Spanking your kids yes or no?

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
So the boyfriend and I got in an argument he thinks spanking has its place in raising children and I consider it a form a corporal punishment possibly abuse if the parents aren't in control with no real value teaches aggression, violence, and one study I read said there may be some relation to lower IQ. We were both spanked as children, and my Mom used to carry a wooden spoon I her purse to make us behave. What are your thoughts?

P.S.-if this is too much of a controversial subject you can lock it mods I was just curious.

Replies

• F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    P.S.-if this is too much of a controversial subject you can lock it mods I was just curious.

It is. I asked something similar once and people got nasty REEEAAAL quick.
  • RyanJK85
    RyanJK85 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    ETA: Ill sit this one out :explode:
  • adblanche
    Options
    Controlled studies have shown that spanking can be correlated with increased violent behavior in children as well as lack of emotional regulation. It also shows positive correlation with mental health issues and substance abuse in adults.

Time has a good run-down, but there are many more studies in sociology and psychology that show the same thing. A lot of this is because children don't often have the emotional maturity to understand that they are being hit not out of anger, but as a punishment, and thus perpetuate the behavior to others. This is obviously a suboptimal outcome.

Also, it's not proven that spanking is a more effective form of punishment grounding or time out or deprivation of privileges.

PS: Someone saying "I was spanked as a child and am fine" is not a logically sound counter to controlled or even observational studies. These account for people on average, but cannot explain every individual case. (But if you know something is bad on average, it's pretty blatantly irresponsible to take the chance.)

References:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/spanking-kids-linked-aggression-study-article-1.1493063
    http://healthland.time.com/2012/02/06/why-spanking-doesnt-work/#ixzz2tnuZfQdX
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Sometimes it's necessary to go that route, usually there's probably better options. Carrying around a wooden spoon is WAY too far.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    Nope. We abandoned that early in our child rearing, though both of us were spanked. We've been far better off without it.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I'll bite. I survived, and I think I turned out better because of the way I was disciplined. My father used his foot if I got out of line. I spank my kids if they need a wake up call, but they also get talked to so they understand the purpose. My kids are incredibly well behaved, they are great with other kids.

Contrast, My little sister and her husband have different ideas about discipline, the most they do with their son when he get's out of line is put on their non-confrontational tone and say no, don't do that. It doesn't get any more stern from there, and their kid is a mean little ****, who is constantly pushing buttons to see what he can get away with. They're setting that poor kid up for failure later in life.

Spanking is perfectly healthy so long as it serves a purpose and get's the message across.

Rigger
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    My parents spanked us depending on how angry they were. Crime never fit the punishment. We could be spanked for having feet on the coffee table but then not get spanked for tipping over the 100 gallon fish tank. I have blocked out most of my childhood and still have ill feelings to this day.
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653
    Options
    My parents never hit/spanked me and I turned out... Lol!!!

J/k I ended up fine but my mom has this disappointed look she gives us if we did something wrong and that's worse than any physical pain.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Definitely gonna get locked.

But I'll go ahead and give my opinion. I believe spanking is fine as long as the parent can control their temper.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I am not for spanking children I do not think it does anything positive

however what makes me wince is when people compare a small little spank on the butt in a misguided attempt of discipline to abuse ...It feels like a trivialization of what children/people who are horrifically abused go through to try to compare that to such trauma

not saying spanking cannot get out of hand crazy and become a level of abuse though
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I would say having a plank of wood broken over your head abuse.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I could see a quick swat if your little one tried to run out in traffic or put his life in risk somehow, but for coloring on the wall or just acting like a stubborn two year old that is where we draw the line.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I would say having a plank of wood broken over your head abuse.

But that is definitely not a spanking!
  • reimaka17
    reimaka17 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Definite no. I was spanked as a kid--with hands and a belt--and I hated it. I'd never inflict such a thing on my children. I think it's the epitome of hypocrisy that society claims to be anti-violence (read: claims) but where children are concerned it's A-OK as long as it's the parent doing it and they don't end up bloody and broken. Seriously, what kind of message is that? It's preposterous.

If resorting to violence is the only way you know how to discipline your child then you're just not doing it right. There are countless other things you could do that don't involve hitting an innocent child that are just as, if not more, effective.

Seriously, this just pisses me off. If I only I could hit everyone who did something I didn't like! Ugh.

ETA: I do think there is a difference between swatting and spanking. While it's not pleasant, I don't find swatting a child's bum softly abhorrent unless it's done out of anger (still, I don't see why it's exactly necessary). There's a huge difference between that and spanking, which is just a nicer way of saying 'slapping your child until their skin turns red and they cry 'cause it hurts so bad'. And don't even get me started on the mental/emotional ramifications of that.
  • redpaisleyrose
    Options
    So, ask yourself how did you turn out?? . Spanking a child when they need correction is a tool, you don't beat them. I vote with your boyfriend.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Only in extreme circumstances where only spanking will teach them. For example, if they don't eat their exercise calories, or if they do cardio prior to strength training, or if they go on low carb diets, or juice cleanses.
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I dont care what the "studies" say. Everyone knows it can be rigged one way or another depending on who is funding it. The lack of discipline in today's kids correlates with the lack of spanking. Nobody in my time will behave like the kids of today behave. Thank God my kids do not act this way. Yes, I spank if I have to, but she is 9 now and I cant even remember the last time I have to do it.
  • PghPensFan69
    PghPensFan69 Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    After mulling it over for a few minutes, I decided to get in on this before the lock.
  • icame2win60
    Options
    Spanking your girlfriend or boyfriend: yes.
    Spanking your children: no.
This discussion has been closed.