FDA redesigns nutrition panel

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I don't get this. I'm not American, so please forgive me if it is obvious! But I have to ask, because I've been trying to understand for a long time. Why isn't the focal point values pr 100 grams, wouldn't it make comparing different items easier? The serving size is what the user - or, the manufacturer - decides, or is it standardized in any way? And how do you use the %DV numbers, not that everybody is on a 2000 calories diet at all time...?

Because no one knows what 100g is.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Pros: Tries to make it more obvious that the information is for A SERVING and not the whole damned container. Includes Vitamin D and potassium. Finally stops bothering people with the "Calories from fat" nonsense.

Cons: The percentages on the left make me twitchy. Protein is not at the top where it belongs.

It has always been obvious that it was for a serving and serving size was always listed, people just have to read it. And calories from fat are relevant to some people.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    The only complaint I have is... I would really like to see them put the caloric count for the whole package if there is more than one serving in it... granted I myself, may enter it into MFP and know... but it's not that hard to put back a box of mac and cheese all by one's self... even I can do that if I'm hungry enough.... or what about a can of pringles... it's not hard to knock one of those back either... and they have more than one serving in it.

cals per serving times serving per container.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/new-fda-nutrition-labels-may-change-your-food-2014-02-27?link=MW_home_latest_news
    But it could also have a darker side. Ronald Bazar, author of “Your Perfect Diet” thinks that “the food biz will do what it can to maintain sales, so no doubt the effect could be smaller sizes and the same price.” Indeed, the new labeling could cost the food industry an estimated $2 billion to carry out, so they have an extra incentive to maintain profit margins.

And they will do what they need to do to maintain profit margins.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    I don't get this. I'm not American, so please forgive me if it is obvious! But I have to ask, because I've been trying to understand for a long time. Why isn't the focal point values pr 100 grams, wouldn't it make comparing different items easier? The serving size is what the user - or, the manufacturer - decides, or is it standardized in any way? And how do you use the %DV numbers, not that everybody is on a 2000 calories diet at all time...?

The simple answer is... for no good reason! I WISH they just did things per 100 grams so it'd make everything easy, but we have a weird phobia of the metric system here. :ohwell:

I wish they did too. I especially hate when cereals are different serving sizes on different boxes.
    Not only that, but every grocery store I've been in has those "unit cost" labels but they never use the same units for anything. So the medium sized box of cereal is listed as "16.3¢ per ounce" and the large box of the same brand is listed as "$2.28 per pound."
  • Great move to replace vitamin C and vitamin A with iron and potassium! Since when did we ever have to worry about those first two in the great old U S of A
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Yes! I am definitely happiest about the requirement for potassium. :drinker:

Same here!
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    What I like
    - Potassium amount is mandatory
    - Vitamin D amount is mandatory
    - Added Sugars denoted
    - Fat Calories no longer called out that would give the impression that fat=bad.
    - Font changes that highlight calorie count and %DV.
    - The table at the bottom based on 2000 and 2500 calories per day goes away. This is nearly useless

what I don't like
    - Implication that non-Added Sugars is "OK".
    - Still rounding to nearest 5 calories, which is stupid for things like artificial sweeteners, which influence diet drinks
    - I wish it incorporated kJ and kcal energy amounts.
  • Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member
    What I like
    - Potassium amount is mandatory
    - Vitamin D amount is mandatory
    - Added Sugars denoted
    - Fat Calories no longer called out that would give the impression that fat=bad.
    - Font changes that highlight calorie count and %DV.
    - The table at the bottom based on 2000 and 2500 calories per day goes away. This is nearly useless

what I don't like
    - Implication that non-Added Sugars is "OK".
    - Still rounding to nearest 5 calories, which is stupid for things like artificial sweeteners, which influence diet drinks
    - I wish it incorporated kJ and kcal energy amounts.

I agree on all of your Pros, but I don't think the sugar/added sugar distinction gives any implication that a particular kind of sugar is "ok" any more than listing fat, carbs, sodium, etc. implies that they are "ok" or "not okay." There is enough difference of opinion on what is optimal/good/okay for these things, that it makes sense to make the distinction.

Personally, I'm fine with the 15 g of sugar in my cup of grapes, because of the benefits of grapes for my digestion, but I wouldn't be wise to choose with a drink or processed food that included the same proportion of added sugar. Not that I never eat sugary things (mmm...chocolate truffles), but I want to be more aware of added vs. not.

I also have trouble getting enough Vitamin A. I'm concerned that they are removing it from requirements, because if MFP removes it from the database/tracking, then I will have to do it by hand.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Approved !
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Disagree. It will take me a while to get used to it. :ohwell:

ETA: not to mention increasing food costs even more...

Costs??

Right. They will have to redesign labels. You think the money fairy is paying for it?

