Splenda - not so innocent......

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Anything with less than 5 calories per listed serving size can be labeled as no calorie or 0 etc... This is not news.

What I love is that some people will grab some spray butter and see that it says "0 calories for 5 sprays" then go "OMG it's calorie free butter!". Then they open the top and pour it on...adding hundreds of calories of liquid butter/margarine. Dosage isn't a hard concept.

I actually didnt know this and I totally go spray crazy with my Butter Spray. So do I assume that every 5 sprays is about 4.99 calories?

Call it a calorie per spray and you probably won't be TOO far off.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Anything with less than 5 calories per listed serving size can be labeled as no calorie or 0 etc... This is not news.

What I love is that some people will grab some spray butter and see that it says "0 calories for 5 sprays" then go "OMG it's calorie free butter!". Then they open the top and pour it on...adding hundreds of calories of liquid butter/margarine. Dosage isn't a hard concept.

I dun git it.

Come up to my drawing room. I have an etching that will explain it to you.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Splenda's not that innocent? Like... Britney Spears?

What does that make sugar? Christina Aguilera?

Yes. Sugar is dirty. VERY DIRTY!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

I knew there was a deeper reason that I liked sugar.
    2227541-web.jpg
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I didn't attack anyone.......what thread are you reading???

One person apologized and I thanked him for that. Did I miss the others?

My gawd you are a hostile bunch.

Calling a person, even in the general term you used, an a-hole pretty much comes off as an attack.

ETA: Your quote in case you go back and change it:
    Guarantee I won't...... If it doesn't interest me I keep on scrolling. I would never respond to new members (or old) the way you guys have here. You can lose 100 lbs, been here for 10 years and have 1000 posts and still be an *kitten*.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

I knew there was a deeper reason that I liked sugar.
    2227541-web.jpg

That's "Dirty", therefore not clean. We can't have any of that if we want to be healthy.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Thought I would post this as I found it interesting and I'm sure a lot of people here use this product.
    I still use it here and there but now I know how to account for it (it is not a free food!). I personally think it is insane that they are allowed to post the nutritional information for 1 tsp on their package for Granular (the one for baking) - who uses 1 tsp when baking?!?! It is a product that has plenty of carbs and calories so use with caution.

This was a response from a slenda rep on another page I visited in the past (I saved it for my own reference):

"The caloric and carbohydrate content for SPLENDA(R) Brand Sweetener is as follows:

SPLENDA(R) Granular
    1 tsp = 0.5 gm carb = 2 calories
    one half cup = 12 gm carb = 48 calories
    1 cup = 24 gm carb = 96 calories

*1 tsp. = 1 serving

Packet of SPLENDA(R)
    1 packet = .9 gm of carb = 4 calories

*1 packet has the sweetness of 2 tsp of sugar

Note: Per U.S. labeling laws, anything with less than 5 calories per serving, is properly labeled as "zero" or no-calorie.

The caloric and carbohydrate content for sugar is as follows:

Sugar
    1 tsp = 4 gm of carb= 16 calories
    one half cup = 96 gm of carb= 385 calories
    1 cup = 192 gm of carb = 770 calories

Note: The calories and carbohydrates in SPLENDA(R) No Calorie Sweetener come from dextrose and/or maltodextrin, which are added for bulk. Sucralose, the sweetening ingredient in SPLENDA(R) Brand Sweetener, has no calories and is not a carbohydrate.

Granular - sucralose, maltodextrin (0.5 gram per serving)
    Packets - sucralose, maltodextrin and dextrose (less than 1 gram per packet)"

Thank you. I didn't know that.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

I dun git it.

Ok. But no maths or percentages.
    They didn't teach me that in med school.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Not everyone knows this - I was not aware companies were allowed to be deceptive like that, I do NOW but at some point everyone has to learn it for the first time - or were you special and born knowing this?

I was just trying to be helpful. You're response was rather snarky and know-it-all-y.

I was overly snarky too. I apologize for that. I understand you're new, and this is actually good information. We tend to be a little reactive about "artificial sweeteners are evil" threads which happen constantly.

This. OP, Take a look at the tickers, posts, and join dates of the two posters that you think are "snarky". Then use the search feature for "splenda" or "artificial sweetner/evil" and you may understand a little bit. I guarantee if you make it here as long as them, you'll get a touch snarky as well...

