OMG I ate a donut and was up 80 pounds the next day!

Options

Replies

• miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    What if my weights are pink and 1.5 pounds? Is that too heavy?
  • lk2scb
    lk2scb Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for posting this....

It reassured me after my recent panic on seeing a 3lb gain in 3 days when I knew I hadn't eaten in excess of 3500 calories for 3days.

I like the way you liken it to a Credit Card....it really highlights how it really is.

So I am now feeling more positive about my diet journey now.
  • fsucrack
    fsucrack Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    OMG.... who doesnt have pink 3LB weights! You know its like the new trend...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Pink weights.....
    olio_1105918355_homer_donut.gif
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...maybe if they ate a salt lick and drank 3, 5, or even 10 pounds of water - then - maybe.

2q2r953.jpg
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    CURSE MY IGNORANCE!!

But OP, when you said this -

you did a particularly hard workout the day before and the muscles are repairing themselves

- my brain exploded. Why on earth would you gain temp weight from muscles repairing?

This quote is from shape :blushing:- not the best source...
    "A person's scale mass is a combination of muscle, fat, bone, the brain and neural tract, connective tissue, blood, lymph, intestinal gas, urine, and the air that we carry in our lungs. Immediately after a workout routine, the percentage of mass in each of these categories can shift as much as 15 percent." Intense workouts cause variability on the scale due to factors like hydration status, inflammation from muscle damage repair (we call this delayed onset muscle soreness), even the amount of intestinal by-product or urine and blood volume, Dolgan says.

Still looking for more reliable sources that describe the result better - but that one works for now. *DON'T HIT ME FOR MY SOURCE*
  • tagless97
    Options
    A friend of mine told me that "It isn't so much the hour in the gym that makes the difference as it is the 23 hours outside of the gym" Make sense to me ; -) Although.... I do need to add a workout to my daily routine....
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    :huh:

l.jpg

A donut topped with a donut?!
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    This is also a decent article... I think. :) I am not professing to be highly edumacated on this topic!

http://www.nutritionatc.hawaii.edu/HO/2002/135.htm
    As a person adapts to an aerobic exercise program, their muscles get better at storing carbohydrate in a form called glycogen. To muscles, glycogen is the storage form of high-octane fuel. During exercise, muscles break down glycogen to a high-energy source called glucose. A steady supply of glucose is essential for maintaining moderate- to high-intensity exercise.

So far, so good. But here's the rub: Along with each additional gram of glycogen stored in the muscles, about 3 grams of water are stored, resulting in a weight gain of as much as 2 to 4 pounds.
  • QS82
    QS82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Great post! Although I swear I put on 3lbs after I read it... :sad: :bigsmile:
  • JoanneC1216
    Options
    OP, great post! I sent it to my daughter who freaks when she puts on 3-5 lbs. :smile:
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    h-wd0509-Round-Rock-Donuts-2.jpg
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Bumping for awesomeness and truth.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    CURSE MY IGNORANCE!!

But OP, when you said this -

you did a particularly hard workout the day before and the muscles are repairing themselves

- my brain exploded. Why on earth would you gain temp weight from muscles repairing?

This quote is from shape :blushing:- not the best source...
    "A person's scale mass is a combination of muscle, fat, bone, the brain and neural tract, connective tissue, blood, lymph, intestinal gas, urine, and the air that we carry in our lungs. Immediately after a workout routine, the percentage of mass in each of these categories can shift as much as 15 percent." Intense workouts cause variability on the scale due to factors like hydration status, inflammation from muscle damage repair (we call this delayed onset muscle soreness), even the amount of intestinal by-product or urine and blood volume, Dolgan says.

Still looking for more reliable sources that describe the result better - but that one works for now. *DON'T HIT ME FOR MY SOURCE*

No worries. Sactownfilmer said pretty much the same thing, that the muscles retain some water when they are repairing. Thanks for the info and the insight.
  • ivery28
    ivery28 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I dont freak as much as think about what I did different that may have caused the 3Ib weight gain. If the answer is nothing I move on! If I keep gaining the weight THEN I FREAK OUT!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    getinmybelly_zps7c166272.gif
    l.jpg

34t9vms.jpg
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    If I lift donuts will I become bulkeh???
  • MireyGal76
    Options

only if they are pink and weigh three pounds.
    Haven't you been paying attention? hehe :wink:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

only if they are pink and weigh three pounds.
    Haven't you been paying attention? hehe :wink:

I'm screwed then. I weighed myself after I lifted them and I gained 10 lbs. :sad: