Paleo Lifestyle Change?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Please re-quote where i said that it "sounds stupid"?

I nearly pointed out that she is doing now appears to be working - based on her profile pictures - and that she might have more success by reducing her carb % and continuing doing what she is doing. I also said that, in my opinion, there is no real science behind Paloe, but if she wants to try it for the reasons pointed out in here original post then by all means she should do so …

Wow, some of you people are overly sensitive….

How would your recommendation help with GERD, being that the condition is part of her question?

She mentioned on page one that she ate less grains that she felt better and had more energy ..so I simply suggested that she keep doing what was working for her now, and reduce her grains to a lower percentage of overall calories and then fill that in with more protein and/or fats OR if she was really dead set on Paleo go ahead and give it a try and see how it works for her.

I never once said that paleo was 'stupid' or that she should not try it if she really wanted to.

right, I get that. How does that help with GERD?

Gluten wrecks havoc on digestive system for SOME (not all but some) people. (Cutting other grains like barely, corn, etc. have not been specifically tested (that I can find) and its probably not necessary to cut them unless you don't like them... and I don't)

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/581691

"Conclusions: The present study is the first to have evaluated the effect of a GFD in the nonerosive form of GERD in CD patients, by means of clinical long-term follow-up, suggesting that GFD could be a useful approach in reducing GERD symptoms and in the prevention of recurrence. "

preaching to the choir on this one. :smile:

the poster I was responding to argues against paleo in every thread simply for the sake of arguing against paleo.

You have me confused with someone else. The only argument I ever made against Paloe was asking for someone to provide the peer reviewed science behind it. I told the OP that if she wants to do Paleo then go ahead and do Paleo, but that it is not some magical diet that is going to be a cure all…

Maybe you should get your facts straight before you try to come riding to the rescue of every distressed MFP poster….
  • ndj1979
    Options

I nearly pointed out that she is doing now appears to be working - based on her profile pictures - and that she might have more success by reducing her carb % and continuing doing what she is doing. I also said that, in my opinion, there is no real science behind Paloe, but if she wants to try it for the reasons pointed out in here original post then by all means she should do so …

How would your recommendation help with GERD, being that the condition is part of her question?

She mentioned on page one that she ate less grains that she felt better and had more energy ..so I simply suggested that she keep doing what was working for her now, and reduce her grains to a lower percentage of overall calories and then fill that in with more protein and/or fats OR if she was really dead set on Paleo go ahead and give it a try and see how it works for her.

I never once said that paleo was 'stupid' or that she should not try it if she really wanted to.

she said when she eats less grains it helps with her symptoms because she feels better…did you even read her post? More than likely not, as you did not read any of mine, which is cool, I see what you are doing here and it I find it amusing…
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

Gluten wrecks havoc on digestive system for SOME (not all but some) people. (Cutting other grains like barely, corn, etc. have not been specifically tested (that I can find) and its probably not necessary to cut them unless you don't like them... and I don't)

"Conclusions: The present study is the first to have evaluated the effect of a GFD in the nonerosive form of GERD in CD patients, by means of clinical long-term follow-up, suggesting that GFD could be a useful approach in reducing GERD symptoms and in the prevention of recurrence. "

the poster I was responding to argues against paleo in every thread simply for the sake of arguing against paleo.

I agree with him... I think paleo is stupid. But I think any diet where I can't consume peanut butter is stupid. I'm deeply attached.

i'm not advocating paleo to this particular person and i don't really advocate it to anyone since I don't follow it myself - however his suggestion that she "keep doing what she's doing" because she looks great has zero to do with her question about GERD, which I'm sure is the bigger concern, as it tends to take over your life.
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am seriously considering transitioning into a paleo lifestyle. I don't know that I can cut out grains completely, I love my brown rice & occasionally whole wheat pasta & cereal, but I can definitely cut back. Everything that I have been reading about it seems to be great. I have GERD & I've read a lot of reviews that adopting the paleo lifestyle not only cleared it up, but also cleared up a whole slew of other health issues that they had as well. Has anyone adopted the Paleo lifestyle here & can you please tell me what your experience has been by doing so? I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!!
    Tiff

As someone who dealt with a plethora of GERD/LPR issues over years, I can tell you that this isn't a bad start and will certainly help with inflammation issues, but the thing that REALLY helped me was focusing on restoring proper gut function through HCl supplementation, digestive enzymes and high quality probiotics.

