How can I speed up my weight loss without exercise?

Options

Replies

• OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    amputation

ETA: nevermind, you said least painful way possible, so I guess this solution is out. Here's another thought, though (and it's gonna sound harsh, but seems like you need a reality check). Pull up your big girl pants, stop whining, and get yourself some exercise. Yes, you can lose all your weight without it, but you won't have the body you want. And exercise doesn't have to be "painful", it can be quite rewarding in more ways than just weight loss.

I second this, I have lost a lot of weight so far as well as one of my friends she did it soley through extreme dieting and I did mine through proper diet and exercise. Yes we both have some loose skin because 100+ lbs is a lot to lose but my body is much more fit and tone than hers. I can pull off form fitting clothes to where she has to wear a body stocking to hold all of her loose skin in. So my vote is please include exercise into your process. You won't regret it!
  • Kouch_ka
    Kouch_ka Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself. It's laziness. When you finally have the realization that you want to really WANT to lose that extra weight, you will know that with diet you SHOULD be exercising. You have to have the drive.

I was in your spot before. Thinking that dieting would do the trick. Eating less of the food that I love but not really changing what I eat.
    Then I started seeing a wight loss coach who helped me realize that proper diet and exercise are the key to losing weight. But, there is also a third thing. Your mindset. He helped me changed my outlook on food and how I consume it.

I have lost almost 60lbs in under 6 months working with him. I feel excellent.
    I know how to take care of my body now.
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    Crystal Meth. I think they sell it at wal-mart.

actually you can find it cheaper on amazon.com

LMAO
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It's all about small changes. Look at all those people that lost tons and gained it back. They didn't really change how they delt with food in thier life. For me losing the weight was easier. Maintaining is hard, but worth it!!

You've already started changing some of your habits with speghetti, oatmeal, and all. Find the books "eat this not that". They have a lot of life style changes that are manageable without feeling deprived. Start looking at labels. Discover what a portion size is and start measuring your portions out. Later move up to a digital scale for more accuracy.
  • mcrane4
    mcrane4 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Your lazy

You might lose a few more pounds, but you'll go back to your old ways.

Come back in a few months and prove me wrong
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    You are lazy to exercise, want it to be less painful, do not want to put in effort, BUT, you are desperate to lose weight? These things do not get along well!
    OP, start with small steps, like walking 30 minutes a day eating the same food, you will find a difference!
  • guamlite
    guamlite Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think everyone on this subject has given you some good advice.

Sounds like you want your cake and eat it too !

Think about it, life isn't like that, you have to actually work at what you want in life.
    Apply that to weight lose.

You can do it, just keep thinking of the 8 lbs you have already lost, and how many pounds you will lose if you keep on going.

Copied this from Facebook, which is meant for all of us: When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful !!

Take Care
  • tracywintn
    Options
    You are doing great by losing 9 lbs since the first of the year. Keep with that and if you slow down then re-evaluate your food or revisit the exercise issue. There is no "fast" way to lose without exercise and change in diet....or if there is I surely don't know it or I would have been doing it myself:)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    You lost 8 pounds in 4 weeks, is that accurate? Congratulations! That's right on track with where you should be, already.

^^^^This!!!!! I would have loved to avg. 2lbs a week, instead it was more like 5lbs a month. Keep doing what you're doing to get back to us when you have a real problem.
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    8 or 9 pounds lost is great, are you kidding? keep doing what you are doing. As for exercise, what is it about it you do not like? sweating, jumping? try yoga, or the easiest, try walking more, increasing the distance a little each time you go. If you like swimming it is a good exercise or biking, you can go places:). But most of all, a good amount of discipline is needed. Once you get into exercising you will like it, you just need to start somewhere.
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Start going for walks. I think when people hear exercise, they picture themselves sweating and panting on a treadmill, about to pass out. It doesn't have to be like that.
    When I was younger, I hated exercise. I LOVE going to the gym now.
    On the weekends, I don't usually go to the gym because I don't have the time between spending time with friends, catching up on TV shows and snuggling with my boyfriend haha. But I like to go on walks, just so I'm getting a little exercise. I call my mom on the phone, because I know she can talk for at least a half hour, if not an hour, and I just stroll around my neighborhood.
    Maybe start by adding in a small amount of exercise, and you might grow to enjoy it. Especially if you start seeing more results in your body, not just on your scale.

