Crossfit a Load of Shizzdoodles

Options

Replies

• Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    And one more thing...since we are chatting about being uncomfortable in the gym....anytime you push yourself to do something hard you are going to be uncomfortable.

Even though I had been CrossFitting for 8 months to specifically prepare for the Tough Mudder, I still freaked out right before it started. It took a lot to not turn around and run away.

Now I've been CrossFitting for a year. I just signed up for the CrossFit open. I'm freaking out! It's scary, I'm going to have to scale it and I'm no where near as strong as some of my box's competitors, let alone all those in the world. But, f&ck it. Embarrassment fades - this is going to make me better in the long run and that's all I care about...

So, just know, everyone has their goals that they are working hard to obtain. In my book, that leaves very little time to judge.

Best of luck to you Paige
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    And one more thing...since we are chatting about being uncomfortable in the gym....anytime you push yourself to do something hard you are going to be uncomfortable.

Even though I had been CrossFitting for 8 months to specifically prepare for the Tough Mudder, I still freaked out right before it started. It took a lot to not turn around and run away.

Now I've been CrossFitting for a year. I just signed up for the CrossFit open. I'm freaking out! It's scary, I'm going to have to scale it and I'm no where near as strong as some of my box's competitors, let alone all those in the world. But, f&ck it. Embarrassment fades - this is going to make me better in the long run and that's all I care about...

So, just know, everyone has their goals that they are working hard to obtain. In my book, that leaves very little time to judge.

that's awesome... I was considering doing something like that- except- well I don't cross fit LOL- but I like the idea of it.

I walked away from a power lift meet recently for various reasons- but I'm really sad I didn't- even if you aren't ready- it's still good to just go for it- seriously- the best thing is experience- experience and knowledge chase away fear and doubt- so just doing the thing- even if you aren't 'competitive' is worth the experience alone to allow yourself to gain confidence. No pressure- just go and do.

Very cool of you!!! :D

Thank you so much! I'm sure you'll rock the next meet.:flowerforyou:
  • PRMinx
    Options

Best of luck to you Paige

Thank you! I'm proud of my whole box. We are the 9th largest affiliate team participating! Since pretty much the whole community is doing it together, I think it will be fun had by all.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    seems like most people's issues are about the price. haters gonna hate. not everyone has issues paying $200 a month :wink:

i used to do crossfit and probably still would be a member of that box if a)they didnt move to a location that's a little bit harder to get to and b)the class times weren't so inconvenient for people who work. the second point is really the main reason i cancelled because i'm like yeah ok i'm fine to pay the $200 to work out in a group atmosphere and chat up hot men between sets and tell my trainers to STFU about paleo but im not independently wealthy and have to work for da man to be able to pay.

I'm convinced that the Crossfit boxes in my area don't care about 9 to 5 workers. That is NOT their market because avg 9 to 5'rs can't afford it. So, their classes are at times when more wealthy independent people can go. Not at 6am, but, at 9am, for example. Not at 7pm, but at 4pm, for example. I think it's on purpose. And, when I went to talk to them, they very strongly emphasized the price and asked a couple times if I was able to commit to it. They asked what I do, as well. It was around $180/mo, but it varies a lot depending on how many times a week you go.

Mostly, what turns me off is not the price, but the class schedules. I mistakenly thought that classes were optional and that you could just go there and workout on your own, if you wanted. NO, no, no. You cannot. Since I don't like classes, since, I just like to do my own thing when I want to do it, since the class times don't jive with my schedule, and since I really don't want to spend $180/mo for my purposes, I decide that the Crossfit way of life isn't for me. Plus, every time they say Paleo, I would just laugh. So, there's that.

some boxes will let you go in whenever BUT that seems to be only for the people who are pretty advanced in it and who are competing and potentially bringing glory to the box :laugh:

i dunno if i'm going to work out on my own i can do that at my regular gym that also has a sauna, steam room, outdoor heated pool as well as oly bars and power cages but is lest than half the price.

and yeah the paleo thing was annoying. for the few months i did it, i couldnt say anything negative about my workout or else it would be blamed on the fact that i wasnt eating paleo. not able to do a pull up yet? well that was because i wasnt eating paleo a not because i was 80+ pounds overweight :laugh:
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I don't like the risk of injury/rhabdo if you have a bad trainer, I know there are good trainers out there, but it seems like maybe crossfit should have more stringent rules to pass before you can officially represent their brand, since it is a highly dangerous sport if you don't know what you are doing.

