Paleo Lifestyle Change?

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Well I've been doing a lot of research & it seems that many people have all said the same thing about the GERD issue. I'm not sure how it would help, I haven't looked into that. But I find that whenever I eat grains, I'm always bloated so I feel like I could benefit by cutting back but not eliminating them entirely, I am too scared to do that. Today for instance, I ate way less grains that I normally do & I had so much energy it was ridiculous. And during my research, this was another benefit of the paleo lifestyle. So I thought about transitioning into a 90/10 paleo lifestyle & just wanted some feedback from others from this site in addition to what I found through google.

I would think you could accomplish the same thing by just reducing your carbs to 15% of your diet and continuing on your existing plan? From your profile picture, you appear to be having success doing what you are doing now..

but if you want to try Paleo then by all means do so ….

I think I will play around with the percentages until I find ones that work for me. I just wanted additional feedback from this fitness site regarding the paleo lifestyle.

sadly the odds are you're going to get a bunch of angry responses yelling at you for even considering paleo instead of answering your questions - as you're already beginning to see.

Why would you start this? She has not gotten one angry response for heaven's sake.
    Center of attention and the personality traits that go with that bag of goodies, imo of course.

We have so much in common - I knew there was a reason I liked you so much????✋
    A personalities are like that, just some are more intense and of course many, misinformed:bigsmile: .

But with some hard work and better research you can improve on your misinformation, that's what I try and do:smile:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Well I've been doing a lot of research & it seems that many people have all said the same thing about the GERD issue. I'm not sure how it would help, I haven't looked into that. But I find that whenever I eat grains, I'm always bloated so I feel like I could benefit by cutting back but not eliminating them entirely, I am too scared to do that. Today for instance, I ate way less grains that I normally do & I had so much energy it was ridiculous. And during my research, this was another benefit of the paleo lifestyle. So I thought about transitioning into a 90/10 paleo lifestyle & just wanted some feedback from others from this site in addition to what I found through google.

I would think you could accomplish the same thing by just reducing your carbs to 15% of your diet and continuing on your existing plan? From your profile picture, you appear to be having success doing what you are doing now..

I think I will play around with the percentages until I find ones that work for me. I just wanted additional feedback from this fitness site regarding the paleo lifestyle.

sadly the odds are you're going to get a bunch of angry responses yelling at you for even considering paleo instead of answering your questions - as you're already beginning to see.

Why would you start this? She has not gotten one angry response for heaven's sake.
    Center of attention and the personality traits that go with that bag of goodies, imo of course.

A personalities are like that, just some are more intense and of course many, misinformed:bigsmile: .

But with some hard work and better research you can improve on your misinformation, that's what I try and do:smile:
    Well you know the old saying:
    Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.

Agreed I think we could all pay attention to that statement.

That's the thing I love about this forum, lot's of 100% correct differing opinions (all based on bias scientific studies (show me one that isn't financed, or undertaken by a party without an invested interest - grain multinationals, government, aitkins)). And no-one willing to change their belief system.

I think that's why I always see the same old faces shouting down others with their version of the truth!!!
  • michiganmom116
    Options
    I've been following paleo diet guidelines for over 3 years. In the first month alone, I experienced phenomenal results: no more gastroparesis, no more IBS, no more constipation, no more heartburn, no more nausea after eating, no more PMS or bloating, no more mood swings, no more joint or muscle pain, no more brain fog, HUGE increase in energy, increase in stamina. In the first six months, my cholesterol dropped from over 300 to under 180...HDL skyrocketed while LDL plummeted to 71. Triglycerides came down from 528 to normal range...all without statins and while eating eggs for breakfast every morning instead of oatmeal. My high blood pressure is gone...no meds needed. Thinning hair and splitting nails are now healthy again. I had the start of kidney disease....it's now gone. I had heart arrhythmia...my doctor can find no signs of it now. My immune system is working better than ever. I am an insulin-dependent diabetic that has been able to drastically reduce meds and insulin and have better control of my blood sugars than ever before. I'll take all of those benefits for the rest of my life, thank you, and stick with this lifestyle.