If you're interested in more information I'd be happy to share it with you!

Random aside here, but how does one do hydrochloric acid supplementation? It's not like you can drink the stuff...

Tablet or capsule form.
  • Whambam087
    Options
    Since you have an actual condition maybe ask a professional for advice, like a certified nutritionist.

nutritionist maybe, but MD's have truly no concept of how to treat GERD/LPR - I've seen dozens of ENTs including the best in the business and they're all clueless. They just throw you on a permanent regimen of PPIs that don't help, and in fact exacerbate the problem.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtb6Jo1iETD7JmxxizoT4F_ARrN4sTQN8ENlTF73eC2IjAgrXj

what? you usually have something of value to add to threads but I'm curious as to this response. are you insinuating I don't now what I'm talking about in regard to a condition I've dealt with chronically for the last 2 1/2 years?
    Come on reddy, you have to admit, that was pretty funny.
    I'm just curious what your subtext was. What about my post do you find unbelievable?
    You've been at it all day, take a break.

come on neander…just admit it, we all have nothing to contribute to these threads and should just agree with everything that Reddy says as he is so knowledgeable about every topic...
    She asked if anyone had actual experience with following the paleo diet. As far as I know you don't so you don't really know what your talking about. Your rebuttal against the diet is that it sounds stupid not that you tried it and it made you feel no different. That's not really helpful.

It's just your overall "you don't really need to try that; think very carefully before you go there" attitude. If I thought something was stupid or quacky I would say the same thing. If I was for something I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it and would be all for it. And how would reducing her carbs help with GERD? By reducing her grains since that's were the overwhelming majority of carbs come from in the diet...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Since you have an actual condition maybe ask a professional for advice, like a certified nutritionist.

nutritionist maybe, but MD's have truly no concept of how to treat GERD/LPR - I've seen dozens of ENTs including the best in the business and they're all clueless. They just throw you on a permanent regimen of PPIs that don't help, and in fact exacerbate the problem.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtb6Jo1iETD7JmxxizoT4F_ARrN4sTQN8ENlTF73eC2IjAgrXj

what? you usually have something of value to add to threads but I'm curious as to this response. are you insinuating I don't now what I'm talking about in regard to a condition I've dealt with chronically for the last 2 1/2 years?
    Come on reddy, you have to admit, that was pretty funny.
    I'm just curious what your subtext was. What about my post do you find unbelievable?
    You've been at it all day, take a break.

come on neander…just admit it, we all have nothing to contribute to these threads and should just agree with everything that Reddy says as he is so knowledgeable about every topic...
    She asked if anyone had actual experience with following the paleo diet. As far as I know you don't so you don't really know what your talking about. Your rebuttal against the diet is that it sounds stupid not that you tried it and it made you feel no different. That's not really helpful.

It's just your overall "you don't really need to try that; think very carefully before you go there" attitude. If I thought something was stupid or quacky I would say the same thing. If I was for something I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it and would be all for it. And how would reducing her carbs help with GERD? By reducing her grains since that's were the overwhelming majority of carbs come from in the diet...

LOL…I told her if she wants to do paleo then do Paleo…you are putting words in my mouth that I never said …

She said, in early post, that when she eats less grains she feels better…so I said eat less grains and fill it in with other foods ….

I also told her on page 1 that I was not familiar with GERD and asked if there was any other reason that she was thinking Paleo..

I really think you need to go back and READ through the first few pages…you have made assumption about me that I never stated…
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Are you thinking of doing it just because of the GERD issue, or do you ave any other reasons? GERD is acid reflux issues, right? I really do not see how paleo would help with acid reflux….

^^ Yeah this.