The fda designed it. Food companies redesign packages constantly. This is more than negligible in terms of cost, and it gives more info.

Yes and another step in the direction of education.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Does anyone know when everything will take effect ?
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    I think the the alternate design that is also out there is even better (the one on the far right):

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2014/02/27/nutrition-label/bdeaa8c0dff25a8ff9881066ac063a65074cb971/nutrition-label-artboard_2.png

A much better arrangement for how the label is used.

- Energy details
    - Items people watch to avoid too much of
    - Items people watch to avoid too little of

Just wish there was a way to highlight protein. In my personal utopia protein:calorie ratio would be listed. By far the best measure of "clean" and "junk" (despite my hatred for the terms/concepts).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    In my personal utopia protein:calorie ratio would be listed. By far the best measure of "clean" and "junk" (despite my hatred for the terms/concepts).

That ratio - plus the $:protein ratio (lol) - is what I look for too.

And thank you everyone for your answers, I like to think that my concerns weren't totally off, haha. Not that it's funny, because confusion does make it harder to make an informed decicion and can add to the rise in obesity.

In Norway, we have the corresponding "green keyhole" http://www.nokkelhullsmerket.no/frontpage_en/?spraak=en to guide the costumers to the most healthy alternatives. I dislike it a lot, because "healthy" is such a complex term, and YMMV! In many cases, only the most expensive (brand) products gets the keyhole, most produce doesn't have it, and a few grams of fat may disqualify a product. Almost as confusing as your nutrition panel!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I think the the alternate design that is also out there is even better (the one on the far right):

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2014/02/27/nutrition-label/bdeaa8c0dff25a8ff9881066ac063a65074cb971/nutrition-label-artboard_2.png

A much better arrangement for how the label is used.

- Energy details
    - Items people watch to avoid too much of
    - Items people watch to avoid too little of

Just wish there was a way to highlight protein. In my personal utopia protein:calorie ratio would be listed. By far the best measure of "clean" and "junk" (despite my hatred for the terms/concepts).
    Oooh, I do like the alternate design.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

The simple answer is... for no good reason! I WISH they just did things per 100 grams so it'd make everything easy, but we have a weird phobia of the metric system here. :ohwell:

I wish they did too. I especially hate when cereals are different serving sizes on different boxes.
    Not only that, but every grocery store I've been in has those "unit cost" labels but they never use the same units for anything. So the medium sized box of cereal is listed as "16.3¢ per ounce" and the large box of the same brand is listed as "$2.28 per pound."
    No kidding. But, if you could do direct comparisons, you could easily see which one was cheaper, and then they wouldn't be taking more of your monies...
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Although I approve of most of the changes, esp. the potassium addition, I don't think that this is going to help the obesity problem. Those who are obese and are not watching their intake are not going to read the label for the food that they are going to eat. This change will only help those who are interested in changing their eating habits.
  • kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    Here is my only real issue about the redesign:

Putting percentages first is out of context for everyone.

As a teacher of technical writing I am always telling my students that people need to know the main idea before we give them details. The "what" is the main idea here. What does this product contain that is good for me (or bad for me)?

We all like the information about total number of calories a serving and serving size at the top and easy to read because this is main idea: if we eat 1/4 a cup of trail mix it will be 160 calories. Why many of us don't like the left column with percentages is because it does not follow the rules.

Good technical writing theory would state that the most important information should come first, starting with what. So calories and serving size should obviously be first. What is next, if we do it by what people value, is going to be debated. However, if you go by FDA suggestions it should be carbohydrate, fat and protein information followed by nutrients our bodies need, and then at the end things we need to limit.

This suggestion would put salt and sugar at the very bottom of the panel making it easy to find. Generally speaking I will not put back an item for not containing enough of a vitamin or mineral but I will put it back for having too much salt, sugar or trans fat.

While, I can deal with whatever package design they throw at me and applaud the bigger font size (my husband often can't read box labels and it will be handy for him), it will be mildly depressing if I can use labels as an example in class of what not to do.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member

Costs??

Right. They will have to redesign labels. You think the money fairy is paying for it?

The fda designed it. Food companies redesign packages constantly. This is more than negligible in terms of cost, and it gives more info.

Right, because $2 billion dollars is nothing. Food isn't expensive. These aren't the droids you're looking for.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member

Costs??

Right, because $2 billions dollars is nothing. Food isn't expensive. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Wendy... these changes don't take effect for two years. There is plenty of time for corporations to make adjustments in the capital expenditure to accomodate this change. I'm not saying it won't cost anything, but it's not as devastating as you might think. From an operations standpoint, it will be a bit of pain, but like was previously mentioned, package redesigns aren't unheard of, and therefore, not something they can't deal with. It's not like they have to roll out new nutrition panels next week. Now THAT would cost a fortune!