Are the poor fat?

Options

Replies

• arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It does cost more to eat healthy. Some people say it isn't, but I have experienced it first hand.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It does cost more to eat healthy. Some people say it isn't, but I have experienced it first hand.

I have experienced a DROP in my grocery bill by eating healthy. :smokin:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I think I'm gonna buy that 5lb bag of potatoes for $1.69 deal next time I see it. I had potatoes for lunch twice this week and they were great! Easy to nuke in the microwave in the morning and pack for work, and since I'm pretty much "meh" about potatoes they won't disappear during the week or weekend unless I'm packing a lunch. I've always tended not to buy potatoes since they'd go bad due to being ignored but you guys have inspired me! Here goes nothing :laugh:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I don't know how much your gas bill was last quarter but nobody is taking this into account, my GAS bill was £200 for the last 3 months and I never use my heating, its all for cooking or hot water! Alot of people can't afford the utensils and stuff that you need to cook properly in the first place! A decent set of pans can run you 100 dollars EASILY - alot of poorer people have cash in small amount regularly but never accumulate enough to achieve escape velocity from their situation. its achieving escape velocity which lifts you out of your situation - not getting doled out a few dollars every so often

This really makes no sense. We're not talking about someone just starting out in life. We're talking about the average household buying food. Typically most households already have the utensils and pots and pans, etc.

Right. When I was 20, I had nothing, but I didn't have kiddos to feed either. It took many years, but I gradually built a decent kitchen, one pan/utensil at a time.

And I have *NEVER* spent $100 for anything kitchen-wise, though my husband once saved up money and bought me a stand-mixer, which is the only *fancy,expensive* item in my kitchen. We still do dishes by hand and get everything at Kmart. (and they have the best layaway for higher-priced items) Also, in the US, the working poor with kids get the EITC at income tax time. For many, that's several thousand in cash that is often spent on things like kitchen items (or mattresses, etc., basically the things that the working poor could never otherwise afford to buy)

Around here, gas is for heating. Electric heat is too expensive. (But either way, you gotta use energy, regardless of the source of it.) Also, our stove is electric, but when we lost our electricity due to being unable to pay the bill, we cooked on a propane camping stove. We also have a fire pit in the back yard, if need be.

That is very true.. A friend of mine.. 3 incomes (husband has 2 jobs), 2 kids, a dog,. living in a house that is really too small for them, is currently finding herself buying hot dogs, pasta and ramen because of all the furlough days her husband was forced to take for both jobs, since both his jobs are government. They are considered the working poor despite her masters degree and him having 2 jobs.. It's really sad when a family with that level of education and that many jobs are having their electricity turned off and cancelling their phones, just to keep their mortgage paid and their kids fed. Oh.. and they didn't get a tax refund or that earned income credit, they owe, despite claiming 0 at all the jobs. It's really sad.

I was 20, with a kid. It seems we are talking about things from a completely different view point. It's all relative to experience, where you live and what is available to you. You can have the whole "i pulled myself out of it, so you should be able to" mentality as long as you recognize that it's not easy, it's not the same for everyone and it's not always as easy as.. go buy chicken at the grocery store and cook it. Esp when you have other priorities that take presence over what ends up on your plate.

I totally agree with the escape velocity idea mentioned above. I also agree that people often squander their tax returns, if they get one, on things others deem frivolous. That's not the case always, but it does happen.

Considering that you mentioned you have a child, I'd think that food purchases and what ends up on your plate (the child's in particular) would be a priority over other things.
    As someone who was 19 with 2 children, I can tell you that my children always had good food on their plates, and enough. They had three square meals a day. That was a priority for us.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I think I'm gonna buy that 5lb bag of potatoes for $1.69 deal next time I see it. I had potatoes for lunch twice this week and they were great! Easy to nuke in the microwave in the morning and pack for work, and since I'm pretty much "meh" about potatoes they won't disappear during the week or weekend unless I'm packing a lunch. I've always tended not to buy potatoes since they'd go bad due to being ignored but you guys have inspired me! Here goes nothing :laugh:

:drinker:

Just be careful on storing them. Sometimes, I have found 10 lb bags for $2.49. You gotta buy it when it's a good deal like that and just figure out how to store it. I love potatoes, and a little goes a long way. Plus they are versatile. They can be a side or the main dish.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

:drinker:

Just be careful on storing them. Sometimes, I have found 10 lb bags for $2.49. You gotta buy it when it's a good deal like that and just figure out how to store it. I love potatoes, and a little goes a long way. Plus they are versatile. They can be a side or the main dish.

Dark and cool.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I don't think being poor = being overweight. I do know a lot of people who complain about not being able to buy "good" and "healthy" food, but seem to be able to afford lots of other things (cable TV with all the channels, iPhones for whole family with data plans, gas-guzzling vehicles, plenty of "toys", going shopping for new clothes all the time when they have plenty, etc.) I also hear people complain about fresh fruit and vegetables going bad when they buy them, yet they never complain about "junk" food going stale and uneaten. In my opinion, it is a matter of prioritizing.

