WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note while I'm waiting for someone to finish using my machine at the Y. Stopped at Walmart to buy a plastic soap box to put my soap in at the Y. Somehow found myself in the Easter candy department on the other side of the store. I homed in on an 8-pack of Russell Stover marshmallow eggs. I fondled it, read the label (100 calories/25grams of sodium). Then I touched the wiggly fatty wing of skin up under my right arm and put down the candy and walked away! Maybe that can be my deterrent in the future. Anytime I'm tempted, just take a good look at my horrible arms and remember how they got like that.

I hope you are all having a wonderful day!

Sylvia
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Lucy is De, I am so sorry your daughter is having problems and even more am so so sorry you can't find the words to talk to her. My two girls are as different as night and day and because of that, my relationship with them is different. My oldest daughter I know that we can just talk, be honest. The younger one I have to wait for the right moment when I feel she is in the right mood. But in the end I speak to her the same way I do my oldest. We are just very honest, open, I open the conversation just like I would a friend and say that I hope we can speak honestly because I value her love and would not do anything to jeapordize that. The youngest, it usually has to be over the phone, it is just easier for us to talk that way. I wish it weren't. My oldest, we can speak freely anywhere, anytime. Raising my oldest daughter did nothing to help me raise the youngest! I hope you can find a way to talk. Nothing can bear on our minds more than our children's problems.

Finished my taxes last night. There was no good news, bad news to it. I guess the only way we would ever get any money back from federal would be to pay in during the year. But that would be silly. I will keep my money myself. So that refund is $0 again this year. But we pay more to state than we have had to in a long time. So I guess we need to decide whether to pay it now or wait until the last moment.

Looking forward to going to the Y today for Silver Sneakers. The lady who does the Friday class pushes you so much more. It is odd that the two classes are so different. Of course the other lady is 8 1/2 months pregnant. Then just wait for about 6 hours and I have two lovely grand daughters in my arms!!!! My daughter has bought a used treadmill and recumbent bike. She is not saying she is trying to lose weight. Her concern is that her back keeps on going out and she can't walk as much as she used to. Her job is actually located in a cave and they have a group that walks at lunch and she can't join them anymore. She was walking with them for the companionship, not weight loss but she can't walk with them. I will take whatever reason it is for her to exercise. She is really overweight. I know I should freely be able to say the word obese but it is just so hard to think of your daughter that way. She was a teenager when the bodysuit was popular. She looked so great in them. She wore jeans or a decent skirt with it but she had quite the figure. She was so beautiful in her wedding dress. Now she doesn't care and her husband loves her no matter what. Both of her girls are built just like our girls were when they were young. Trim, wearing slims only. But it was when they were in their 20's that they started gaining weight. I am afraid that her girls will have the same pattern. But my SIL is very slim. He turned 40 this year and is on a health kick. His plan is to run a marathon. Right now he runs 5Ks. But their diet is very much less than healthy.

Joyce, Indiana
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,940 Member
    Options
    Wow! the last time I posted this week was on page 8. Well again, just a short post to mark my place. I sure miss taking the time to carefully read and answer the posts. :grumble: Between work, my DH, and school, I am constantly busy. Then add in the snow, and I don't have any time at all! :explode: My house is really a mess! Has been since I moved here! Can't count on DH who says he is 'cooking and cleaning' all day but where???? :huh: I agree with Alison about feeling 'punky.' It is a word I heard in the past that describes the New England weather blues perfectly. I am in the same boat. I :mad: ordered a special light to help and am taking vit D. I go to the DR next week, maybe they can suggest something else. I am still going to Curves before work when they are not closed due to weather but only doing at 57% of the diet part. Weight not moving but losing inches. I think slow and steady will make it easier for me to keep it off this time. :wink: Well, back to work! Wish I could stay longer...

Until next time!

Rita from chilly damp drizzly CT
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Katla: is your husband feeling better?

