I have no energy to work out :-/

Options
Hi All,

So I am trying to get into a exercise routine...but I just feel like I have no energy...light headed etc

I am eating a lot of protein, moderate carbs, a whole lot of vegetables and fruit to snack on.

Do I need to increase my portions? I also drink a lot of water??

Not sure what I am doing wrong but it is quite demotivating as I really want to start loving exercise!!

xx

Replies

• Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Open your Diary to public.

My guess.
    you are not eating enough calories per day.
    your not eating enough carbs
  • Micha121
    Options
    Open :-D
  • SneakyWaff1es
    SneakyWaff1es Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Either add more fat or add more carbs. Under 1000 calories per day is bonkers for long periods of time.
  • cedarblack
    cedarblack Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You should definitely eat more
  • staveshabr
    staveshabr Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    honestly i feel like that sometimes too and i can go weeks saying oh i just dont have the energy so i eat lower which keeps me from having energy.

you just have to break thru and just do it like nike says lol because once you exercise then the drive to exercise will be awaken, but everyone is different that is just my experience
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Yes, those calories seem low. Try and keep above the 1200 recommended by mfp - but remember it's kind of an arbitrary boundary and you may need more. Also when you log exercise I'd strongly recommend eating back some of those calories - some eat them all, some half or three-quarters. But it's important to eat that bit more on the days you exercise. You need the extra energy to do the activity.

Trying to reach a healthy weight is good, but you need to take care of yourself and get the food you need at the same time. You do not need to starve yourself to reach a healthy weight.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You're only eating 1000 calories a day. The 1,410 calories MFP gives you is a target to aim for, not something to stay significantly under. Eat that and eat back a good proportion of your exercise calories, and bingo, energy! :flowerforyou:
  • uncharted01
    uncharted01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i agree with what everyone else has said - you need to eat more.
    you're not even eating enough to fuel your body without a workout.
    you should eat AT LEAST 1200 cals/day and then eat back your exercise calories (or a portion of them).

good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating "lots" of anything. You're eating far too little. You're light headed because you're starving yourself. Why are you not eating to the calorie goal your given? You're eating under 1000 calories most days I've looked at. Your goal is 1500, that's what you should be eating, before exercise.
  • Micha121
    Options
    Eat more....that is literally the best thing I heard all week :-D I love the sound of that...what can I increase? Carbs as in pasta, potatoes etc? and what fat is good fat? otherwise I will shovel doughnuts and other junk down my throat lol!

I am thinking of eating carbs during the day and not in the evening?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    bingo, energy! :flowerforyou:

Liked this wee comment.

Remember what you said - "no energy to work out"

What are calories a unit of?

Energy!
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said. You are not eating enough. Stop thinking of food as evil. It is fuel. Gotta have gas in the tank. :bigsmile: Protein at breakfast also!!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating so few calories per day? You are significantly below your BMR, much less your TDEE. You need to learn more about what your body needs to sustain itself, and what your needs are for protein, carbs and fats before you get started. then set your calories goals. Then start an exercise program. If you're using MFP correctly, your calorie deficit for weight loss is already built in and you should be trying to reach the goal that MFP has set for you, which is the 1,400, and then if you exercise, you should be eating back at least some of those calories as well.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Eat more....that is literally the best thing I heard all week :-D I love the sound of that...what can I increase? Carbs as in pasta, potatoes etc? and what fat is good fat? otherwise I will shovel doughnuts and other junk down my throat lol!

i like that you said that.

eat what you'd like. good fat is usually from places like nuts and vegetables like avocados, or fatty fish like salmon, and just regular cooking oil.

some people do prefer carbs during the day, as it's usually a good source of quick energy, but eat how you'd like. if you want a big bowl of pasta for dinner, go for it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/

Just eat good balanced meals that you enjoy. A doughnut or other junk won't hurt you now and then, but it should not be the bulk of your diet. Eat some fruit, vegetables, lean meats, etc. too.

Most fats are healthy in the proper proportions. Eat more unsaturated fat than saturated. Nuts, olive oil, avocado, oily fish are good fat sources.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options

Food timing does not matter. a doughnut would not be a bad idea.

These are some of the things I eat.

eggs (usually hard boil a dozen a week)
    bacon
    Whey protein powder .. mixed with almond milk
    PEANUT BUTTER
    I sometimes pick up a handful of different protein bars at the grocery, just in case.
  • Wincymixx
    Options
    You're eating fewer calories than what a small child requires. Of course you're not going to have enough energy to work out.

Lift some weights. Add a couple of jacket potatoes topped with cottage cheese and/or tuna after your workout on top of the food you already eat and you'll feel much better and your body won't be trying to hold on to fat as it's probably thinking you're entering a famine right now.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Calories are too low.

Fat looks a little low to me also. :wink:
  • Angela26point2finisher
    Options
    To benefit from the exercise you have to eat healthy and you have to eat enough. Try to avoid highly processed foods. Stick to lean proteins, veggies, fruits and whole grains. Your body will thank you! When you get to the end of the day and need more calories, try a good balance of something like plain Greek yogurt with berries, for a delicious dessert. You can do it!!
  • Micha121
    Options
    Btw I am not starving myself...I eat and I feel full up and when I feel peckish I snack on fruit so I am never really ever that hungry.

I'm also giving up smoking so I thought the lack of energy could have been from that (probz an adding factor)

But defo taking into account that I need to eat more! just stay under my 1400 goal!

thanks guys! I really am no good at this eating healthy lifestyle...i'll either go overboard or underboard...never in the middle!