How come no one goes on about fromage frais?

Options
1235»

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I just googled to find where I can buy it here...... I'll be very very lucky to get any. Only a few companies make it here & only 1 of them have stockists that are close to me.

Funny how it's the most expensive supermarket you could walk into....... $9 for a punnet of blueberries?????
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    i love it and also german quark

Do you actually eat quark plain? I think it is too sour... I like it on bread and to finish dishes. I could see maybe with some splenda and berries. I guess I've never thought to try it that way.

German quark also comes in many flavors.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and rarely see any fromage frais apart from the teeny kiddy pots, and I'd have to eat all six of those for a decent portion! I'll see if I can find plain next time I'm at a big supermarket.
  • MissNordicLight
    MissNordicLight Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fromage frais/fromage blanc and my kid loves Petit Suisse.
    Cottage cheese is also very nice. All have more protein than yoghurt.
    I live in France.
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    okay so I went to Whole Foods in Greenville South Carolina today and they have Fromage Blanc but not Fromage Frais. and then I realize Wikipedia says they are the same thing. Is it?

Pretty much so. Afterwards there are some variations by brand.

And I'm glad to report that the local Whole Foods has two types of Fromage Blanc

M57rLWEl.jpg

The Vermont 0% tastes closer to Petit Suisse, Petit Filou (the zero percent kind) but has a slight difference. The Cowgirl Creamery stuff is fromage blanc only in name - it's closer to butter/fresh cheese (salted) and less like the flat yoghurt taste of French fromage blanc.

Edit: the reason I could not find it before is that these are in tubs and placed with the specialty cheeses and not the normal diary section where they belong.

I bet they were placed with cheeses due to semantics. a typical "Faux-ami" mistake.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

I bet they were place with cheeses due to semantics. a typical "Faux-ami" mistake.

Exactly. I was thinking this at the store.
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I see everyone eating greek yoghurt but no one eating plain fromage frais, why? Fromage frais has less calories and more protein than most of the greek yogurts in my supermarket except the very expensive ones.

i haven't seen it around, here. I am not sure of the duration required to create fromage frais?

A lot of French cheeses are banned in the United States. My French significant other always complains about how it's easier to obtain a gun than French cheese in the U.S. There are different food regulations here - cheese that is not aged past a certain date is outlawed, including many French cheeses.

Read the rest of the thread.. Fromage blanc is "locally" made in Vermont.

Thank you, Evgen! Vermont Cremery is the same company that makes the crème fraîche that Trader Joe's distributes. Nice!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Welcome, I hope your French SO enjoys it (and you too) !
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    It's lovely stuff. As is quark.

Wish I could get hold of skyr though. I can get smetana in various fat percentages, which means I don't end up with a big pot of creme fraiche sitting in the fridge, begging to be inhaled within 24 hours of purchase, but not skyr.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Oooh, what's smetana?

I finished up my tub of plain quark for breakast this morning with a tinned pear half and some milled hemp seed. Twas delicious! And seemed to keep fresh longer than yoghurt, too.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    It's Eastern European cultured soured cream, I think. I have a polish deli nearby and, whilst yoghurt is great, there are times when you need something more - in my case, it's when I've got a few huge beets growing in the garden that need to be made into soup. I cook them with a sprig of lovage, plus any sad looking single vegetables in the fridge with stock, then blitz it with a stick blender and add a small amount of the lower fat smetana. It tastes different to just plain soured cream or yoghurt.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Pseudo skyr can be found in the US - not as thick / yummy as the real stuff (see the yogurt snob thread) I don't know about the UK. I'll have to try smetana! Thanks.
  • SewersofCasaBonita
    Options
    Quark_on_Baku.jpg
  • backpacker44
    backpacker44 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Ate it a lot when I lived in Europe, but it's harder to find here.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Can't find it all all here. I went to about a dozen places, even cheese shops & still could not get it.
  • andrew051270
    Options
    Beautiful stuff, I have 1.5kg of fat free fromage frais per day mmmm
  • Karen_LM
    Karen_LM Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I see everyone eating greek yoghurt but no one eating plain fromage frais, why? Fromage frais has less calories and more protein than most of the greek yogurts in my supermarket except the very expensive ones.

i haven't seen it around, here. I am not sure of the duration required to create fromage frais?

A lot of French cheeses are banned in the United States. My French significant other always complains about how it's easier to obtain a gun than French cheese in the U.S. There are different food regulations here - cheese that is not aged past a certain date is outlawed, including many French cheeses.

Its not the aging or lack of it in of the cheese, it is the non-pasteurization of the milk used to make it. And also: politics. A lot more french cheeses used to be sold in the US before the french didnt support the US position regarding, oh i forget, WMD's? , Saddam Hussein? And congress retaliated.
  • Karen_LM
    Karen_LM Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and rarely see any fromage frais apart from the teeny kiddy pots, and I'd have to eat all six of those for a decent portion! I'll see if I can find plain next time I'm at a big supermarket.

I didnt know there was such a thing as plain! I will look for it too. Also the other thing mentioned up-thread, which is like quark, sold at sainsbury's? I had bitter go write it down. Though i only have access to little express type Sainsbury's, so they probably dont carry it.