Sylvia: another <coffee splash> at you "fondling" those eggs! :laugh:

I just did "Romanian deadlifts" at the gym. I think it sounds way cool. :laugh:

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,336 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!
    Posting much later than usual. The day has flown by. Woke up this morning to the sun shining through the curtains. Wonderful! I had been awake during the night and changed rooms bdcause I had a tickly cough, so I read for an hour. Woke up a bit later than usual in full daylight!
    In the garden the crocus are out, the primroses are going mad and the daffodils are ready to burst out. The birds are chasing each other. Could this be Spring? ? ? ? ?:laugh:

Cooked a delicious cauliflower and pea frittata tonight. A huge portion was 360 calories. We have enough left over to have a small portion tomorrow lunch with butternut squash soup. Oh so healthy! ! ! ! :tongue: :bigsmile:

My friend dropped in this afternoon and I am pleased to see her horrible skin affliction is clearing up with steroid cream. She had to see a different doctor to get a sensible diagnosis.

My rainbow mini cupcake cases arrived today along with the multi coloured butterflies. Can't wait for DGS to come back so we can play! ! ! !:laugh:

Lucy - I hope you soon feel better. Nothing is worse than worrying about our children, but it might be worth checking iron levels and thyroid. You never know.:flowerforyou: I have put on a couple of lbs and have recalculated my calories. Seems to be working now, but I expect it will take a couple of weeks of being good. I want to be back to my lowest by the time I go to Glasgow mid March.

Carol - I feel for you. Horrible! :flowerforyou:

Well, our curling team lost. DH watched it. I can't watch any sporting event I care about. I will only watch after I know the result! Can't stand the strain.:ohwell: :tongue: Still, silver is good.:cry:

Love to all. Ive been watching the Hairy Bikers Asian Adventure. I have the book on my Kindle. They are currently in Thailand. Wish I were there. Street food heaven. :laugh: I've also recently bought a book on Lebanese food for my Kindle. Happy reading.:bigsmile:

Bye! Heather in springlike Hampshire UK

Katla - hope DH is recovering ok. Such a worry.
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I did it! I went to water Zumba class and then Aquafit and swam lengths for 30 mins. 2 hours of working out in the pool this morning. woohooo :noway: :drinker:

I couldn't help remembering that only 14 months ago I could barely walk out to the car without getting winded. I couldn't walk around the block. How far I've come :happy:

Be back later

:heart: Sandy in ON
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at a pinterest page of a trainer and I found these quotes:

To many people quit due to slow progress forgetting that slow progress is progress

Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out

Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to remain the same

Your legs are not giving up, your head is giving up, Keep going

Acknowledging you have areas to work on is not an admission of failure, it's an admission that you have more potential.

Just a few thoughts for the day for you to ponder on.

Joyce, Indiana
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF~~The cold I thought I got rid of came back.YUK!:explode:
    Sun out today but cold and windy.:love:
    Girlfriend has 1 more treatment this week,if all goes well,she can come home for a week.Her blood pressure dropped real low,so they postponed the last treatment until tonite.She`s sleeping a lot.Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers.
    HUGS:heart::heart:
    jane
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Renny and Anamika - We know how expensive it was when MIL was in assisted living. Fortunately, she could afford it. We have long term care coverage, it isn't cheap but we know that assisted living isn't either.

Joyce - I love figure skating. Glad I recorded it so I can watch it when we get home. Honestly, for the last two nights it's on so late and I'm just so tired, that I wind up falling asleep during the show. Whenever my calories are high, I always look to see what it was that put me over so maybe next time there will be something I can do. Thank goodness I'm in that habit! That 25 cookies sure had me. Vince is a big time hockey fan, I get upset when there's the checking, I don't like violence. thanks for those quotes. I especially like the one about having potential. How true!

Sylvia - thanks for the ideas to "unstick" the apps. Maybe when I get back from exercising today, I'll have Vince look at it. How do you uninstall an app? We couldn't figure that out either. Good for you putting that candy down!

I was having this weirdest dream last night. I was dreaming that Bryan called us. The alarm on my phone went off and I thought that was part of my dream!

Rori - I have a problem with night snacking, too and I agree with you. I started making these plastic canvas coasters of cats for Christmas, and last night I really didn't feel like having anything to eat. I did have 2 bags of popcorn, mainly because I want to use it up before we go back. I still have three bags that I'll use before we go

DeeDee - didn't I tell you that you were going to have nice weather now that we're down here?????

Elizabeth Ann - welcome. Stop in often and we'll be here to help keep you on track!

Lucy in DE - so glad nothing is broken. Sorry for your daughter (and you)

katla - how worrysome, hope the MD helps dh

Sandy - awesome water workouts. In a way I kind of wish they had more water classes down here. Oh well.

