The Big Bad Gym Bully!

Options

Replies

• feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    .... I'd also buy one that said RACK across my chest, and YOUR WEIGHTS beneath, bolder and brighter. OMG make these!!!!!!!

THIS is your women's one. I want...

SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE THIS T-SHIRT ON CAFEPRESS OR SOMETHING, AHHH! I needs.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I find it comical there are threads on this site every day about newbies that lack self confidence being afraid to go to the gym and people rush to assure them that it's a great idea and no one will bother them. Now we have a thread where someone is loudly barking at a gym newbie to rack her 2.5 and 5 lb weights and being applauded for being an "enforcer" of the weight room. I'm with you on people should rack their own weights, but there's a right way to instruct someone about proper gym etiquette.

Yes!!!

Really there are two issues here. Should people clean up after themselves? Absolutely! Is it Ok to get annoyed if they don't? sure.
    Is it cool to loudly spurt out commands to a stranger and then stare her down while she does what you told her to do, then brag about to all your mfp friends?

Personally, I don't do that. When I used to go to the gym regularly I often re-racked 50 lb plates or higher, after someone didn't clean up after themselves and I never felt resentful about it. I just thought of it as a little extra work to add to my work out. I get that you are sick and tired of this situation, but I kind of agree that it sounds a bit like the b word when you don't use manners. (I even can imagine that the "thank you" was not said in the spirit of kindness)
  • allikat399
    allikat399 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ugh, racking is one of my pet peeves too. I don't mind so much when they're little weights, but when you've got the really heavy weights, or there are 3+ plates on each end of the bar.... Obnoxious because that's multiple trips back and forth. Way to go Gym Bully, I'd do it too if I weren't slightly afraid of the big muscles that leave those heavy weights behind...
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    just another full of herself gym bish. I'd give her dirty looks & she'd be afraid of me......
  • LauraCarlson86
    Options
    haha i'd buy a RACK'EM shirt!
  • notyouraveragetalia
    Options
    Bully: noun
    bully; plural noun: bullies

a person who uses strength or power to harm or intimidate those who are weaker
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I find it comical there are threads on this site every day about newbies that lack self confidence being afraid to go to the gym and people rush to assure them that it's a great idea and no one will bother them. Now we have a thread where someone is loudly barking at a gym newbie to rack her 2.5 and 5 lb weights and being applauded for being an "enforcer" of the weight room. I'm with you on people should rack their own weights, but there's a right way to instruct someone about proper gym etiquette.

I'm with you, but what does being a "newbie" have to do with knowing enough to pickup after yourself?

Because not all newbies are up to speed on proper gym etiquette. Most are clueless. Moreover, people not racking their weights is so common that after having to unload other people's weights over and over, it's possible she thought this was standard gym procedure. I'm not saying that excuses the behavior, but it's certainly possible she was just ignorant as to proper gym etiquette having only joined in January and I don't see a need to bark at someone for being an ignorant newbie (and I don't mean that in an insulting way). I guess in short, I'd give a newbie the benefit of the doubt that she just didn't know any better versus she was intentionally being an *kitten*.
  • Mrs_K_Ldtke
    Options
    I want you in my gym. I had to put away 6 45 lb weights because I can only bench press the bar.

Thinking about making a shirt with "RACK'EM" on the front and back. Maybe I should embrace this whole bully thing LOL
    PLEASE DO THIS!!! Your first customer (raises hand) :happy:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I'm with you, but what does being a "newbie" have to do with knowing enough to pickup after yourself?

Because not all newbies are up to speed on proper gym etiquette. Most are clueless. Moreover, people not racking their weights is so common that after having to unload other people's weights over and over, it's possible she thought this was standard gym procedure. I'm not saying that excuses the behavior, but it's certainly possible she was just ignorant as to proper gym etiquette having only joined in January and I don't see a need to bark at someone for being an ignorant newbie (and I don't mean that in an insulting way). I guess in short, I'd give a newbie the benefit of the doubt that she just didn't know any better versus she was intentionally being an *kitten*.

We learn how to "put your toys away" in preschool. It's not just proper gym etiquette, it's proper life etiquette.

Show me a gym that doesn't have something on the wall about rules for the facility that doesn't include re-racking weights, or even separate wall literature about re-racking, and you most likely have shown me the first one.
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bully: noun
    bully; plural noun: bullies

a person who uses strength or power to harm or intimidate those who are weaker
    This.

The way you describe what you did, honestly, made me uncomfortable. I probably would have complained about you, as well. Or lectured you. Or flipped you off. It's hard to tell.
    Yes, she should racked her weights. Everyone should. You have witnessed her doing this multiple times. Have you ever said anything to her before? She's new to the gym. She might not have thought of it. You should have probably said something to her one of the first few times you noticed, in a really calm and not intimidating voice. Reminded her that this is gym etiquette and you're always supposed to do it. The fact that you DEMANDED this of a woman, then stared at her the entire time she did it is extremely demeaning. Perhaps you've never thought of the gender dynamic, but it's kind of just reminding a woman that she doesn't belong and that you, as a man, are stronger and more powerful, with the right to demand things of her.
  • parkscs
    Options
    We learn how to "put your toys away" in preschool. It's not just proper gym etiquette, it's proper life etiquette.
    I'm with you. For some reason it strikes me as worse to be barking at a small girl who's new to the gym than to tell someone who's been lifting for a year to rack his weights - but either way, putting things back where you got them is common courtesy.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Today I was called into the managers office of my gym. The manager explained to me that, I wasn’t in trouble but that he did received a complaint about me from one of the other members. I knew exactly who and what it was all about.