I don't like the cost, whether people can afford it or not isn't the issue to me, I still think its a rip off, and I wouldn't pay that even if I won the lotto lol

I don't like how many people get a bit cult like about it.

I don't like kipping pull ups.

Other than that, i think it looks quite fun. And even if I didn't, doesn't mean other people don't.
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    As an amateur powerlifter, I did Crossfit for a few weeks, and when I went back to doing my regular programming, my strength had decreased.
    Volume based endurance work is all fine and dandy if that's your goal, but it's not exactly conducive towards bodybuilding OR strength training, it's kind of its own thing.
    It's also why I don't exactly get why people consider it such a "hardcore" separation in the fitness world. My friend does nothing but Crossfit, and he'll sling around lighter weight for an hour, but as soon as he tries to perform my split with me he has to go home after my deadlift sets and couldn't do the rest of my back day.
    He can do 10 reps of 10 sets of 175lb on the deadlift, but as soon as he tries to go 5 for 5 on regular programming with weights approach 300lb, he just can't do it, even with more than adequate rest between spots. Meanwhile I'm pulling 500lbs at 155lb after 8 months of lifting (half the time he's spent doing Crossfit) because my programming has a tangible goal that goes beyond just "fitness" or "doing a lot of a motion."

It's funny how people find unique ways to try and fry their CNS in a workout, and Crossfit is the most confusing to me because it absolutely doesn't accomplish any sort of goal besides being "fit" and the socialization aspect of it, so it's very much like a cult, and it's interesting to see how obsessive the community has become with the endurance aspect of it because it's literally the only place where Crossfit excels, and in that case, rowers and other endurance athletes are still significantly more impressive.

Crossfit is sort of the everyman's attempt to feel athletic, it's also a place for the unspectacular to feel spectacular. People who don't have fantastic genetics can go to a Crossfit meet and still feel special because they did some high volume work.

It's really a fad that's going to die off soon, the most amusing part to me is that extreme circuit training is nothing new, it's been around for ages. Crossfit is just the newest commercialized incarnation where you pay an outrageous amount of money to go to a gym with a coach who is likely put through the least stringent certification known to man and a bunch of people perform circuit training they could easily do in the gym themselves.
    Also, I don't care what anyone says, performing high volume work at high intensity when you are just starting out is screaming for injury. There are plenty of Crossfit coaches that are actually competent and ease people into the routine with a few weeks (months preferably) of lighter strength based work, but from my experience, the vast majority of coaches feed off the cultish need to perform excessively and most of these groups are fixated on trying to be as "hardcore" as possible with no tangible goals or understanding of fitness or lifting.

It's not Crossfit itself, it's the nature of commercialized lifting programs. There's such a incredible desire for people to feel exceptional that they partake in iffy programming like circuit training in order to beat their own genetics, their own failings that they've experienced previously in their life when it comes to fitness, when that's the totally wrong mindset in the first place. People are too concerned with looking impressive to others that they're willing to waste money in order to say "I do Crossfit."
    To belong, to be a part of the cargo cult, to be a part of the inconsistent yet somehow connected branched world of branded fitness.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    seems like most people's issues are about the price. haters gonna hate. not everyone has issues paying $200 a month :wink:

i used to do crossfit and probably still would be a member of that box if a)they didnt move to a location that's a little bit harder to get to and b)the class times weren't so inconvenient for people who work. the second point is really the main reason i cancelled because i'm like yeah ok i'm fine to pay the $200 to work out in a group atmosphere and chat up hot men between sets and tell my trainers to STFU about paleo but im not independently wealthy and have to work for da man to be able to pay.

I'm convinced that the Crossfit boxes in my area don't care about 9 to 5 workers. That is NOT their market because avg 9 to 5'rs can't afford it. So, their classes are at times when more wealthy independent people can go. Not at 6am, but, at 9am, for example. Not at 7pm, but at 4pm, for example. I think it's on purpose. And, when I went to talk to them, they very strongly emphasized the price and asked a couple times if I was able to commit to it. They asked what I do, as well. It was around $180/mo, but it varies a lot depending on how many times a week you go.

