Friends say I am too skinny now

Options

Replies

• mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    a good friend told me it looked like I was a cancer patient

This is not a "good" friend. Learning to stand up for yourself is like going through a health journey but for your self esteem. Start sticking up for yourself one day at a time until it becomes habit :flowerforyou:
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You're at a healthy weight (not underweight for your height and you don't look ill to me) and if you're happy then pay those comments no mind, when people have said to me you look too skinny or stop losing weight in the past when I've been trying to lose I've used my Mum and/or husband as a BS filter, it's good to have someone you can ask who genuinely is happy for you to look good and be healthy, I know my Mum and Husband would have a word if they thought I was going too far.

To put into context I'm 5'5" and was down to 8stone4 (116 pounds) when I was 18 and my Mum told me straight that my weight concerned her (I wasn't purposefully losing weight or counting cals, just went through a phase of not eating properly when I was going through a rough time, also this was too small for my frame so I'm not saying this is too low a weight for everyone my height) However, a couple of years later, when I was down to 9 stone/126 pounds (I'd put on some weight after getting myself together and gone up to 9stone8/135 pounds) my Mum kept commenting on how fab I looked and I felt good too. So that's now my goal, I've been up and down the weight scale all my adult life and you've got to think about when were you the happiest (or are the happiest if this is the first time at goal) in your own skin, everyone's different.

However (this does not apply to you OP) I do think there are some circumstances where there is nothing wrong with some gentle intervention if someone is genuinely underweight and harming themselves, but body shaming (like saying you look like you have cancer) isn't a very constructive way to do it. xx
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I've had a few of these comments. Funny how the same people weren't as concerned for my health when I was obese.

As long as you're happy and healthy, carry on. I am!

Yes....Isn't it true that people NEVER comment on the fact that someone they know is overweight and needs to loose some (to their face anyway), but feel they can openly tell someone that they are too skinny.
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Not wanting to be the devil's advocate here, but I've seen both sides of this.

I have been in your shoes; I've been in their shoes... Sometimes, they are genuinely concerned. I have a friend that I was worried was having body image distortions (I've had them also) which is a serious mental illness. She kept saying she needed to lose "this" and "that" and honestly there was nothing there to lose, it was all skin. HOWEVER, I kept supporting her but with positive things. I encouraged US to do more weights to build muscle. I agree that coming from strangers, it's nosy and rude. BUT if your usually supportive friends are getting worried, maybe it's a sign that you should re-evaluate?! But saying you don’t want to lose anymore and want to tone, I think you’re on the right track.

On the other hand, I've gotten comments like yours before. I take them as compliments, say thanks and smile. The "you're going to disappear", I take as a “wow! You’ve been losing a lot lately”.

Please, don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying you are too skinny and that they are right! If you feel good, AWESOME! Best of luck :)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    ... a good friend told me it looked like I was a cancer patient. Seriously.
    I would have turned on one heel and walked away, never to return.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    BMI isn't the be all end all but you're within your healthy range anyways. As long as your eating enough there is no reason to change what you're doing. Sadly, it likely has to do with jealousy for the most part.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Unless you lost weight for your friends' approval, their opinion shouldn't mean a f*** to you. As long as you are healthy, who cares? Ignore it just like I ignore all of my friends' opinions on matters that aren't an issue concerning my health or safety.
  • Rsharpe99
    Rsharpe99 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think that our society is so used to seeing overweight and obese people that when they see a "normal" sized person they tend to believe there is something wrong with them. In my personal experience, have now lost about 18 pounds recently, I have a had 2 different people ask me if I'm sick. Sick? Really? Were I sick I don't think I could have accomplished that 150 miles of running thus far in 2014. And those comments were from people who would be clinically described as morbidly obese. In other words they saw me as someone who had something wrong with them. My advice is exercise, eat right, be yourself, and disregard the haters. Stick with us on here. We think you look great!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    a good friend told me it looked like I was a cancer patient

This is not a "good" friend. Learning to stand up for yourself is like going through a health journey but for your self esteem. Start sticking up for yourself one day at a time until it becomes habit :flowerforyou:

Skinny body shaming is a thing now. It's sad, but true.

