Calorie Counting Dr Oz Show

Options
OK Great. Yesterday on the Dr. OZ show the Paleo diet rep said that most people who count calories as a weight loss technique end up gaining back all and more of their weight. The statistics he quoted were high. What do you all think? I found it discouraging since that is what is working for me right now. Grrr.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It's Dr Oz he talks out of his ****
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    That's discouraging. :(
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    You are not likely to find high opinions of Dr. Oz or any of his guests on these threads. Carry on and ignore the quack.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think people who go on diets that completely eliminate food groups end up failing long before they have the chance to gain it all back.

Tons of us have had success with calorie counting. Many of us could leave here and do well without counting calories because we are aware of serving size and calorie dense items. Learn tools while you are here to carry on forever.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I think you should stop watching the Dr Oz show.

As for the calorie counting, if you begin to understand nutrition, portion control, moderation and a better relationship with food you will have better success keeping off the weight.
  • Sery18
    Sery18 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Opinions, opinions! It's all about choices! Any type of a "diet" is or should be a life change. Being healthy is a choice. Eating right is a choice. Being happy is a choice:) Nuf said!!
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    what may work for some may not for others . find what works for you and screw dr Oz . he is getting paid to say the things he says
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    droz.jpg
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The Dr. Oz show is about as credible as the Tyra Banks show.
    You feel me, bro?
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    A lot of people who try all kinds of weight loss methods fail. For example, people can calorie count AND try eliminate favorite/comfort foods. That fails frequently, and it isn't because of counting calories.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    droz.jpg

Oh my god I love you.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I think it's over-simplification. In particular, I think it's done so that the Paleo diet rep can tell you his diet is your cure-all if you stick to it. Of course, the same could be said of counting calories.

IMO, the reason people who lose weight by dieting gain it back is they forget their body needs constant attention and then they stop maintaining whatever discipline they used. If you use things like counting calories as a temporary solution to "fix" something and don't incorporate it as a new part of your lifestyle, you're going to fall back on old habits once your "diet" is over. The result is you get back to your old weight.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Well if you count calories.. and then stop and stop caring you will probably gain them back. But I am going to be optimistic that country calories now will lead me to make better choices far into my future!!!!

I did PALEO for a while last year.. and while I am not strict paleo anymore I gain a lot of knowledge and good habits that I am still using now!
  • atcross
    atcross Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well, I've heard from several sources that most people who lose weight on any kind of diet will ultimately regain it. People try to say that you will not gain weight if you eat mostly healthful, nutrient-dense food, but I sure as heck have. Calories matter. It's better they are nutritious calories, but it still matters how much healthy food you eat. Besides, doesn't Dr. Oz endorse all kinds of stupid, useless or dangerous diet drugs? I don't think I'd be taking any advice from him.
  • Azchange
    Azchange Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    that is what is working for me .

What is the question?
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a extremely great HEART Dr. he has this show and he does try for heart reasons to get people to lose wt. that said we all have our 'diet' idea so he seems to bring on many of the leading diets, diets that have worked for MANY and shows the pros and I suppose any cons... I've actually seen him come out and say when he was wrong about a certain thing and say why he was wrong... so that said, it is up to you to do more research if you are interested in that diet or in that information, google it and then go to MD.com or Mayo clinic.com and educate yourself.
  • shelbym87
    shelbym87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    First of all, if health is at all your concern, you need to turn off the Dr. Oz show. Seriously. Secondly, counting/logging calories along with moderate exercise has been the only way I can lose weight. Do what works for you. But I PROMISE no pill, gimmick, or quick fix Dr. Oz is selling this week will work. Eat less, move more. Long been the only "secret".
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Isn't it like that with any "diet" ?

Weight Watchers was successful for me for a year. Then I stopped and here I am 2 years later, with 1/2 the weight back on me.

I dont think it necessarily matters which way you are trying to lose weight as long as you dont lose the weight and then think OMG IM SKINNY! I CAN EAT EVERYTHING AGAIN!

It doesnt work like that ...
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    What a load of crap. Counting calories is the only means of losing weight and keeping it off. Things like paleo are just an indirect way of restricting your calorie intake by limiting yourself to mostly unappetizing, or at least very calorie-light, foods.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    droz.jpg

This. And the guy was trying to get people to go for paleo, of course he's going to discredit other methods.