Mostly, what turns me off is not the price, but the class schedules. I mistakenly thought that classes were optional and that you could just go there and workout on your own, if you wanted. NO, no, no. You cannot. Since I don't like classes, since, I just like to do my own thing when I want to do it, since the class times don't jive with my schedule, and since I really don't want to spend $180/mo for my purposes, I decide that the Crossfit way of life isn't for me. Plus, every time they say Paleo, I would just laugh. So, there's that.

some boxes will let you go in whenever BUT that seems to be only for the people who are pretty advanced in it and who are competing and potentially bringing glory to the box :laugh:

i dunno if i'm going to work out on my own i can do that at my regular gym that also has a sauna, steam room, outdoor heated pool as well as oly bars and power cages but is lest than half the price.

and yeah the paleo thing was annoying. for the few months i did it, i couldnt say anything negative about my workout or else it would be blamed on the fact that i wasnt eating paleo. not able to do a pull up yet? well that was because i wasnt eating paleo a not because i was 80+ pounds overweight :laugh:

My old gym would let me as long as I was at the unlimited level...

...and I was nowhere near bringing anything even remotely resembling glory to them. In fact, now that I think about it, they might have wanted me there just for the entertainment factor.

*shrug*

Still, rubber floors and bumper plates. I'm okay with those terms.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I cant wait to see if people will completely rip into me about this,

But seriously, who thinks Crossfit is one of the silliest, albeit most hilarious, things to enter the fitness world recently?!?!
    Crossfit in and of itself is a great idea, but…the price is a bunch of hoo haa.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    As an amateur powerlifter, I did Crossfit for a few weeks, and when I went back to doing my regular programming, my strength had decreased.
    Volume based endurance work is all fine and dandy if that's your goal, but it's not exactly conducive towards bodybuilding OR strength training, it's kind of its own thing.
    It's also why I don't exactly get why people consider it such a "hardcore" separation in the fitness world. My friend does nothing but Crossfit, and he'll sling around lighter weight for an hour, but as soon as he tries to perform my split with me he has to go home after my deadlift sets and couldn't do the rest of my back day.
    He can do 10 reps of 10 sets of 175lb on the deadlift, but as soon as he tries to go 5 for 5 on regular programming with weights approach 300lb, he just can't do it, even with more than adequate rest between spots. Meanwhile I'm pulling 500lbs at 155lb after 8 months of lifting (half the time he's spent doing Crossfit) because my programming has a tangible goal that goes beyond just "fitness" or "doing a lot of a motion."

It's funny how people find unique ways to try and fry their CNS in a workout, and Crossfit is the most confusing to me because it absolutely doesn't accomplish any sort of goal besides being "fit" and the socialization aspect of it, so it's very much like a cult, and it's interesting to see how obsessive the community has become with the endurance aspect of it because it's literally the only place where Crossfit excels, and in that case, rowers and other endurance athletes are still significantly more impressive.

Crossfit is sort of the everyman's attempt to feel athletic, it's also a place for the unspectacular to feel spectacular. People who don't have fantastic genetics can go to a Crossfit meet and still feel special because they did some high volume work.

It's really a fad that's going to die off soon, the most amusing part to me is that extreme circuit training is nothing new, it's been around for ages. Crossfit is just the newest commercialized incarnation where you pay an outrageous amount of money to go to a gym with a coach who is likely put through the least stringent certification known to man and a bunch of people perform circuit training they could easily do in the gym themselves.
    Also, I don't care what anyone says, performing high volume work at high intensity when you are just starting out is screaming for injury. There are plenty of Crossfit coaches that are actually competent and ease people into the routine with a few weeks (months preferably) of lighter strength based work, but from my experience, the vast majority of coaches feed off the cultish need to perform excessively and most of these groups are fixated on trying to be as "hardcore" as possible with no tangible goals or understanding of fitness or lifting.

It's not Crossfit itself, it's the nature of commercialized lifting programs. There's such a incredible desire for people to feel exceptional that they partake in iffy programming like circuit training in order to beat their own genetics, their own failings that they've experienced previously in their life when it comes to fitness, when that's the totally wrong mindset in the first place. People are too concerned with looking impressive to others that they're willing to waste money in order to say "I do Crossfit."
    To belong, to be a part of the cargo cult, to be a part of the inconsistent yet somehow connected branched world of branded fitness.

Ugh, way to generalize people in the most obnoxious way. Unfortunately, there's actually some decent points in your post (I agree with Guitar Jerry) but your condescending tone and know-it-all attitude mutes it all. You don't know me. You don't know why I chose CrossFit and you definitely don't know what it's done for me personally on a physical and a social level.

What's the sense in exercise shaming? Seriously, what does this attitude do for you? You are cherry picking the absolute worst of the stereotypes and applying them to the group as a whole. Lame.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Ugh, way to generalize people in the most obnoxious way. Unfortunately, there's actually some decent points in your post (I agree with Guitar Jerry) but your condescending tone and know-it-all attitude mutes it all. You don't know me. You don't know why I chose CrossFit and you definitely don't know what it's done for me personally on a physical and a social level.