I did see a nutritionist upon the insistence of my (then) doctor. I had that nutritionist baffled to the point of speechlessness. She pointed out I NEED grains. I pointed out that there is NOTHING in grains that cannot be found in non-processed foods, in abundance. She said I shouldn't eat so much protein....I pointed out that I really wasn't, I only tripled my veggie intake. She said I wasn't getting enough calories, then she added up what I ate in a typical day and it was aligned perfectly with her recommendations. She said "but you CAN'T cut out a whole food group and stay healthy!" To which I replied "is that what you tell people with celiac disease, those that are lactose-intolerant, those that are vegetarian?" She had no answer.

The diet isn't bland or boring. I Just Eat Real Food. I learned to use more spices and herbs for flavor instead of relying on salt, sugar (including hidden sugars) and MSG in processed foods. My taste buds adjusted and the taste of food without those things is amazing. I don't miss the processed starches (bread, pasta, cereal) or their low nutrient density . I get plenty of fiber from the nutrient rich veggies I consume, and my daily nutritional intake far exceeds the daily recommended guidelines.

Oh, and I now have a new doctor (the previous one left the medical group). He completely agrees that the way I eat is very healthy.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options

That's the thing I love about this forum, lot's of 100% correct differing opinions (all based on bias scientific studies (show me one that isn't financed, or undertaken by a party without an invested interest - grain multinationals, government, aitkins)). And no-one willing to change their belief system.

I think that's why I always see the same old faces shouting down others with their version of the truth!!!

^this. It's always the same people shutting down any positive discussion on the "paleo" diet. It's almost like they troll the board just waiting for a paleo thread to pop up, then they're on it like white on rice.

OP, I second the suggestion to read "It Starts With Food" and I second the recommendation for HCl and digestive enzymes. While it's geared toward treating childhood reflux, you might find the information in "What's Eating Your Child" beneficial as well. If you want more information without all the back and forth banter, you might check out the Paleo/Primal message boards. Someone there would certainly be able to help you. Good luck!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options

Your saying all scientific data is flawed somehow, except non scientific opinion, like yours for example. It's not all flawed or you wouldn't support this diet and the science behind it, oh wait........
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Since you have an actual condition maybe ask a professional for advice, like a certified nutritionist.

nutritionist maybe, but MD's have truly no concept of how to treat GERD/LPR - I've seen dozens of ENTs including the best in the business and they're all clueless. They just throw you on a permanent regimen of PPIs that don't help, and in fact exacerbate the problem.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtb6Jo1iETD7JmxxizoT4F_ARrN4sTQN8ENlTF73eC2IjAgrXj

what? you usually have something of value to add to threads but I'm curious as to this response. are you insinuating I don't now what I'm talking about in regard to a condition I've dealt with chronically for the last 2 1/2 years?
    Come on reddy, you have to admit, that was pretty funny.
    I'm just curious what your subtext was. What about my post do you find unbelievable?
    You've been at it all day, take a break.

come on neander…just admit it, we all have nothing to contribute to these threads and should just agree with everything that Reddy says as he is so knowledgeable about every topic...
    She asked if anyone had actual experience with following the paleo diet. As far as I know you don't so you don't really know what your talking about. Your rebuttal against the diet is that it sounds stupid not that you tried it and it made you feel no different. That's not really helpful.

Please re-quote where i said that it "sounds stupid"?

I nearly pointed out that she is doing now appears to be working - based on her profile pictures - and that she might have more success by reducing her carb % and continuing doing what she is doing. I also said that, in my opinion, there is no real science behind Paloe, but if she wants to try it for the reasons pointed out in here original post then by all means she should do so …

Wow, some of you people are overly sensitive….
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

I nearly pointed out that she is doing now appears to be working - based on her profile pictures - and that she might have more success by reducing her carb % and continuing doing what she is doing. I also said that, in my opinion, there is no real science behind Paloe, but if she wants to try it for the reasons pointed out in here original post then by all means she should do so …

How would your recommendation help with GERD, being that the condition is part of her question?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

How would your recommendation help with GERD, being that the condition is part of her question?

She mentioned on page one that she ate less grains that she felt better and had more energy ..so I simply suggested that she keep doing what was working for her now, and reduce her grains to a lower percentage of overall calories and then fill that in with more protein and/or fats OR if she was really dead set on Paleo go ahead and give it a try and see how it works for her.

I never once said that paleo was 'stupid' or that she should not try it if she really wanted to.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

She mentioned on page one that she ate less grains that she felt better and had more energy ..so I simply suggested that she keep doing what was working for her now, and reduce her grains to a lower percentage of overall calories and then fill that in with more protein and/or fats OR if she was really dead set on Paleo go ahead and give it a try and see how it works for her.

