Spanking your kids yes or no?

Options

Replies

• Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Never EVER a reason to hit a child ... it's lazy parenting and abusive. Whether they survive or not is not the point.

We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today. ~Stacia Tauscher
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    In general, society has approved spanking for the last 50-100+ years and obviously society has turned out just fine.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I see "I never spank in anger" as a valid comment. After all, it's a measured response to the child's behaviour, rather than vindictively striking a child through frustration.

I agree as well! it's a good comment, but it shouldn't only apply to spanking. That should be used for everything , no? Its not better then yelling at your child angry, swearing, maybe putting them down, or making them feel ashamed of what they have done. We use that logic daily, if you're with someone, "don't go to bed angry", if your angry, "think before you speak"....etc.....
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I hate these threads:angry:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Never EVER a reason to hit a child ... it's lazy parenting and abusive. Whether they survive or not is not the point.

We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today. ~Stacia Tauscher

I like this a LOT. :flowerforyou:
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Just curious....why do people want "in before the lock"? Why not just say what you have to say? :ohwell:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Just curious....why do people want "in before the lock"? Why not just say what you have to say? :ohwell:

Because I am on my 2nd strike. And because I was spanked I don't want a violent 3rd. :laugh: :wink:
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options

Because I am on my 2nd strike. And because I was spanked I don't want a violent 3rd. :laugh: :wink:

Ohhh,...if you were spanked, then you are probably violent, be careful.
  • samiyan05
    samiyan05 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think the issue with today's youth is less an issue with spanking so much as it is the dynamic of the family household today. I'm sure I will upset a few folks with this but I believe that the reason so many of the children are so out of control these days is because women are forced to take a more active role is punishing the child. Women are meant to be the nurtures. Men the law. When women are forced to become the law the order of the household is off balance . If you notice a majority of the "no spanking" responses are from women. Of course they don't condone it. They are the nurturers. Not the disciplinarian. Women are forced to be yanked out of the household to work so less time for nurturing and men are either absent or forced to work long hours so less time for assumong the role of the head of the house. This can cause dysfunction. Agree with me or not that's been my observation.

I was spanked in anger and it was never consistent with the punishment. That being said. I have spanked my child. But never in anger and only needed to a couple times because she learned.
    My little brother is just a couple years older than my daughter and he gets spanked in anger and never consistently. He behaves like an angel at my house and a demon child at my parents.
    Spanking isn't meant to be an alternative to parenting and logic. I think that's where the wires get crossed.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

They don't have anything to say. They just want to act like they're involved in something, even if they're not.

Womp womp!

Now I'm totally IBL
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    It seems this should have been a conversation between you and your BF prior to having a baby.
  • Oldtimer_65
    Options
    Spanking is wrong. Period. When my kids are out of line, I hook them up to a car battery for a few seconds. Problem solved.
  • Beastmaster50
    Beastmaster50 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I save the spanking for adult women.....just trying to add some humor here :)
  • BlessedJourney29
    Options
    So the boyfriend and I got in an argument he thinks spanking has its place in raising children and I consider it a form a corporal punishment possibly abuse if the parents aren't in control with no real value teaches aggression, violence, and one study I read said there may be some relation to lower IQ. We were both spanked as children, and my Mom used to carry a wooden spoon I her purse to make us behave. What are your thoughts?

P.S.-if this is too much of a controversial subject you can lock it mods I was just curious.

You mentioned 1 study in your post above. That's just one. There was not a study of every single person who had been spanked or spaked their chiid so those studies are irrelevant. I was spanked. i will spank my son if need be. I honestly don't see any aggressiveness in him or any of those things you speak of. Actually, he's well more behaved than some of the kids who aren't spanked that we associate with. I do think that spanking is not for every child and that some children may not benefit from spankings as well as others. i was spanked as well as my sisters. we were never beaten. time outs did not work for me and i am glad that i got spanked. never been to jail. graduated college and im happy my mother loved me enough to spank my butt to keep me in line. i respect people and i dont have the anger and animosity in me that your "study" says.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    spanking is child abuse, pure and simple
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I'm not a spanker but was spanked as a child. With our kids more was accomplished by way of a reprimand by withholding a tv or electronics privilege. Or no friends over. I might be dating myself a little here, but when I was in grade school (in the 70's) corporal punishment was still allowed. Nothing more humiliating and painful then a public spanking, and that's exactly how it was done in our school. Once per week, mandatory school assembly, all the guilty were paraded to the stage and given their due. Ooouch.
  • BlessedJourney29
    Options

I like this a LOT. :flowerforyou:

I do not agree. I love my son with all of my heart. I live by the bible it encourages to not spare the rod. I do not agree with beating a child but a spank on the butt when out of line is not abuse and it's not lazy parenting. if it was abuse, dhs would arrest people who spanked their children. in fact, dhs says as long as there are no bruises, spanking is not abuse in the state I live in. Your opinion is your opinion, but please do not consider a parent lazy for spanking. I've tried those "time outs" take a way game time and it did not work. I spanked my son's butt for something he did over 3 months ago and he hasn't had another spanking yet. I spank him b/c i love him and I dont' want to see him hurt (he ran in the street and the word "No" didn't work) i think the lazy parents are the ones who do nothing when their children are acting out and their chidren curse them out and hit them. I've never seen that with a child who was spanked!!
  • BlessedJourney29
    Options
    in before this gets locked...

I see spanking as another tool in a parents toolbox to aid directing a child on a proper path.. never out of anger..

to be used in a progressive manner when "NO", "TIME OUT" and other verbal cues/lessons fail to get the attention and correct the behavior.. but again, never out of anger.

^ this right here. I do agree
This discussion has been closed.