Ok to count other drinks towards water goal?

Options

Replies

• sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I only count Crystal Light towards my water intake for the day. Most days I don't need it. However, sometimes I need the flavor.

We can find water in just about everything including soda, so it's a slippery slope to start counting thing like soda, juices, etc.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I only count Crystal Light towards my water intake for the day. Most days I don't need it. However, sometimes I need the flavor.

We can find water in just about everything including soda, so it's a slippery slope to start counting thing like soda, juices, etc.
    No. It's not a slippery slope. The OP asked if it counts towards water intake. It does. End of story. The point is to stay hydrated.
    Of course you should book the calories if it has any (like milk or soda) but it still can be logged as water intake.
    I don't get why people can't understand this. More people should study a little chemistry and biology.
  • averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    So the little girl that died of water intoxication last month after being forced to drink 2.5 liters of soda actually died from.....?????
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    well I drink my coffee and tea without milk or sugar - coffee I think has about 2 cals and tea has 0 - so why not?

I don't actually log any of them as water but I don't really see a problem with it.

The whole point of the water intake is hydration - adding them to your water intake doesn't really matter but I would also enter the calories for drinks such as juice and the hot drinks if they are sweetened and with milk or cream
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Since a person's need for hydration varies according to their physiology, the climate they live in, and the activities they perform it's silly to count water in the first place. Whatever arbitrary number you're trying to hit may be completely inappropriate for you. Just consume enough to keep your urine a pale yellow color.

Plus you completely avoid this "can I count coffee, tea, etc" discussion. (Although the answer to that question is "yes". Even fruit and vegetables contribute to your hydration.)
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options

No. It's not a slippery slope. The OP asked if it counts towards water intake. It does. End of story. The point is to stay hydrated.
    Of course you should book the calories if it has any (like milk or soda) but it still can be logged as water intake.
    I don't get why people can't understand this. More people should study a little chemistry and biology.

No.. what more people should do is stop being so condescending. A slippery slope is not a cliff. Perhaps more people should study physics in order to understand what happens on a slippery slope. It's a gradual decline, meaning where does it end? Sound like you are saying that if I eat chili that was made with a broth, then I can count that as water. If I have a bowl of cereal, then count it as water. At some point, yes, it's a gradual decline, a slippery slope. Fruits are an excellent source of water! Watermelon is comprised of 90% water. Let me guess.. you count that, too, right? ;)
  • saraslagle
    saraslagle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Coffee and tea have water, but normally juice (not from concentrated would not contain water.
  • saraslagle
    saraslagle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's a good rule of thumb to check your water intake daily. I tend to forget to drink often. At the end of the day I realize it and can be in big trouble during the night due to leg cramps and also the next day, because my body then tries to conserve water and I end up being bloated.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options
    Somepeople.com
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I get water is a part of these things ...it just seems silly to me to count it as pure water :S

Because...? If I measure out two cups of water it's still two cups of water no matter what I mix in. It's just flavored.

I mean, if I eat protein powder and chase it with water that's fine to count but if I mix them in a cup it doesn't count? Why?

So you are pretty much saying everything that has water in it counts? So since soda is carbonated water with high fructose corn syrup in it,, it still counts as water? Juice with water in it is water. So theoretically you never really have to drink plain water cause everything that is liquid is water?...... ok thanks for the info :huh:

You are partly correct; however, if your soda, tea, vodka, etc has calories, you also need to log them as calories in addition to adding them to your total "water" intake. Those calories can add up and are "empty calories" if they are not a healthy drink like a protein shake, milk, etc. Water is better for your liver and all over well being. Drink filtered if you can... you never know what's in tap water these days.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...for the amazingly destructive powers of caffeine and sugar.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I get water is a part of these things ...it just seems silly to me to count it as pure water :S

Because...? If I measure out two cups of water it's still two cups of water no matter what I mix in. It's just flavored.

I mean, if I eat protein powder and chase it with water that's fine to count but if I mix them in a cup it doesn't count? Why?