I never once said that paleo was 'stupid' or that she should not try it if she really wanted to.

right, I get that. How does that help with GERD?
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later:)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    A low fat, high fiber diet is more likely to help with GERD.

http://www.healthline.com/health/gerd/diet-nutrition#1
  • leighann881
    Options

all I will say about paleo is that it is not some magical diet that is going to burn through fat and cure all your health ills :) I also think that in reality it really does not resemble the diet of true "paleolithic man" and the science behind Paleo is kind of sketchy, again just all my opinions..

if you try it and it works for you great….

I agree with this completely... play around with your carb intake. Also play around with your gluten intake. It is possible that you simply have a gluten-intolerance and it is unnecessary for you to cut out all grains. I also suggest cutting back on casein for reflux issues. I say this all from experience. I have horrible reflux (caused by a medication that I have to take).... I went paleo and was MISERABLE (no peanut butter = no bueno :-( ). Now I just keep it low carb, super low gluten (and if I'm honest i really shouldn't eat it at all), and found out that dairy isn't a problem for me. Sugar is. When I eat something with a "sugar bomb" then I am in pain.
  • Mamab1321
    Mamab1321 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Myself and my family have been "paleo" for about a month. I have celiacs and I'm lactose intolerant,my husband is lactose intolerant and my daughter has ADHD.
    I have lost 15lbs, my husband 25lbs and my daughter "attitude" has greatly improved.
    We are currently doing the 30 Day Paleo Challenge with minor adjustments.
    My energy has vastly improved and I all around just feel better about myself.
    My general physician and my Ob both said the paleo was a great diet that they recommend for everyone.
  • leighann881
    Options

Gluten wrecks havoc on digestive system for SOME (not all but some) people. (Cutting other grains like barely, corn, etc. have not been specifically tested (that I can find) and its probably not necessary to cut them unless you don't like them... and I don't)

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/581691

"Conclusions: The present study is the first to have evaluated the effect of a GFD in the nonerosive form of GERD in CD patients, by means of clinical long-term follow-up, suggesting that GFD could be a useful approach in reducing GERD symptoms and in the prevention of recurrence. "
  • cwsreddy
    Options

I went full vegan for a month and it made no difference for me. Doesn't get more high-fiber than that.

Like I said, medical science is next to useless when it comes to GERD/LPR.
  • leighann881
    Options

for some... but it stands to reason that if she has reacted well to low-grain in the past that LES from high fats is probably not the cause of her GERD.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Gluten wrecks havoc on digestive system for SOME (not all but some) people. (Cutting other grains like barely, corn, etc. have not been specifically tested (that I can find) and its probably not necessary to cut them unless you don't like them... and I don't)

"Conclusions: The present study is the first to have evaluated the effect of a GFD in the nonerosive form of GERD in CD patients, by means of clinical long-term follow-up, suggesting that GFD could be a useful approach in reducing GERD symptoms and in the prevention of recurrence. "

preaching to the choir on this one. :smile:

the poster I was responding to argues against paleo in every thread simply for the sake of arguing against paleo.
  • leighann881
    Options

preaching to the choir on this one. :smile:

the poster I was responding to argues against paleo in every thread simply for the sake of arguing against paleo.

I agree with him... I think paleo is stupid. But I think any diet where I can't consume peanut butter is stupid. I'm deeply attached.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am seriously considering transitioning into a paleo lifestyle. I don't know that I can cut out grains completely, I love my brown rice & occasionally whole wheat pasta & cereal, but I can definitely cut back. Everything that I have been reading about it seems to be great. I have GERD & I've read a lot of reviews that adopting the paleo lifestyle not only cleared it up, but also cleared up a whole slew of other health issues that they had as well. Has anyone adopted the Paleo lifestyle here & can you please tell me what your experience has been by doing so? I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!!
    Tiff

As someone who dealt with a plethora of GERD/LPR issues over years, I can tell you that this isn't a bad start and will certainly help with inflammation issues, but the thing that REALLY helped me was focusing on restoring proper gut function through HCl supplementation, digestive enzymes and high quality probiotics.

If you're interested in more information I'd be happy to share it with you!

Random aside here, but how does one do hydrochloric acid supplementation? It's not like you can drink the stuff...