December Weight Loss Challenge

Options

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,384 Member
    Options
    When I saw that I actually said 20 pounds I wanted to change mines, but I am going to stick with it! I really do want to be under 350 by January 1st if it kills me!

Mollie, I had the same thought when I saw my goal was 16lbs, but like you, I want to be 300 or less by January 1st. I'd be exstatic if I was 299, that would make my New Year. :drinker:

We can do it Carleen!! Just have to stay focused. Today was a good day so far. Day time is always pretty structured for me. It is after work that the hard part starts!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    On the late night eating, I have given up trying not to eat anything. I also make sure if I snack it is low cal and low fat. Preferably veggies or fruit. Another favorite of mines for late night is Sugar Free Fudge sicles. 40 calories for one and 80 for two!

Have a good weekend everyone! Remember Wednesday will be here before you know so get in those good workouts this weekend!
  • umfan85
    umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    So yesterday was going alright. I was eating very well and I worked hard at ultimate frisbee practice. But then I went to our weekly cake party where everyone grabs a fork and devours the cake right out of the cake pan. It's really fun, but not when you're sick or trying to lose weight! The cake was the best I've ever seen, so I kind of went overboard...And then when I got home I even ate some more snacks! I was just thinking, well this day is already ruined so why not eat some more? Ughhh. I tend to do this a lot. Does anyone have any tips for night snacking? I would really appreciate any suggestions!

The afternoons at work and later at night are the worst for me. I try to just not have snacks available to me at work. I have granola bars, and sometimes fiber bars for a snack and that seems to be ok.

At home I have the same problem as you. I find that if I'm busy I don't snack as much, but I'm lazy and just wanna chill half the time. So, I TRY to go for healthier snacks and/or just avoid it. It doesn't work so well half the time. I'd like to know more tips as well if anyone has any others. Maybe some drink options that will curb the 'wanting more' feeling??

I curb my snack cravings by just not having them available to eat. The few I do are yogurt and fruits. That way if I do crack I'm at least eating healthy.

I completely agree with this statement, I have found that the absolute best way for me to avoid terrible snacking is to just not have it around. I don't buy big bags of chips, if I want some, I go out and buy a individual snack sized bag, same thing with candy. This has helped me tremendously.
  • Depplover28
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips everyone! I'll definitely start using them right away :]
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I am pretty happy with how things have been going. I have been exercising a lot and eating better (most days). I've had three times when cookies were set out for me to take one and I resisted the urge and haven't had one (huge for me). I don't know if I'll lose any weight this week but I feel good about what I have done (and haven't given in to this week at least.
  • pankajmadaan
    Options
    Count me in,

Starting weight on 12/5/2010: 194.2
    Anticipated decrease on 12/31: 188 lbs
    Eventual goal 165 lbs
  • charyvonne
    Options
    I hope it's not too late to do this! :D I actually thought of this challenge on November 30 and I was going to weigh myself every Wednesday by myself, so it's great to see a group that's doing it as well!

Name: Char
    Starting Weight: 256
    Goal Weight by December 31, 2010: 246
    What you will do to get to that goal weight: Work out 6 days a week, watch what I eat, and stay under my calorie goal.
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I bought an elliptical on Thursday and spent a couple of evenings assembling. So now I'm all set for a big exercise push this week. It is a tough machine and I'm looking forward to using it most days.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I am pretty happy with how things have been going. I have been exercising a lot and eating better (most days). I've had three times when cookies were set out for me to take one and I resisted the urge and haven't had one (huge for me). I don't know if I'll lose any weight this week but I feel good about what I have done (and haven't given in to this week at least.

Good for you!!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I would love to join I need a challenge and motivation < I have been doing really well. But it is harder during the holidays.Together we can do this

Name: themommie aka sheri
    Starting Weight: 217
    Goal Weight by December 31, 2010: 207
    What you will do to get to that goal weight: exercise 5xs a week, stay within my calories, drink my water, and log in daily for motivation
  • ironmule2042
    Options
    I had a tough weekend and ate too much. I went to a friends Christmas/Birthday party and I gave it and ate the sweets available. :-\

I'm getting back on track today damnit! I'll be playing racquetball this afternoon and I'll be much more careful about my food. I need to get back to my plan.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I lost 1.6 lbs this week. I'm happy with that start. I stayed within all my goals (except I did have a few too many ginger snaps one day). I walked/ran 5 times this week and exercised at home 4 nights and ate healthier over all. This next two week's food will be a challenge since I'll be eating out of the freezer and pantry (hopefully I'll be able to afford some fresh veggies). Are we supposed to set new goals each week?
  • whitneyrenae
    whitneyrenae Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I lost 1.6 lbs this week. I'm happy with that start. I stayed within all my goals (except I did have a few too many ginger snaps one day). I walked/ran 5 times this week and exercised at home 4 nights and ate healthier over all. This next two week's food will be a challenge since I'll be eating out of the freezer and pantry (hopefully I'll be able to afford some fresh veggies). Are we supposed to set new goals each week?