Also, congrats on the weight loss already! If you add in something small, even like walking 3x a week, you might see a little bit more results.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    It's a slow process, I wouldn't recommend any drastic changes. You're on the right track by decreasing your serving sizes and adding healthy foods/water. Just keep doing that, and play around with your diet. If a certain snack/meal helps you feel fuller longer, make a mental note. Eventually you'll have a good handle on your diet so you'll be eating the right amount of calories while not being hungry all the time. Also, if you don't like exercise, then don't do it... yet. Just limit your sitting, try walking around while doing things like talking on the phone and whatnot.

I would also recommend research. Keep your eyes open for activities you'd enjoy. After you discover all the benefits of eating better and being more active, just in general feeling better, the idea of going for a walk or hopping on a machine won't seem so horrible. Keep in mind, once you start working out you'll grow to like it a bit. I say this from experience, as a former self-proclaimed exercise hater.

PS - Congrats on starting! That's a good chunk of the battle, honestly. And 8 lbs in a month is great! Don't worry about 2-3 lb fluctuations, that's water weight.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i'm not trying to be mean so please don't take this the wrong way but....
    you are setting yourself up to fail, 50+ lbs in 6 months when you are unwilling to exercise, and you want ideas to make it go faster is just not do-able, even if you managed to get over half way the last 10-15lbs will take longer to come off than the rest
    you've got two choices, eat the foods you love (in moderation) and exercise, or eat less food not so much of the foods you love and sit on your butt, nobody is suggesting you go out immediately and join a gym, or buy exercise equipment, but there must be something that you don't mind doing

it's taken me over 3 years to get where i am, and the majority of the exercise i have done is just walking, i don't live for the gym nor do i ever eat salad's
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    "I'll admit it, I'm lazy. I desperately want to lose weight "

Here's the thing...if you were so desperate to lose weight, you would exercise and eat a healthy, balanced diet. Period. No pills, no magic unicorns, no shortcuts that only end in failure. IMHO, this statement tells me all I need to know. Unless you are physically disabled and CANNOT exercise, you need to figure out how to get your "lazy" behind off the couch. Otherwise, your best bet is to learn to be at peace with being overweight.
  • scooterjen
    scooterjen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had to push myself to exercise too but I choose things I enjoy (ie walking outdoors) and things I can fit into my day. I went on youtube and there are all kinds of shorter workouts you can manage until you build up tolerance. Just start! Even 10 minutes a day will help. My problem in the past has been an all-or-nothing attitude..doing to much too soon. Babysteps.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Depends how legal you need the method to be, frankly. Someone who doesn't want to exercise obviously shouldn't be dabbling in things which might harm them though.

If you are desperate (and want a diet-only change) you can cycle in and out of PSMFs but I doubt there is any good reason for you to do that.
  • lavender_fairie
    lavender_fairie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp!!

1. There is a stickied post called "expectations" that talks about the various speeds of weight loss u r likey to encounter on your journey here. I recommend reading it- I think it's linked under "posts you will want to read again and again" or something like that. I really like that stickie- it helps to see where you have Been and are going.

2. Related to that, ^^^ you will see exactly why it takes so long to lose fat. The good news is you can adjust your expectations. When I fist started, I just logged- that was such an eye opener. Then as the weight started coming off more, I got excited. Then it slowed down and I was a little down hearted. But I knew (bc of that stickie) where I was, where I had been, and where I was headed to.

3. Yes, u absolutely CAN lose weight without exercising. You are not the only one who hates exercising!! Lol I've lost a bunch of weight and did very little exercising. I do chase kids tho. Try to get in some work everyday but don't feel u must exercise. Every little change is one more step towards healthy weight.

4. Don't think and worry about plateaus- if u have your foods on lockdown, patience will win out! No reason worrying about something that might not ever happen. There r ppl on here who never plateaued on their journey.

5. One thing that helps with hunger is eating more bulk. My family loves spaghetti night but I don't care for it. I'd rather "spend" my calories on different food so while they hit my spaghetti/meatballs I made them, I snarf down a ton of green beans, a huge salad, a slice of buttery French bread, and a lemon pepper baked chicken breast or two. Then I have room for a square or two of chocolate- bc I skipped out on spaghetti, which I don't care for anyway. The point is, find the foods you adore, make them work for you and cut corners where u can on cals. It's a beautiful system. If I had to just "eat less" of the food I make I would be paying attention to all I'm "missing" instead of paying attention to all the food I'm "getting."