So you are pretty much saying everything that has water in it counts? So since soda is carbonated water with high fructose corn syrup in it,, it still counts as water? Juice with water in it is water. So theoretically you never really have to drink plain water cause everything that is liquid is water?...... ok thanks for the info :huh:

Yes. I sometimes don't drink actual water for days but my urine remains the same pale yellow/near clear color it is when I drink five bottles of water, which means I am no less hydrated while not drinking actual 'water'. You also get hydration from food, btw, but that's understandably harder to quantify than the water in a cup of coffee.

Always happy to spread some information around. *sips ginger ale*

So you pretty much just told everyone they never have to drink pure water again.... Soda all the time. Good luck with that.

That's weird. I must not be reading correctly. I didn't see that anywhere. Time to get my eyes checked, I guess.
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Or maybe we can all agree to disagree....:yawn: :noway: :ohwell:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Yes. I sometimes don't drink actual water for days but my urine remains the same pale yellow/near clear color it is when I drink five bottles of water, which means I am no less hydrated while not drinking actual 'water'. You also get hydration from food, btw, but that's understandably harder to quantify than the water in a cup of coffee.

Always happy to spread some information around. *sips ginger ale*

So you pretty much just told everyone they never have to drink pure water again.... Soda all the time. Good luck with that.

No, they did not.

Also, I never drink 'pure' water.

Dead yet?
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Tea is water with lawn clippings boiled in it. Still water.
    Coffee is water filtered through coffee grounds. Still water.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options

Agreeing to disagree on something that is in fact well understood, studied, and documented in articles from reputable sources that are readily available on the internet seems like it would be a poor strategy.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Haha sorry, i just edited, she* is my doctor*

But the sugars in Kool-Aid (or other mix) and would probably defeat the purpose of drinking water.
    When I use water/ice for my smoothies, the addition of the ingredients in my smoothies dont defeat the purpose of water, but i don't usually count it either as a glass of water.
    I have a huge 32oz sippy cup and just make sure i have at least two of those during the day of watrr alone.

But that was my doctor's view regarding coffee, and thart's my opinion of other mixes.

n/t
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

No.. what more people should do is stop being so condescending. A slippery slope is not a cliff. Perhaps more people should study physics in order to understand what happens on a slippery slope. It's a gradual decline, meaning where does it end? Sound like you are saying that if I eat chili that was made with a broth, then I can count that as water. If I have a bowl of cereal, then count it as water. At some point, yes, it's a gradual decline, a slippery slope. Fruits are an excellent source of water! Watermelon is comprised of 90% water. Let me guess.. you count that, too, right? ;)

If I actually ate watermelon and could get an accurate gauge of how much water was in it...sure, I'd count it. Why not? What, exactly, would counting the watermelon as water do to me to cause a negative reaction? Would I be less hydrated if I ate enough water to have it count as 6-8 cups of water?

No?

Well then.

Like, this so called slippery slope makes zero sense! Who cares what you count as water!? It makes literally no difference at all as long as you're properly hydrated. Broth, diet coke, water, lemonade....NO DIFFERENCE. None. I can't even fathom why people would protest this, as if water is some magical solution and only when drunk untainted by other sources could it possibly give you the hydration it needs!?!?!

This is some straight Tuck Everlasting magic.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options

If I actually ate watermelon and could get an accurate gauge of how much water was in it...sure, I'd count it. Why not? What, exactly, would counting the watermelon as water do to me to cause a negative reaction? Would I be less hydrated if I ate enough water to have it count as 6-8 cups of water?

No?

Well then.

YOU'RE GUNNA DIE, YOU HATE WATERMELON.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Agreeing to disagree on something that is in fact well understood, studied, and documented in articles from reputable sources that are readily available on the internet seems like it would be a poor strategy.

Yep.

For some things, there really is a right and a wrong answer.

BTW - tons and tons of us don't even log water. We just make sure to stay hydrated and leave it at that. And yes, fruits, veggies, etc. all have water in them and contribute to your water intake. Additionally, the milk in your cereal doesn't just suddenly become something other than a liquid because it's added to nummy goodness.