Did 45 minutes of yoga and then 45 minutes of step class. I'm thinking that next Wednesday I may try to increase to two risers just to see if I can do it. Why Wednesday? Well, the instructor told me that there are usually more newbies in that class so she tends to do more reps. I'll just see if I can do it. She did say that it's more about being able to do it for a period of time, not so much intensity. But I just feel that I'd lose out by doing this on a more intense day.

I realized why I usually lose weight down here. DUHHHHH. Why do I sweat so much in exercise classes? The high humidity. Sweating means I'm getting rid of more water. Why this didn't occur to me earlier I have no idea.

Won't do any formal exercise tomorrow. We'll be going to Daytona for the Nationwide (and me to do shopping). Also won't do any on Sunday since we'll be leaving early for the 500. From past experience, we leave early to get there.

I just find that when I go for more than 2 days not exercising, I have such a hard time getting back into the swing of things. I always had trouble getting back into the routine when we'd go away for a week or more and I don't regularly do something. Plus, I need to log my food

After exercise went to WinnDixie. Needed a paper anyway and I knew they had Boca burgers on sale so thought I'd get one (it was a B1G1). The stores by us will charge you 1/2 price if you only get one. Not down here. Found that out the hard way.

Then we stopped at the health food store and I got the hulled barley. There's no place by us that sells it. Then went to the Verizon store and got my MFP app taken care of. Now I can log in from the phone. The Vince wanted to go to the Sears near here to get a pair of shorts that he'd gotten before and really likes. I got a pair of pants at Beals Outlet -- 30%off and because I used my Friday card I got an extra 15% off. Had to go to the Verizon store since I can't take the battery out of my phone. Vince remembers that there's something you can do to reset it, but, of course, we don't have the manual down here.

jane - sorry you aren't feeling well.

Michele from NC now in FL
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Almost forgot to ask:

I remember a while ago someone on here told me about a style of pants (the manufacturer) that they said usually fits them. I can't wear the skinny jeans, they just don't look good on me. But I'm always on the lookout for different colored jeans.

What was the manufacturer's name? I remember the person said that she gets these pants at Dillards. They do have a Dillards at the Volusia mall, so I'll check there.

Michele from NC now in FL
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Sandy: no longer feeling powerless is great, isn’t it? Rawr!
    Joyce: very good thoughts to keep in mind!
    Jane: sorry about your cold and your worries.
    Michele: looks like you’re having fun in Florida.

Good night, everyone!
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • Ginryl
    Ginryl Posts: 35
    Options
    Thank goodness I made to Friday! Seems like it has been a long week. DH is feeling better, so end of this "Flu". Hoping I don't catch it.
    I had a hair cut & dye job that I just did not like. :ohwell: Had it cut short & top was blond & sides were a dark red. In pics looked really bad. So went got fixed this week. Except we couldn't get rid of all the red no matter what we did. So now I have blond with orange tips. It looks better but can't wait for it to grow out some. I am thinking with all the colors people wear now, blue, purple, pink etc that maybe my orange will be treandy :laugh:

ElizabethAnne: Welcome to the site. :drinker:

Sylvia: That Easter isle is a killer. Good for you girl! :flowerforyou:

Rita: Welcome back :smile:

Katla: Let us know how the cupcakes turn out. My DGS is due for a visit & might be something to do with him. ::happy:

Sandy: Way to go!! You will be :smokin: hot before you know it.

Hope everyone has a great & healthy eating weekend.
    Take care
    Pennie in Texas
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    HI my lovely fitness pals. I am completely stressed out right now and need to get things off my plate. I am taking the weekend off from mfp but will try to return on Monday. Have a good weekend and know that I am cheering you on Meg
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Took Gwen as planned to get her taxes done...........she goes to the library where AARP volunteers do them for free. No idea why, she is not poor. I have never experienced this before----and didn't today. Left home 9:15, picked her up, got there a few minutes before 10 when they open and left at 2:30 with them undone; hordes of people........and they don't take appts. I had a few volunteer hours promised to work on a race on the other side of town and had to get her home so I could be there by 4:00. OMG!!!! What a complete waste of almost 6 hours........
    Got home at 7:30
    long day, almost zero accomplished.
    Meg..........I hope your stress departs and takes mine with it.

