The Big Bad Gym Bully!

Options

Replies

• ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    FACT - Staring down and barking at 115 pound 50 year old ladies doesn't make you a bad *kitten*. Just the opposite, really.

I'm going to put that wallet back in the bag, because it's obviously not yours. You know which wallet

When the so-called "Meat heads", "Bros" & "Soccer moms" all know the rules and follow them. Why should anyone get a pass. So you're saying only people who are a certain height & weight have to follow the rules?
    Depending on their breast size, I let them break all the rules!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    FACT - Staring down and barking at 115 pound 50 year old ladies doesn't make you a bad *kitten*. Just the opposite, really.

I'm going to put that wallet back in the bag, because it's obviously not yours. You know which wallet

When the so-called "Meat heads", "Bros" & "Soccer moms" all know the rules and follow them. Why should anyone get a pass. So you're saying only people who are a certain height & weight have to follow the rules?

I'm saying you don't have to resort to intimidation to get someone to follow the rules. The fact that you made a point to note how tiny and old this woman was tells me most of what I need to know.

Wake me up when this thread begins "So this guy was 6'3", 240 pounds, and his two lifting buddies were even bigger, and then I stared at him and yelled "RACK EM".... I think we know how that story ends tho.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I'm saying you don't have to resort to intimidation to get someone to follow the rules. The fact that you made a point to note how tiny and old this woman was tells me most of what I need to know.

Wake me up when this thread begins "So this guy was 6'3", 240 pounds, and his two lifting buddies were even bigger, and then I stared at him and yelled "RACK EM".... I think we know how that story ends tho.

Totally agree. I love the irony of a bloke whining on and on about how this woman doesn't understand how to be polite in a gym, so he sorts it being being incredibly rude to her.
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    IMO You were both in the wrong. Yes she should have reracked. You have no authority to tell her what to do. You should have requested it not demanded it. Try to act more civilized and maybe more people will learn proper gym etiquette.

PS. stop scaring away the cardio bunnies ....jk
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

There was clearly no need to yell at her loud enough so that everyone in the gym turned around and looked at her. It was plain rude. You could have told her in a nice way. Yes, she should have re-racked the weights but you shouldn't have screamed at her to do it.

As everyone else has said, come back when you've told a guy who's 6'3 and 240 pounds to 'RACK 'EM'. My guess is that ain't happening.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

^^ This thread is fun here because it lets out a common frustration, but he's right. Honestly, I've never raised my voice in the gym except once and it was to a massive dude who was chewing me out for taking his bench after he left it for at least 15 minutes. Nothing like a little ego to put the ol' face at risk. In the end, he was kicked out of the gym, not because I reported it (I didn't), but because he did the same thing to a 60 something year old woman and several of the other guys reported him. The point is yea, ha ha, you yelled at the person who didn't rerack her weights, but it wasn't exactly the best move, and you don't want a reputation as a hot head.

But no, I still don't feel sorry for her.
  • AnotherXFitGuy
    AnotherXFitGuy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    As much as I can't stand someone not picking up after themselves, Bullying a 120 lb woman is just wrong. There may have been a different outcome too when you left the gym.

"Mr. 250 lb Bully, meet husband with Mr. 2 X 4."
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Re-racking your plates at my gym is the RULE...which not all people follow. So, you were the Enforcer, not a bully.

The worst is when people (mostly men) leave 45lb plates on things. I had to de-load the squat machine once. It was pretty terrible. What made it worse was that some young guy was watching me struggle with this...and just smiling!!! I think he thought it was "cute" that I was pulling off all of these huge plates. He could have offered to help...but in all fairness, I probably would have been *****y to him.
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My gym mostly has equipment with the sliding pin into weights so no racking required. It is not really a free weight gym with only a Smith Machine which I abhor. I have a cage and Olympic set in my garage for that. But the machines are decent and allows fast and just wipe away when your done.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    So yelling "RACK 'EM" loud enough for the whole gym to hear is the nicest way you could think to ask someone to rack their weights when they're done? Your lack of social skills makes you look like a bully.

And I'll preface this by saying that I always re-rack my weights, but I think it's funny that people complain about having to lift a couple extra weights at the gym. I mean, you're at the gym to lift weights right? It's the same with parking, people will drive around or wait 10 minutes to find a parking spot that's 10 feet closer to the one they just passed, and then they go into the gym and walk on the treadmill for 3 miles.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Re-racking your plates at my gym is the RULE...which not all people follow. So, you were the Enforcer, not a bully.

The worst is when people (mostly men) leave 45lb plates on things. I had to de-load the squat machine once. It was pretty terrible. What made it worse was that some young guy was watching me struggle with this...and just smiling!!! I think he thought it was "cute" that I was pulling off all of these huge plates. He could have offered to help...but in all fairness, I probably would have been *****y to him.

There was another "enforcer" on /r/fitness a month or two ago who was looking at criminal charges being brought against him because someone didn't rack their weights and he "enforced" the gym policy. Verbally intimidating someone is one step removed from starting a physical altercation, but both are overreactions to someone not racking their weights. To each his own, but I see no reason to try and intimidate someone into racking their weights when a bit of common courtesy could have achieved the same result. I really don't understand being proud about barking at a small woman who just started at the gym in January, and I understand the people applauding this behavior even less.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    right when she took her 1st steps away from the machine I said “RACK’EM” (loud enough for everyone to turn around and look) while pointing at the machine....
    apparently she’s told him that I’m the gym bully.
    Really the gym bully?