What's the sense in exercise shaming? Seriously, what does this attitude do for you? You are cherry picking the absolute worst of the stereotypes and applying them to the group as a whole. Lame.

Well said Paige.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I cant wait to see if people will completely rip into me about this,

But seriously, who thinks Crossfit is one of the silliest, albeit most hilarious, things to enter the fitness world recently?!?!
    Crossfit in and of itself is a great idea, but…the price is a bunch of hoo haa.

I thought a hoo ha was a ...... never mind.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's probably already been said (I can't be arsed to read the whole thread) but olympic lifting was slowly dying out before Crossfit made it trendy again. So there's that.

Also, it's not really a training modality as much as it's a kind of sporting activity. If you start thinking about it in these terms as opposed to how it made your "big 3" backslide and turned you weak as a kitten, you'll probably be happier. Crossfitting makes you better at crossfitting in the same way as playing 5-a-side once a week would keep my footie skills sharp.

Thirdly, it's a franchise. How good a franchise is can probably be judged by the homogeneity of it's outlets. Sure there's some fine boxes/coaches out there. There's also a lot of s***. I can walk in off the street to any McDonalds and the burger will taste how I expect it to, whether I'm in Bude, Birmingham or Bedford - that's how you structure a franchise. Crossfit has a lot of work to do on this front.

So is it all good or bad? Not really. Just like a lot of things in life. It's shades of grey.
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options

I see a lot of exercise shaming on MFP and it's sad. People should do what they like and what they stick with regardless of what it is.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You kind of hit on it. Crossfit is a sport, not a workout program or exercise. It's a sport. As soon as you think about it that way, everything you said falls into place and makes sense.

indeed. nailed it but I don't understand why poster doesn't

of course he isn't going to be able to do the power lifting workout- he isn't a power lifter.

same way if you try try his workout- you aren't going to do well- you don't train for it. I don't understand how this doesn't make sense- the first sentences sum it up- it's it's own thing.

Sprinters don't train for power lifting- body builders don't do long marathon runs.

It's the same thing. It's not your thing don't do it.

I agree- I feel like it's not a training program- it's a thing to do- and people love doing it- it's not my thing- and I make a clear point that I'm NOT a cross-fitter. I train. It's different. And I do have some negative opinions about it- but I think it's great men and women are getting out there and doing real bb training power/oly style. That's really kind of cool. Is it the best thing ever? nope. is it for everyone? nope- but it's still not a BAD thing.
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's not silly, but I'm turned off at the price considering they don't have expensive machines and equipment and I've only ever found them in industrial sections or old garages in scuzzy neighbourhoods.

And I'm sorry but you're paying for group classes, not individual training. Not hating on it, do what you like but I don't see the benefit for the cost here.

totally agree....way overpriced for something that isn't even individual training sessions.
    Crazy.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I see a lot of exercise shaming on MFP and it's sad. People should do what they like and what they stick with regardless of what it is.

...and never ever share their opinion on it with anyone...ever.

(Oh, wait. That would be boring.)
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    It's not silly, but I'm turned off at the price considering they don't have expensive machines and equipment and I've only ever found them in industrial sections or old garages in scuzzy neighbourhoods.

And I'm sorry but you're paying for group classes, not individual training. Not hating on it, do what you like but I don't see the benefit for the cost here.

totally agree....way overpriced for something that isn't even individual training sessions.
    Crazy.

Have you ever actually taken a single crossfit class? Or are you basing this on the accounts of others?
  • PRMinx
    Options

Crazy.

It totally depends on the gym to be honest. I get a lot of individual attention at my gym. We always have two, sometimes 3, trainers on the floor. Plus, in the strength portion of the class they definitely make a point walk around to everyone to check in and help out with form, weight, etc. If I come for an open gym, I can almost always grab one of the trainers for individual attention. So, to me, it's worth it.

My box also offers regular WODs, competition classes, Oly lifting classes, yoga classes, mobility classes, heavy bag kickboxing and self defense classes and RivFit (a WOD without weights). That's a lot of bang for the buck.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Crazy.

Have you ever actually taken a single crossfit class? Or are you basing this on the accounts of others?

Full disclosure: I let the things I had heard about crossfit keep me from seriously considering it for many years...until my chriopractor finally pointed out that he had treated me fairly consistently for stupid stuff I had done to myself, so why did I think crossfit would be any more dangerous? I signed up the next week and found that the rumors I had heard had been greatly exaggerated...and by that, I mean, most of them were absolute lies.

TL;DR - never be a gullible lemming.