Do you count calories from fruit?

Options
124»

Replies

• bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Another zombie thread is resurrected. :huh:

Whatever goes in my mouth gets logged and counted, whether it has calories or not. Some of the spices I use have no calories, but I count them, too.

Edit: As far as sugar goes, I don't pay much attention to it. I'm not diabetic, I don't eat lots of sugar anyway, so I don't worry about it.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Count the calories, ignore the sugar as long you're eating it in fruit form.

If you're drinking the juice, then the sugar counts.

why doesn't the sugar in fruit count? It's still sugar/carbs

sugar in fruit juice spikes your insulin like soda while sugar in whole fruit does not because it's attached to pectin/fiber so it burns more slowly. Whole fruit sugar is not an issue.

If you're ignoring the sugar in the fruit then you are essentially saying that the fruit is 0 calories. Almost 100% of the calories in fruit is from carbs.

we're not talking about the calories. I said you SHOULD count the calories, and ignore the affect on your sugar intake. Not sure what you're not getting.

(happy?)
  • TwirleySlims
    Options
    I count everything, then I am not kidding myself, everything in moderation :D
  • cwsreddy
    Options

sugar in fruit juice spikes your insulin like soda while sugar in whole fruit does not because it's attached to pectin/fiber so it burns more slowly. Whole fruit sugar is not an issue.

If you're ignoring the sugar in the fruit then you are essentially saying that the fruit is 0 calories. Almost 100% of the calories in fruit is from carbs.

we're not talking about the calories. I said you SHOULD count the calories, and ignore the affect on your sugar intake. Not sure what you're not getting.

(happy?)

Thanks bud for copying and pasting the exact same thing you already said before.

lol you seemed upset that i responded to the wrong post - I was hoping responding "correctly" would warrant a response from you. Guess I was wrong. :P
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    So I am a little lost here. I keep hearing you should count calories from fruit ( which I already do) cause regardless they are still calories and are high in sugar but then according to weight watchers apparently fruits and veggies no longer count as points so I don't know who to follow anymore. So far I haven't discarded those calories just to be on the safe side, what does everyone here do. Also I've noticed that I will have two fruits before the day has even started and already it will say I've exceeded my sugar intake, I'm starting to get frustrated.

How about when you do Weight Watchers you follow the rules of that program and when you're calorie counting you count all your calories. Fruit has calories.

Also the MFP default sugar limit is broken. IIRC it's set to reflect some published guideline about ADDED sugar. A guideline that specifically states that it doesn't care about the sugar naturally occurring in whole foods.

But it actually counts ALL sugars, including every naturally occurring gram of it in fruit, vegetables, grains and dairy. If you eat food you WILL go over your sugar limit almost every day even if you don't have a single piece of fruit or any sweets. I strongly suggest ignoring it.

A few pieces of fruit a day is probably good for you. Or at least not demonstrably harmful.
  • z726beth
    Options
    Oh but it's such a fun zombie thread :) And some of us weren't here when the zombie was alive.

I count all fruit. For veggies I only count the starchy things, mostly because I am too lazy to chart my tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. It's also kind of like a little reward for eating them. Yeah, I know tomatoes are a fruit or whatever as I'm sure it says multiple times in this thread.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

(happy?)

I agree with this. (Although I ignore the effect of sugar intake from non-fruit sources as well.)
  • cwsreddy
    Options

(happy?)

Thanks bud for copying and pasting the exact same thing you already said before.

lol you seemed upset that i responded to the wrong post - I was hoping responding "correctly" would warrant a response from you. Guess I was wrong. :P

whatever you say, coach

excellent point, i'll rethink my position on this. thanks!