6. Don't think of allll the weight you have to lose. Just think of the next pound. Tats how skyscrapers, pyramids, and fabulous bodies r made- one step at a time. If we look at a daunting task without breaking it down, we might never start. It's defeatist thinking to look at things that way.

These ^^^ r a few tips that have saved me. Read all the stickies, stay on the forums, and try to practice patience. You don't have to lose all your weight before you start to feel more in control of your life and body. There isn't a magic number where things will get easier- they get easier incrementally as you go, so you get to enjoy all your victories on the way! Those victories will keep your patience from running out! When I first started, I thought I might be here 3 months (which seemed a very long time) and maybe lose a little weight, but now I've been here almost 6 months, and I've lost even more weight. The months r going to go by anyway so just enjoy the journey to a healthier you and try to broaden your horizon. The world is your oyster- it just takes patience and a willingness to learn and try some new things.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You can starve yourself on small portions of not so healthy food, or take illegal drugs or whatever. The question is, why? With no lifestyle changes, a few months after this period of starving, getting pills etc is over, you will be back to where you started, if not worse. If replacing junk food for healthier options etc is a chore and something you expect to do for a while and then get back to your old ways, it is just pointless.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds bad of me but I really hate exercising.. I'll admit it, I'm lazy. I desperately want to lose weight so I signed up with MFP last month and started my diet on Jan. 24th. Since then I have lost 8.6 pounds by eating the same foods as always, just less of it. I have made a few changes to my diet though, like oatmeal, fruit, more water, and whole wheat spaghetti instead of regular. I'm ashamed of how big I've gotten and trust me, I do want to lose weight, but I want to do it in the least painful way possible. Is there any way I can speed up my weight loss without adding exercise or drastically changing everything I eat?? I know to some this may sound silly but for me I feel like the speed I'm currently at is just not fast enough. At this rate it will take me half a year to get to my goal and that's IF I don't plateau completely (I'm nearly certain I will at some point). My weight has already been fluctuating up and down two pounds and thoroughly confusing the heck out of me. On another note I'd like to add that lately I do feel full faster than I used to but at the same time I get hungry pretty fast too. Ever since I started this diet I feel so hungry and there are times I want to just binge but I deal with it, it's just so hard when you feel so hungry at night and it's hard to sleep because of it. I'm starting to ramble now so I will end this post. If anyone can give me advice on what to do I would truly appreciate it!

Congrats on your weight loss. Exercise is not necessary for weight loss but it is for fitness and get your body looking the way you want it. The 10,000 step challenge is rather painless and doesn't even feel like exercising. Simply wear a pedometer and aim for 10,000 steps each day. Increase your NEAT. All activity burns calories so something as simple as doing a bit of extra housework can help. There's a lot of online sources for calculating how many calories burned doing your favourite activity. If you sit watching tv you burn 0 calories but if you do the same while knitting you bur 26 calories per hour. It's not much but it is 26 calories burned your wouldn't have otherwise. Go shopping. It burns calories nicely and you don't necessarily have to buy anything. Give your house a good cleaning or do a bit of painting or organizing - all burn calories. The more active you become with your NEAT the better.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I don't expect sympathy from anyone and I admitted to one of my flaws outright. I make no pretenses about myself, I know I'm not doing what is right by adding exercise and changing everything I eat. I am only asking for advice on small changes that may help me speed up the process. If I wanted to change everything I eat and exercise all the time I would but I've been down that road before.. I felt better in body but I was still miserable because everything tasted bland and I felt like eating those foods was only a chore. I don't want to go back down that road again.

I have not yet read anyone telling you to change everything you eat or exercise 'all' the time...... you can still eat foods you love, just eat less of it. You don't have to exercise all the time, just move more!

You've lost 8lbs in 4 weeks - 2lbs a week is excellent. Losing too much too quickly is often not sustainable! You'll gain it back. Slow and steady my friend - be patient.

You said you "desperately" want to lose weight - your words. If that is truly the case, then get up and get moving. Stop with the excuses and the whining, get your big girl britches on and do something about it. We can not hold your hand - only give you advice. There is no magic pill or mystery diet.... its all about a deficit.

Eat less + move more = weight loss