Calorie Burn- Working at a restaurant?

Options

Replies

• DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    So on days that I am more active....should I just suck it up and eat less and face potential dizziness, weakness, etc?

No! Don't try and justify 3000+ calories because you had a busy day (I used to). But, if you need to eat, for the love of all that is good in the world, eat! So long as you're averaging a deficit, you will lose weight. I have some days that are over, some that are under, and I'm losing inches pretty well.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Change your activity levels and some days eat less?
  • SKINNYsupermodel
    Options
    haha I rarely eat over 3000 calories. I usually net about 800-1000. Just wondering if I should up that a bit after a 5 1/2 hr shift.
  • Malkavias
    Options
  • DamianaKitten
    Options
    You should probably up from that anyways. I didn't realize you were on a VLCD. You really need to be netting more. Eating so little explains why a short shift like that causes you to become dizzy. Why do you eat so little?
  • SKINNYsupermodel
    Options
    I just don't get hungry very often. And when I do, I'm easily filled with like a muffin or something.
    I also have a lot of food sensitivities. Certain foods make my stomach upset and then I don't feel like eating.
  • DamianaKitten
    Options
    You might want to see a doctor. It doesn't seem safe to be eating so little. Your body burns off a lot of calories just by living, even when sedentary.
  • SKINNYsupermodel
    Options
    Most of the time I eat because I'm lethargic or dizzy, I usually have little desire to eat. So I just try and put in as many calories as possible before a shift and hope it carries me through.
  • laurelboynton
    laurelboynton Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a FitBit and was suprised at the extra calories it was telling me to eat.

I would say that you definitely need to change your setting to active, even if some days you sit down a lot. That 5 1/2 hour shift walking round etc will easily be burning hundreds of calories over your BMR.

Also, eating 800 is why you feel dizzy!!! Fuel your body and you will lose weight :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    so let me get this straight.....

the OP eats 800-1000 cals per day....and has dizzy spells and distinct lack of energy.....and says that she doesn't get hungry very often. Is that correct?

has someone pointed out to her that feeling light-headed and lethargic actually IS a sign of hunger? does she need to pass out and end up in the hospital to realize that her plan isn't working?
  • SKINNYsupermodel
    Options
    I'm not intentionally starving myself, I just don't get hungry. So if I'm not hungry, why eat?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm not intentionally starving myself, I just don't get hungry. So if I'm not hungry, why eat?
    So on days that I am more active....should I just suck it up and eat less and face potential dizziness, weakness, etc?
  • SKINNYsupermodel
    Options
    thanks
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Dizziness and weakness are signs of hunger. You are hungry. Eat more food.

Very few people are sedentary anyway by MFP's definition. When I was a stay at home wife with no kids I still found that I was lightly active.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I can't set it at lightly active because I'm not always working. So on days where I don't have work, I just do light activities, which I would presume would make me sedentary. If you aren't supposed to count work, then why does MFP give you the option to record the amount of calories you burn cleaning?

You do to count cleaning either, or cooking, or just any normal activity. Count actual exercise only.
    Please explain, clearly, how 5 hours of physical exertion from work is not burning calories, while 5 hours of gym time is.
  • SKINNYsupermodel
    Options
    my stomach usually feels full though. So though I may feel weak and dizzy, my stomach feels full and satisfied and I don't want to intake the additional food because it will make me feel stuffed.
    I don't know if any of you can relate....
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You need to also talk to your shift manager and explain that you need to be on a timed eating plan. It's easier for them to let you grab a banana than for you to pass out, need an ambulance, and be out for a week.

I would say that considering your user name you have had a problem with binging. Maybe start thinking of your body as needing a steady state of fuel instead of just pre-packing the tank.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    haha I rarely eat over 3000 calories. I usually net about 800-1000. Just wondering if I should up that a bit after a 5 1/2 hr shift.
    thats not enough

how tall are you and what is your weight?
  • SKINNYsupermodel
    Options
    I can't set it at lightly active because I'm not always working. So on days where I don't have work, I just do light activities, which I would presume would make me sedentary. If you aren't supposed to count work, then why does MFP give you the option to record the amount of calories you burn cleaning?

You do to count cleaning either, or cooking, or just any normal activity. Count actual exercise only.
    Please explain, clearly, how 5 hours of physical exertion from work is not burning calories, while 5 hours of gym time is.

Haha my mom is a house cleaner and she logs all of her house cleaning activities separately. So it made sense to me log it separately. But I don't know. Clearly I'm not an expert.
  • SKINNYsupermodel
    Options
    thats not enough

how tall are you and what is your weight?

6ft. About 128lbs I think.