40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,971 Member
    Options
    I leave Mexico tomorrow. Supposedly it is minus 30 at home.....NOT fun. Booooo.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm in Calgary--and it is FREEZING here. Watch out....
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Alf, chalene extreme is awesome. It was funny as my day went on my muscle soreness started to hit. I thought I felt to good to be true this morning:smile: that is okay I am ready to hit it again tomorrow morning pain and all....

faytwain - keep up the good work I hope you have good weather for your run.

welcome newcomers!!!
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do not like burpees, no I do not. What in the world is a jumping jack Burmese?
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid to ask what a jumping jack Burmese is. Burpees hate me.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    OMG my friends!! I am sooo sore today!!! I decided to take a rest day today and do aerobics tomorrow. I know it will all be worth it in the end, but I am suffering today!!! I have not been this sore in a long, long time so I definitely know it's what I needed.

Hope you all have a terrific day!!
  • ruby70
    Options
    Nice2Bfit - thanks for the encouragement on strength training. I will be exicted when I start to see the changes. I am so happy to have HOPE again. I really feel like I can do this and get back to a body I am proud of.:smile:

I love all you Cool Kids have a great day.

Welcome Back Beeps - we have missed you.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Good morning Cool Kids!

Keep up the burn Kelly and Ruby! Kelly - I have been in your shoes on more than one occasion - I know it hurts but a mild walk for 30 minutes definitely helps those sore muscles. Keep them moving - less atrophy :)

Put in a 20-minute HIIT routine on the treadmill today with 10-min warm-up/cool down. Felt good. Tomorrow strength training...

Does anyone in this group use a whey protein supplement? Looking for advice on best tasting vanilla. Thanks!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    HI Cool Kids,

sorry didn't get a chance to post yesterday, but sometimes my days are just so long that by the time I get home, I am too tired to post.
    Yesterday, being Monday and all, I didn't really have a chance to do it at work (which is usually when I post. :wink: )

Kelly - even though it hurts, I always say that's a "good hurt". you know your working when....

Nice - I use Isagenix, but I understand the vanilla whey protein powder that is sold at Costco is a good one. I have had it and it tastes good to me.

Beeps - hope you had a fab time in Mexico. Enough to get you through the remainder of this brutal winter.

DH has been very ill. Just waiting on his blood work results to see what is going on. He had a terrible fever last week, and now is experiencing terrible joint pain. Lots of sleepless nights....for both of us.

Had a good weekend of curling and exercise. had to shovel snow on Sunday as it stormed for about 24 hours and dumped another foot of snow. I have no idea where to put it anymore. As I shoveled, much of it would roll back down on the path I had shoveled. :noway: My neighbor did our driveway for us as my husband was too sick - thank goodness!!! I did the steps, decks and back walkway. That alone took me almost 2 hours!

Didn't get my strength training in yesterday - got home too late. Curling after work today, so am hoping I still have some energy to do it when I get home.

Better get back to work. Wishing you all a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Ruby and Kelly, keep the soreness coming!!! :laugh: :noway: That is a good sign the workout is doing its job!! :drinker:

Sdereski, I hope your husband gets better soon.

Beeps, hurry back, we want to hear about your trip!!!

nice2bfit, I have tried the one from Vitamin World, Precision engineered limited whey protein hardcore series in creamy vanilla. It is pretty tasty and it doesn't have a lot of carbs, sugar and fat as other powders. I am now using Syntha 6 in cookies and cream. I like that one as well.

I am so sad today. I found out this morning the mother of two of my students passed away yesterday from pneumonia. They used to take her to my class all the time. She would sit in a chair and smile and clap to the songs she liked. She would sometimes stand up and tried to dance. She was 92. She gave me awesome hugs and kisses all the time. Her daughters are very sad. They are retired and all they did was take care of her. :cry:

:flowerforyou:
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options

I am so sad today. I found out this morning the mother of two of my students passed away yesterday from pneumonia. They used to take her to my class all the time. She would sit in a chair and smile and clap to the songs she liked. She would sometimes stand up and tried to dance. She was 92. She gave me awesome hugs and kisses all the time. Her daughters are very sad. They are retired and all they did was take care of her. :cry:

Aww, that is sad. But, you do have some sweet memories of her.
  • ruby70
    Options
    Kelly Sue - if it makes it any better I am feeling it too. It hurt to sit down in my chair at work today. After my workout this morning my lower and upper body were trembling.

Did you all hear me say MORNING WORKOUT, old Ruby is going to try the mornings again to see if I can get my sleepy butt out of bed. Send me good vibes.:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Alf - I am so sorry to hear about her passing. My co workers mom is 93 & the family takes care of her too. She is so frail and it is so hard to see her have problems with daily thinks we take for granted.