The day before, I was working out and saw “Mini Ipad” (that’s what I call her because I don’t know her name and she brings her mini ipad with her). Facts about “Mini Ipad”: 43+ years old, 5’6 around 120 LBS, She joined gym sometime in early January. She totes around her water bottle, towel,keys cell phone & of course her mini Ipad from machine to machine.

Back to the story… The day in question she was on the chest press machine and had 2 (5lb) and 1 (2.5) weight on each side. But she had them “sandwich style” with the 2.5 in between the 5LB plates. Anyways she was done with the machine and gathering up her stuff. I was going to use the machine next and there was no way in hell I was gonna rack her weights again (she does this all the time!).

So, right when she took her 1st steps away from the machine I said “RACK’EM” (loud enough for everyone to turn around and look) while pointing at the machine. She looked back at me, I kept directly eye contact with her until she racked her weights, I even said thank you.

This is exactly what happened and exactly what I told the manager he laughed about it but, apparently she’s told him that I’m the gym bully.

Really the gym bully?

I think you're awesome! Nice weight loss btw! Awesome progress.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    What if she was getting off the equipment and going to grab the spray so she could wipe down the machine and was then going to un-rack the weights? I do that a lot. I'll walk away for a second to go get something to wipe the equipment down with and then I'll un-rack it. Why? Because I don't want someone seeing the machine empty and assuming I'm done with it and then laying down on my nasty bench (that would probably cause the OP to scream 'WIPE IT!' at me :laugh: ).

If someone screamed at me to RACK EM while I was on my way to get a rag I'd shrug, un-rack it and say "I guess you don't mind laying down on a sweaty bench then? Cool." And walk away.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    So, right when she took her 1st steps away from the machine I said “RACK’EM” (loud enough for everyone to turn around and look) while pointing at the machine. She looked back at me, I kept directly eye contact with her until she racked her weights, I even said thank you.

This is exactly what happened and exactly what I told the manager he laughed about it but, apparently she’s told him that I’m the gym bully

Did you tell the gym manager that you screamed at her and everyone in the gym looked and then you stared her down while pointing or did you simply say "Well sir, all I did was tell her to rack 'em.":huh:
  • notyouraveragetalia
    Options

Show me a gym that doesn't have something on the wall about rules for the facility that doesn't include re-racking weights, or even separate wall literature about re-racking, and you most likely have shown me the first one.

People do stupid, face-palming ridiculous things every day. Yes, she should absolutely know better. Every day you make a personal choice as to how you will react to these frustrating inconveniences.

In my opinion, yelling RACK EM' is a face-palming reaction to a petty inconvenience.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think we as a society put up with rude behavior so much we end up giving the impression it's ok. You do not give that impression :wink:
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

If it's anything like my gym 80% of the people don't rack their weights, there were probably weights on the bar when she got there. Not saying it's okay but when other people don't lead by example it's tough for newbies to catch on.
  • parkscs
    Options
    And it's worth pointing out that a similar situation popped up another forum recently in which another "enforcer" demanded another guy at the gym rack his weights. The difference is in that situation, the offender (another guy) told him to piss off and it escalated with the "enforcer" running him down and shoving said offender as he was leaving the gym. Mr. enforcer got booted from the gym and last I heard was trying to avoid criminal assault charges that would be with him for life, all because he wanted to enforce gym etiquette. Now it's easier to avoid this situation when you bark at little girls who are new to the gym, but I really don't think this is a healthy attitude and certainly isn't one to be applauded.

If you own the gym or if you're staff, you can ask your customers to rack their weights or leave. If you are just another customer, mind your own business (just my $0.02).
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I want you in my gym. I had to put away 6 45 lb weights because I can only bench press the bar.

Thinking about making a shirt with "RACK'EM" on the front and back. Maybe I should embrace this whole bully thing LOL

I'd wear that!

Would be brilliant to point your t shirt out to someone in the gym, however as a girl I'm not sure that would be an appropriate phrase for the front!!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

^^parkscs, this is one of those rare occasions that I actually agree with you. Both sides could have behaved differently, and this isn't very supportive of newbies in the gym.

OP, I regularly have to remove weights from the bars, and I always rack mine when I'm done. It may be because I'm new (2 months in to lifting), but it has never bothered me. On a couple of occasions, I've had big guys leave 45 lb. plates on the bar and when they saw me coming, they ran over to get remove them for me. I CAN lift 45 lb. plates, but it's nice when they realize that they should "clean up their mess." I really don't think that people who leave the plates on are intentionally being jerks; they're just thinking of their next exercise, or that they're finished with that exercise.

She may be oblivious to the signage, because she's new and learning to lift. It doesn't make her right, but it's better to give people the benefit of the doubt, instead of assuming they're intentionally being rude.