Maybe people do have wrong priorities, but even so, it is still a myth that eating healthy is more expensive. Eating junk are these people's priorities over eating healthy, not necessarily a cable TV.
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It's easy to be fat when someone else pays for your groceries!

Just sayin!
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Just sayin!

I just rolled my eyes so hard I saw the curvature of the Earth
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

One story about a study published by the CATO Institute and one story from FreePatriot.org. Not exactly what I would call bastions of objectivity.
  • Xsadia
    Xsadia Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't personally have a huge shopping budget, and there's no way I could afford to buy the produce to eat freshly cooked meals every day. Not a chance. It's just way too expensive and I cannot justify it.

As a result I tend to buy a lot of micro meals, but I only buy meals that suit my calorie budget too. When you can pay as little as £1 for a meal, its a lot more pocket friendly for those of us on a budget.

So yeah, imo..just because you are poor doesnt mean you HAVE to be overwight. I understand people might not be able to afford a home cooked balanced meal every day and its easier sometimes just to buy whatever you are able to. For me it's still about thinking about what you are eating but within your budget.
  • Vincentsz
    Options

One story about a study published by the CATO Institute and one story from FreePatriot.org. Not exactly what I would call bastions of objectivity.

You may think so, But the second one is words from her own mouth! And she makes a compelling argument! However if you are comfortable either paying into a corrupt system or receiving it's benefits! More power to you! Can't last forever! Historically speaking.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Unhealthy food is cheap. If you are afraid that you don't have any money to fill your stomach, you buy frozen meat pies and McDonald's. In some places good food is not available in stores. Being poor often means that you don't have a car and must use mass transit which takes forever and you have to stand for long times in the cold and heat, which is exhausting. Because of the exhaustion you have even less energy for preparing anything healthy, exercising, or resisting temptation. If you are poor you may be less aware that tater tot casserole, soda, cigarettes, sodium, etc are bad for your health. Although I'm not poor, got fat when I started commuting 3 hours a day to a stressful job in DC instead of playing with my friends, dancing, shopping, cooking and eating for strength.
  • Vincentsz
    Options
    MacDonald's soda and cigarettes are not cheap! I can prepare Boneless skinless chicken breast a sweet potato and frozen mixed vegetables consistently cheaper than any of those things.

Now I admit! It does take some discipline to prepare these meals. (possibly in advance on the weekends) Considering most peoples working schedules. But it's not impossible. Nothing worth doing is impossible!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Just sayin!

What I wouldn't give for someone to pay for my groceries. But alas, my kids aren't in daycare, and I pay reasonable rent, so I'm no longer eligible. :sad:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Unhealthy food is cheap. If you are afraid that you don't have any money to fill your stomach, you buy frozen meat pies and McDonald's. In some places good food is not available in stores. Being poor often means that you don't have a car and must use mass transit which takes forever and you have to stand for long times in the cold and heat, which is exhausting. Because of the exhaustion you have even less energy for preparing anything healthy, exercising, or resisting temptation. If you are poor you may be less aware that tater tot casserole, soda, cigarettes, sodium, etc are bad for your health. Although I'm not poor, got fat when I started commuting 3 hours a day to a stressful job in DC instead of playing with my friends, dancing, shopping, cooking and eating for strength.

What is "unhealthy food?" Frozen meat pies? Really? What's unhealthy about them?

"Good food is not available in stores"??? WTF is that supposed to even mean? That you think the food they sell tastes gross? Or maybe that's it's molded or something?

Your post does not make sense.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Actually the CATO study didn't even say that, and they are pretty unbiased. They simply admit to the things that most do not want to hear. Having said that, the study linked in the benswann blog is not even available, so who knows what it actually said? My best guess is that for some people, there is no incentive to work, and for others, a paycheck and the work to earn it is its own reward, both of which are true, depending on the person. Some people are happy to be junkies, live in the streets, begging for change. Sad, but also true.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    MacDonald's soda and cigarettes are not cheap! I can prepare Boneless skinless chicken breast a sweet potato and frozen mixed vegetables consistently cheaper than any of those things.

Now I admit! It does take some discipline to prepare these meals. (possibly in advance on the weekends) Considering most peoples working schedules. But it's not impossible. Nothing worth doing is impossible!

I work full-time, but I still cook every night. I have made things in advance, such as lasagne, that take more than an hour to prepare and cook. But a chicken breast takes about 20 minutes. I don't make sweet potatoes, but I make mashed or baked russets. If baking them, I pop them in the oven as soon as I get home, and they are ready by dinner.

I agree that pre-planning is essential to eating healthy on a budget.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I don't personally have a huge shopping budget, and there's no way I could afford to buy the produce to eat freshly cooked meals every day. Not a chance. It's just way too expensive and I cannot justify it.

As a result I tend to buy a lot of micro meals, but I only buy meals that suit my calorie budget too. When you can pay as little as £1 for a meal, its a lot more pocket friendly for those of us on a budget.

So yeah, imo..just because you are poor doesnt mean you HAVE to be overwight. I understand people might not be able to afford a home cooked balanced meal every day and its easier sometimes just to buy whatever you are able to. For me it's still about thinking about what you are eating but within your budget.

You can have a healthy diet without eating "fresh produce" every day.