alternative to hot dog/burger buns?

Options
Looking for a low-calorie alternative to hot dog buns. They're usually 120+ calories. Something other than a tortilla would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I got nothing... lol Why would you not just enjoy the hot dog in its bun and log it and move on..... Some things are just meant to be enjoyed but that's just me.... Best of Luck though.....
  • sheilaq14
    sheilaq14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love hot dogs but to keep my meal at 420 cal I now eat two hot dogs, one bun. I just rip it in half and the dog sits on each half. I hold it together with a finger while dipping in a pool of mustard on the plate. I don't miss having a whole bun anymore. I do the same for a burger, but I cut the bun in half and put the burger in it as if it were whole. It sticks out the sides a little, just dip in ketchup.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I just kind of hallow mine out. I weigh it and can usually cut it down by half or so. I find I also use less condiments with less bread.
  • Dawn810511
    Dawn810511 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I got nothing... lol Why would you not just enjoy the hot dog in its bun and log it and move on..... Some things are just meant to be enjoyed but that's just me.... Best of Luck though.....

I agree. Some meals are meant to be enjoyed "as is". Unless you're eating a hotdog every single day, then I would eat the bun and all. Enjoy it. I'm sure you deserve it.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    thin buns or pitas - buy whole wheat or multi grain - complex carbs will stick with you longer
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Healthy life sells Hamburger and Hot Dog buns both at 80 calories and they are very tasty.
    HLOrigWheatHotDogBuns-350.jpg

HLOrigWheatSandwichBuns-350.jpg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Never seen those!
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe at one point or another substituting Burger buns with portobello mushroom caps.
  • crt714
    crt714 Posts: 19
    Options
    ever had hot dogs with sauerkraut? NOM!
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Healthy Life! I have had them and fed them to my kids and they didnt even notice the difference! I also use the Brownberry multi grain thins for burgers.
  • notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I make my own homemade burgers and replace the bun with giant flat mushrooms. I'm sure you could do the same with hotdogs if you cut them to fit! x
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I prefer hot dogs without the buns anyway :devil:
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy healthylife buns?? Can someone PM me where they find them?
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I just bought some Aunt Millie's reduced calorie potato hot dog buns the other day. 80 calories.

I'm not really in the habit of buying reduced calorie versions of stuff, but hot dog buns are so boring that I don't mind saving a few calories there to use on something more delicious. Tasted like a normal bun to me!
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    weiner, romaine lettuce leaf and a little salad dressing. My ex used to eat that as a "hot dog"
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    agree.. if you like hot dogs..
  • x3xolix3x
    Options
    Saw this as well, tried it and its actually really good! Didn't miss the bun
    :)
  • jcolier
    Options
    I pile on healthy stuff (sauerkraut, onions, jalapenos, mustard) and use a fork.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    The aunt mille buns are tasty, I just have to have a bun with my grilled turkey burger. Hot dogs are good without a bun with mustard and sautéed onions and peppers.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Looking for a low-calorie alternative to hot dog buns. They're usually 120+ calories. Something other than a tortilla would be great. Thanks!

At least dump the "white bread" bun stuff if you are going to ingest the carbs. Some nice whole grain buns (make them yourself) or pick something up at the store/bakery. Multi-grain baguette is nice as well for a good chew.

The home of the Wiener - Austria - as well as most in Germany eat hot dogs without buns. They may have a slice of some dark bread with it, but no buns. The dogs or Wieners and some good mustard does it for the originals.

A burger is fine without a bun as well. Again - something that is higher in the food quality chain than a white bleached flour bread product will serve you well. If it's white - forget about it.