Sdereski - I think you got a good workout with all the snow shoveling!! That takes a lot out of you. We had that really wet heavy snow it was bad. I hope your husband finds out what is going on and feels better soon. My prayers are with you.

Nice2Bfit - I just buy the Muscletech brand from Sam's club, I usually mix in some fruit & unsweetened almond milk and blend up for a smoothie. Nice job on the cardio today!
  • lovelylela415
    lovelylela415 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    good evening. started paying attention to MFP again after gaining a bit over the holidays and am finally embarking on my final five. my pitfall is food and worse yet, i saw a photo of myself 10lbs heavier and noticed some ...rolls.

i think what i like the most about turning 40 is not caring as much about that anymore, and focusing more on how good i feel when i am eating right. Activity hasn't ever really been my issue - it's delicious desserts! ugh.

but still.... last five, here.we.go!
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Happy Hump Day! I am still feeling sore today, but did 30 min of aerobics this morning. It did help to "loosen" things up a bit. I think going up and down stairs is the hardest for me right now, but as I said yesterday, it is all worth it in the end.

Ruby- enjoy the morning workouts! I love to work out in the morning. It's a bit hard to get going sometimes, but it gives me a boost of energy when I'm all done!!

Alf- sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. We just had a friend of ours pass away on Monday evening. He was in his 80s and complained of chest pain. No heart attack was initially detected and he was sent to St. Joe's Hospital in Syracuse to see about having a stent put in and he died while he was there. Very Sad. His wife is a lovely, lovely person who lost her first husband several years ago to cancer. I feel terrible for her.:cry:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Back at the grind. Suffered a sea urchin sting (well, 12 of 'em) in four of my 5-right-hand-fingers(tips) day 1 of trip, so have nursed it throughout. Lovely trip - beautiful scenery, lovely resort, etc. Came back with a gold medal hockey player on my flight....

Will lift, today, but with hand injured, this is gonna be tricky. Don't want any DOMs, anyway, so am really going to take 'er easy...

seaurchinstings_zps0b58ef37.jpg
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Options
    Kelly/Ruby - great job on the workouts! Couldn't drag my butt out of bed this morning for my usual 5:30a workout - I will try to get in some walking outside at lunch time today.

Alf/Ruby - Thanks for the whey supplement advise. Alf, do you think vitamin world is a better place to shop than GNC? I don't have Costco, I'll have to check to see what BJ's has, probably something similar.

Alf - So sorry to hear of the passing of your friend. Sounds like she lived a nice full/long life. God Bless her.

Beeps - OUCH!! I have stepped on many a sea urchin - definitely NOT fun :( I hear urine takes away the sting....not kidding... LOL Hope it didn't take away too much from your trip. Good luck with your work out today! Maybe a good time to work on legs. Feel better soon.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Beeps, welcome back!!!! And I see you brought back a free nature souvenir. :noway: On our last cruise I got bitten by a fish in St Thomas (the first island we visited). It left a scar and bruise that lasted for weeks!!! Once we step into their territory there is no telling what can happen.

Thank you to all of you for your kind words. Yes, she did live a long life. I wish my parents lived that long. She reminded me a lot of my grandmother (my mother's mom). I bought a sympathy card and will have my students sign it tonight. The visitation is tomorrow. It will be a sad day. But that is life...

nice2befit, I dont shop much at GNC. I guess they are pretty comparable. I like Vit world because I normally have discount coupons and I also joined their free rewards program. I dont think GNC has a free rewards program, there is a fee.

• Beeps2011
    Options
    Nice2BFit - did you get your noon-time workout in???? I did!

Alf - I had to go back and read what the 'sad news' you had was. It WAS SAD! Sorry for your loss.

I got my lifting in-and-done. Couldn't use the pinky, so didn't do Deadlifts - subbed in weighted glute bridges, instead. Could do most of the other stuff, went lighter in my DB weights, and hope that I also avoided DOMs by doing that, lol!

I stepped on the scale - HOW DUMB WAS THAT?!?!?!? (I got back from holidays like 12 hours ago)

DUMB.

Anyway, I'll check again in a week when holiday bloat should have moved off....eeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Good morning Cool Kids!! Not much going on today. Got my aerobics in this morning. Will be heading to the gym tomorrow for weights, and have my boy on Saturday morning for a while. PawPaw and I are thinking that we may take him swimming at the gym. He loves the water!! :love:

Have a good one all!
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Options
    Good morning!

Got my butt outta bed this morning for some strength training - started NROLFW toady, we'll see if it does anything LOL - things can only get better :happy:

I was able to sneak in 20 minutes for walking yesterday so not a complete fail....

As my 10yo daughter tells me every morning....Have a fantabulous day!!