Is your Goal FASHION or FITNESS? (perfect woman 171lbs)

Options

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Neither.

It's just to be comfortable.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    100% fitness for me.

It used to be fashion when I lived in Japan and I felt uncomfortable in public unless I looked like I stepped out of a dress shop window. Now it's about performance and feeling hard thighs under my yoga pants instead of squishy ones that looked good in pretty clothes.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    It started as fashion for me, but I have fallen in love with the fitness aspect over time.
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    I say Fitness because I was starting to feel myself getting slugish as I was getting into my 30's and didn't want that to become my 40's+ where I was battling health problems. I guess trying to be proactive about it.

But....I feel somewhere deep down it's Fashion for everyone (IMO). There is a standard out there and even if you aren't actively seeking to meet that you still have it in your head that you aren't healthy because you don't meet the standard.
  • stephie_k143
    stephie_k143 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you! I currently weigh 5lbs more than mu husband!! gained some of my weight back between new years and now. It sucks so bad! But it is the MOST depressing part of the year, its after the holidays and its just freezing cold, and gloomy outside everyday. Makes it nearly impossible to become motivated. Luckily Ive gotten back on track and started going to the gym again. But my goals are definitely more fashion based, the fitness part is just kind of a perk. Ive had 2 kids so looking "hot" naked is impossible for me. But I can at least look alright lol. And the "perfect 1912 weight" is obviously ridiculous. The average height a woman back then was not even that tall, so even back then they were setting outrageous ideals. Im 5'5 and 158 and MY ideal would 135lbs.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I would say it started off because I wanted to look a certain way but now I'd rather get stronger than look perfect.

PS - If you think losing weight and looking a certain way will get you the prize of love and "settling down" (whatever that means) I'd prepare myself for a lot of unhappiness.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I definitely have to say fashion. I wish I could say fitness but that absolutely comes second for me. I've never felt comfortable in pictures or at the beach or just in regular every day life. I wanted to be able to buy whatever I want and enjoy my reflection! And I'm sure my idea of how I look best is based on media images, even if I don't want it to be or even if I told myself it wasn't.

I DO tell myself, however, that once I lose these last few pounds that I'm going to focus on fitness. I want to be fit... but even more so I want to "look" fit. So even that is still fashion. As they say, losing weight makes your clothes look better, working out makes you look good naked haha

Man, I'm one superficial lady.
  • The_Godwin_72
    The_Godwin_72 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Fitness and Health- I lift heavy. I weight 178 lbs, 5'6" and wear a size 10 pants.
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I say fitness first!!! I had cervical cancer a few years ago. Once you go through a health issue, you realize how valuable your health really is. However, I do think fashion is a nice bonus gift!
  • jlmuise25
    jlmuise25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Fitness is primary for me. Active duty Air Force here which means I need to be almost perfect at fitness in order to pass PT. But definitely add in fashion as I want to look good as well.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Well, according to the 1912 stats, I will be pretty much perfect when I hit my goal! The top weight for my height (and my goal) is listed at 167 and I'm 5'8". In my late teens I had a 10" difference (37-27-37) between my waist, bust, and hips so I guess I'm just a throwback to a different time.

Seriously, I'd rather be fit. But, I truly don't mind being able to fit into great clothes!
  • phantomjam
    phantomjam Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Excellent! I'm only 2 lbs over the ideal. I should have this wrapped up in a week. I wish!

My primary goal is fitness. I LONG to feel light on my feet again.

I was 120 lbs when I felt my healthiest and I (and others) thought I'd gained too much weight then. I blame it on chubby cheeks (facial). he he. To be 120 lbs again seems ludicrous now.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Fitness. Though for health reasons. I've tried dieting for "fashion" before, and I never get past the 3rd day. A little over 4 weeks in now and health reasons have prevailed so far.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I think the article, and especially the title are misleading.

It does not say that the perfect height and weight for a woman is 5'7"and 171 lbs.

It tells of a Medical Examiner (coroner) who interviewed/tested 400 college students and found a woman who was healthy and strong, and in HER OPINION was the epitome of the 'perfect woman'. She happened to be 5'7" (well above average height at that time), and weighed 171 lbs. Apparently her body fat percentage was lower than today's average, since she was 'physically strong' and had a 30 inch waist and 40 inch hips.

This does NOT mean that every woman who is 5'7" should weigh 171 lbs.
    Some women ARE indeed healthy at that weight, but your average female today probably has a higher BF% at that weight, and is quite a bit more sedentary than the test subjects of 1912.

Not saying that we should all be skinny, but that health is relative to the individual.

My top focus is health, at my 50 yrs of age, as Diabetes and heart disease, are a great risk at this age, and arthritis has already damaged many of my joints. Carrying less weight alone will help prevent further damage to my joints. Choosing the right combo of foods within my calorie goals will help with weight loss as well as help me to prevent Diabetes and heart disease.

That said, now that I am out of the obese category, looking better in and out of clothes is a nice perk.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Fitness! Fashion is too complicated for me and not nearly as fun.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Fitness. I want to be healthy, energetic, have no pain, disease and take no pills. I also want to be professionally and romantically desirable and to fit into my old clothing.

I like this.

Although I would answer "FASHION" honestly -- simply because even though I was obese at 262 lb when I started MFP I did not have any health problems. Of course I was at a much bigger RISK for tons of problems but I did not have them at that point. Going from my HW 307 to 262 was for health. From 262 to now has been more aesthetically motivated to be totally honest.

When I think "fitness" -- perhaps wrong of me -- I think of chin-ups, planks, and running. To be brutally honest, I don't care much about that stuff. I want to be able to get around easily my whole life as I have up to this point and I like keeping up with my husband on bike trails and hikes. But I am not a fitness junkie. I am more motivated by looking cute in skinnies with boots or rocking a curve-enhancing dress.
  • pichu_318
    pichu_318 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Fashion. Time to look good in cosplay, naked, and in swim suits XD
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    Both, duh. ????
  • evilpixiegrrr
    Options
    When I first joined MFP it was for fitness.

I reached my goal, and now I'm here for fashion. I was fine until the holidays, then 10 lbs showed up, largely because I make really great chocolate chip cookies. :P
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    When I started working out and logging my food in Sept. 2013, it was all about getting healthy and being fit. I'd had a couple of things bother me that my weight was really becoming an issue, so it started as a lifestyle change to get fit. Now that I've dropped almost 25 pounds and had to get new clothes, it's certainly put my focus on fashion lately!