Signs You're A Gym Butt-Face/Crossfit Hate?

Options
13»

Replies

• Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    ETA: What DOES annoy me a little is when someone doesn't rack their weights, which happens an awful lot. Very few times have I gone into the weight room to an empty bar anywhere.

I so dislike that too. I have to keep myself from cleaning the whole thing up in a fit of pique, because it just annoys me. It's rude! I especially dislike it when they are really heavy weights on the bar I need. I mean, if I left the weights on, it would be a ten-pounder or something but some are leaving the 50s and such on, and they're awkward for me. Either way it's rude, just one is way more annoying to deal with for me ;)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I don't really care about all the things people do at the gym that wastes their time. I care when it wastes MY time (curling in the only squat rack on legs day comes to mind). However, people with poor form, making weird noises, or racing each other on the treadmill doesn't really bug me.

For the most part, watching the 70+ year old men in my gym do weird things just gives me something to do during my recovery time. This one guy (75+) always starts his workout by doing the knee-bounce-hip-shake thing with 5# DBs in each hand for 5 minutes. I swear one day I'm going to secretly video tape him...

I don't seem to have a huge problem with equipment hoggers at my gym. Last week some guy decided to use both of the 5# bumper weights (for the cable pull machine) as foot pegs and wouldn't give them up as I tried to explain their ACTUAL purpose to him and my need for one of them. That made me gym-rage a little.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Lol, I guess I should be more clear. The Nakedness bulletpoint, regarding that video, had more to do with male lockerrooms, and was geared towards those that walk around naked, shave, or whatever, still naked, put their feet up on the bench, basically just shoving their nakedness onto other men in the lockerroom. It's true, to shower and change you need to undress. The pet peeve is towards the more extreme cases, which, like what others have posted, is pretty traumatizing.

We have women who stand naked under the hand dryers making sure ALL their hair is dry, if you know what I mean.
  • patsully98
    patsully98 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add, I just like the phrase "Gym Butt-Face."
  • jlmuise25
    jlmuise25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the girls that go and flirt with every guy who has decent looking arms. THE GYM IS NOT FOR FLIRTING!!!!! I also can't stand how people give dirty looks to those who are a little bigger. Hey, they may be big now, but at least they are at the gym trying!

Oh and can someone PLEASE explain to me why guys focus so much on their upper body. It looks so weird to see these guys whose upper bodies look super awesome, then their legs look like chicken legs. LOL!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    WHAT ABOUT SNIFFING BICYCLE SEATS AFTER THE WOMEN GET OFF OF THEM?!?! HA HA HA HA ISN'T THAT GREAT???!?!!!???

Oh you guys don't do that?

Yeah, me either. I just heard that was awesome..from, uh, a friend or something.

I thought it was a common thing after spin class.

Ah, Space Corps Directive 196156.
  • maryann9wood
    maryann9wood Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Why did I take the elliptical next to you? Well, I come every day, and in the row of 6, I know that the TV doesn't work on 1 and 3. Maybe you know that too? But that's why I got on next to you. And you two men who talk to each other for 30 minutes - one on the machine and one standing on the floor - go to the juice bar for your girly conversation!
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    ETA: What DOES annoy me a little is when someone doesn't rack their weights, which happens an awful lot. Very few times have I gone into the weight room to an empty bar anywhere.

I so dislike that too. I have to keep myself from cleaning the whole thing up in a fit of pique, because it just annoys me. It's rude! I especially dislike it when they are really heavy weights on the bar I need. I mean, if I left the weights on, it would be a ten-pounder or something but some are leaving the 50s and such on, and they're awkward for me. Either way it's rude, just one is way more annoying to deal with for me ;)

Oh god, THIS.

There was this pair of guys who came in, loaded up the leg press with X amount of weights, did one set, crashed the press onto the holding bars, then left. I spent probably 10 minutes struggling to take off god knows how many 45lb weights. IT WASN'T ARM DAY :sad:

lol....yeah it sucks when people don't re-rack.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    hates
    People in the only two power racks doing non power exercises e.g. curls
    Fat, naked old men shaving in the sink, can you please use a towel? Afterwards, do you have to leave the sink a complete mess?
    Not putting up the weights, leaving them randomly laying around
    Messy pigs, if you do this at home, no wonder your wife divorced you
    What guys do do the bathroom, pray you don't ever have to use the stool, can you please not pee in the stool and if you do lift the seat up? Also you don't need the whole role of toilet paper and leave it in the stool and back it up
    Guys walking from the pool wet straight to their locker and leaving a wet mess everywhere, can you try to try off a little?
    Tying up the bench, the squat rack, etc, not lifting but talking of the phone for 20 minutes
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Nakedness in the locker room doesn't bother me. In fact I like it because I always leave feeling like I look kick *kitten* compared to a lot of the nakedness I've just seen.

Regarding crossfit, I don't do it but can see the attraction. In addition, we have had a lot of cross fitters move into our power lifting federation and many of them will kick *kitten* so it can't be all bad. Kip on if that's what blows your skirts up.
  • penash
    penash Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Now, if you're naked for a long time with one foot up on the bench, drying your pubes with a hairdryer (which I have seen), then yeah, that's a big negatory. But that's not "being naked in the locker room." That's "being naked and horrible in the locker room."

This. And worse than drying the jewels under the hand dryer was the awesome owner of a local parts store who discovered the value of crack drying. Grab a handful and spread is an image that I never never never need to witness again :mad:

I have the female equivalent example:

How about the woman I saw, buck naked with one foot up on the bench using the hair dryer to dry her pubes? I just let my hair air dry now.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd revive this to see if anyone had any other horror stories/gym pet peeves they'd like to share.

From the few posts I've seen it seems like there's an elitist view of some groups of Crossfitters. Has anyone had a bad experience at their gym with said crossfitter?