Hi there. You can set a new goal every week if you would like, but as far as our group goes we all just we supposed to set a goal of what we want to loose by December 31st. Great job on the weight loss!!!! I just keeping imagining a picture of the scales in front of me... and seeing a higher number makes my body do a 180 and walk away from the sweets. We can do this... good luck!!!
  • whitneyrenae
    whitneyrenae Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had a tough weekend and ate too much. I went to a friends Christmas/Birthday party and I gave it and ate the sweets available. :-\

I'm getting back on track today damnit! I'll be playing racquetball this afternoon and I'll be much more careful about my food. I need to get back to my plan.

Well the important thing is that you are getting back on track today!! When you go to parties just take a snack with you.... carrot sticks or even a lowfat granola bar would be better than most sweets available at birthday or christmas parties. You can do this..... we all can!!! Good luck to you. My motivation is remember that we are weighing in on Wednesday... now only two days away.... eeehhhhh. Im nervous. Hope you have a better week.... and weekend!! :-)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Had a tough few days last week - Thurs/Fri/Sat I didn't get any exercising in, and for some reason when I don't exercise I find it much harder not to control my snacking... I think it's a mental thing. The exercising keeps me "in tune" with my goals. Anyways, I did a major gym workout on Sunday and then went grocery shopping - my breakfasts/lunches/snacks are all planned for this week, so I should have no excuses! I even said no to a pizza dinner last night - someone in my house threw one in for a quick/easy dinner, but I decided to make some quinoa, salad and chicken instead. Delicious!

I know our weigh in day isn't until Wednesday (I'm assuming, since we started on a Wednesday), but I took a peek at the scale and I'm holding steady at the same weight I started at last week. Hoping if I do really well today and tomorrow I'll see a small loss for the 1st week of the challenge...
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options

Congrats on weight loss!! Regarding the rules of the challenge check out the instructions at the beginning of the thread.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Had a tough few days last week - Thurs/Fri/Sat I didn't get any exercising in, and for some reason when I don't exercise I find it much harder not to control my snacking... I think it's a mental thing. The exercising keeps me "in tune" with my goals. Anyways, I did a major gym workout on Sunday and then went grocery shopping - my breakfasts/lunches/snacks are all planned for this week, so I should have no excuses! I even said no to a pizza dinner last night - someone in my house threw one in for a quick/easy dinner, but I decided to make some quinoa, salad and chicken instead. Delicious!

I know our weigh in day isn't until Wednesday (I'm assuming, since we started on a Wednesday), but I took a peek at the scale and I'm holding steady at the same weight I started at last week. Hoping if I do really well today and tomorrow I'll see a small loss for the 1st week of the challenge...

Trenton,

I find the same is true for me regarding exercising and staying focused. Exercising helps me stay focused mentally also and I weigh more than once a week anyways, but will be checking in on Wednesday's. I am down so far myself and hope to be down a little more this week. I could not get up this morning for my workout so I will walk at lunch time for at least 30 to 40 min. I am surprised I am down as much since I had a rocky start eating wise also.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Pinstripepirate:
    Congrats on 1 pound down!!

Maria,
    You are right 2 pounds up is not much and probably water and/or sodium! Could be worst and I know about those binges and the weekends are especially hard when it comes to overeating or binging. Hang in there and forget about it. Today is a new day.

Robin,
    Good planning and I love Lean Cusines for quickes or emergencies. I have cut back on them but they are yummy and better than any fast food out there. Can you ask him to hide the candy dish when you come over? Keep up the good work!

Everyone have a good week!!
  • katecampbell03
    Options
    Help! I am in desprate need of chocolate. I need support!!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Help! I am in desprate need of chocolate. I need support!!!

Can you find something somewhat healthy to satisfy your chocolate craving? No-sugar added hot chocolate, a snack pack of chocolate pudding, a small piece of dark chocolate or something like that? I personally try to incorporate fairly regular treats like that into my food plans, because it really helps to keep me on track.