G'nite,
    yanniejannie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Anamika, you inspire me to keep on with yoga….my goal this month is to do yoga one day a week and then increase it next month.

:flowerforyou: Deb, the Dirty Dancing workout sounds like fun.

:flowerforyou: Katla, one of the reasons I gave up coffee five years ago was that I realized that I liked the sweeteners more than I liked the coffee.....hope your hubby is feeling better

:flowerforyou: Lucy, maybe smaller, more manageable goals would be less daunting.

:flowerforyou: Nccarol, I have been taught that in tough times, to “take the high road” and “come from a place of love”….spiritual solutions have served me well

:bigsmile: Juanita, congrats on your weight loss.

:flowerforyou: Sue in SD, I know how much energy it takes to groom a dog so grooming a muddy horse must be awesome exercise……I have a friend my age who works with her horse in a drill team that does routines to music and one of the riders is 83 years old.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, it doesn’t matter how coordinated you are, just so you have fun and don’t fall down.

:flowerforyou: Rori, Bernie has been more active and is eating less canned food and more “Fat Cat” low calorie dry food, but he still doesn’t seem to be losing weight……maybe he’s the “plateau King”

:bigsmile: Sylvia, congratulations to you on your wise decision about the marshmallow eggs.

:bigsmile: Joyce, thanks for sharing all those great motivating thoughts.

:flowerforyou: We had the last of our rehearsals for the weekend line dance performance at the assisted living place. Our performance won’t be as great as the Olympic figure skaters but we will be smiling and enthusiastic.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Today I taught the line dance class and it was great fun…..there were 10 more students this week than last and one brand new student who welcomed the help of others and had a smile on her face the whole time…..she said that this was her first try at dancing since she had a stroke.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: My solution to late night snacking is to go to bed earlier.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: 21,000 steps today ----60 squats
    two and half minute plank
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Michele, you just hold down on the app till you can drag it to the trash can. My trash can appears are the top of the screen once I hold down the app, but it's not there before, so it can be confusing.

Sylvia
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to tell everyone thanks for their support--it means so very much! I got some good sleep last night and a little fresh air today. Those, combined with it being Friday (and only a 5-hour work day), have gone a long way towards making me feel better. I'm still angry and hurt, but I've taken some steps towards a resolution. My daughter is healing and that helps, too. My son is still vomiting pretty much everything he eats so that is still a definite worry.

Sorry, I am so scattered--I'm still really tired. This has been a heck of a week. Hugs to everyone struggling and kudos to those who are staying strong. A special shout out to Sandy for her NSV of being able to exercise for so long!

Good night!

Carol in NC
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Had a long (5 hours) golf game today. It was too long! Fortunately the weather was cool but not windy. I've caught up on the reading tonight. Got a giggle over fondling the Easter candy. Good point about the arms.I'll try that!
    Going away again this weekend so need to get up early and get things ready. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
    Sue in TX
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Let's just say that this February is not going to be a good month for me. Goals are not being met. Sad how one additional person in the house can disrupt your everything. Keeping it into perspective. I haven't read all the posts but I do try to keep up whenever possible. Tonight I wanted to share this chart on cravings; if nothing else it is food for thought. Enjoy your weekend. It will be spring-like weather here in Plano.

1234355_10151684468636026_1124921767_n.jpg

Plano Teral :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,336 Member
    Options
    Pennie in Texas - I think it was me who was doing the cupcakes! As he is only two and ten months I won't subject him to all the mixing yet, but a slightly older child would enjoy it, if you can stand the chaos. I plan to make 24 mini cupcakes, which are tiny. I plan to have him fill the last two cases! ! ! ! ! Then I will freeze 12 of the results and decorate 12. The fun for him will be putting the animal faces and butterflies and silver balls and glitter on the icing. I will ice as many of them as I can and help him ice a few, then I think he can manage the decorating. He is quite dexterous.
    Should be fun. I hope he won't est too many, but 2 mini ones equals one normal one, so a couple won't hurt.

I have a while to wait until I see him again!:sad: Loving my supplies though.

Love Heather in Hampshire UK

Edit to say, I won't be eating the mini cupcakes myself! Hope to have them for adult tea, but I will probably bite into DH 'S and send any left overs home with the family. Luckily, cake is not my weakness, though many other things are, like CHEESE! :laugh: