Girls--do you wash your hair everyday after workouts?

Options

Replies

• Monty_P
    Monty_P Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every day, regardless of whether I work out or not. I have curly hair but I don't mind the frizz. I would feel so disgusting if I didn't wash it after exercise, I get so sweaty and my scalp gets so itchy. Ugh feel itchy thinking about it.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what I'm doing, if I'm just off to college I will stick some dry shampoo in or tie it up in a pony tail but say I'm seeing my boyfriend or going out with friends I will wash it. I normally washed my hair every 4ish days anyway so it's not causing too much of a big deal :)
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this help, but if you wash your hair everyday, its strips your natural oils out, and causes your sebaceaus glands to go in overdrive and it will end up causing your hair to be oilier. Try washing it every other day, or even every two days and just get a good dry shampoo. I use a dry shampoo from catwalk which works wonders and smells amazing.

If you are concerned with the sweat, just rinse your hair out with water, it works better than you might think. And using hair oil can help control frizz.

< hairstylist for 6 years, and I was my hair about once ot twice a week
  • dantonn9
    Options
    I wash every 3-4 days, depending on how oily it is feeling. I work out Mon-Sat. My hair is always super sweaty, but just flip it over, run my fingers through it, then flip it back and let it dry. No complaints here.
  • S3r3knitty
    S3r3knitty Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Washing it every third day regardless of whether I work out or not. If it starts to look oily I pull it pack into a pony tail. Less obvious then ;)
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    this sounds crazy, but it's worked for me... I wash 1/2 my hair!

I put it up and just wet the top part and around my face. Shampoo just a little there so I get volume in the front. Leave the rest alone.

I use a leave in conditioner ( oil ) every day.

Once a week I wash it all and deep-condition.

I started doing this years ago to save time in the morning... :)
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Ick! Doesn't your hair stink if you don't wash it? Or are your workouts not very intense?
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Nah. I'll wash my hair every other day or every 2 days. Normally during the scuzzier days I'll keep it in a bun and spray some nice smelling dry shampoo into it.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    wash it everyday. I don't generally use heating products (dryer, flat iron).

^ This
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this help, but if you wash your hair everyday, its strips your natural oils out, and causes your sebaceaus glands to go in overdrive and it will end up causing your hair to be oilier. Try washing it every other day, or even every two days and just get a good dry shampoo. I use a dry shampoo from catwalk which works wonders and smells amazing.

If you are concerned with the sweat, just rinse your hair out with water, it works better than you might think. And using hair oil can help control frizz.

< hairstylist for 6 years, and I was my hair about once ot twice a week

I totally agree with you - and my hair stylist agrees.

I've been washing my hair every 2 -3 days for about 5 years.

I USED to wash it everyday - and it was oily as can be.

Now that I wash it every 2 - 3 days - it's not nearly as oily.

You do wash away essential oils from your scalp - AND - I pay a LOT of $ for highlights and lowlights - I don't want them going down the drain.........!
  • kajpen
    kajpen Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am always coloring my hair (highlights, low lights, and sometimes all over single color), and when I do wash it I blow dry it and straight iron it... so I try to only wash it every 3 - 4 days. Dry shampoo has been a lifesaver for me! If my hair looks really bad then I will french braid it or put it in a ponytail.
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I wash and blow dry my hair Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The rest of the week, I use a spray on dry shampoo. Tuesday and Thursday is my strength training day, so I don't typically sweat as much. On those days, I typically wear my hair up for the office: low side braid, sock bun, or fancy pony tail.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Ick! Doesn't your hair stink if you don't wash it? Or are your workouts not very intense?

Just depends where you sweat, I guess. My face goes bright red and puffy, but nowhere near as sweaty as the small of my back or my arms (it runs down my arms, ick). Those bits get soap two or three times a day, so it's fine.

I only shampoo twice a week.
  • reimaka17
    reimaka17 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

I can't speak for everyone, but for me--nope, and I sweat plenty. I rinse it with water, co-wash every other day, and put a leave-in daily and it smells fab. My scalp also doesn't itch, in case you were wondering. I shampoo weekly and it's more than enough for my hair.

People have different hair types. What works for some just doesn't work for others. The end.
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Nope. I rinse my hair with just water a couple of times a week as needed. I have very tightly coiled kinky hair that tends to be very dry. I just can use anything with harsh cleansing ingredients more than once per week without suffering frizzy brittle dry hair. Really is all about your hair type.
  • maggie735337
    Options
    I have found a great solution to this. I'm a teen with acne, so I have to wash my hair everyday too or else I break out. Until a few months ago I just thought I would have to live with frizzy hair (better than zits), but then a new hair dresser suggested that I try a shampoo that is:

--sulfate-free.
    --No harsh salts.
    --No parabens

After using that type of shampoo for a few months, my hair so much silkier now, and I can wash it every day! In case you are wondering, I have been using "L'Oreal EverCurl Hydracharge" Shampoo and conditioner (in a blue bottle/tube). I don't think the brand matters though, just make sure that it doesn't have the 3 things listed above. I hope this helps! :)
  • maggie735337
    Options
    Also, you probably already know this, but only put the conditioner on the bottom half of your hair.
  • skyfall91
    Options
    nope. If its too sweaty then I dry it off then spray some dry shampoo on it and let that soak up. I wash my hair every 2 days. But really the only bit that gets sweaty is at the bottom of my hair at the top of my neck so its not too bad
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    You can use conditioner in your hair on days when you feel you need to wash it. But, do not use shampoo on those days. Or, just rinse your hair and put it up if it looks like it's not up to par.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I do not wash my hair everyday it will dry out. I use dry shampoo on the days I don't wet wash it. My favorite brand is Batiste.... every scent I've used I love and it rubs in easier than any I've used. I workout Every day except Sundays and wet wash my hair every other day.

Edit - just saw the question about hair stinking - no my hair doesn't stink. LOL. Most of the time we women over judge our own hair because we're judging all the women around us. If you really think about it - who will actually notice? Nobody. If they do they're paying way too much attention to you....