ETA:spelling

Guarantee I won't...... If it doesn't interest me I keep on scrolling. I would never respond to new members (or old) the way you guys have here. You can lose 100 lbs, been here for 10 years and have 1000 posts and still be an *kitten*.

Don't worry - you wont last long here.
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Def Leppard knew.. they knew..

tumblr_n017thhROY1slwicgo1_250.gif
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

Yes. Sugar is dirty. VERY DIRTY!!

::wipes the crumbs of the king cake away to say::

Indeed - just evil :devil: :devil:
  • sjohnny
    Options

I dun git it.

Ok. But no maths or percentages.
    They didn't teach me that in med school.

I promise.

Maybe just a little subtraction.
  • huneydrop
    Options
    "Don't worry - you wont last long here."

It's sad to see you say that........ you clearly have self esteem issues and feel the need to try (key word here) and bring others down. Hopefully in time you will be able to feel good enough about yourself to not do that. *hugs*
  • huneydrop
    Options

Calling a person, even in the general term you used, an a-hole pretty much comes off as an attack.

So who did I attack exactly? Saying it's possible to be an *kitten* is not attacking anyone...... If you think I was directing it at you then........shoe fits and all that. But I didn't call anyone an *kitten*, simply stated it was possible to be one. Read slower.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

It's sad to see you say that........ you clearly have self esteem issues and feel the need to try (key word here) and bring others down. Hopefully in time you will be able to feel good enough about yourself to not do that. *hugs*

I've sheen Allons post often and she's an incredibly nice and helpful poster. I'm pretty sure her self esteem is just fine.

And I'm with her remark on this.
    And my self esteem is just fine.
    Its your attitude towards the community that needs work.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    I heard we're doing Splenda maths?

How's it going so far?

oh...no...out.
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia.
    Thought I would post this as I found it interesting and I'm sure a lot of people here use this product.
    I still use it here and there but now I know how to account for it (it is not a free food!). I personally think it is insane that they are allowed to post the nutritional information for 1 tsp on their package for Granular (the one for baking) - who uses 1 tsp when baking?!?! It is a product that has plenty of carbs and calories so use with caution.

This was a response from a slenda rep on another page I visited in the past (I saved it for my own reference):

"The caloric and carbohydrate content for SPLENDA(R) Brand Sweetener is as follows:

SPLENDA(R) Granular
    1 tsp = 0.5 gm carb = 2 calories
    one half cup = 12 gm carb = 48 calories
    1 cup = 24 gm carb = 96 calories

*1 tsp. = 1 serving

Packet of SPLENDA(R)
    1 packet = .9 gm of carb = 4 calories

*1 packet has the sweetness of 2 tsp of sugar

Note: Per U.S. labeling laws, anything with less than 5 calories per serving, is properly labeled as "zero" or no-calorie.

The caloric and carbohydrate content for sugar is as follows:

Sugar
    1 tsp = 4 gm of carb= 16 calories
    one half cup = 96 gm of carb= 385 calories
    1 cup = 192 gm of carb = 770 calories

Note: The calories and carbohydrates in SPLENDA(R) No Calorie Sweetener come from dextrose and/or maltodextrin, which are added for bulk. Sucralose, the sweetening ingredient in SPLENDA(R) Brand Sweetener, has no calories and is not a carbohydrate.

Granular - sucralose, maltodextrin (0.5 gram per serving)
    Packets - sucralose, maltodextrin and dextrose (less than 1 gram per packet)"
  • huneydrop
    Options

I've sheen Allons post often and she's an incredibly nice and helpful poster. I'm pretty sure her self esteem is just fine.

And I'm with her remark on this.
    And my self esteem is just fine.
    Its your attitude towards the community that needs work.

I post a thread with some information I learned (just trying to be helpful - or is that discouraged around here?), some people decide to make snarky comments about it and I respond letting them know they were being snarky.............. shame on me.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

So who did I attack exactly? Saying it's possible to be an *kitten* is not attacking anyone...... If you think I was directing it at you then........shoe fits and all that. But I didn't call anyone an *kitten*, simply stated it was possible to be one. Read slower.

OP, you sound...angry.

Is everything okay?
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

More like Miley Cyrus.

licking.gif

She should have put some Splenda on that.