Crossfit a Load of Shizzdoodles

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

OR you could just not grossly over-exaggerate what an actual CrossFit workout which incorporates running and lifting is like. Why spread misinformation?

Go back and read my posts-thoroughly. One who does so would get that the "zillion" comment was obviously not literal. I responded with a list of just a few WODs that incorporate cardio prior to technical lifts so no misinformation was given on my part. Sorry, I'm just not a fan of that type of programming, regardless of how much the Rx is "scaled down" That is one of my few (yes, FEW) issues I have with Crossfit. That's my opinion and that's what the OP asked for in in this thread. If you don't agree with it, that's fine, you're more than entitled to be.

I'm not this "big-bad" hater of your Crossfit, as explained in my first post. As a fitness professional, I've spent enough time around it to have an opinion of the good and the bad. Again, if you or anyone else doesn't agree with it that's fine.

...and now I remember why I stay out of these Crossfit threads. This is almost as bad as the Planet Fitness threads. :laugh:

Was the "2 mile run" part of your post literal or hyperbole?

In my time at crossfit, I never did anything close to a 2 mile run prior to any lifting...

...and if I ever did, hypothetically speaking, I would scale the weight *way* back.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I can recommend a good spinal surgeon for those two guys (especially the little dude) tossing the barbell back and forth. They can call in 20 years (or sooner) when 1/4 of their discs are either shot, slipped, etc.

I have also never seen this...uh...exercise movement in any crossfit gym...ever...

...but the bar they're playing catch with has bumper plates, so it *must* be crossfit, right?
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily have an opinion on this subject, but the word "shizzdoodles" attracted me to your post.

^^ This. New word is hereby adopted.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I think I would rather be caught crossfitting then doing anything associated with Richard Simmons
    funny-gifs-hey-kitty.gif
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-6244-1379012241-0.gif
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I agree to an extent. What constitutes being the "fittest in the world" is highly subjective.
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    "Shizzdoodles"

Classic!
  • Skykilr1
    Skykilr1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've seen sillier.

Prancersize anyone?

Wow. Thank you for sending to me on a google search to find that. LOL. That made my day.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    FTW...just saying...
    poodle-exercise-o.gif
    url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=oNYDJbQvFPYCKM&tbnid=Zfq69oAYAOJe9M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwfmu.org%2Fplaylists%2Fshows%2F51150&ei=N-gMU4bgAoyyqAHItIHgDg&bvm=bv.61725948,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNGuexv0EBSTYzE7i9HYGW7g3xmMsA&ust=1393441118911650
    poodle_workout.gif
  • jayjandy
    Options
    Don't knock it until you try it. And if you have tried it, but found it silly, then you did not have a good trainer.
  • avispira
    avispira Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The spinal surgeon recommendation is for those guys, regardless of whether or not they are crossfitters. Blame the person who created the animated gif!
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I don't think any form of exercise is "shizzdoodles". As long as people are getting out there and moving, I say, more power to ya! I do think it's overrated but hey, if it makes you happy and you got the money to pay for it, I say go for it.
  • mmmnougat
    mmmnougat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love it or hate it, Bro Science Life made a great video on the topic of CrossFit. http://youtu.be/qnjYyfkcaNI
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-30330-1378509636-47.gif

Obbms.gif
  • avispira
    avispira Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    They need to make a Thighmaster Shakeweight.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Overly expensive? Sure.

At times dangerous? If you go to a bad box with bad trainers, yes, absolutely.

Pushers of the paleo diet? Don't even get me started.

HOWEVER, anything that gets people motivated to work out is cool by me. Plus, crossfit has done a ton to bring lifting back into the mainstream, and demystify it for women.

Can you get the same or better results for a lot less money? Yes. But, if you have the money, and are willing to pay it for the crossfit dynamic (which can be very motivating), then do your thing.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    $125 for unlimited couple. One on one on boarding (training for 6 days)
    There are ALWAYS at least 2 coaches walking around watching our form.
    And most of the time 2 on the floor working out with us.
    Maybe I am blessed to be going to a good box. If you're form is not correct, they will strip your bar and make you workout without any weights, just the barbell or pvc pipe.
    If you have hip/shoulder or whatever kind of mobility issues, they offer us alternative routines or show us how to scale it back.

I find it is motivating and encouraging.. I would rather be lifting like this than to go back to my 5lb dumbells wondering what the hell I am doing and not feeling like I am accomplishing anything.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Was the "2 mile run" part of your post literal or hyperbole?

In my time at crossfit, I never did anything close to a 2 mile run prior to any lifting...

...and if I ever did, hypothetically speaking, I would scale the weight *way* back.

Nancy run total - 1.2 Miles
    Badger run total - 1.5 Miles

So if you wish to bash my post for being off by .8 to .5 Miles then more power to you, as you missed my point completely anyway and I'm sure will continue to do so. As a fan of Crossfit did you even watch the games last year? They had at least 2 events - (Burden Run, Naughty Nancy) that were @ or close to having 2 Miles of running w/lifting or technical lifts after them.

So.....no hyperbole here, Sweetie :wink:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    They need to make a Thighmaster Shakeweight.

I think you can find those in the Adam and Eve catalog.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think the cost is outrageous. We have a similar class available at our local YMCA and physically it is no joke. It kicks my *kitten* every time. What I like about it is that everyone is doing it together and we have an instructor. It motivates me and is an awesome work out. Strength and a cardiovascular at the same time.

I've never taken an actual Cross-Fit class so I can't quite compare the two. I just know that our instructor at the Y does Cross-fit as well and our class is modeled after it. I have known some people who became obsessed with the cross-fit lifestyle to a point of excess, which is irritating. I am a firm believer in everything in moderation. I wont do the paleo diet and I refuse to turn my facebook into a constant stream of Cross-Fit propaganda.

That's my two-cents.

I used to think that the cost of some washers/dryers was ridiculous and that my budget model was more than adequate...until I bought the better ones and experienced the difference for myself.

I used to think that the cost of some refrigerators was ridiculous and that my budget model was more than adequate...until I bought a better one and experienced the difference for myself.

I used to think that the cost of some clothing lines was ridiculous and that my budget clothes were more than adequate...until I bought better ones and experienced the difference for myself.

I suspect the same is true of many other things in life too (like luxury autos).

Sometimes, the best value involves spending more money. Is this specific instance one of those cases? Maybe not...but maybe so.

TL;DR - you don't know until you know.

considering spending that much on any kind of sport or recreation is beyond what my budget can stretch to, it'll stay in the "maybe not, maybe so" - I'm sure if i had a lot more money my decisions about what to spend money on and when not to spend money would be totally different.

Also, I'd like to know what crossfit could give me that playing competitive ice hockey and doing powerlifting couldn't do.... because if i had more money and access to an ice rink, that's what I'd go for and it would still be cheaper than crossfit.

I get you re very often more expensive things really are better... I'm not convinced that crossfit is better than other kinds of training.... but if I had enough money that 180 dollars a month was peanuts, i'd probably do crossfit (as well as ice hockey and powerlifting) because it looks kind of fun, plus there's the camaraderie (which you can also get by playing any team sport, but it does add to the appeal of crossfit nevertheless)

On my actual budget though (as opposed to an imaginary one that I'd love to have where 180 dollars is peanuts).... it ain't gonna happen
  • doug_pierce
    Options
    Love it or hate it, Bro Science Life made a great video on the topic of CrossFit. http://youtu.be/qnjYyfkcaNI

Beat me to the punch. This vid is great.