. If you just want to lose any weight at all...then there's all sorts of crazy surgeries you can try.

OP's stated objective is to get to a certain weight. No reference whatsoever to health...

...and while they're both beneficial to health, they are not essential at all to weight loss...

...so I'm standing by my assertion that #2 and #3 are entirely optional.

^^ Do not listen to this at all. Obviously, someone needs to use their "Google machine" and research a.) the role that water plays to maintain the human metabolism, the role that exercise plays in the human metabolism, and how the lack of either, over a period of time, will cause the metabolism to slow and adapt to the amount of "fuel" you put into it.

If your body adapts to only using 600 calories a day to function (poorly), just imagine how much of a deficit and how little you could actually eat on a calorie budget to lose any weight at all once you plateau.. Or, how quickly you would gain back once you allowed yourself a "cheat" meal.

But, I obviously know nothing.. I've only researched this to no end, consult multiple nutritionists, and have only lost a mere 93 POUNDS myself -- over 70 of them were before tracking anything with MFP.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have been at it for 5 weeks and have lost 26 pounds. For the first 3 days, I did 1/2 hour on the eliptical. Then I moved to an 800 calorie burned daily goal (about 56 minutes). When I lost the first 10 lbs after like 2 weeks, my goals were re-calculated and 80 calories were taken away from my daily allowance (ughhhhhh!!) so I upped my calories burned to 880 daily. I didn't see the results I wanted that week, so I bumped it up to 1200 calories burned daily. On top of that, I try not to eat more than 1000 calories daily; although on the days I have to be in the office all day, I usually go over. I look at it like this: When I am down to my goal weight, my metabolisim will be functioning correctly and I will be able to eat whatever I like (in moderation), but for now I GOTTA WORK. Which sucks.

My favorite is the "get metabolism functioning then I can eat whatever I like" BAHAHAHAHAHAH????????????
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

2. Increase activity

Good luck!

^this

I mean, if you want to be healthy. If you just want to lose any weight at all...then there's all sorts of crazy surgeries you can try.

OP's stated objective is to get to a certain weight. No reference whatsoever to health...

...and while they're both beneficial to health, they are not essential at all to weight loss...

^^ Do not listen to this at all. Obviously, someone needs to use their "Google machine" and research a.) the role that water plays to maintain the human metabolism, the role that exercise plays in the human metabolism, and how the lack of either, over a period of time, will cause the metabolism to slow and adapt to the amount of "fuel" you put into it.

If your body adapts to only using 600 calories a day to function (poorly), just imagine how much of a deficit and how little you could actually eat on a calorie budget to lose any weight at all once you plateau.. Or, how quickly you would gain back once you allowed yourself a "cheat" meal.

But, I obviously know nothing.. I've only researched this to no end, consult multiple nutritionists, and have only lost a mere 93 POUNDS myself -- over 70 of them were before tracking anything with MFP.

Huh? "Role water plays to maintain the human metabolism"??? Beyond the amount of water we drink when we're thirsty already? You're right...I am not aware of diminished metabolism from drinking to thirst.

As for the rest of your post, I believe you have misread what I typed. Nowhere did I say anything about 600 calories/day. That's crazy-talk.

Meh. Best of luck with all your health and fitness goals. I obviously know nothing either.

ETA: If you read my post correctly, you'll see that I said that "good nutrition" (by which I interpreted it as "adequate and appropriate nutrition" as "good nutrition" wasn't my choice of phrasing) is all that is needed for effective weight loss. I didn't say ideal weight loss...or optimal health...but effective weight loss...because it's true. Just ask your team of nutritionists.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    If I understand you correctly, unlike many who are like "noooooo," you are just looking for something to help with your confidence that improvements will be seen. I would start with the amount MFP calculates for you and eat back your exercise calories. Drink lots of water. 30 Day Shred is cheap; go buy it and do it. Add in 30 minutes of walking most days of the week. You should see substantial fitness and confidence:flowerforyou: improvements in 4-6 weeks.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hi Becky,
    I love your sleepy kitty photo.
    You are lucky and I am envious of your elliptical. I have to go to the gym for it. On the positive side the gym units have individual televisions with cable so I can watch Discovery or History Channel and my workout time really disappears that way.
    It is good you are here and reaching out for support. Most responders here so far have said you can't or shouldn't jump start.
    Another way to look at it is that you set a small daily goal and that way at the end of the day you can pat yourself on the back for doing as you intended; and meanwhile you are trusting that the payoff in the improvement to your fitness will show up gradually over a number of days, which comprises a second reward. I hope all of the responses here will be encouraging to you.
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options

2. Increase activity

Good luck!

^this

Huh? "Role water plays to maintain the human metabolism"??? Beyond the amount of water we drink when we're thirsty already? You're right...I am not aware of diminished metabolism from drinking to thirst.

As for the rest of your post, I believe you have misread what I typed. Nowhere did I say anything about 600 calories/day. That's crazy-talk.

Meh. Best of luck with all your health and fitness goals. I obviously know nothing either.

ETA: If you read my post correctly, you'll see that I said that "good nutrition" (by which I interpreted it as "adequate and appropriate nutrition" as "good nutrition" wasn't my choice of phrasing) is all that is needed for effective weight loss. I didn't say ideal weight loss...or optimal health...but effective weight loss...because it's true. Just ask your team of nutritionists.

Water in relation to metabolism: http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/jc.2006-1438

Aside from cellular/health/metabolic benefits, it works well to prevent unnecessary over eating or exceeding the daily calorie budget.

Nutrition is most important -- this is why I mentioned counting calories first. While you mention nutrition being key, you fail to mention the biggest component: calories burned must be greater than calories ingested in order to achieve weight loss. This is why I recommended an increase in activity (aside from overall health).

As for your body's metabolic adaptation over time, I trust that you can research that on your own time. As for my "team" of nutritionists, I guess having three of them in the family could be classified as a team. If not, it doesn't hurt that both my wife and I are both scientists with her Master's degree specialties being in microbiology and toxicology.

To the OP: best of luck on your journey! Take each week one day at a time and each day one step at a time!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Interesting. "This work was supported by the Helmholtz Society and an unrestricted grant from Forum Trinkwasser e.V."

Hadn't heard of "water induced thermogenesis" before. Here's another recent reference http://www.jcdr.net/articles/PDF/3344/18- 5862_E(C)_F(P)_PF1(Prashob_P)_PFA(P.pdf

I wonder if the 14 calories a pint also applies to beer ;-)
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

2. Increase activity

Good luck!

^this

Water in relation to metabolism: http://press.endocrine.org/doi/abs/10.1210/jc.2006-1438

Aside from cellular/health/metabolic benefits, it works well to prevent unnecessary over eating or exceeding the daily calorie budget.

Nutrition is most important -- this is why I mentioned counting calories first. While you mention nutrition being key, you fail to mention the biggest component: calories burned must be greater than calories ingested in order to achieve weight loss. This is why I recommended an increase in activity (aside from overall health).

As for your body's metabolic adaptation over time, I trust that you can research that on your own time. As for my "team" of nutritionists, I guess having three of them in the family could be classified as a team. If not, it doesn't hurt that both my wife and I are both scientists with her Master's degree specialties being in microbiology and toxicology.

To the OP: best of luck on your journey! Take each week one day at a time and each day one step at a time!

I'll clarify:

OP asked for a way to "jump start" weight loss.

My answer is: there is none...and the only thing that is absolutely essential...(read: non-optional)...is that her calories expended be greater than her calories consumed. Increasing activity is not essential. (In fact, increasing activity while not ensuring calories are in check can easily lead to increasing *more* net calories.) Drinking plenty of water is not essential.. Optimal nutrition isn't essential. Calories, and calories alone, are what are essential. It is not the only component, obviously, but it is the only component that is essential.

Congratulations on your formal education and the formal education of your family. May you put it to good use in your reading comprehension of what it is I am and am not saying in my posts. As for my formal education and that of my family's, I'm excluding it from this exchange as it is completely irrelevant.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    lol
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options
    I'll clarify:

Yes, I am well aware of this. But, the "jump start" needs to be based on healthy habits.
    My answer is: there is none...and the only thing that is absolutely essential...(read: non-optional)...is that her calories expended be greater than her calories consumed. Increasing activity is not essential. (In fact, increasing activity while not ensuring calories are in check can easily lead to increasing *more* net calories.)

Yes, this is a fact; I mentioned this in my previous reply to you. It is nothing more than simple math. This is why you *count* calories to begin with -- to ensure that you burn more than you take in.
    Drinking plenty of water is not essential.. Optimal nutrition isn't essential. Calories, and calories alone, are what are essential. It is not the only component, obviously, but it is the only component that is essential.

Congratulations on your formal education and the formal education of your family. May you put it to good use in your reading comprehension of what it is I am and am not saying in my posts.

While optimal nutrition is not necessarily essential to lose weight (however, I would recommend reading about macro nutrients), adequate water intake IS essential to a properly functioning metabolism. I highly recommend taking a moment to read the scientific journal article that I provided a link to. My reading comprehension actually worked well despite the fact that this article has a lot of big words in it.. Go figure.
    As for my formal education and that of my family's, I'm excluding it from this exchange as it is completely irrelevant.

I would have preferred to do the same. But, unlike yourself, I cite references when applicable and it appeared as if you may have wanted or needed references/justification with your "team of nutritionists" comment. I did the same with providing a link to one of many scientific journal articles to justify my assertions.

While most everyone in this thread has offered the OP good, HEALTHY advice toward achieving their goal, you have done nothing but troll and start a BS debate over the semantics of the OP's question. That being said, I am finished with this exchange and refuse to further engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. Good day to you, sir.

To the OP: I wish you the best of luck on your journey and hope that your reach your goal!
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options

Interesting. "This work was supported by the Helmholtz Society and an unrestricted grant from Forum Trinkwasser e.V."

Hadn't heard of "water induced thermogenesis" before. Here's another recent reference http://www.jcdr.net/articles/PDF/3344/18- 5862_E(C)_F(P)_PF1(Prashob_P)_PFA(P.pdf

I wonder if the 14 calories a pint also applies to beer ;-)

I WISH IT DID! :drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I'll clarify:

Yes, I am well aware of this. But, the "jump start" needs to be based on healthy habits.
    My answer is: there is none...and the only thing that is absolutely essential...(read: non-optional)...is that her calories expended be greater than her calories consumed. Increasing activity is not essential. (In fact, increasing activity while not ensuring calories are in check can easily lead to increasing *more* net calories.)

Yes, this is a fact; I mentioned this in my previous reply to you. It is nothing more than simple math. This is why you *count* calories to begin with -- to ensure that you burn more than you take in.
    Drinking plenty of water is not essential.. Optimal nutrition isn't essential. Calories, and calories alone, are what are essential. It is not the only component, obviously, but it is the only component that is essential.

Congratulations on your formal education and the formal education of your family. May you put it to good use in your reading comprehension of what it is I am and am not saying in my posts.

While optimal nutrition is not necessarily essential to lose weight (however, I would recommend reading about macro nutrients), adequate water intake IS essential to a properly functioning metabolism. I highly recommend taking a moment to read the scientific journal article that I provided a link to. My reading comprehension actually worked well despite the fact that this article has a lot of big words in it.. Go figure.
    As for my formal education and that of my family's, I'm excluding it from this exchange as it is completely irrelevant.

I would have preferred to do the same. But, unlike yourself, I cite references when applicable and it appeared as if you may have wanted or needed references/justification with your "team of nutritionists" comment. I did the same with providing a link to one of many scientific journal articles to justify my assertions.

While most everyone in this thread has offered the OP good, HEALTHY advice toward achieving their goal, you have done nothing but troll and start a BS debate over the semantics of the OP's question. That being said, I am finished with this exchange and refuse to further engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. Good day to you, sir.

To the OP: I wish you the best of luck on your journey and hope that your reach your goal!

If points were awarded for self-righteousness, you sir, would win all the points.

In fact, my new goal in life is to one day have and demonstrate even half as much wit and intellect as you believe you possess.

And I'll look forward to watching your future posts for the words of wisdom, correction and reproof that you so graciously share with the huddled masses of MFP. May your tenure here be long and glorious.

To the OP: I hope the simpleness and succinctness of my initial reply did not distract you from the infallible truth that weight loss is still, like I said originally and continue to say, a simple matter of caloric deficit. (Beyond that, as has been mentioned by many others in this very thread, there are numerous considerations...but that one simple truth remains.)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'll clarify:

If points were awarded for self-righteousness, you sir, would win all the points.

In fact, my new goal in life is to one day have and demonstrate even half as much wit and intellect as you believe you possess.

And I'll look forward to watching your future posts for the words of wisdom, correction and reproof that you so graciously share with the huddled masses of MFP. May your tenure here be long and glorious.

To the OP: I hope the simpleness and succinctness of my initial reply did not distract you from the infallible truth that weight loss is still, like I said originally and continue to say, a simple matter of caloric deficit. (Beyond that, as has been mentioned by many others in this very thread, there are numerous considerations...but that one simple truth remains.)

tumblr_luoxltKH9w1r6aoq4o1_500.gif
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I'll clarify:

tumblr_luoxltKH9w1r6aoq4o1_500.gif
    kneel-befor-zod-o.gif
  • kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options

So often I see people burn out quickly because they go balls to the wall right off the bat. Small steps are often the best steps for people that have had bad habits for so long.

I agree - When I tried diving headfirst into starving myself and working out all the time, I quit really quickly. I can't say I've lost all that much weight yet, but what works for me is making small changes, getting used to them, and then making more changes. Mostly diet changes. I started juicing, which got me eating carrots. I switched from chips to sweet potato chips. I bought everything whole grain, and now I'm trying to wean away from gluten all together. I drink tons of water, which took a long time to form a habit of. I walk to school and walk my dog, and Im hoping to increase my walking and add in some gym-time soon. I've heard people recommend one small goal a week, which I really like. An example could be: week 1 drink 3 liters of water every day. Week 2 walk for one mile every day. Week 3 go to the gym twice. Week 4 eat under my calorie goal every day.... etc.