That's a pretty bullying way to talk to someone who's not your child or employee. You can't correct bad etiquette with bad etiquette. Now she doesn't respect you or your message, so it wasn't very effective. You'll get a better outcome in these situations by just speaking respectfully & calmly. We all make mistakes and do things that someone else doesn't like, so there's no point getting emotional about a minor issue like a tiny dumbbell in your way. Now you've caused another Planet Fitness gym to open, LOL. :bigsmile:
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options

There was another "enforcer" on /r/fitness a month or two ago who was looking at criminal charges being brought against him because someone didn't rack their weights and he "enforced" the gym policy. Verbally intimidating someone is one step removed from starting a physical altercation, but both are overreactions to someone not racking their weights. To each his own, but I see no reason to try and intimidate someone into racking their weights when a bit of common courtesy could have achieved the same result. I really don't understand being proud about barking at a small woman who just started at the gym in January, and I understand the people applauding this behavior even less.

See here's my issue with the situation...as someone who is 5 feet tall and a 120 lbs...having someone else leave massive amounts of 45lb plates on machines makes it nearly impossible for me to workout. I completely understand how frustrating it is to have to clean-up someone else's mess.

Everyone needs to re-rack their plates; it's the rule AND common courtesy. It is posted AT LEAST half a dozen places when you first walk into my gym...but it still doesn't always happen.

Saying something to someone is not even close to a physical altercation. The OP told the woman to re-rack her plates. BFD. She should have just done it and moved on with her life. She didn't feel "intimidated," it is more likely that she felt embarrassed for being called-out for doing the wrong thing.

I agree...that he didn't have to be super harsh, BUT how much do you want to bet that this lady re-racks her plates now.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

See here's my issue with the situation...as someone who is 5 feet tall and a 120 lbs...having someone else leave massive amounts of 45lb plates on machines makes it nearly impossible for me to workout. I completely understand how frustrating it is to have to clean-up someone else's mess.

Everyone needs to re-rack their plates; it's the rule AND common courtesy. It is posted AT LEAST half a dozen places when you first walk into my gym...but it still doesn't always happen.

Saying something to someone is not even close to a physical altercation. The OP told the woman to re-rack her plates. BFD. She should have just done it and moved on with her life. She didn't feel "intimidated," it is more likely that she felt embarrassed for being called-out for doing the wrong thing.

I agree...that he didn't have to be super harsh, BUT how much do you want to bet that this lady re-racks her plates now.

The OP told her to RACK EM in a LOUD voice which caused the people in the gym to turn and stare at her. There was no need to embarrass her. He could have done it in a polite manner by oh, say walking over to her and saying "Excuse me but the gym policy is that you rack your weights when you're done with the machine". No need to be rude about it.

There are plenty of times I have to un-rack equipment and haul a few 45 lb plates off of it. Is it a PITA? Sure but I'm not going to scream at someone who doesn't take the weights off.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

There was clearly no need to yell at her loud enough so that everyone in the gym turned around and looked at her. It was plain rude. You could have told her in a nice way. Yes, she should have re-racked the weights but you shouldn't have screamed at her to do it.

As everyone else has said, come back when you've told a guy who's 6'3 and 240 pounds to 'RACK 'EM'. My guess is that ain't happening.

Why wouldn't that happen again?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I find it comical there are threads on this site every day about newbies that lack self confidence being afraid to go to the gym and people rush to assure them that it's a great idea and no one will bother them. Now we have a thread where someone is loudly barking at a gym newbie to rack her 2.5 and 5 lb weights and being applauded for being an "enforcer" of the weight room. I'm with you on people should rack their own weights, but there's a right way to instruct someone about proper gym etiquette.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I find it comical there are threads on this site every day about newbies that lack self confidence being afraid to go to the gym and people rush to assure them that it's a great idea and no one will bother them. Now we have a thread where someone is loudly barking at a gym newbie to rack her 2.5 and 5 lb weights and being applauded for being an "enforcer" of the weight room. I'm with you on people should rack their own weights, but there's a right way to instruct someone about proper gym etiquette.

I'm with you, but what does being a "newbie" have to do with knowing enough to pickup after yourself?
  • Fit4Nature
    Options
    LOL
  • Clash1001
    Clash1001 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree - whilst I would have thought racking weights would be common sense for most people, it obviously hadn't occurred to her. It probably doesn't mean she's the spawn of satan.

To be honest, when I first started at the gym, I'm sure I made loads of faux pas...if someone had shouted 'rack'em' at me I probably wouldn't even know what they meant, in my first few sessions. I was terrified of everyone at the gym for the first few months, convinced everyone was looking at me and judging and I would have been mortified if someone had shouted at me in front of the whole gym floor.

Yes, it is rude and inconsiderate not to re-rack your weights and I get massively frustrated when someone who can lift six times what I can doesn't rack up, but there's ways and means of talking to someone.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    As much as I can't stand someone not picking up after themselves, Bullying a 120 lb woman is just wrong.

I'm 5'1" and over 50 and I would *hate* being yelled at by someone half my age and three times my size. But if I'm leaving my crap around the gym for other people to pick up, I'm doing the wrong thing and someone should call me on it.

If I want to be treated equally in the gym, then I have to suck it up and take it when I'm treated equally in the gym, you know? I shouldn't get a pass just because I'm a girl.