The cancer comment gets people into trouble - I got that one not too long ago - and you should have seen the look on her face when I said, "I am a cancer patient".
    I have brain cancer, but that's not why I'm at my present weight, but it just goes to show people don't think before they speak.
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Yep i know the feeling, Ive been getting this mostly from family members recently
    I still dont know what to make of their comments because i think some of it is that there are not used to seeing me small because i was overweight for so long
    Just last night my brother turned to me in the gym and said you wouldnt want to lose anymore, we wont be able to see you
    I shrugged it off, but then he continued to say go away and eat a potatoe now that did bother me because i DO eat

my boyfriend has also said he thinks ive lost too much and i would look better if i put on some weight

I honestly dont see what they are referring to i think i look fine and definitely not too skinny , yes granted i wouldnt mind having a bit more shape esp in the glute area but im working on that

Do i just put it down to them not being used to seeing me small?
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    forget about weight. What are your stats. What size clothes do you want? Do women want to wear a Size 2 or 0? I have been told that does exist. Of course height matters. Ask critics what is their clothes size or waist size. Compare and that is a read.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    IF you have a decent relationship with food and aren't struggling with an eating disorder, then don't pay any attention to them.
    Of course...when my hubby asked me to not lose anymore (when I got to my goal weight LAST time) I listened because he knows what he likes. :wink:
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    crabs in bucket: when one gets close to the top and is about to climb out and escape, the others grab it and pull it back down. ignore.
  • grrawritsjordi
    Options
    I think you look great! I was about the same as you, not over 100 before I was 18. My weight has fluctuated about 25 lbs since I was 20. I am trying to lose the 25 lbs and get back to where I was in high school and maintain it. (I am only 25, so it hasn't been that long, haha).

The funny thing is, you are just about back to where you were in high school and how many times do you hear people say "I wish I could be as thin as I was in high school." You do you and congratulations on the weight loss in a year! You look fantastic and don't let anyone tell you different!
  • EIEIElenaO
    EIEIElenaO Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You're fine. As long as you are not obsessing over staying this way and are otherwise content.

Your BMI is over 19. (According to WebMD, at 18.5 you would be considered underweight.)

Sure you're thin, but as long as your eating habits are healthy, you're fine.

People in general have just gotten used to "normal" looking so much fleshier because we are all so fat (especially in America, but we've become adept at exporting it worldwide).

Yep, you look out of sync to the norm (which is a really good, awesome, healthy place to be!!!). So try to let it go, keep at what you're doing and realize the general population is wear fat goggles!

:drinker:
  • cameronwheeler
    Options
    I've been told after losing 125 lbs that i look too skinny when I am still not pleased with myself... my solution? weight training. now that i've burned the fat, now its time to pack on the muscle. because its okay to weigh more on the scale if the weight gain is muscle
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I hear "wow, you've lost a lot of weight!!" or "skinny-minnie" (i'm far from that, but I'm a lot smaller than I was)

My responses is always "that's the plan!" and they shut up.

There is only one person that I will listen to if they were to say I'm losing too much, and that's my mother. She's the one who was genuinely concerned when I was at my heaviest, and she's my biggest supporter. She's out for my health, and nothing else!
  • nataliebordeauxx
    nataliebordeauxx Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My husband and I (more him than I) have been getting this a lot lately too, and it's very frustrating. The people who are making the comments to us, unfortunately, are overweight and unhealthy. I feel like people are used to seeing you at certain weight & frame, that when you start to make lifestyle changes, lose weight, and become more fit & healthy... for some reason, people have a hard time with it, and don't really know how else to channel that energy other than to make rude comments. Also, when you're eating healthy & watching your caloric intake around others, it just reminds them of the crappy choices they might be making -- which is another reason for the negative comments, in my opinion.

In the words of the STUNNINGLY gorgeous Dita Von Teese, "You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there's still going to be somebody who hates peaches."
  • drewsp00ner
    Options
    sucks. no one cares though
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It pretty much comes with the territory, especially if you were quite overweight before and lost a lot of weight. This was the case with me. I was 250-300 lbs. previously at 6'2" but I have since dropped down to the 155-160 lb. range where I've been hovering for the past year or so. Pretty much the only people that haven't made sh*tty comments at one point or another are my doctor and very close family members. Everyone else has had their share of jokes and malnourished/ED remarks, with my dad (who himself is obese) being the main perpetrator.

I guess I was kind of asking for it, though. 155 is on the lower end of a healthy weight for my height and I didn't do much resistance training while losing, so I have that long, gangly look which I suppose could seem very odd to those that haven't seen me in awhile, definitely a stark contrast to what I used to look like. Still, that doesn't excuse all the comments. Being genuinely concerned is one thing, but just saying something to be hateful is quite another. I feel great, my doctor gave me a pat on the back at my last visit and I'm enjoying life like never before, so what's the problem here?

Unless you are told by a medical professional that you need to gain weight or else you're going to suffer severe consequences, I wouldn't pay any mind to anyone else's comments. If what you're doing is healthy, carry on.

People are so accustomed to seeing obese or a variation thereof nowadays that a truly skinny person can seem very much out of the norm.