Lifestyle choices that can contribute to GERD include:

Obesity
    Smoking (active or passive)
    High intake of table salt
    Low dietary fibre
    Low physical exercise
    Medications, including drugs for asthma, calcium-channel blockers, antihistamines, painkillers, sedatives, and antidepressants.

None of that means "go paleo." :huh:
  • leighann881
    Options
    It is so sad that some really go answers to the OP's question exist in this thread but they are hard to find because of grandstanding and combative BS.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Try it and see if it helps anything. IMO, it is just another way to create a calorie deficit for people trying to lose weight. Cutting out grains is pretty extreme unless you have a medical condition, as humans have been eating grains for thousands of years and are well adapted to using them as healthy fuel.

The majority of people that transition to this lifestyle (like myself) do so not to lose weight, but for reasons of re-gaining health, vitality and energy. If any weight is lost, it is just an added benefit.

If I merely wanted to lose weight, I would have kept with the low carb lifestyle that I was on to control my T2 Diabetes, thyroids issues and PCOS.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    There's a certain point where two people just need to block each other or something.

There's a lot of different things out there that promise relief from syndromes like this, and you want to just try it and see because your life would be so much better if you didn't have this to deal with. There are things that can help. There are no silver bullets. Paleo isn't inherently bad as a diet (like Atkins and some of the others). It eliminates some foods for reasons that some of us find spurious, but it's pretty balanced nutritionally.

You could get similar results by identifying foods that seem to trigger you and see what happens if you eliminate them for a week. Maybe you could note in your diary how you are feeling each day...something like a 1-10 rating system and see if you can notice any patterns.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Everything that I have been reading about it seems to be great.

I did it for a year. It *sucked*. Constant cravings. Huge food restrictions. Low energy. Regained most of the initial weight loss.

Never again for me, thanks.
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    There's a certain point where two people just need to block each other or something.

There's a lot of different things out there that promise relief from syndromes like this, and you want to just try it and see because your life would be so much better if you didn't have this to deal with. There are things that can help. There are no silver bullets. Paleo isn't inherently bad as a diet (like Atkins and some of the others). It eliminates some foods for reasons that some of us find spurious, but it's pretty balanced nutritionally.

You could get similar results by identifying foods that seem to trigger you and see what happens if you eliminate them for a week. Maybe you could note in your diary how you are feeling each day...something like a 1-10 rating system and see if you can notice any patterns.

I agree, however I truly do believe the book I mentioned and HCl, enzyme supplementation is as close to that silver bullet as it gets with this condition.

but again, this is only because my life was hell for two full years until I eventually stumbled upon something that worked after medical science had "done all it could". Others may have a different experience.
  • leighann881
    Options
    Paleo isn't inherently bad as a diet (like Atkins and some of the others).

Why is Atkins an "inherent bad diet"?
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    Paleo isn't inherently bad as a diet (like Atkins and some of the others).

Why is Atkins an "inherent bad diet"?

aren't you the one who just posted about grandstanding, thread derailments and "not answering the OPs question?"

huh.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    A low fat, high fiber diet is more likely to help with GERD.

http://www.healthline.com/health/gerd/diet-nutrition#1

True, but for some...

placebo effect > facts
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    But I think any diet where I can't consume peanut butter is stupid. I'm deeply attached.

times infinity plus 1

:bigsmile:
  • cwsreddy
    Options

True, but for some...

placebo effect > facts

the hell are you talking about? explain plz?

what about anything I've listed in this thread constitutes a placebo effect?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

I agree with him... I think paleo is stupid. But I think any diet where I can't consume peanut butter is stupid. I'm deeply attached.

Mmmmm peanut butter - the fuel of stupid????
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

True, but for some...

placebo effect > facts

Who says I was talking about you? :laugh:
  • cwsreddy
    Options

True, but for some...

placebo effect > facts

Who says I was talking about you? :laugh:

ok then back up your statement. what claim in this thread constitutes a placebo effect? if you're gonna make assertions like that at least be prepared to back them up. common courtesy. :)