The Big Bad Gym Bully!

Options

Replies

• lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'd be mortified, and would dread going back. How about saying it nicely?
    You can't assume everyone is fluent in gym etiquette even if seems obvious.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    TOO funny! I believe there is such a thing called gym etiquette, if you can't get with it, get lost in my opinion!

That's not the point. The point is that he screamed at her which caused everyone in the gym to turn and look at her. Not only that but he "stared her down" while he pointed to the equipment. There was obviously a better way (read: polite) to go about this.

Sometimes kid gloves aren't appropriate. She was being repeatedly selfish, rude, and obnoxious, and yes, while he COULD have said, "I beg your pardon miss, would you be ever so kind as to re-rack your weights now that your are finished with the equipment?" For those of us who see this day-in and day-out at our gym, it gets OLD. She also probably won't repeat her behavior now that she got schooled.
    I absolutely believe in justified shaming of people who act rudely and selfishly and put others out by their behaviors. Calling people out isn't nice, but it's called accountability.

I see it day in and day out in my gym as well but I don't yell at people. I just take the weights off and get on with my workout.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I would rather rack her weights than the meathead benching 315 and leaving it on the bar. Of course no one would say anything to him! (including me).

I would and have. I ain't a'scurred of no muscles.

I mean, what can he really say to a 110lb woman who can't move the sh** they leave behind?

How about "Would you mind racking your weights please" ? Not that difficult
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    TOO funny! I believe there is such a thing called gym etiquette, if you can't get with it, get lost in my opinion!

That's not the point. The point is that he screamed at her which caused everyone in the gym to turn and look at her. Not only that but he "stared her down" while he pointed to the equipment. There was obviously a better way (read: polite) to go about this.

Sometimes kid gloves aren't appropriate. She was being repeatedly selfish, rude, and obnoxious, and yes, while he COULD have said, "I beg your pardon miss, would you be ever so kind as to re-rack your weights now that your are finished with the equipment?" For those of us who see this day-in and day-out at our gym, it gets OLD. She also probably won't repeat her behavior now that she got schooled.
    I absolutely believe in justified shaming of people who act rudely and selfishly and put others out by their behaviors. Calling people out isn't nice, but it's called accountability.

I see it day in and day out in my gym as well but I don't yell at people. I just take the weights off and get on with my workout.

Ditto.
    Except when I'm about to use something and the person who didn't rack is RIGHT there, then I'll say, ever so sweetly, "Excuse me, were you done with XYZ? I can't tell because your weights are still on it."

If they don't get THAT hint, I stand there, staring at them, tapping my foot, until it fully sinks in. I find that I get away with that a lot more than I would with loudness, but I'm still considering custom ordering a shirt from ETSY that has RACK across the boobs, and YOUR WEIGHTS underneath it. ;)
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Bad form on your part, OP. Either remind her politely to re-rack (as maybe she doesn't actually know she's supposed to), or file a complaint, so that management can take care of it. Your choice of tactics was, indeed, over the line.
    tumblr_inline_mjejfkndvN1qz4rgp.gif

My 2 cents as well = )
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

I'm just...sorry. Lol!

I was thinking of what you're saying and then I got the mental image of this man, literally twice this woman's size, calling out "Rack 'em," and thinking he's the hero of the day. Lol!

Yes. She's sucks at being considerate, but how does someone feel good about themselves when they treat others like that in return?

Some things that I was taught as a kid: "Clean up after yourself," "Two wrongs don't make a right," "Take responsibility for YOUR actions," and "Treat others as you'd like to be treated." Why aren't ALL of these applicable, anymore?
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It sounds like she was embarrassed. You couldn't just asks her politely w/o yelling?

This or just report it to management to have them handle the issue if it's a real problem.
    jeff-bridges-youre-not-wrong.png

AND tumblr_inline_mjejfkndvN1qz4rgp.gif
    LOL
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Is the re-telling as good as the original fantasy fulfillment, OP?
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    There are so much nicer ways of reminding people about gym etiquette. Maybe it's just me, but if I have to rack a few 45 lb-ers, so be it. It's just additional exercise *shrug* The only issue I have is the really tall guys that leave the bar way high on the Smith machine. This shorty can only reach so high!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    There are so much nicer ways of reminding people about gym etiquette. Maybe it's just me, but if I have to rack a few 45 lb-ers, so be it. It's just additional exercise *shrug* The only issue I have is the really tall guys that leave the bar way high on the Smith machine. This shorty can only reach so high!

Same here...except on the squat rack. I "walk" it down, like it's the total norm, after taking the plates off. Lol!
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Somewhat related:

We have four treadmills at my gym. We have to sign up for them early to get the right time slots...I need them at 4 pm, so I sign up at 8 am.

Twice now, I have arrived and found someone at my treadmill. My name is on the sign up sheet, I have the "right" to that treadmill.

Instead of "barking" (really? Woof, rack'em, yip yip hoooowwwwllllll!!!") at the dudes to hop off "my" machine, I smiled and said "Hey, this is my time slot. Can I get my machine?" And lo, they hopped off, cleaned it, and found something else to do.

Wow. Didn't even have to yell or bark or stare anyone. Just a smile and kind words, and these guys follow gym etiquette.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    It sounds like she was embarrassed. You couldn't just asks her politely w/o yelling?

This or just report it to management to have them handle the issue if it's a real problem.
    jeff-bridges-youre-not-wrong.png

Yeah. Barking an order, and giving her a stare-down? She may have been wrong, but you're the ****.
  • SavageAbbey
    Options
    I would've paid admission to witness that scene.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    You rock! Can you come to my gym??????????
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Why would you be rude to someone over something that trivial? She probably didn't realize she was doing something wrong.

And seriously, who the **** bullies a woman? Let alone brags about it. You're a 250lb. man bragging about staring down a woman. I don't get this.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    The bully part is when you barked at her and starred her down. Sooooooo....I say yes, you are a bully.

And didn't you go to the gym to lift heavy things? Why complain about having to move heavy things???
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    How does OP know that the lady was 43+ years old? Like I could understand 40+ or 35+ or something but 43+?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

So you lack the courage to confront the person and enable them ... no wonder people don't re-rack.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    A kindly suggestion: Give all folks the benefit of the doubt - at least once. In this case, you ask her nicely the first time. If it happens again or she returns your politeness with rudeness, then feel free to become a bit less polite.

That way both parties save face during the initial confrontation. Consider it a "teaching opportunity".
  • mjsmamma
    mjsmamma Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Selfish brutes are why I don't go to the gym anymore. I love lifting weights. Problem is, I have a hard time maneuvering a 45 lb plate. So when these meatheads leave 2 or 3 45 lb plates on the bars, it pissed me off royally. Besides, it is a waste of my time! I'm not the janitor, I work out here. I always ALWAYS put my weights back because I know these guys aren't interested in a 25 pound plate....I even complained to the management, who said, we put up signs.....I must have given the guy a look because he said next time it happens, come get someone and we'll rack them for you. I did and that guy acted like it was a huge inconvenience. Yeah, I know, I did it all the time. I finally had enough and bought my own weights for home. People are too rude.